RL Tri-Series

Chris the Human

Any Kiwis, Poms, or Aussies following this year's rugby league tri-series? Burning the midnight oil to catch New Zealand vs. Great Britain at the moment, and so far it's been a disappointing game. The New Zealanders are playing all over a very bad looking British side and it's 24-8 at halftime. If Great Britian don't pick up their acts, their series is as good as over.

I wonder how an Australia vs. New Zealand final would work in England? I can't imagine it'd draw much of a crowd.

Yeah it was a disapointing game, although we did have some bright spells, but I didn't expect them to do much, they haven't been together as a unit for long as the season only finished two weeks ago. We'll pick up two wins against the Aussies though and then beat New Zealand again, :shifty:

Brian Carney though was fucking horrendous, at least a Bulls player (Johnson) came out of it with a hat trick.

Brian Carney playing that bad makes me want to cry. We (Newcastle) just signed him for a year. :blink:

I don't fancy Great Britain's chances at all this year. New Zealand have improved immensely from last year, and I'd have backed them to win the whole thing if Jones was playing on. Australia will be weaker without Joey, but not by much.

Australia will piss up anyway they always do, perhaps throwing a game to make it interesting in the process. Rugby Leagues international scene isn't as competetive as the Union international scene and the Tri-Nations unfortunatly proves it. I'm hoping we'll get some quality matches and we bloody well improve for the next game but I feel it will all be for nothing in the end.

That's not so true this year. New Zealand have been the best team of the tournament so far and they're missing crucial players like Sonny-Bill Williams and Benji Marshall. We're missing... Hindmarsh really is the only guy I'd say we're missing. Maybe Simpson.

Man us Kiwis would tear you apart if we had Benji, Sonny Bill, Utai, Vanikolo and so forth....nobody would of stood a chance....

Dumb move bringing in Prince IMO, Gower or Barrett could have easily taken that place, he wasn't needed.

Our Lineup would shit all over everbody if we had a lineup of Webb/Utai/Vagana/Toopi (Or Whatiura, not diff IMO)/Vanikolo/Marshall/Jones/Williams/Lauititi/Solomona/Wiki/Tony/Rauhihi with Puletua, Pritchard, Faiumu and whoever else on the bench....crazy lineup.

So what's everyones predictions for the match this Saturday?

I'm going 26-24 to Great Britain.

I'm glad they've dropped Burrows (I f'n hate him) and Fozzard and brought in Iestyn Harris and Richard Horne.

I'm not sure about Carney keeping his place but he's said to have been good in training so hopefully he can recover from his lapse last week.

Squads:-

Australia: A Minichiello (Sydney Roosters); M King (Melbourne), M Gasnier (St George Illawarra), M Cooper (St George Illawarra), B Tate (Brisbane); D Lockyer (Brisbane, capt), S Prince (Wests Tigers); S Price (NZ Warriors), D Buderus (Newcastle), P Civoniceva (Brisbane), L O'Donnell (North Queensland), C Fitzgibbon (Sydney Roosters), B Kennedy (Manly).

Substitutes (from): T Barrett (St George Illawarra), J Ryles (St George Illawarra), M O'Meley (Canterbury), W Mason (Canterbury), N Hindmarsh (Parramatta).

Great Britain 19-man squad: Paul Wellens (St Helens); Brian Carney (Wigan), Martin Gleeson Warrington), Keith Senior (Leeds), Chev Walker (Leeds), Leon Pryce (Bradford), Iestyn Harris (Bradford), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds), Paul Deacon (Bradford), Richard Horne (Hull), Adrian Morley (Sydney Roosters, Keiron Cunningham (St Helens), Micky Higham (St Helens), Stuart Fielden (Bradford), Jamie Thackray (Hull), Paul Johnson (Bradford), Jamie Peacock (Bradford, capt), Lee Gilmour (St Helens), Gareth Ellis (Leeds).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Great Britain vs. Australia match turned out to be a little disappointing, but how good did the Lions look in this morning's clash against New Zealand? 38-12 is a damn fine result, and Carney really showed that he's still one the game's best wingers.

If Great Britain win by 2-7 next weekend against Australia, it'll be Australia vs. Great Britian in the final. If they win by eight or more it'll be Great Britain vs. New Zealand. If they lose, the dreaded Australia vs. New Zealand bout will take place.

Ouch, what a disappointing end do the regular series. Truthfully, I wasn't expecting much from Great Britain. Every year they set themselves up for this kind of heartbreak by talking up their fairy-tale, and every year the Australians bring them to a shuddering halt.

Personally I'm praying that New Zealand get up in the final. Does anyone know if Stacey Jones is playing?

New Zealand have confirmed that Stacey Jones will play in Saturday's Tri-Nations final against Australia.

The 29-year-old scrum-half has already made four comebacks in the last two months but is set to claim his 40th cap at Elland Road.

Jones is currently in Auckland with his wife Rachelle preparing for the birth of their third child.

"That really shows how important the jersey and his team-mates are to him," said Kiwis coach Brian McClennan.

"I can't say enough good things about him he really has shown his dedication and commitment. It's great to have him back again."

Edited by LBTN™ Version2

Guest 12characters

Yeah, hope my Kiwis can get up in the final. So glad Jones is playing, without him we would be pretty much fucked. The big danger is that in recent times, New Zealand can't seem to win away from home. The away win against the Kangaroos was an exception to the usual rule. Besides, so many key players are missing. But we always do play with spirit and it should be a wicked game.

Prediction: Australia 32 - New Zealand 24 :(

How do you guys reckon it'll go?

PS: LBTN, no one in NZ really respects Great Britain as a side anyway haha.

Still undecided about whether or not I'll get up at 5am for the live telecast or just catch a replay on cable. The latter is tempting after the day I had.

As much as I'd love to see NZ get up - I think it'll be Australia 22 New Zealand 14.

Whoa, they did it. Not only did New Zealand hand Australia their first series defeat in over twenty five years - they also held the Kangaroos scoreless for the first time since 1985. The New Zealanders outshone the Aussies in cold conditions on their way to a big 24-0 win in the final - sending the tri nations trophy to New Zealand.

I must say I'm rapt with the result. Not only does it give international RL much needed credibility - but it should also spell the end of Wayne Bennet's obsession with picking the same guys every year regardless of their form.