Power Struggle: WCW 1999

tqwcw

Thursday, June 24th, 1999

9:19am

Office of Brad Siegel, President of Turner Entertainment Networks

Atlanta, Georgia

Sam knew her boss well. Very well. “You’re gonna need this,” she told Mr. Siegel as he arrived, handing him a steaming cup of coffee -- no cream, no sugar.

“I take it the news isn’t good,” Siegel said. He was hoping for a better start to the day.

Sam handed Mr. Siegel the report from marketing. “A 3.1 composite,” Siegel read aloud, shaking his head. “And how did RAW do?”

“6.0,” Sam said. “The Corporate Ministry; Sexual Chocolate; Brisco & Patterson. People are eating it up.”

“And yet Bischoff had assured me that the No Limit Soldiers, Sid Vicious, and Ernest “The Cat” MIller could turn things around,” cracked Siegel.

“You gonna give ‘im another talking to?” Sam asked.

“Why bother? I’ve tried that -- more times than I care to recall.”

“Well, you know, neither of us knows much about this ‘wrestling’ thing. Who’s to say that this industry is big enough to house two successful promotions?”

“Are you kidding?” Siegel asked. “The viewership’s out there. The money’s out there. It’s just a matter of building up a sustained, loyal viewership.”

“But do you really think Bischoff is going to be able to accomplish that? We’ve both been watching the product for months. They’re always promising marquee match-ups and dropping the ball. There’s no internal logic involved. It’s a disaster. And what’s with that Brian Knobs guy, anyway?”

“We need a new approach, don’t we?” Siegel said, coming to the reaSamation.

“You’ve seen those financial breakdowns. Bischoff has been throwing good money after bad for months,” observed Sam.

“You know how much I hate firing people,” Siegel whined.

“Suck it up. It’s either him or you; if you don’t find a way to turn WCW around, the brass is going to find someone who will,” offered Sam.

“But you said it best: we don’t know a damn thing about this business. Not many people do. Where, exactly, am I supposed to find a suitable replacement for Easy E?”

“How did Bischoff, himself, turn the company around in ‘96?”

“He spent a small fortune buying up Vince McMahon’s talent,” Siegel said.

“Exactly. For the right price, I’m sure you could snap up McMahon’s creative director,” suggested Sam.

“Ah, yes. Mr. Russo,” Siegel responded. “That’s always an option.”

“Of course, if you bring Russo in, you make the decision to present WCW as nothing more than a cheap imitation of Titan.”

“Well, when you put it that way -- one Big Bossman is more than enough.”

“Exactly. You’ve got to find some new blood. Remember those focus groups we ran? People are drawn to the Chris Benoits, the Booker Ts, the Chris Jerichos.”

Siegel nodded. “The new blood. So I bring in an unproven commodity to turn a multimillion-dollar company around?

“From what I gather, Russo himself was an unproven commodity -- a magazine editor -- when McMahon brought him into his inner circle. You’ve gotta think outside the box, Mr. Siegel.”

1:49pm

Cajun Dome

Lafayette, LA

Chris Benoit angrily tossed his gym bag across the dressing room. Another Thunder booking sheet, another disappointment. Dean Malenko entered as Benoit took a sip of water.

“How’s it goin’, Chris?”

“Well, let’s just say I’m wishing I was Jericho right about now,” Benoit said.

“No kidding. One more week, and he’s free,” Malenko noted.

“So, Saturn and I are booked to go over Finlay and Taylor,” revealed Benoit.

Malenko nodded. “Well, at least you guys’ll be able to get some things done in the ring. I’ll be too busy putting my very life on the line for the sake of this show.”

“Oh, yeah?” Benoit asked.

“They want me to take a powerbomb from Sid,” Malenko explained.

“Nice,” remarked Benoit, sarcastically.

“Hey,” Malenko said. “It could be worse. They’re putting you and Perry against Page and Bigelow at the pay-per-view, right?”

“Yeah,” Benoit conceded. “But with Sullivan and Nash booking this shit, I have a pretty idea of where this is going to end up.”

Benoit left the room to call his wife, Nancy. It was getting harder and harder to justify his extended absences to her.

3:09pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Siegel shook the hand of the Eugene Levy lookalike who entered his office. “Thanks for coming over, Leon.”

Leon Shapiro, President of Turner Original Programming, replied. “No problem. I assume you wanted to discuss that proposal I had for the Fall lineup.”

“Not exactly,” Siegel said, “although having nubile college coeds compete for a modelling contract is an appealing concept.”

“Reality programming,” Leon said. “It’s the future.”

“That may very well be,” Siegel said, “but at the moment, I’ve got some more pressing business to take care of. I’m reshuffling the deck at WCW.”

“That’s why you called me over here? This is about ‘wrasslin’?”

“Yes,” Siegel said. “I need a writer. Well, I need more than a writer; I need someone who’s young and creative, but focused and organized. A natural leader. Someone who won’t give me a lot of headaches, either.”

