Power Struggle: WCW 1999

tqwcw

Friday, July 10th, 1999

9:12am

Office of Tom Quinn, Vice-President of World Championship Wrestling

Atlanta, Georgia

Friday morning, I was upbeat. I had meetings scheduled with Arn Anderson and my top candidate to replace Craig Leathers, Amanda Cutler. In addition, I planned to put together the first draft of my script for Bash at the Beach. As I began my day by browsing the dirt sheets online, Jamie entered my office. I smiled. "How'd you like Thunder?"

"No time for chit-chat now," Jamie said. "Siegel's on the phone."

This was a surprise. I hadn't spoken to Brad since early in the week; he had been complimentary about the bump in Nitro's ratings. I picked up the phone. "Mr. Siegel," I said.

"Tom," said Brad. "Listen, I just read through my assistant's notes on last night's show and noticed that Sting worked Thunder for the second week in a row."

"That's right," I said. I should have known that this would come up.

"Enlighten me," he said. "We're over budget. Now isn't the best time to be coughing up extra pay-offs to top-tier talents."

"I agree," I said. "But, to be frank, sir, the only way we're going to start bringing in money again is if we sell pay-per-views, and I can't sell pay-per-views on our television if my main-eventers aren't available to me." As I've mentioned before, Steve Borden's contract stipulates that he is under no obligation to work Thunder -- ever. If I want to use him, Steve first has to agree to do the show, and we then have to compensate him for working the extra date. "I'm cutting costs where I can," I continued. "Craig Leathers was pulling in six figures. His replacement's price tag won't even be half of that."

Siegel paused. "All right," he said. "I suppose it's a matter of waiting to see what kind of buyrate the Bash does. Last month we did a .43; I'm looking for something significantly higher."

"So am I," I responded.

"We'll talk next week," he said, and hung up.

The call was a powerful reminder that I was under a microscope in a big way.

Half an hour later, I met with Arn Anderson in the conference room.

"So," he smiled. "Am I the next guy on the hitlist? Am I about to get the Kevin Sullivan treatment?" he asked.

"Not quite," I said. "Actually, I wanted to meet with you because I have a lot of respect for you, because of your work as a performer and your work backstage. The thing that struck me the most the first time I was back in the locker room was the level of tension between the guys. Sullivan didn't exactly promote a cooperative, productive atmosphere. But I think you can."

"You want me to take his spot?" he asked.

"There are a lot of guys I'm looking at as potential agents, but you're the one with the most knowledge of the business and also the one who commands the most respect. There's a lot of work to be done, but I think if anyone can oversee it, it's you," I replied.

Arn clasped his hands. He seemed troubled. "I love this business," he said. "And I want to see this company succeed. But this is a serious commitment. A lot of stress, and a lot of time on the road."

"Right. Essentially, I'm asking you to do what Jim Ross does for Vince," I nodded.

"I've got to talk to my wife," he said. "There are some personal issues involved."

"I understand that. I don't want you rushing to any decisions. So, take however much time you need. No pressure."

To Arn, this was a choice between career and family and for him, it would not be an easy one to make.

Friday, July 10th, 1999

Noon

Fort Lauderdale International Airport

This was one of those odd occasions on which WCW and WWF talent and personnel overlapped in their travel. WCW guys were heading into Fort Lauderdale; WWFers were headed out. It was the biggest WWF name of all who noticed Ric Flair waiting for his car service near baggage claim.

"Ric," said Vince McMahon, approaching Flair with a big grin.

"Vince!" Ric said. "How ya doin'? I just saw Briscoe and Hayes a couple of minutes ago."

"Yep," answered Vince. "Everyone's passing through."

"Vince, I felt real good about our last conversation," stated Ric.

"So did I. I assume that means things haven't changed for you despite their replacing Eric with the kid," Vince reasoned.

"No, it's more of the same. January 1st, baby. You know what I mean?" Ric asked.

"I'd love to build you up for Mania," Vince said.

"There's nothin' wrong with that plan," Ric smiled.

Scott Hudson looked on from baggage claim...

Friday, July 10th, 1999

1:43pm

SAGE Bistro

Decateur, Georgia

An expense account is a beautiful thing.

Amanda Cutler couldn't have weighed more that 110 pounds. She had a Jeanine Garofalo kind of thing going with her look -- dark clothes, thick-rimmed glasses. She spoke like her, too.

"Listen," she told me. "I'm not passionate about rassling, but the hours and travel -- that's what I want. I watched the shows this week. They need some serious help, and I would guess that's why we're here today. You want a product that looks good? A product that speaks to a wider audience? I can give you that."

"Consider me interested," I said.

IPB Image

Friday WCW Newswire

Sting appeared on The Late Late Show with Conan O'Brien on Thursday night to promote Sunday's BASH AT THE BEACH pay-per-view. Aside from briefly discussing the PPV, Sting mentioned his being a born-again Christian, and the fact that his religious views sometimes conflict with what surrounds him in WCW...

Kevin Sullivan and Dusty Rhodes both have been removed from effective positions of power within WCW. For the moment, Sullivan has been reassigned to the Powerplant to work with prospects on their promos, while Rhodes is working as a talent scout in the southeast. Sources indicate that management's hope is to transition in road agents and booking team members with "fresher" perspectives on the product...

WCW has hired former MTV producer Amanda Cutler to replace departing Craig Leathers as executive producer. Cutler will be backstage at the BASH. WCW's production values and overall approach are expected to be completely revamped over the next several months...

WCW is conscious of the fact that, despite being booked as a heel, Curt Hennig is actually being received enthusiastically by crowds in his "country" role. Expect a new direction for the Rednecks following the pay-per-view...

Dallas Page was a guest on Thursday's WCW Live internet show and lobbied for greater on-air use of his wife, Kimberly...

A number of undercard wrestlers will likely be assigned to Bill Behrens's "Atlanta Championship Wrestling" territory next week...

World Heavyweight Title Match

Sting & Kevin Nash © vs. Randy Savage & Sid (w/Team Madness)

The wrestler who scores the pin or submission wins/retains the World Heavyweight Title.

Winner: Sting

World Tag Team Title Match

Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Bam Bam Bigelow © (w/Kanyon)

Winners: Benoit and Saturn

Roddy Piper vs. Buff Bagwell

Winner: Bagwell

Ten Man Battle Royal: US Heavyweight Title Match

Participants: Booker T, The Cat, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Kanyon, Meng, Steven Regal, Stevie Ray, and a tenth man to be named

Winner: Jericho

10th Man Guess: Scott Steiner

Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match

West Texas Rednecks vs. Konnan & Rey Mysterio, Jr. & Billy Kidman & Swoll

Winners: WTR

Surivior: Henning

World Television Title Match

Disco Inferno vs. Rick Steiner ©

Winner: Disco

Hardcore Match

Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity)

Winner: Hak

Chavo Guerrero, Jr. vs. Psicosis

Winner: Chavo

Guest Wolfpac

The wrestler who scores the pin or submission wins/retains the World Heavyweight Title.

Winner - Kevin Nash maybe by DQ

Plus - I see Goldberg making an impact in this match aswell.

Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Bam Bam Bigelow © (w/Kanyon)

Winners - Benoit and Saturn. Getting a good push of late and it will continue with them winning the Tag Team Gold.

Winner - Buff Bagwell

Participants: Booker T, The Cat, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Kanyon, Meng, Steven Regal, Stevie Ray, and a tenth man to be named

Winner - Booker T

10 Entrant - Being Ric Flair

Winner - West Texas Rednecks

Survivor - Curt Henning

Winner - Disco

Hardcore Match

Winner - Hugh Morrus

Winner - Chavo Guerrero Jr

Winner: Kevin Nash, possibly to go into a program with Sting, since you've been hyping up some tension between the two. At any rate, I think taking the belt off Nash could be a bad idea at this point.

