Sevendust

Vilge Duin

Is anyone else planning on checking out new album in little over a week?

I completely forgot they had a new album coming out until just the other day. Mainly because I didn't realize they had left their label and their website was of course unupdated (their official one is now http://www.sevendust.info) I've been a fan since I heard Mortal Kombat: Annhilation's soundtrack (My Ruin), and I'm happy they're going back to their heavier roots. But they also are keeping the softer melody side they've gained over the last few albums and the sound mix actually works for once.

Pieces and especially the first single Ugly are great from what I've heard. Can't wait until it comes out, I've come to appreciate new Sevendust promptly every two years in October.

Edited by Vilge Duin

I'll probably get, even though I've spent a ton of money on CD's this year so far... more than any other year ever. Still, Sevendust is one of my favorite bands and I have yet to find any one of their albums anything less than great. They don't need to be super hard or whatever, their thing is more of a melodic style and it works for them. Technically, you can class them as numetal, but there is a distinct feel in their music that sets them apart from 95% of the genre that are pure carbon copies of each other..

If it replaces Animosity as my favorite Sevendust album, I'll be surprised, but I haven't heard it yet... so who knows. But man, that was an awesome album. I still listened to it in full every once in awhile.

This hard rock/metal year is ridicious, as so many albums have come out this year and Sevendust's new album only adds to it. Add to it, the release of Shinedown's "Us and Them" this Tuesday, as well as albums from Tool, In Flames, and the Deftones expected to be done by the end of this year, beginning of 2006, it keeps going. The only bad thing about this is that a lot of bands now won't have a lot come out next year, etc., but still some solid releases slated for next year.

I think what truly sets Sevendust apart from all other "numetal" copycats is Lajon. A lot of bands strive to sound similar in both style and look, because that's what sold when Korn kind of kick started the sub-genre.

However with Lajon he has a background in soul singing and such, his voice is very versatile. He can growl and yell with the best of them, but he can carry a whole song through a great melody with something no other band provides.

The new song Ugly is an example of that, you can listen to it on their site. It strikes the cord that Animosity set. It has hard enough cords and notes, but is also soft. I've gotten many people interested in hard rock and metal in general by just showing them the range over Animosity. Such as Praise, Tits on a Boar, Xmas Day, Angel's Son and Live Again. Hell Shine and Redefine are great as well. That's where they do their best, being right in the middle where they are the only ones.

Enter Blue Guy, have you heard Southside Double-wide? I've meant to check it out since I've always wondered what they would sound like accoustically (after a Tonight Show appearance with Mark McGrath to perform Angel's Son) but have never found it anywhere. Online buying is a no go as well.

Southside Double-Wide is a very nice little album, very relaxing on the ears and shows their best work in a different light.

As for the new album I honestly can't fucking wait. "Ugly" is a top rate song, I can't stop listening to it - "Pieces" I heard months ago and is also very good. I doubt it will beat SOAD for album of the year in my books but it might just be the second best album.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the most annoying news in a long string of them. Next doesn't come out here until the 25th according to HMV. Bunch of bullshit. I still don't understand why Canadian's get things that much later than Americans.

Eh well. Does anyone else on the board have the CD yet? I hyped myself to listen to it, but was sadly disappointed by the news. I still want to know what it sounds like.

I have it and I'm very glad it's got the Sevendust sounds from all albums mixed into different areas. It's a good album, but for some songs the quality doesn't hold while other songs the quality exceeds expectations. "Silence" and "Ugly" are two of the best songs I have heard this year honestly, while I also like "This Life" as it's the lightest Sevendust have ever gone, and they manage it with success. So yeah, has been overall good although not as amazing as the hype for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is almost two weeks old, but the CD just shipped in Canada yesterday. Twas a bitch to find anyways for some reason. Not being backed by Roadrunner and TVT anymore really shows.

This Life may very well become one of my favourite songs in recent memory. A very touching and sincere song for once. I haven't honestly heard something so heartfelt in such a long time.

I didn't like the CD much on my first listen through (lack of sleep, no concentration and a migraine didn't help it), but I've listened to it a couple more times now and it's very well produced and I'm enjoying it emmensly. A bit of everything for everyone. Some heavy stuff from their starting days with Sevendust and Home, some light stuff ala Seasons and plenty of inbetween like Animosity. And some altogether new direction to boot.

Sonny's guitarwork in place of Clint is very noticible. My only problem with the cd is a couple tracks have very aggravating Morgan screaming in the background (namely The Last Song). I prefer when he keeps it quiet. Enemy was the only song I disliked off of Seasons because of him.

Failure and Pieces are probably my favourite tracks after This Life.

Anyone who hasn't heard of Sevendust or are just looking for a excellent hard rock/metal album, I highly recommend you check out Next. One of the best of the year.

Edited by Vilge Duin