“You’re asking me to give up one of my best people for the sake of ‘Dubya See Dubya’?”

“Exactly,” Siegel confirmed. “Does anyone jump to mind?”

“You’ve sprung this on me out of nowhere. Give me a minute or two to think,” Leon demanded.

“I don’t have a minute or two. I need to make this happen today.”

“All right,” Leon said. “All right. I’ve got a guy in script development -- he’s good. And he jumped at the opportunity to take advantage of the skybox last time you guys did RAW at the Georgia Dome.”

“Nitro,” Siegel said. “We’re Nitro, not RAW.”

“Mea culpa,” Leon said. He didn’t sound sincere. “Do you want me to send this guy over, or what?”

“Yeah,” Siegel said. “I do.”

5:20pm

Cajun Dome

Lafayette, LA

In catering, Dusty Rhodes had felt compelled to regail fellow road agent Arn Anderson with Outlaws stories -- again.

“It was 1970 -- September 17th -- when we beat Lothario and Apollo for the NWA Florida Tag Team Titles.”

“Right,” Arn said. “You’ve mentioned that once or twice before.”

The arrival of “Pistol” Pez Whatley cut Dusty off before he could continue.

“Sorry to interrupt, guys,” Whatley said.

“No,” said Double A. “Don’t worry about it, Pez.” He was clearly grateful for the intrustion. “What’s up?”

“Sid and Savage -- they ain’t too happy with the match breakdown with Bagwell and Malenko for tonight. They say ya’ll’re askin’ them to sell too much for the young guys.”

Anderson was not happy. “Well, you just tell Sid and Savage that they--”

Dusty interrupted. “You tell Sid and Savage that we’ll work somethin’ out,” Dusty said. Pez looked at Anderson, who now appeared angry. Pez left.

“Damnit, Dusty,” said Arn. He seemed to think that catering to the Sids and Savages of the promotion was counterproductive.

“And I thought all this time that you didn’t hold a grudge against Sid,” Dusty remarked.

“This isn’t about the damn scissors, Dusty. It’s about getting these kids some heat.”

“Dean Malenko and Marcus Bagwell don’t put butts in the seats,” retorted Dusty. “That’s the bottom line.”

Anderson was not satisfied.

6:35pm

Atlanta, Georgia

Eric Bischoff saw this as the perfect opportunity. He wasn’t sure why Siegel had called him to his office -- perhaps Siegel wanted to schedule that golf game they’d been discussing for months. Regardless, Bischoff felt this would be the perfect time to make his pitch. Siegel’s assistant, Sam, showed Bischoff into Siegel’s office. Siegel and Bischoff shook hands.

“Thanks for coming in, Eric. I know it’s late.”

“Nonsense,” Bischoff shrugged. He was in good spirits.

“I was surprised when your secretary told me you were in town tonight. I thought you’d be at Thunder, wherever that’s running tonight...”

“Lafayette. No, I wanted to be there, but I had some paperwork to get done at the office,” Bischoff explained

“Never a shortage of that, is there?” Siegel remarked.

“No, sir,” Bischoff said. “You know, I’ve been wanting to meet with you -- there’s something I’d like to run by you.”

“What’s that, Eric?” Siegel asked.

“I’ve had some promising and exciting talks that could lead to something big. Really big.”

“Talks with whom?”

“With KISS,” Eric answered, pleased with himself.

“KISS, as in Gene Simmons?” an incredulous Siegel asked.

“Yeah,” said Bischoff. “See, what I’d like to do is have KISS perform, live on Nitro, and in conjunction with that, bring in some wrestlers -- a whole bunch of KISS-themed wrestlers. I’m talking about doing some cutting-edge special effects, some concerts, a lot of press. The synergistic possibilities are endless.”

Siegel could hardly believe it.

“What do you think?” Bischoff asked eagerly.

“I think we should take a step back,” Siegel said. “Have you seen this week’s ratings report?”

Bischoff’s smile slowly faded. “Yes,” said Bischoff. “Yes, I have. And as I’ve said before, we’re in a rebuilding phase at the moment. The numbers aren’t going to jump overnight.”

“RAW had twice as many viewers as we did, Eric. Something’s rotten in Denmark, or in Atlanta, as it were.”

“What are you saying?” Bischoff asked, on edge.

“I’m saying that I don’t dispute that WCW is in need of rebuilding. As a matter of fact, what I think WCW really needs is a whole new architect.”

“Architect? I don’t like the sound of that, sir.”

“I’m sure you don’t,” Siegel said. “Look, Eric, this isn’t easy for me.”

“It would be a mistake for you to jump to any hasty decisions, Mr. Siegel. There are some big names I’ve been looking at that could really help turn things around -- Jake Roberts, Jimmy Snuka, King Kong Bundy...”

“No!” Siegel interjected. “No King Kong Bundy. Eric, I believe that you still have the capacity to contribute to the WCW product -- on-screen. But in terms of the day-to-day management and creative direction of the company, I’ve decided to institute some changes, effective immediately.”