Winner: Page and Bigelow

Winner: Bagwell, Piper is too damn old.

Winner: The Tenth Entrant

Tenth Entrant: Bret Hart, because I have no idea.

Winner: Hennig

Winner: Disco

Hardcore Match

Winner: Hak

Winner: Chavo

- Sting and Nash, Nash getting the pinfall. Having the belt change hands in a match like this would be a bad idea. If I remember correctly, Savage actually won the match and title, and that really turned me off from the product, not because HE won in it, but HOW he won it.

- Benoit and Saturn. Sure you might have some bigger plans for Benoit, but this would be one step to rebuilding the tag division until you have a regular team to take the titles.

- Bagwell. I had forgotten Bagwell was part of this angle. He was actually pretty good at the time, or at least I liked him because of his association with the younger guys. In no way should Piper go over, because in no way should this feud extend to another match.

- Eddie, 10th Man is Goldberg I guess, I have no clue. Although Eddie and Jericho seem like faces, this could be a way to set up an Edde and Jericho vs. Goldberg feud, maybe even with Goldberg as a heel, or an Eddie vs. Jericho feud.

- Rednecks, Survivor - Hennig

- Disco

Hardcore Match

- Hak, taking out Morrus, so Morrus can take time off to lose weight.

- Chavo

FINAL CARD

No way should Nash lose it here. In real life, It was just too lame. Looks like we might get Sting/Nash in August, So Nash retains here to build up heat for the match. The only way the belt changes hands is if Sting wins it. And I can only see that happening if Sting gets the pin after Nash does the work. (like Nash powerbombs someone, But Sting gets the pin) But I'll go with Nash retaining. Maybe he'll take Sting's pin fall?

I don't expect it to happen, But I think DDP is too good to be a tag champ right now. Benoit and Saturn will win it here, But drop the titles in a few weeks.

Buff sucks, But there's no need to job him out to the old guy.

Beats me? I wish it was Scott Hall or Alex Wright :D I think it's someone who's debuting, But I have no idea who. So I'll just say Chris Benoit enters the thing and wins it, Winning two titles in one night.

WTR have been getting the better out of the rapping fools at every turn. It's time for them to lose. Kidman pins Hennig for payback from their last match.

Disco's taking the belt here. Maybe you'll be like the real WCW and push Steiner? Even though he sucks? Oh well, I'd mark out for a Alex Wright/Disco Inferno feud.

Hardcore Match

Just cause Hak's cooler.

Chavo is KING. Plus, I have a feeling he'll join Eddie/Jericho soon. Plus, He's taking the belt from Rey imo.

I been reading up on the diary, Great stuff so far. I like how you're booking realistic, By having some lower card scrubs wrestle on Nitro, Just like WCW used to, Even though it always cost them ratings. Keep up the good work (Y)

-I think that Nash will find a way to steal the win from Sting here.

-Benoit & Saturn should win I think, the feud could continue though.

-Bagwell is the only one who would have anything to gain from this.

-Could is possibly be...Ric Flair?

-Disco is just better in all areas.

Hardcore Match

-The better HC wrestler by far...

-Could start Chavo's push to the top of the Cruiserweight Division.

Nash will keep the belt just because he's making a big deal out of losing his heat in the backstage stuff.

Benoit should be doing something else, so keep the belts on the Triad and move him and Saturn into other programs says I.

Who cares? It's only Buff Bagwell.

By far Jericho and Eddy are the most interesting characters here, so one of them would have to win. And Jericho would be rather pissed if it were his partner who won it. As for the tenth guy.....Raven.

The Filthy Animals didn't have a special written about THEM in the PWFlame, now did they? Hennig gets the win.

Is there seriously any doubt here? Rick Steiner is the ultimate suck, so taking the belt off him would be a very good idea.

Hardcore Match

Hugh Morrus....or The Sandman? Yeah, I know who I'd choose here.

Sadly, because I think Psi would make a really good Cruiser champ.

-I see Nash getting the puins and thusly, retaining the gold. I hope it's that way as I think it'd be a mistake for Nash to lose the title at this point.

-Gotta go with the Triad on this one. I see this fued continuing. After all, Page has disrespected Beniot by using the crossface on him.

-Good to see someone liked Buff briefly, as I did. This would be best as maybe Buff could go onto better things or continue the fued. Hard to say.

-This guy has been hyped as a big name and my guess would be Goldberg. Then we have a face US champion Goldberg against heel Eddie and Jericho. Huge overness bumps for both Jericho and Guerrero. Needs more Alex Wright. :)

-Filthy Animals win and the Rednecks turn on Henning.

-Disco = minty fresh while Steiner is a pile of suck. Fued will most likely continue as Disco will probably Cheat 2 Win.

Hardcore Match

-Hak. 'Nuff said.

-I see Chavo joining up with Eddie or possibly teaming up against them. Either way, Chavo wins. Pepe!

Nash retains. As it's been said, this is too stupid a way to lose a title.

It's Chris Benoit, and he's real mad! Chris Benoit and he's real angry!

At this point, Piper's 45, Buff's 29. Almost needs to happen.

I feel it's almost obvious it's either Eddie or Jericho, and I'm opting for Jericho. I'm also guessing the tenth man is...uh...Glacier. Why the hell not.

Hennig and Barry both survive. I say this thinking there's no way a team with Swoll can win.

Rick Steiner single handedly killed the TV title's credibility, and I think you're going to try and change that.

Hardcore Match

I just don't think Hugh Morrus can ever win.

Chavo's the man.

• 1 month later...

IPB Image

Sunday, July 11th, 1999

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Hosted by Tony Schiavone, Mike Tenay, & Bobby Heenan

-A brief video recapping the Nash/Sting/Savage/Sid situation airs.

-The show began with a high-energy pyro display, during which the Nitro Girls, clad in beachwear, appeared and did a dance. The pay-per-view set had a beachside theme, with a sandy area set up off to the side adorned with such props as an umbrella, a surfboard, a cooler, and a shovel and pale. While this was going on, the announcers kicked off the show.

Schiavone: Fort Lauderdale, Florida has battened down the hatches, because World Championship Wrestling is here, and it is the Bash at the Beach! The moment has arrived after weeks and weeks of anticipation, and Bobby Heenan, what a spectacular event this should be.

Heenan: Can you imagine what is going to happen tonight, Schiavone? When Nash, Sting, Savage, and Sid step into that ring in a tag team match with the World Heavyweight Title on the line? This thing could get out of hand. Savage is a lunatic, Sting and Nash can barely stand each other, and then there’s the x-factor -- the World Title. This is going to be big. You heard it here first.

Schiavone: Message received loud and clear, Brain, and Mike Tenay, “The Professor,” good to have you with us. So many questions, so much on the line here tonight.

Tenay: Well, Tony, we’ve heard from Kevin Nash that he is prepared to do anything to hold onto that prestigious World Heavyweight Championship title, and I think he will have to pull out all the stops to leave Fort Lauderdale and make it to Miami for Nitro as the World Champion. And then there’s Goldberg. We learned last Monday on Nitro in Atlanta that Da Man would be here tonight on pay-per-view, and that he has some kind of statement to make about his future. What could that be?

Schiavone: That’s a very good question, and we will presumably learn the answer a little later on this evening. A new United States Champion will be crowned. The World Tag Team Titles will be on the line. Ric Flair is here. What about the driver of the hummer? It has certainly shaped up to be a big night in World Championship Wrestling; right now, it’s time to kick things off with our opening bout!

