Would this qualify as a bad beat?

Psicosis

So after getting that $25 from EmpireBacker, decided to play. There is a guy on my table who is a calling machine. So, was it a bad call or a bad beat?

***** Hand History for Game 2675440152 *****

0/0 Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL)  - Thu Sep 08 07:46:10 EDT 2005

Table Table  36807 (Real Money) -- Seat 5 is the button

Total number of players : 10

Seat 1: PsiBrown84 ( $2.36)

Seat 9: Comunist ( $55.40)

JTR7353  posts small blind (0.10)

garethttt  posts big blind (0.25)

dalemarsland  posts big blind + dead (0.35)

** Dealing down cards **

Dealt to PsiBrown84 [ Jc, Jh ] 

BadASszZ folds.

Comunist calls (0.25)

BalageW folds.

PsiBrown84 raises (2.36) to 2.36

PsiBrown84 is all-In.

rafiki777 folds.

Simonpar folds.

dalemarsland folds.

Mystye222 folds.

JTR7353 folds.

garethttt folds.

Comunist calls (2.11)

Creating Main Pot with $5.17 with PsiBrown84

** Dealing Flop ** :  [ 7h, 2s, 3d ] 

** Dealing Turn ** :  [ Ah ] 

** Dealing River ** :  [ 6s ] 

** Summary **

Main Pot: $5.17 |  | Rake: $0.25

Board: [ 7h 2s 3d Ah 6s  ]

PsiBrown84 balance $0, lost $2.36 [ Jc Jh ] [ a pair of jacks -- Ah,Jc,Jh,7h,6s ]

Comunist balance $58.21, bet $2.36, collected $5.17, net +$2.81 [ 2d 6h ] [ two pairs, sixes and twos -- Ah,6h,6s,2d,2s ]

BalageW balance $25, didn't bet (folded)

Edited by Psicosis

I remember i got beat against 2 3 of spades with pocket jacks the other week in a game with mates, off the net. The guy got a straight and a flush on the river (no, not a straight flush ;) ) You just gotta think about how many times you've done that to someone else to stop yourself from getting pissed off to be honest, i felt really annoyed for ages, but let it go in the end.

Edited by BleedMe

Going all-in with J-J before the flop, considering you have someone that always calls, it'snt a bad beat. It's just bad luck he paired both his cards. It happens.

A bad beat is going all in with 3 of a kind, only to be suckered by someone that's slowplaying you with the nut straight.....

Going all-in with J-J before the flop, considering you have someone that always calls, it'snt a bad beat. It's just bad luck he paired both his cards. It happens.

A bad beat is going all in with 3 of a kind, only to be suckered by someone that's slowplaying you with the nut straight.....

I don't think that would be a bad beat. if someone is slowplaying you with a better hand and you go all in, then you've fallen into their trap. There's nothing bad beat like about going all in with a worse hand.

Subtle reference to the '88 WSOP, when Erik Seidel flopped a pair of queens, while Johnny Chan got the nut straight......

Since you were running extremely low on chips I'd call it a smart call, if you hadn't of called you would have been fucked as there would have been no point to keep playing unless you were planning to catch a KK or AA within the next couple of hands (and even if you did make a high pocket pair you would have a number of callers as your all in would only be a smidge over blinds).

Couple this in with the fact that the guy was probably going to be bluffing in the hopes of making you fold (which he was) and it's a smart call. You just got outlucked. Like I've said in the past I fucking hate pocket pairs I probably lose 8/10 hands I get them in.

I think the term of "bad beat" is pretty useless now. Too many people who think they know everything there is to know about poker use it everytime they have the best of it and get beat. If that's what a bad beat is supposed to be, then it seems like a pretty useless term, considering that it happens in nearly every hand. That being said, the move you made was correct. Ideally, you would have been dealt the jacks in a later position, but you can't choose that, and you couldn't call or fold there.