“But, Brad...” Bischoff started.

“I’d appreciate it if you removed your personal effects from WCW headquarters in the morning. I’m sure that, if you elect to remain with the company in an on-air capacity, our new creative director will contact you when and if he or she sees fit to write you into a storyline. Thank you for all of your contributions, Eric.”

Bischoff was speechless. Almost. “Who’s replacing me?” Bischoff asked. “Don’t tell me it’s Paul Heyman.”

“It’s not Paul Heyman,” Siegel said.

The door to Siegel’s office opened, and Sam stood outside with a young guy of about 22. Bischoff thought nothing of the interruption at first, but it eventually started to percolate; he was being ousted for a kid half his age. Bischoff turned back to Siegel before exiting. “Oh, good luck, Siegel. Good luck with this. You'll need it.”

6:32pm

Atlanta, Georgia

When Shapiro told me that Siegel wanted to meet with me, I laughed. Shapiro’s expression, however, remained completely serious, and after a moment, I realized that Shapiro had been earnest: the president of Turner Entertainment Networks wanted to meet with me. I’d been out of college for six months. I got my degree in Dramatic Writing from New York University, and although I’d always imagined that I would create and produce a critically-acclaimed, ratings-record-shattering television powerhouse minutes after graduating, what I actually ended up doing was posting my resume online and being hired to churn out uninspired dreck for Time-Warner. But I couldn’t complain too much; I had managed to maintain a long-distance relationship with my college girlfriend, I was making enough money to live on, and Atlanta wasn’t a horrible place to live. The status quo was fine with me. Naturally, when I realized that Siegel really and truly wanted to see me, I feared the worst.

When I reached the penultimate floor of CNN Center, Siegel’s assistant instructed me to wait in the lobby which, it should be noted, was itself larger than my entire apartment. I waited impatiently, tapping my foot as I examined a picture of Siegel with Ted Turner on the wall. I looked over at the assistant, who was checking her watch impatiently. It was late; I needed to get home and feed the dog. Finally, the spunky assistant stood and ushered me over; she then burst into Siegel’s office as I trailed close behind. I couldn’t believe my eyes: Siegel was wrapping up what appeared to be a heated meeting with Eric Bischoff. The simple WCW fan in me was tempted to start a “Bischoff sux” chant then and there, but I remembered myself just in time. Bischoff addressed Siegel.

“Oh, good luck, Siegel,” he said. “Good luck with this. You'll need it.”

I hadn’t a clue what this meant, and I figured it was none of my business, although I couldn’t help but be curious. I’d read about Bischoff being on thin ice with management on more than one of the online dirt sheets. Bischoff brushed past me and hurried out of the office. I concluded then that it wasn’t just a gimmick; Eric really was an asshole. All of this was very interesting, but I was anxious to learn just what business Siegel had with me.

With Bischoff gone, Siegel addressed his assistant. “Thanks, Sam,” he said. He then turned to me. He wasn’t as imposing a presence as I’d imagined he would be. He extended his hand. “How do you do?” he asked.

“I’m very well, thanks,” I said, trying -- and probably failing -- not to appear jittery. “It’s nice to meet you, Mr. Siegel.”

“I didn’t catch your name,” he said.

“Oh,” I said. “Tom. Tom Quinn. I thought you knew. I mean, seeing as how you called me here, and...”

Siegel sat, and appeared amused. I began speaking again. “Mr. Siegel, if this is about my liberal use of the script development division’s broadband internet connection, I--”

“It’s not about the internet,” Siegel assured me. Now I felt like a real idiot. “You were referred to me by Leon Shapiro.”

“Referred for what? If you don’t mind my asking,” I said.

“I understand you’re a talented writer,” he continued.

“I don’t know about ‘talented,’” I replied, finding myself terribly humble. “But I would like to think I’m capable, at the very least.”

“That’s great,” Siegel said. “I also gather that you’re a well-informed follower of World Championship Wrestling.”

I was embarrassed. Despite the fact that I jumped at the opportunity presented by the company to attend Nitro at the Georgia Dome with skybox seats, my wrestling fandom was not something I liked to publicize. My girlfriend wasn’t crazy about my hobby, either.

“I, uh, watch Nitro and Thunder when I can,” I nodded. “And Saturday Night. And I keep up with RAW. I-- Mr. Siegel, why do you ask?”

“From what I’ve been able to learn about the wrestling business,” Siegel explained, “there are two types of fans: casual fans -- marks -- and then smart fans: fans who know all the tricks, understand the smoke and mirrors, follow the backstage drama. You belong to that group, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” I said. “I guess I do.”

“Then you’ll probably discover online tonight that Nitro did a 3.1 rating on Monday,” revealed Siegel.

“Yikes,” I responded. “That’s not good. No offense.”

“None taken. We’re in trouble,” Siegel conceded.