1- Eight-Man Elimination Tag Team Match: Konnan & World Cruiserweight Champion Rey Mysterio, Jr. & Billy Kidman & Swoll vs. The West Texas Rednecks (Curt Hennig & Barry Windham & Bobby Duncum, Jr. & Kendall Windham).

Referee: Billy Silverman

The faces entered, and Konnan did his usual mic routine upon reaching the ring. The Rednecks then came out, and the announcers quickly recapped the history behind this match, noting that Hennig did make good on his promise to run Master P out of World Championship Wrestling.

Kidman and Duncum tied up to begin the match, and we were reminded of the role that Hennig’s fellow Rednecks played in helping to secure him a victory over Kidman six days earlier on Nitro. Kidman’s quickness in the opening moments of the match surprised Duncum; Kidman ducked under and slid through Duncum’s legs after Duncum attempted a clothesline. Kidman then hit a leapfrop and dropkicked Duncum’s back before Duncum had time to turn around. Duncum gathered his composure in the corner, and then charged in at Kidman and was able to apply the side headlock. He snapmared him, and with Kidman in a seated position on the mat, Duncum hit some stiff kicks to Kidman’s back. Duncum sent Kidman into the ropes and hit a big powerslam. He dragged Kidman by the boot over to the Rednecks’ corner and tagged in Barry Windham, who immediately dropped a knee on Kidman’s face. Windham sent Kidman into the turnbuckle front first, and caught Kidman on the rebound with a backdrop suplex for the two count. Windham stomped Kidman a few times. While Kidman worked to get to his feet afterward, Windham measured him and moved in for a right hand, but Kidman took the much larger veteran down with a drop toe hold. Kidman hit the springboard legdrop, and then made the tag to Konnan. Konnan sent Windham into the ropes and connected with the back elbow. It was then time for the rolling clothesline, and then a Northern Lights suplex for a two count. After the pin attempt, Windham was able to regain a vertical base and he and Konnan had a staredown. Konnan played to the crowd and Windham responded by giving the crowd the international symbol for “up yours.” Konnan charged at Windham, who was able to get a boot up to Konnan’s midsection. Windham suplexed Konnan and got a two count. Windham got Konnan back to his feet in the middle of the ring and appeared to be setting up for a clothesline off the ropes, but Konnan caught Windham as he charged in and took him down with an inverted atomic drop. Konnan backed up near the Rednecks’ corner, perhaps setting up for the baseball slide dropkick onto Windham, but Hennig went after Konnan by reaching out and tugging on the bandana that Konnan has tied around his head. Konnan jawed with Hennig, and this gave the winded Windham the chance to stumble over to Konnan and get him in a schoolboy roll-up and score the first pin and elimination! Konnan was furious, but Silverman ordered him out of the ring and to the back. While Konnan wished his teammates well, the satisfied Windham tagged in Hennig; Swoll was in next for Team Hip-Hop. Swoll hiptossed Hennig early on, catching the former US Champ off-guard. Hennig moved toward Swoll with more caution, but received another hip toss for his trouble! Hennig consulted Silverman, accusing Swoll of pulling his hair. Silverman wasn't biting, and while Hennig was busy bickering, the big Swoll grabbed Hennig, carried him over his shoulder, and slammed him in the center of the ring for a two count. Hennig was now angry; he faked Swoll out, challenging him to a test of strength but kicking him in the gut before the tie-up. Swoll had the wind knocked out of him. Hennig backed Swoll into the corner and hit several chops. Swoll stumbled to the center of the ring; Hennig charged at him and hit his high knee lift, knocking Swoll to the mat. Swoll sat up; this proved to be a mistake, as Hennig sprinted from the corner and went over Swoll’s head with the neck snap. Hennig was extremely pleased with himself and slowly covered Swoll, who powered out with authority. Swoll got to his feet; Hennig went for a kick but Swoll caught Hennig by the boot and took him off his feet. Swoll allowed Hennig to stand; Hennig, disoriented, took some swings at Swoll and they were blocked. Hennig stumbled back to his home corner and tagged in Kendall. Kendall charged at Swoll, who knocked him down with a punch. Kendall got up and was again taken down. Kendall was on his knees; Swoll came toward him, and Kendall was able to grab the back of Swoll’s legs and take him off his feet. Kendall went for a pinning combination and got another two count. Kendall got up and dropped a fist on Swoll. Kendall grabbed Swoll by the head, bringing him to his feet. Swoll tried to shake off his disorientation. Kendall set up for the traditional Windham finisher, the Running Bulldog, but Swoll had the presence of mind to counter with what turned into a Side Saltow; he was even able to get a two count out of this. Swoll tried making the tag to Rey, but Kendall was able to put the kibosh on that. He dropped Swoll’s jaw on his (Kendall’s) knee, and then dragged him over to the Rednecks’ corner. Kendall indicated to the crowd that “it’s over!” and Bobby Duncum extended his foot out onto the turnbuckle. Kendall drove Swoll’s head into the boot, and the announcers noticed that there was some kind of spur on Duncum’s boot. Whatever it was did the trick, and Swoll was in no condition to counteract the Running Bulldog this time; the move secured Kendall the second elimination in the match! Swoll rolled to the outside while the two smaller, remaining members of the face team prepared for an uphill struggle against the four heels. Kendall gestured for Rey to enter the ring, and Rey obliged, leaping over the rope, charging at Kendall, bouncing off the nearby rope, and hitting his own Bulldog on the stunned younger Windham brother. Rey rallied the crowd, and Schiavone noted that it would appear to be a mistake to count Rey and Kidman out! With Kendall prone on the mat, Rey leapt over him and went off the ropes with a beautiful Asai Moonsault for the two count. Getting to their feet, Kendall grabbed Rey in a desperation wristlock, but Rey flipped out of it and again headed for the ropes, catapulting himself into a Thesz Press onto Kendall. Kendall had no escape from the pin attempt, and Rey scored the 1-2-3! The Rednecks reacted with horror as Kendall, barely conscious, rolled outside. Rey and Kidman looked for the crowd’s approval and got it. Rey tagged in Kidman as Barry came in for the Rednecks. Kidman and Barry locked up, and Barry backed Kidman into the corner. Barry drove a knee into Kidman’s midsection and sent Kidman slumping in the corner following a forearm shot. Barry then picked Kidman up and set him up on the top rope for a Suplerplex, which he hit. Kidman kicked out at two after a Windham cover, however. Barry then methodically prepared for a Russian Legsweep, but Kidman comes out of nowhere with the small package on Barry! Barry was caught so off-guard that he was unable to kick out, and was eliminated! He initially refused to leave the ring in outrage but was finally firmly sent away by Silverman. Before Kidman and Rey had the chance to celebrate the evening of the odds, Duncum entered the ring and Pearl Harbored Kidman, going immediately for the pin and getting a two. Duncum tried picking Kidman up for a side slam, but Kidman blocked it by putting his foot down firmly. Duncum lunged at Kidman, who had the presence of mind to grab Duncum’s arm and take him down with a modified DDT. Duncum tried getting up again but was sent for a ride with a Kidman headscissors. Kidman then pleased the crowd by making the tag to Rey. Rey exploded off the top rope with a dropkick on Duncum for the near-fall. Once they were face to face again, Duncum hit Rey with a stiff open-palm thrust, rendering Rey groggy. He whipped Rey into the corner and charged in with an attempted splash. Rey moved to avoid it. Duncum lay prone in the corner. Hennig entered, but was sent down to the floor by a diving forearm shot from Rey. This gave Rey the chance to go for the Bronco Buster on Duncum. That incapacitated Duncum, so Rey went up top, perhaps to prepare for a super hurricanrana. Hennig, having recovered outside, was able to shove Rey off the top rope. Duncum picked Rey up, gave him a big boot after an Irish Whip, and then slammed him following an airplane spin for the three count! Kidman wasted no time mourning the loss of his last remaining partner, however, and he charged at Duncum, who sent Kidman down with a right hand. Duncum connected with a big legdrop. He told the crowd that Kidman was finished, and positioned for a powerbomb. As usual, Kidman countered the attempt with a face jam, and eliminated Duncum! Once Duncum had been removed from the ring, Hennig and Kidman went face to face in recognition of the fact that this was a return showdown from Nitro, of sorts. Hennig caught Kidman in an arm drag and twist, and then tried throwing Kidman over the top rope. Kidman hung on, though, and landed on the apron. Hennig tried finishing the job, but was backdropped to the outside instead. Kidman then shot himself over the top rope onto Hennig, and both men found themselves down on the outside in agony. They were both able to stand around the same time, and Hennig hit Kidman first with a double ax handle. He rolled Kidman back inside. When he returned to the ring, Hennig covered Kidman with a bridge but got a two count. Hennig weakened Kidman considerably further with a stuff piledriver. Finally, it was time for the Hennigplex, but just before Curt was able to put on the move, Kidman came out of nowhere with a jawbreaker! Once again, both men were down. Kidman broke the ten-count at nine, and dragged Hennig over to the corner. He signaled for the Shooting Star Press and headed up top. He executed the spectacular move, but Hennig rolls out of the way, and nobody was home when Kidman hit the mat! Kidman sold the botch as though he had broken a couple of ribs. Hennig, running on empty, exploited this by dropping an elbow right across Kidman’s chest. He tried for a pin, but amazingly only got to 2.9. Hennig sent Kidman into the ropes, and Kidman came up with a second wind, hit the Sunset Flip, and pinned Hennig!