“If you’re asking for my opinion, then I’d have to say that I agree with you. The whole Mr. P thing? That’s -- that’s a disaster. The young guys are constantly being squashed. It’s just not compelling television.”

Siegel was silent.

“Should I have kept my mouth shut?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “I’m very interested in what you have to say.”

“The WWF may push the envelope,” I said, “but they know how to hook you, and how to keep you watching. No one at WCW seems to even understand that accomplishing those two things are necessary to being successful. But what do I know?”

“What if I told you that I’m actually quite interested in what you might know and what you might not know? What if I told you that I really wanted to shake things up and turn WCW around?” Siegel asked.

“How do those things go together? Your wanting to turn WCW around and your being interested in my perspective? Are you just looking for feedback, here?” I asked.

“Not exactly,” Siegel said. “The reason Eric Bischoff was so upset when he left a few minutes ago is that I fired him.”

“You fired him?” I asked.

“I’m sure it’ll be online by the time you get home,” Siegel noted.

“Yeah,” I said. “News travels fast.”

“Listen,” Siegel said. “WCW is a massive organization We have over 100 talents under contract. We have a massive payroll of production people and support staff. We’re on the road 300 days of the year. We air at least eight hours of original programming each and every week. The amount of work that is involved in running this company is unfathomable.”

“I agree,” I said, not know what else to say. “Finding a replacement for Bischoff is going to be a challenge, I’m sure.”

“I want you to do it,” Siegel said.

“Do what?” I answered. “Find his replacement? I wouldn’t know where to start. It’s very flattering, Mr. Siegel, but I...”

“I don’t want you to find his replacement,” Siegel assured me.

“You had me going there for a second,” I laughed. “That was good.”

Siegel continued. “I want you to be his replacement.”

It was at that point that I seriously considered pinching myself in an effort to wake myself from what I was sure had to be a dream. “Is this a practical joke?” I asked. “Did Mr. Shapiro put you up to this?”

“Shapiro didn’t put me up to anything. I realize that it must sound insane to you, and it’s quite possible that I will regret this -- badly. But a wise sage has convinced me that I need to take a risk on this. I need to go out on a limb. You’ll have help. There are a lot of amazing people in the back who would be of great assistance to you. You’ll have creative consultants and agents and financial advisors and plenty of feedback.”

I forced myself to speak up. “Why?” I asked. “Why me? Why not do what’s always done in wrestling and bring back a washed up hack like Bill Watts or Jerry Jarrett?”

“WCW doesn’t need one of those washed up hacks, and I think you’d agree. We need a fresh perspective. Yours is as fresh as any.”

“So, the short answer for why you’re offerring me this job is that I’m here,” I said.

“You’re here,” Siegel said. “And I think this could work.”

Edited by tqwcw

Friday, June 25th, 1999

6:59am

Apartment of Tom Quinn, WCW Creative Director and General Manager

Atlanta, Georgia

WCW Creative Director and General Manager. This wasn’t going to end well, but I was rolling with it. After I told Mr. Siegel that I’d do it, he said that his assistant Sam would fax over a new contract and what he described as a “talent breakdown” in the morning. Sam had prepared a summary of my responsibilities at WCW:

Talent Relations: I’d been given the power to hire and fire workers, and to renegotiate expiring contracts. Of course, I didn’t [yet] have the authority to rid the company of Hulk Hogan and other similar malignant growths, but the autonomy I was handed was overwhelming enough as it was. I knew full well that I was simply a guinea pig; Siegel just wanted to know if this radical idea of his could actually work. For what it was worth, I planned on proving to him that it could. Not that I wasn’t intimidated by the prospect of laying the verbal smackdown on the likes of Sid Eudy and Big Poppa Pump.

Booking: I’d gone from penning tripe at Turner script development to head writing World Championship Wrestling’s television and pay-per-view broadcasts. Some would argue that I was better off before, but I was excited by the prospect. I’d done my fair share of fantasy booking over the years. It wasn’t long before I learned that this was no fantasy -- it was real, and it was hard as hell, too.

Operations: I had a considerable say in the way the company was to operate. Siegel suggested I take a trip to the Powerplant, familiarize myself with the house show process, and review the talents’ contracts. I had no idea where to begin.

Sam’s “talent breakdown” provided a bit of a kickstart. The fax came in just as I poured my bowl of Cheerios. I suddenly realized that, given my new salary, I’d never have to resort to consuming curdled milk ever again. I pushed the morning’s Journal-Constitution aside and perused the overwhelming talent breakdown.

Active Roster

Denotes Face

Denotes Heel

Denotes Disposition Not-Applicable

* = Contract Expiry Imminent

Main Event

Kevin Nash

Randy Savage

Ric Flair

Roddy Piper

Sid

Sting

Uppercard

Bam Bam Bigelow

Booker T

Buff Bagwell

Chris Benoit

Chris Jericho*

Curt Hennig

Diamond Dallas Page

Kanyon

Rick Steiner

Midcard

Billy Kidman

Bobby Duncum, Jr.

Chavo Guerrero, Jr.

Dean Malenko

Disco Inferno

Eddie Guerrero

Hak

Hugh Morrus

Juventud Guerrera

Konnan

Lenny

Lodi

Perry Saturn

Rey Mysterio, Jr.

The Cat

Lowercard

4x4

BA

Barry Darsow

Barry Windham

Blitzkrieg

Bobby Eaton

Brian Adams

Brian Knobs

Chase Tatum

Chris Adams

Ciclope

Damian

Dave Taylor

El Dandy

Erik Watts

Evan Karagias

Fit Finlay

Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Hector Garza

Horace

Jerry Flynn

Johnny Grunge

Johnny Swinger

Kaz Hayashi

Kendall Windham

Kenny Kaos

La Parka

Lash LeRoux

Lizmark, Jr

Meng

Mike Enos

Mikey Whipwreck

Norman Smiley

Prince Iaukea

Psicosis

Rick Fuller

Rocco Rock

Scott Armstrong

Scott Norton

Scott Putski

Scotty Riggs

Silver King

Steve Armstrong

Steven Regal

Stevie Ray

Super Calo

Swoll

The Barbarian

Van Hammer

Villano IV

Villano V

Vincent

Enhancement Talent

Barry Horowitz

Buddy Lee Parker

Disorderly Conduct (Mean Mike & Tough Tom)

Women’s Division

Madusa

Mona

Managers and Valets

Asya [Ric Flair]

Chastity [Hardcore Hak]

Gorgeous George [Randy Savage]

Jimmy Hart [Hugh Morrus, Brian Knobs, Jerry Flynn, & The Barbarian]

Sonny Onoo [The Cat]

Torrie Wilson [David Flair]

Personalities

AC Jazz

Arn Anderson

Chae

David Flair

Eric Bischoff

Fyre

JJ Dillon

Kimberly

Spice

Storm

Tygress

Officials

Billy Silverman

Charles Robinson

Mickey Jay

Nick Patrick

Scott Dickinson

Broadcast Team

Bobby Heenan

Gene Okerlund

Larry Zbyszko

Mike Tenay

Scott Hudson

Tony Schiavone

Inactive Contracted Talent

• Alex Wright: Cleared to wrestle; under creative evaluation.
  • Bret Hart: Taking time off in the wake of the death of his brother, Owen. Is in shape to wrestle, but may be disenchanted with WCW given its bad booking of him since shortly after his Fall 1997 arrival.
  • Goldberg: Rehabbing knee injury. Tentatively cleared for August 1999.
  • Hulk Hogan: Sidelined with knee injury and occupied by outside projects.
  • Lex Luger: Out with bicep injury until October 1999. Luger did make a one-shot appearance on the 6/21 edition of Nitro.
  • Miss Elizabeth: Recovering from breast augmentation surgery; under creative evaluation.
  • Raven: Shoulder injury; may be able to work despite injury.
  • Ray Lloyd: AKA Glacier. On-air angle had Glacier selling his gear to Kaz Hayashi. Lloyd is cleared to wrestle and under creative evaluation.
  • Robbie Rage: Out with shoulder injury indefinitely.
  • Scott Hall: Enrolled in substance abuse treatment program indefinitely.
  • Scott Steiner: Under doctors’ evaluation with back injury; condition said to be serious.
  • Shane Helms: Cleared to wrestle; has not yet appeared on television.
  • Shannon Moore: Cleared to wrestle; has not yet appeared on television.
  • Sick Boy: Cleared to wrestle; under creative evaluation.
  • Vampiro: Cleared to wrestle; under creative evaluation.
  • Wrath: Rehabbing knee injury. Out until at least the first of the new year.
Other Personnel

Danny Young (Medic)

Doug Dellinger (Head of Security)

Dusty Rhodes (Road Agent and Creative Consultant)

Kevin Sullivan (Road Agent and Creative Consultant)

Paul Orndorff (Road Agent and Trainer)

“Pistol” Pez Whatley

Powerplant Attendees

Alan Funk

Chuck Palumbo

Dale Torborg

Devon Storm

Elix Skipper

James Gibson

Jon Hugger

Kid Romeo

Mark Jindrak

Mike Sanders

Rick Cornell

Sean O’Haire

Championship Status

WCW World Heavyweight Champion

Kevin Nash

pinned Diamond Dallas Page at Slamboree on 05/09/99

WCW World Tag Team Champions

Diamond Dallas Page, Kanyon, & Bam Bam Bigelow

Page & Kanyon defeated Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn at the Great American Bash on 6/13/99

WCW World Cruiserweight Champion

Rey Mysterio, Jr.

pinned Psicosis on Nitro on 4/26/99

WCW United States Heavyweight Champion

Scott Steiner

pinned Booker T in tournament finals at Spring Stampede on 4/11/99

WCW World Television Champion

Rick Steiner

pinned Booker T at Slamboree on 5/09/99

Edited by tqwcw

Friday, June 25th, 1999

7:30am

Apartment of Tom Quinn, WCW Creative Director and General Manager

Atlanta, Georgia

After Jamie had ironed and starched a fresh shirt for me, I asked her to schedule a meeting with Chris Jericho and to arrange for the entire active roster to assemble for a meeting before Nitro in Chicago on Monday afternoon.