Post-match, Kidman’s team mates returned to the ring to celebrate the victory. Konnan covered the face of the unconscious Hennig with a cowboy hat...

WINNER: Team Kidman at 16:39

STAR RATING: *1/2

- In the back, “Mean” Gene Okerlund was with “The Mouth of the South” Jimmy Hart and Hugh Morrus.

Okerlund: We are just getting started live in Fort Lauderdale, and I’m joined at this time by the brains behind the First Family, Jimmy Hart, and one of his more menacing charges, Hugh Morrus. Tonight, it’s a Hardcore Match: it’ll be Morrus vs. Hardcore Hak, who has quite the bone to pick.

Hart: Hak has a bone to pick? Mean Gene, the world was watching when Chastity had the audacity to reject Hugh Morrus live on national television.

Okerlund: Perhaps that was because Chastity is already spoken for, Hart -- she and Hak are involved!

Morrus: Gene, the bottom line is that I don’t take rejection well, because, frankly, I’m just not rejected very often. As a matter of fact, a lot of places, people know me as “Mojo.” “Mojo Morrus.”

Hart: That’s right. And tonight, Chastity’s going to come to understand why it was a mistake to laugh in the fact of Mojo’s advances, because Hak is going to take the beating of his life. It’s going to be hardcore, Gene.

2- World Television Title Match: Disco Inferno vs. Rick Steiner ©

Referee: Scott Dickinson

Before the match, Disco Inferno stropped Rick Steiner and generously gave him the opportunity to hand over the title and walk away. After Steiner responded by decking Disco, Dickinson had the bell rung for the start of the match.

Steiner went on the offensive early on, pounding away on Disco’s back. Steiner slammed him in the center of the ring and dropped an elbow across his throat. Disco tried countering an attempted hiptoss, but Rick delivered a stiff Steinerline to take Disco down. Disco floated over on an attempted suplex only to end up eating a knuckle sandwich. There was virtually no hope for Disco at this point. Steiner seemed to show no interest in ending the match, however; he was perfectly happy to inflict more punishment. Indeed, he walked over to a corner and began tearing off a turnbuckle pad, exposing the steel. Dickinson tried to intervene, but backed off when Steiner shoved him away. Disco slowly got to his feet on the other side of the ring. Rick returned to him and kicked Disco in the soler plexus. He prepared to whip Disco into the exposed turnbuckle, but Disco worked up a second wind and reversed the whip! Steiner’s back ended up colliding with the unforgiving steel! Overcome by the pain, Steiner was unable to avoid Disco’s kick to his stomach which, as usual, served as the prelude to the Chartbuster. In what might be considered a fluke, Disco Inferno picked up the win and his third World Television Title!

WINNER: Disco Inferno at 5:52

STAR RATING: *1/4

- In the parking lot, busybody The Cat was on the lookout for the elusive Hummer and its driver...

3- World Tag Team Title Match: Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Bam Bam Bigelow ©

Referee: Mickey Jay

After weeks of build-up, the two teams finally met. We were forced to wait for Benoit and Page’s highly-anticipated lock-up, however; Benoit started out against Bigelow, who enjoyed his size advantage after an early burst of Benoit’s typical energetic offense. Saturn took on Bigelow next, with the action spilling to the outside. Bam Bam attempted a splash on Saturn against the guardrail, but Saturn moved. With Bigelow prone and spread out uncomfortably atop the guardrail, Saturn quickly went up to the ring apron and dropped an insane elbow on Bam Bam on the outside, earning this month’s paycheck. This exchange took both men out of commission for a large chunk of the match. Minutes later, Benoit and Page were finally face-to-face in the ring. After exchanging slaps, they ended up in the corner exchanging chops. Benoit wanted to go for a German Suplex, but Page slipped out and delivered his variation of the Belly-to-Belly. When Benoit slowly stood, Page attempted his insulting Crossface, but Benoit easily countered it and sent Page back into the corner with a high elevation dropkick. Page stumbled out of the corner and Benoit measured him. Although it seemed he might attempt another German Suplex, what he ended up doing was taking a page out of DDP’s book and attempting a Diamond Cutter, furthering the feud over finishers between the two. Benoit executed the modified Diamond Cutter but, spent, was slow to go for the pin. He finally went for the cover, and just as it seemed he would get the three and earn himself and Saturn the World Tag Team Titles, Benoit was pulled off of Page by Kanyon, who had snuck to ringside! Benoit instinctively ran the ropes and took Kanyon out with an authoritative baseball slide dropkick. Page, however, had had time to regain his bearings. Benoit returned to the ring and headed over to Page to resume his offense, but Page was ready with a desperation Diamond Cutter that allowed him to secure the pin!

Post-match, the complete Triad stumbled up the ramp with their tag team championship while Saturn, barely in one piece, helped Benoit to his feet. Schiavone declared that Benoit and Saturn had been robbed.

WINNERS: Page & Bigelow at 10:14

STAR RATING: ***

- Buff Bagwell was being interviewed by Mark Madden at the WCW.com booth in the back...

4- United States Heavyweight Title Match: 10-Man Over The Top Rope Battle Royal

Referees: Nick Patrick and Charles Robinson

Dean Malenko came to the ring as the first entrant in the match. There would be four initial entrants with an additional competitor added every minute until all ten competitors had entered. Entrant two was the monster, Meng. Malenko and Meng stared each other down from opposite corners, with Tenay noting that any match-up between the two would constitute a clash in styles. Next up, the Crusaders Against Tyranny, Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero, came to the ring in concert. Instead of focusing on what was supposed to be the start of the match, they grabbed a microphone and demanded to know the identity of the mystery entrant immediately. Stinko Malenko and Meng seized the opportunity to catch the Crusaders off-guard and attacked, officially signaling the start of the match.