“Not so fast,” Jamie said. “You need to pack your bags.”

“Why do I need to do that?” I asked.

“We’re flying to Auburn Hills,” she explained. “Siegel wants you to be backstage at the house show.”

“Well, that sounds very nice -- it really does. But the soonest I’ll be able to get away is Monday, for TV. I need to make arrangements for my dog, and--”

“Don’t worry about Faith. Buddy Lee Parker loves dogs; he’s already agreed to take her for the weekend.”

“Buddy Lee Parker?!” I asked. Was she serious?

“You need to dive in head first,” she told me.

“I could’ve sworn I had,” I spat.

“The boys have heard about Eric Bischoff’s firing. I’m sure they’re interested in meeting you; hearing what you have to say.”

“I don’t have anything to say,” I told her. “I don’t know what the hell I’m doing.”

“You’ll figure it out,” she said. She didn’t seem concerned.

9:49am

Marriot Hotel

Lafayette, LA

Being the self-proclaimed Big Sexy had its perks. Kevin Nash hadn’t paid his tab at his favorite Louisiana strip club, Charlie’s Angel’s, in years. But this morning, he was sufferring the after-effects of a night of lap dances and shots, all on the house. He poured a cup of hot coffee, and nearly dropped the cup when his phone rang -- loudly.

Nash answered. “Yo,” he said, rubbing his temples.

Lex Luger was on the other end of the call. “It’s true,” he said.

“Bischoff’s out?” Nash asked.

“I talked to him this morning,” Luger confirmed. “The suits, they want a ‘new creative direction,’ whatver that means.”

“They want to take the book away from me,” Nash said, shaking his head.

“What are you gonna do?” Luger asked.

“I can’t stop them from getting a new booker. But I don’t have to make it easy for the bastards, either.”

12:37pm

USAirways Flight 3310

Atlanta, GA to Detroit, MI

Jamie hung up the on-flight phone. “I’ve got good news and bad news,” she said. I braced for impact. “The good news is that Jericho’s agreed to fly in to Detroit and take a meeting with you backstage at the show tonight.”

“Nice,” I said.

“What do you plan on sayin’ to him? What makes you think you’ll be able to convince him to stay?”

“Don’t worry about it,” I said. “Tell me the bad news, already.”

“I spoke to Lou in production. He says they had the announcers promoting Kevin Nash vs. David Flair for Nitro on the voice-overs for the weekend shows.”

“You’re kidding,” I said.

“Nope. It’s signed and sealed, and now you have to deliver.”

“How am I supposed to pop a rating with Kevin Nash and David Flair?” I bitched.

“Don’t look at me,” Jamie said.

5:40pm

The Palace

Auburn Hills, MI

As I walked with Jamie into the Palace of Auburn Hills, I flipped quickly through a grainy copy of Chris Jericho’s expiring contract. Stapled to the contract was a note indicating the new perquisites Eric Bischoff has offered Jericho during negotiations in order to try and convince him to remain with the company. Bischoff had offered plenty of money, so that was clearly not Jericho’s chief concern. At this point, I was afraid he’d simply laugh me out of our meeting.

Jamie nudged me with her elbow after we turned our third or fourth corner. “I’m trying to read,” I said.

She cleared her throat. I looked up, and before me were Diamond Dallas Page, Sting, Bam Bam Bigelow, Kanyon, Buff Bagwell, Madusa, Miss Madness, Curt Hennig, Bobby Duncum, Billy Kidman, Rey Mysterio, Hardcore Hak, Johnny Grunge, Rocco Rock, Perry Saturn, Silver King, El Dandy, La Parka, Psicosis, Scotty Riggs, and Prince Iaukea.

“Guys,” said Jamie. “This is Tom Quinn. He’s replacing Eric.”

“Hi,” I said. None of them seemed impressed. “Thank you all for being here. I look forward to meeting each of you, discussing the future. I’m very excited about the future. And, uh -- good luck tonight.”

It was not a promising start.

Ric Flair entered the room with his son, David, following close behind. He took stock of the situation. “It’s the new guy,” he said.

“He’s very excited about the future, Ric,” Sting said. I was already the butt of jokes.

“I’ll bet he is,” Flair said.

“I’m a big fan,” I told him, asserting myself (or so I thought).

Flair shook my hand. “Okay, son,” he said. I wasn’t sure if he was referring to me or David. He walked off.

As I exited the room, I bumped into Randy Savage, who was with [the very] Gorgeous George. I extended my hand. “I’m T--,” I started.