Guerrero & Malenko and Meng & a petrified Jericho paired up in the opening minutes. Entrant number five was Steven Regal. Regal, Jericho, and Guerrero proceeded to work together to try and dump Meng to no avail. While The Cat came in as entrant six, Meng recovered from the three-on-one and regained his composure so that when Jericho came at him with a charge, Meng was able to lock on the painful Tongan Death Grip! Jericho smartly maneuvered himself to the center of the ring so that he could not be eliminated. When Eddie Guerrero mocked The Cat’s leopard print tights, Cat charged at him with a series of standing side kicks. Kanyon returned to the ring as entrant number seven. Kanyon, prematurely boastful, immediately found himself on the receiving end of Meng’s Kick of Fear. Malenko worked over Guerrero, preparing to catapult him toward the turnbuckle and, with any luck, over the top rope, but Jericho came to his fellow Crusader’s rescue and threw Deano Machino out of the ring by his hair. Dean Malenko was the first man eliminated. Booker T then entered the match. Regal worked over Meng, but Cat came out of nowhere with a thrust kick that sent Regal over the top rope. Steven Regal was the second man eliminated. The Cat got a little too overconfident, however, as Meng immediately turned around and simply powered Cat out of the ring. The Cat was the third man eliminated. While Booker T jockeyed for position with Eddie Guerrero in the corner, his brother Stevie Ray came out as entrant nine. Booker, Guerrero, Jericho, Kanyon, Meng, and Stevie Ray battled it out amongst each other for the remainder of the next period until the tenth man sprinted to the ring and was recognizable almost immediately -- Raven was the mystery entrant! While the other competitors all paused to react, Raven wasted little time, pounding away immediately on Booker T. After taking Booker off his feet with a dropkick to Booker’s knee, Raven looked into the camera and posed. He had an Egyptian Ankh symbol painted over one eye, and Schiavone feared that Raven had only grown more bizarre since the last time we saw him. Kanyon approached Raven to welcome his on-again/off-again friend and rival Raven back, and Raven responded by delivering an Evenflo DDT. He then brought Kanyon to his feet and tossed him over the top rope. Kanyon was the fourth man eliminated. Meng clubbed away at Stevie Ray in the corner, and although they haven’t seen eye to eye in WCW in quite some time, Booker T went over to provide his brother some relief. Indeed, working in concert, the former Harlem Heat was able collectively to backdrop Meng to the outside. Meng was the fifth man eliminated. Stevie Ray embraced his brother -- and then grabbed him by the arm and tried to eliminate him! Booker had none of that and broke out a Harlem Sidekick seemingly from nowhere to eliminate Stevie Ray. Stevie Ray was the sixth man eliminated. Eddie, meanwhile, worked away on Raven and tried for a snap suplex. Raven blocked it and hit another Evenflo DDT. Raven raised his arms, looking for the crowd to recognize his strong showing in the match. Jericho came out of nowhere with a Springboard dropkick, though, that sent Raven backwards over the top rope. Raven was the seventh man eliminated. Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, and Chris Jericho remained. Eddie limped over to Booker T a threw a dropkick that missed Booker. Booker backdropped Eddie over the top rope, but Eddie fell to the apron and held out, squirming back into the ring. He whipped Booker into the corner, and just as he was looking to try and throw Booker out, Chris Jericho came over and Pearl Harbored Eddie, who fell over the top and to the outside! Eddie Guerrero was the eighth man eliminated. On the outside, Eddie fumed at Jericho’s betrayal. The officials didn’t give him long to react, though, as he was escorted to the back. Jericho had turned his focus sharply to Booker T. Booker hit an impressive leapfrog and tried for a sidekick but was crotched. Jericho wisely tried shoving Booker to the outside, but Booker was sure to throw his weight back into the ring. Jericho charged at Booker with a clothesline, but Booker countered with an exploder spinebuster. Both men were spent by this point. Chris Jericho went up to the top rope. Booker T cut him off at the pass. Jericho realized he was in a precarious position, and was able to lock on a desperate headscissors that ultimately sent Booker T crashing to the outside! Booker T was the final man eliminated. Jericho won the Battle Royal, and the US Heavyweight Title!

As Jericho relished his title victory, he looked around for partner Eddie Guerrero and appeared confused as to why Eddie would possibly want to miss out on the celebration.

WINNER: Chris Jericho at 15:42

- Okerlund was in the back with Ric Flair.

Okerlund: A fierce Battle Royal for the US Heavyweight Championship, and I’m joined now by the President of World Championship Wrestling, Ric Flair.

Flair: That’s right, Mean Gene, and you know, Chris Jericho got what he wanted. He got the US Heavyweight Title. Now perhaps he will leave me the hell alone. And like I’ve said, Mean Gene, I get things done, and I was the one who negotiated Raven’s return to WCW. I want all of the people speculating about the kind of power I may or may not have to recognize that I have the authority to bring people into the fold, and to get them out of it, as well.

Okerlund: Speaking of removing people from the fold, you have a vested interested in seeing “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash drop the coveted World Heavyweight Title tonight, even if it is to one of two men you despise: “The Macho Man” Randy Savage, and big Sid Vicious.

Flair: There is no doubt about it: Kevin Nash has a problem on his hands, and it’s going to take a miracle for him to solve it. And I couldn’t be happier about it.

Okerlund: And what about the issue of Goldberg?

Flair: What about it?

Okerlund: Monday night live on Nitro, he made an eventful return, and we’re told he’s here in Fort Lauderdale tonight.

Flair: Well, there’s only one thing that needs to be said about Goldberg, Mean Gene. There is pecking order in this company -- my company-- and it would behoove everyone in the locker room -- up to and including Goldberg -- to recognize that. Now, the Nature Boy has a couple of coeds waiting for him in the skybox, and if I’m not mistaken, it’s time for the Hot Rod to cut Buff Bagwell down to size. Life is good, Mean Gene. Wooo!

5- Buff Bagwell vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper

Referee: Scott Dickinson

The match was put over as the biggest, most important of Buff’s career. In the opening minutes, Piper used an eyepoke to secure the advantage, and he employed basic kicks and knee drops to work over Bagwell. Piper was trying to perform some kind of submission with Bagwell’s leg, but Bagwell was able to catch Piper in a small package for the near-fall. Bagwell sent Piper into the ropes and hit a back elbow. He further weakened Piper with a belly to back suplex and a snapmare and fist drop. Back on their feet, Buff blocked several Piper punches. Piper bounced off the ropes but was sent down with a shoulderblock. Piper countered a charge in the corner with a boot. He went up top to try an ax handle blow, but Bagwell grabbed him and tossed him to the mat with a sloppy Flairesque overhead slam. Bagwell worked the crowd but Piper then tripped Bagwell. He used several closed-fist punches on Bagwell. He sent Bagwell into the ropes and caught him in his trademark sleeper! It did not look good for Bagwell. The crowd rallied behind him, and finally Bagwell hulked up and slammed Piper over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes. Bagwell hit the Kobashi DDT and signaled for the signature Blockbuster. Torrie Wilson came down to the ring, however, and stood on the apron to distract Bagwell. Torrie and Bagwell argued with each other while Piper recovered and came at Bagwell from behind. Just in time, however, Bagwell turned back to his opponent, foiled the sneak attack, and dropped the Rowdy one with a reverse neckbreaker. A frustrated Torrie could only look on while Buff ascended to the top turnbuckle and executed a perfect Blockbuster to secure the pinfall!

As Bagwell’s hand was raised in momentous victory, he looked at Torrie and shrugged; her sour expression conveyed that she was annoyed by Bagwell’s victory.

WINNER: Buff Bagwell at 9:03

STAR RATING: *3/4

- Backstage, Chris Jericho, carrying his US Title, was looking for Eddie Guerrero. He entered a closed-door locker room to find Lodi “loosening Lenny’s joints.” Jericho, disturbed, closed the door and continued his search for his partner. After a moment, Eddie appeared.

Jericho: Eddie! Where’ve you been, pal?

Guerrero: I’ve been thinkin’, Gringo. You stabbed me in the back, man.

Jericho: What? You mean in the battle royal? Are you kidding?

Guerrero: Do I look like I’m kidding?

Jericho: Eddie, that was business! I did what I had to do. It was for the cause. You know?

Guerrero: The cause?

Jericho: The US Heavyweight Title is now in my hands -- our hands. JoJo Dillon and WCW would like nothing more than for my victory to divide the two of us. I mean, we’ve been causing the company a lot of headaches. The last thing they want is to see us succeed. Ask any of the Jerichoholics out there, and they'll tell you the same thing.

Guerrero: So I’m supposed to be okay with you throwing me out of the ring earlier tonight?

Jericho: We’ve got to stick together, Eduardo. We’ve got to. Now, are we square, or not?

Guerrero considered his answer and left without saying anything...

- Back in the arena, Goldberg’s music hit! Da Man did us usual, pyro-heavy entrance. Finally, he stood at mid-ring with a mic and waited for the crowd to calm down before speaking.

Goldberg: Monday night, I came back. I came back for good. There are a lot of people who aren’t going to be too happy about it, but I am here to stay, and nothing and nobody is going to run me out of WCW. Monday night, I was asked to make sure that a match between Randy Savage and Sting played out fairly. I was asked to maintain control, and so when I speared Sid Vicious when he hit the ring, I was doing a job I’d been asked to do. Sid didn’t like it when I speared his ass, and Randy Savage didn’t like it when I let him know that he couldn’t cut corners in a match I was officiating. I think it’s safe to say that Savage and Sid don’t like me very much, and you know what? That’s just as well, because I don’t like them either. In this business, I’ve learned that you’ve got to know who your enemies are, and now I know for damn sure that Randy Savage and Sid Vicious--? They’re my enemies. But that makes things simple, because my policy for enemies is pretty basic, and it comes down to two words: No. Mercy. That means one thing, and one thing only. Randy Savage? You’re next!

6- Hardcore Match: “Mojo” Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity)

Referee: Billy Silverman

In the ring after the entrances, Morrus made eyes at Chastity, and received an immediate shot to the head with the kendo stick by Hak in response. Hak brought Morrus back to his feet and tried to send the big man down with a clothesline; Morrus maintained a vertical base and picked up Hak for a sudden slam. Morrus whipped Hak into the ropes and met him with a knee lift. Morrus then threw Hak over the top rope. Morrus grabbed the kendo stick and jumped off the ring steps onto Hak on the outside, clubbing him on the head. He prepared to whip Hak into the steps, but Hak was able to reverse it, and Morrus’s back collided hard with the steps. Hart looked ready to interfere at this point, but a menacing glance from Hak convinced him that restraint would be the wiser choice. Hak grabbed a chair and went after Morrus with it. Morrus avoided the shot, grabbed his manager’s megaphone, and whacked Hak in the back of the head with it. The competitors punched and kicked their way up the ramp; Morrus stopped at one point and executed a hanging vertical suplex, with Hak landing hard on the steel floor. The men reached the entrance, where they employed the beach-themed set's props in their offense; Hak placed a metal sand pail over Morrus’s head and sent him into the scaffolding. He then climbed up a lifeguard tower and dropped an elbow onto Morrus down below. Hak slowly stood up and prepared for a splash, but Morrus was somehow able to block the move by raising his knees. Hak was now incapacitated and Hart urged Morrus to his feet. Hart was getting too involved at this point for Chastity’s liking, and she blasted Jimmy with a stiff slap, knocking his sunglasses off, and then aimed and shot her trusty fire extinguisher at him, pleasing the crowd. Morrus, in the meantime, slowly rose and lifted the limp Hak to his feet. Morrus grabbed a surfboard that was part of the set and brought it with him to the ring along with Hak. Morrus took Hak down with a right hand back in the middle of the ring and then draped the surfboard across Hak’s body. He went up top, clearly setting up for the No Laughing Matter. Hak rolled out of the way with the surfboard at the last minute, and Morrus connected only with canvas after his moonsault. Morrus slowly stood, but was met with a shot to the head by Hak with the surfboard, which broke in two. Out of nowhere, Hak was able to execute his Heinekenrana. As he played to the crowd before attempting a pin, Raven appeared at the entrance! Hak looked confused as Raven headed to the ring. Raven entered the ring. Hak questioned him about his presence, and Raven kicked Hak and knocked him out with the Evenflo atop half of the broken surfboard. Raven rolled Morrus atop Hak, and Morrus scored the pin!

Morrus limped up the ramp to tend to his fallen manager. Back in the ring, Hak was out cold, and a furious Chastity ranted and raved at her returning “brother” Raven in response to his unexplained actions.

WINNER: Mojo Morrus at 10:47

STAR RATING: **3/4

- Gene Okerlund was with the ladies of Team Madness in the back. Mona and Gorgeous George looked on while Madusa fielded questions.

Okerlund: A violent hardcore match here live on pay-per-view, ladies and gentleman, and I’m joined at this time by representatives of Randy Savage’s Team Madness. Madusa, your thoughts on tonight main event tag team match in which, I might add, the Heavyweight Championship of the World, will be at stake.

Madusa: Isn’t it obvious, Gene? Randy Savage and Sid Vicious trust each other implicitly. Meanwhile, Kevin Nash and Sting have stabbed each other in the back so many times that they’ve lost count. United Team Madness will conquer; divided Sting and Nash will fall.

Okerlund: Are you predicting a World Title change here tonight, then?

Madusa: Team Madness is walking out with the gold. Watch and see.

7- Psicosis vs. Chavo Guerrero

Referee: Mickey Jay

What was to some the “popcorn match” of the evening was a solid, albeit short, cruiserweight showcase. Chavo, the top contender to Rey Mysterio’s Cruiserweight Title, put on a strong showing in the opening minutes, going after Psicosis with a headscissors, a cross-body block, and a bulldog. Psicosis turned the tables when he dropped Chavo out of the ring and then ran the ropes and executed a suicide dive between the middle and top ropes onto Chavo outside. Both competitors slowly got up outside, and Chavo threw a standing dropkick that sent Psicosis into the steel guardrail hard. Chavo sent Psicosis back into the ring. Chavo went up to the top rope. Psicosis intercepted him. Chavo attempted his Tornado DDT, but Psicosis held onto the rope and was able to plant Chavo face first on the canvas. Psicosis dropped Chavo on the back of his neck with a Tiger Suplex. Psicosis then signaled that he would be taking to the air. He went up top and flew across the ring with his Guillotine Legdrop, but nobody was home when he landed. Having moved, Chavo took advantage of Psicosis’s dazed state and put him away with a Mahistral Cradle.

After the match, Rey Mysterio came to the ring to congratulate Chavo on his hard-fought victory. As they shook hands, Schiavone announced that it would be Rey vs. Chavo for the title on August 15th at the Clash of the Champions in Denver.