“The new guy,” Savage said. I’d always read that he was a legit loose cannon. I now believed it. “I’m real interested to hear what your plans are,” he said, walking off. I knew that none of these men were going to be easy to please.

Jamie rejoined me outside the room. “Jericho’s ready. He’s down the hall, this way.”

I followed Jamie. Suddenly, my high hopes for the Jericho meeting had faded. He was done with the company, and what could I, being the newbie that I was, do to change his mind? Absolutely nothing.

I entered the room in which Jericho was listening to some nondescript rock. After he noticed me standing in the doorway, he turned off his stereo and shook my hand. “How ya doin’, man?”

“It’s nice to meet you,” I said. “Tom Quinn.”

“I don’t envy you, man. Good luck with this.”

“Thanks,” I said.

Jericho turned to resume play of the CD he was listening to, but I spoke, prompting him to stop. “I was actually hoping we could talk,” I said.

“Talk?”

“About your contract,” I said.

Jericho laughed. “I’m done -- in four days, and I have a pretty sweet contract waiting for me in New York.”

“I know you do,” I said. “But I might be able to offer you a pretty sweet deal, too, to stay right where you are.”

“Listen, man; there’s nothing you could offer me to make me stay. I’m not into the politics and the glass ceiling.”

“Neither I am,” I told him. “You like Ric Flair?” I asked.

“Who doesn’t?” Jericho replied.

“I can give you a program with him.”

“That’s not gonna do it,” Jericho stated.

I upped the ante. “One of the top three matches at Starrcade.”

Jericho paused. I had his attention, at the very least.

“And the freedom to pursue your music and other outside interests. That’s the offer,” I said.

“New York is telling me I can work with The Rock. They’re telling me I’ll be headlining WrestleMania before I know it. They’re promising time off for music, too,” he revealed.

“Well,” I shrugged. “The ball’s in your court.”

Jericho tapped on his stereo. I started to wonder if he might actually be considering my offer. “Where’s the paperwork?” he said. “Is this in writing?”

“It can be,” I said. “It can be by the time you’ve wrestled your match tonight.”

“Make it happen,” Jericho said.

In disbelief, I ushered Jamie over to the room from the other end of the hall. While she made her way there, I turned back to Jericho. “Why?” I asked. “What made you decided to stick around?”

“Eric Bischoff’s a prick,” Jericho said. “But so’s Vince McMahon. The option of not working for either of them just presented itself, and I’m going to take it.”

I was pleased. Thrilled. My encounter with the wrestlers in the back had been disconcerting; this was going to be no cakewalk. But I’d accomplished something that day -- something substantial. And for the first time, I believed this thing might actually work.

The next order of business: booking Nitro and finding a way to make it a buzzworthy event, even if I had no choice but to include Kevin Nash vs. David Flair on the card.

OOC: Good point, LB! Of course, I have a pretty good feeling that Sid would've thought of Malenko as nothing more than a "vanilla midget," so it still kinda works. :P Thanks for reading/commenting!

Nitro should be up later today.

Edited by tqwcw

IPB Image

Monday, June 28th, 1999

from the United Center in Chicago, IL.

Hosted by Tony Schiavone, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan, and “Iron” Mike Tenay

We open with a shot of Kevin Nash seated in the parking lot, looking on as cars enter and exit. Tony Schiavone notes that Nash is determined to find out who was driving the hummer that slammed into the limo in which Nash was seated weeks ago on Nitro.

The Nitro opener is shown.

Pyro goes off in the arena as the announcers kick off the show.

Tony: You are looking live at a capacity crowd at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois and you are locked in for two solid hours of action as only World Championship Wrestling and only WCW Monday Nitro can bring you, and Mike Tenay, the World Heavyweight Champion Kevin Nash is a man possessed.

Mike: Tony, I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash so focused -- he is determined to find out who it was who was driving that hummer -- a person who clearly tried to end Nash’s career, at “The Macho Man” Randy Savage’s behest. But, Bobby Heenan, I think it would be a grave mistake for Kevin Nash to lose sight of the fact that he has to contend with David Flair and, more important, the entire Flair contingent, tonight on Nitro.

Bobby: And this is exactly what Savage wants, Tenay. He’s got Nash being pulled in so many different directions that he’s not keeping his eye on the ball -- the World Heavyweight Title.

Tony: Well, Brain, whether he’s focused on it or not, Nash will be in action at the Bash at the Beach in a mere 13 days in tag team competition alongside Sting as they take on the tandem of “The Macho Man” Randy Savage and his associate, the dangerous Sid Vicious. But without urther ado, it’s time to go to the ring for our opening contest, live on Nitro.

Edited by tqwcw

Well, the show didn't dissapoint. :) I like your writing style, you're pretty detailed and I didn't notice many typos or anything. The storylines you've got going right now seen pretty decent, I'm really liking how you had Jericho and Guerrero team up with one another. From the backstage segments and whatnot, it appears as though we'll have a new set of main-event level guys in the future (Jericho for sure, most likely Benoit and Guerrero too). What's good though is that you don't seem to be in a rush to get all of the older guys out. Some people do it too quickly, and it becomes unrealistic.