WINNER: Chavo Guerrero at 9:11

STAR RATING: ***3/4

- An advertisement for the Clash of the Champions aired.

8- World Heavyweight Title Match: “Macho Man” Randy Savage & Sid Vicious (w/Gorgeous George, Madusa, & Mona) vs. “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash © and Sting

Referee: Nick Patrick

Michael Buffer handled ring introductions and managed not to botch anyone’s name this month.

When partners Sting and Nash came face to face in the ring before the opening bell, they appeared civil. The announcers speculated that, realizing what was at stake, the two men had gotten together and resolved their recent differences.

The match began with Savage and Sting. Sting rejected an attempted shoulderblock by Savage, flexed his muscles, and knocked Savage down. A fuming Savage then received comfort from Sid and the girls in the corner. Savage faked a test-of-strength setup and went to Sting’s eyes. He then took Sting off his feet with a clothesline, and stomped away at him in the corner. Savage began choking Sting and received a stern warning from Patrick. Savage kept Sting in the corner; Sid held Sting back while Savage punched him. Schiavone noted that Savage was showing absolutely no mercy in his quest to become World Heavyweight Champion. Savage tagged in Sid. Sid sent Sting into the turnbuckle hard, and then picked him up and tossed him over the top rope. Madusa, George, and Mona were on Sting like a pack of hyenas, kicking him on the cement. Nash tried getting Nick Patrick to do something, but Nash’s discourse with Patrick caused the senior official to be oblivious to the beating taking place outside. Finally, Nash hopped off the apron and provided Sting relief. Patrick ordered Nash back to his corner. Sting slid into the ring and immediately received boots from Sid. Sid picked up Sting and carried him across the ring. Just as he prepared to slam Sting, Sting slipped out of Sid’s grasp and drove Sid’s head into the turnbuckle ten times with the crowd chanting along. Sting followed up with a dropkick that sent Sid slumping into the corner. Savage came in to try and cut off Sting’s comeback, but Sting clotheslined Savage to the outside. Sting headed over to Nash to make the tag. Sid grabbed Sting’s boot to prevent the switch, but Sting was able to slip into the corner and make the hot tag, nonetheless! Nash rocked Sid against the ropes with a couple of right hands. Savage hopped back on the apron but was sent outside yet again by a big boot. Nash raised his fist with the Wolfpac symbol, earning himself a pop for cleaning house. Sid pulled himself to his feet, and the two big men exchanged horrible punches. Sid kicked Nash in the midsection and then clotheslined him from behind, sending him to the canvas. Sid telegraphed a pathetic legdrop which Nash was able to avoid. Nash measured Sid as he began to get up. It looked as though Nash was planning on a knee left, but Madusa tried tripping him from outside. While Nash was distracted exchanging words with Madusa and friends, Sid set up for and nailed a big boot of his own and got the two count; Tenay put it over as a serious near-fall. Back on his feet, Nash blocked a Sid punch and tried picking Sid up for the Snake Eyes. Nash’s back gave out, however, and Sid clumsily fell on top of Nash for another two count. Nash reversed an Irish Whip and elbowed Sid against the turnbuckle. Nash made the tag to Sting which was, as Schiavone observed, a good move at this point in the match. Sting ducked a Sid clothesline and chopped him into the corner. He then whipped Sid into the opposite corner, and hit two Stinger Splashes! Sting then headed up to the top rope and tried a flying clothesline at the groggy Sid. Sid caught Sting with a weak chokeslam, though, incapacitating him. The girls, in the meantime, were back to exchanging insults with Nash. Sid got a two count on Sting. Savage threatened David Penzer outside and grabbed Nash’s World Title belt. Sid tagged in Savage. Savage charged at Sting with the title belt, but Nash came in, took the title away from Savage, and took Savage down with a right hand. Tenay drove home that if Savage had been able to score the pin on Sting, he would have won Nash’s title. Patrick angrily sent Nash back to his corner and returned the belt to Penzer. Schiavone noted that the stakes in the match were too high for Patrick to justify throwing it out at this stage. Sting whipped Savage into the ropes and back body dropped him. Riling up the crowd, Sting then hit a high elevation elbow drop, and tagged Nash back in. Nash picked up Savage and gave him Snake Eyes in the corner. He got a two count. The frustration began to show on Nash’s face. Nash picked up Savage and executed his Sidewalk Slam. Another two count. Nash, losing his patience, took a moment to cool out. In the meantime, Savage rolled to the outside. Nash left the ring to chase Savage. Nash winked at Mona, who reacted awkwardly. When Nash came face-to-face with Savage, Savage pulled Gorgeous George in front of him to dodge a Nash attack. Nash moved George out of the way, but Savage cheapshotted him. Savage sent Nash headfirst into the ringpost. Nash tried to collect himself, leaning on the guardrail. Savage, meanwhile, climbed all the way up to the top turnbuckle. Heenan put over the fact that the man was insane and had no regard for his body and certainly not for his opponents’. Savage flew off the top turnbuckle with a double ax handle blow onto the champion down below. Sid was amused by this while Sting stood by, helpless. Savage sent Nash back into the ring. With Nash down on the mat, Savage pulled his legs apart and kicked Nash in the groin. Savage signaled for the world title and pointed to the turnbuckle once more. En route, he nailed Sting with a right hand. Patrick prevented Sting from retaliating. Up top, Savage prepped for the Elbowsmash, and Schiavone reminded viewers that the move had been reinstated on Nitro after having been banned for causing several collapsed lungs. Heenan predicted that if Savage connected with the move, he would become the new World Heavyweight Champion. Savage hit the Elbowsmash! 1---2--- and Sting came in and broke up the pin at the last minute! Tenay said Sting had just prevented Kevin Nash’s title reign from coming to an end; Heenan countered that rather than protecting Nash, Sting was simply ensuring that his own chances of becoming champion were not ruined. Savage was incensed by Sting’s interference, and yelled at Nick Patrick. Nash proceeded to roll Savage up for a 2.9. Savage was lethargic, so Nash was able to tag in Sting. Sting sent Savage into the corner and hit a Stinger Splash. Sid came in, and Sting provided a moment for the highlight reel by powerslamming the big man! He howled for the crowd. Sid had rolled to the outside, and so the path was clear for Sting to finish Savage off. Sting grabbed Savage by the legs and successfully locked on the Scorpion Death Lock! The crowd and announcers went wild -- Savage was in the center of the ring with no escape and Sting had the move locked on perfectly! As we all awaited the tapout, Nash entered the ring unexplained and delivered a vicious boot to Sting’s face as he kept Savage in the submission move! Sting fell over, unconscious, breaking the hold. The announcers couldn’t believe what they’d just seen, and trash from the fans began to litter the ring. Nash dragged Sting over to the corner. Nash stepped back outside the ring and officially tagged himself in by slapping Sting’s back. Patrick, never having encountered such a scenario, counted the tag as perfectly legal. George, Madusa, and Mona could do nothing but look on as Nash picked up Savage and Jacknifed him. A disgusted Schiavone counted along with Patrick for the pin. 1, 2, 3, and Kevin Nash retained the World Heavyweight Title.

Nash caught his breath as Patrick raised his arm and returned to him the World Title belt. Schiavone declared that Nash had screwed Sting out of the World Title. Sid and the female members of Team Madness tended to Savage on the outside. Sting, meanwhile, shook off his disorientation and stepped into the ring, much of his facepaint having rubbed off during the match. Nash stood in the middle of the ring with his title belt. Sting grabbed Nash by the arm and turned him around so they were face-to-face. Sting awaited answers while Nash looked on in silence. What on earth would happen tomorrow, live on Nitro?

WINNER: Kevin Nash at 17:21

Edited by tqwcw

This is really a superb piece of work, and there's one thing that sets it apart from every other diary I've ever read. It's not the off-screen stuff, which is really terrific, extensive, and a joy to read. It's not the writing, which is as sound as any I've seen and makes the shows work wonderfully. The real jewel in this great diary is the way in which you book the characters. They don't act one-dimensionally like wrestling characters do so often in real life... your wrestlers show different sides to their personalities and demonstrate a variety of emotions. The Sting-Nash stuff is particularly strong in this regard. Their mutual distrust leading up to the PPV was really well written, as neither man came off looking like a heel. Nash's attack on Sting at the Bash at the Beach was done wonderfully. If you made Nash beat Sting down after the match and become a full-fledged heel, it would have been infinitely less interesting.

I love what you've done with Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho. Just one piece of advice- as much as "Lionheart" is one of the top heels of all time (I frequently think of him as the Gorgeous George of the 90s in terms of his innovation), Eddie Guerrero is right up there with him. You're perfect with Jericho's promos, and damn good with Eddie's, so don't let Eddie play a second banana. Keep the partnership equal- you could even have Eddie know that Jericho is using him, and continue to have him play along. That way, he can turn face and feud with Chris Jericho, now or later.

I'm not crazy about the way you write for Flair or Piper. Both are hit and miss- neither seem erratic enough most of the time. Flair comes off as a bit too comfortable with his authority- he seems more like a Vince McMahon than a power-crazed Nature Boy. Piper's just not nuts enough. Having said that, you do some really wonderful subtle things with some guys. Bagwell's skirt/age cracks at Piper were entirely lame and facile, which is exactly how Bagwell would cut a promo. Savage's promos are good, by and large, but the one after the Sid/Kaos match was EXCELLENT. It was both rambling and intimidating, just captured everything about 1999's Macho Man.

The stuff here is great on all levels. It's really innovative, and I can just tell it'll get even better. This should have a huge readership. I don't know if it does, but it's got me.

• 1 month later...

Monday, July 13th, 1999

9:29am

Dottie's Diner

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Kevin Nash was right where I thought he'd be: sitting at the counter next to the Disco Inferno. I had learned quickly that Nash had a great appreciation for Disco's willingness to laugh at his (Kevin's) jokes, no matter how puerile. Nash was shoveling a fork-full of hashbrowns dripping with tabasco sauce into his mouth as I took a seat on the stool to his left. Nash spoke while chewing. "Yo," he said.

"Tell me about the wink," I said.

"The what?" Kevin asked.

"The spot you did with Mona last night," I replied.

"Oh. That. Just a little somethin' somethin' I came up with. I do that, you know. I come up with a lot of my own shit." Nash stabbed a sausage patty with his fork and prepared to devour it whole.

"Not anymore, you don't," I smiled.

Nash brought the fork to a halt before it reached his mouth. He looked at me, then over at Disco. They both laughed.

"Chill, bra," he said. "You don't have to mark your territory."

"It's not your job to be creative," I said while a surly waitress poured me a cup of coffee. "All you have to do is what the script tells you to. It's better that way."

"I winked at the chick who wears the evening gown," Nash recounted. "What's the big fuckin' deal?"

"You're not the booker anymore," I said. "Just keep it in mind."

Monday, July 13th, 1999

3:02pm

Miami Arena

Miami, FL

The early afternoon had been filled with meetings. Mike Tenay, the first recruit to my booking team, had a lot to say about the Cruiserweight division, and I tried to take in all of his thoughts. I then sat down with a dozen or so undercarders to inform them that I would be sending them back to the minor leagues. And Arn Anderson brought me up to speed on the WWF's developmental exodus, naming a few key players who might be worth a look. Once all of that had been taken care of, I was able to take a quick break. Nitro was rapidly drawing near, but I felt relatively good about it. I had my general direction for the Clash of the Champions mapped out, and that simplified the writing of TVs.

You might imagine my disappointment, then, when Amanda Cutler stopped me in the hall with her hands on her hips. I had given her my first draft of the evening's show half an hour earlier. She had rapidly grown extremely comfortable in her new role. "You went over-budget with your time. Way over-budget," she said.

"How bad?" I asked.

"You need to cut three segments."

"Three?" I asked. "I thought it was a tight show."

"You thought wrong," she said. Arguing would get me nowhere; I had to start trimming.

It took another thirty minutes, but I was able to file things down; my revision met with my executive producer's approval. "Sorry," she said, not completely sincerely.

"I'm okay with cutting the Jericho/Guerrero and Triad promos," I said. "They're going to be visible elsewhere on the show. Nixing the Kidman bit, I'm not happy about. Any rub he got from going over Hennig? Gone."

"You can follow up on Thunder," she shrugged.

"Not the same thing," I responded.

"Not to change the subject, but what about the Flair situation? Have you taken care of that? Are you going to meet with him?"

"No," I said.

"I thought you said you were going to deal with it," Amanda said.

"I am. I've booked myself on tomorrow night's WCW Live," I explained. "It's the internet radio show. On the website."

Amanda raised an eyebrow. She knew I was playing politics. Playing dirty, at that.

Sneak Peek: WCW Monday Nitro

World Champion Kevin Nash vs. Diamond Dallas Page - Non-Title Match. Both men are coming off big wins at the Bash at the Beach. Nash will be looking to cement his position here as the dominant force in the promotion, while Page has a chance to make a case for himself as top contender to the championship.

Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Kanyon & Bam Bam Bigelow. The war between the silent, violent warriors and The Triad will continue in what promises to be a physical encounter.

Also scheduled: Goldberg, Ric Flair, Team Madness, new US Champion Chris Jericho, and new Television Champion Disco Inferno.

Edited by tqwcw

I didn't check out the BATB when it was posted, But I got to check it out now, And it was a solid show. Glad to see Raven return, But I'm even happier to see Jericho walk away with the US title. I liked Nash screwing over Sting, As in the sense, The fans can't really be mad at Nash, Since he had to do what he had to do to walk away with his title. Goldberg/Savage could be good, As the build up thus far, Has been done well. I'm hoping Chavo turns after his title win, I just don't dig a face Chavo. Sucks to see Alex Wright get sent to the development league, But that'll give him time to brush up on his skills, And when he returns, You can push him to the top. :D Super glad to see Disco win the TV title, But I hope he finishes things up with Steiner quickly and moves on to a better challenger. With the way you're building things up, I hope to see a Malenko/Flair match take place at the next PPV instead of Bagwell/Flair. But that's just my two cents. Keep up the great work (Y)

BTW, I dig the new format (Y)

Edited by Baby Hewey

Finally managed to catch up on this one. I had noticed that it was awhile between updates, which in turn had me forgetting about this diary, but damn, this has been a very good read. Your portrayals are excellent, as is the backstage stuff as well. Not sure I like the new format as you seemed to have your characters down interview wise and this kind of takes that away, but if it promotes more updates, then I'm all for it.

Not sure I like the new format as you seemed to have your characters down interview wise and this kind of takes that away, but if it promotes more updates, then I'm all for it.

Agreed. At the end of the day, anything that you prefer is the best choice, and I'll be reading regardless. However, your interviews are so good that I'd love to see at least the more important ones written out word for word. Good storyline development on this show, with the DDP-Benoit feud reaching a real boiling point and Sting-Nash getting even more interesting (I was expecting a cheap staredown ending, but of course, you delivered something better). Can't wait to see how you handle WCW Live.

• 11 months later...