This is going really well so far. The first show was good, and I enjoyed everything.

One thing though, if the No Limits Soldiers are gone, why are you still advertising the 8 Man Elimination match for Bash At The Beach?

I'm excited to see what you do with the United States Heavyweight Title now that you seem to have skipped on giving it to David Flair. Hopefully you'll open up a tournament to let some of the younger stars shine.

One thing that did disappoint me though, is the way that La Parka was pretty much treated like Disco's jobber. La Parka is God. I don't know if you've seen much of his work outside of WCW, but even his WCW stuff was gold. Especially the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe angle they had going for awhile...so I'm hoping to see some awesome stuff from him too.

Tuesday, June 29th, 1999

8:20am

The Waffle House

Chicago, Illinois

I’ll admit it. I had absolutely no clue who we’d eventually reveal to be the driver of the hummer. When I sat down to write my Nitro script on Sunday, I had to make a decision: either continue that storyline (and others) despite not really knowing where they’d ultimately end up, or abruptly drop it (and others) and start afresh. I decided that asking viewers to pretend that Kevin Nash had never been slammed into by a humvee on live TV would have done more harm than good, and so I went forward with it.

Booking Nitro itself was an interesting process. The first order of business was to let Mr. Nash know that his services as a booker were no longer required. I met with him on Saturday morning in Chicago, and told him that the decision had been made that it would be most beneficial to everyone involved if Nash focused on his on-air role and left the creative tasks to those hired to handle them. “That’s cool,” Nash said -- before reminding me that his contract included provisions that would allow him to refuse to participate in any matches or angles that he deemed potentially damaging to his marketability. He was telling me, in other words, not to even think of trying to bury him.

With that in mind, I had a conference call with the rest of the booking team that afternoon. This crack team consisted of Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Sullivan. No, seriously; it did. I told them during the call that I was interested in trying some new directions and freshening things up, but that I wanted to do so in such a way that wouldn’t be jarring to either the viewers or the talent. All Dusty wanted to know is what I had planned for Team Madness on Nitro. I explained that the only option I saw for the planned David Flair-Kevin Nash match was essentially to make it a clusterf*ck. Dusty, being the run-in enthusiast that he is, registered no objections. When I shared my plans to put Chris Benoit over Dallas Page, Sullivan warned me about damaging DDP’s stock, but I suspect he just wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Benoit actually getting some heat. Once that was out of the way, I realized that at some point in the not-too-distant future, I’d need to retool my not-so-creative team completely.

These were the kinds of thoughts populating my head as I stared into my cup of tepid coffee at the Waffle House the morning after my first Nitro. I didn’t feel strongly one way or another about last night’s show; it had been exciting, of course, to see my booking come to life live, but on the other hand, I wasn’t so crazy about a lot of the storylines I’d inherited -- or about a lot of the top names I had to cater to, either. Backstage, the boys continued to seem suspicious. One thing that did work in my favor was the Jericho news. That he had chosen to re-up with WCW came as a shock to people both within and outside of WCW. My having been able to convince him to stick around seemed to have suggested to a lot of the younger talent that, at the very least, I wouldn’t be another Sullivan, Rhodes, or Bischoff.

Jamie met me at the restaurant as planned. “How long till we get some numbers?” I asked, anxious for the ratings.

“Not till this evening, at the earliest,” she said. What would I do with myself until then (aside from booking the Saturday Night taping, of course)?

“There’s something you should know,” Jamie said.

“Has Siegel changed his mind?” I asked, only half-jokingly. “Is he bringing in someone who’s actually qualified?”

“Rey Mysterio is getting his knee scoped today,” she said.

“That’s not good, is it?” I asked. “He’s been in and out of action for months.”

“He was complaining of some pain after the Rednecks run-in last night. It could be nothing. But, then again,” she said, “he might be back on the shelf.”

Great. Not only had I had a Rey match for Thunder announced on Nitro, but he was also, obviously, pencilled in for the Bash.

“We’ll know more tomorrow,” Jamie revealed. “Have you come up with anything for the pay-per-view? We’ve got to get some more matches announced on Thursday.”

“I know,” I said. “You know how I feel about Rick Steiner, but he’s got the TV Title, so I think we’ll do him and Disco at the Bash.”

“All right,” Jamie said. “That brings us up to a total of four.”

“Bagwell and Piper makes sense at this point,” I continued. Jamie nodded.

“And what about the US Title? What do you have planned for that?” she asked

”Well,” I said. “Here’s the thing. The tag main event is not going to help us shatter any buyrate records, unless we’re talking about the low end of the scale. I’d like to at least try to add another major selling point to the show.”

“What’d you have in mind?”

“We just ran a US Title tournament less than three months ago. It would cheapen the whole concept, and the title, to do another one so soon. So I figure we go with the next best thing.”

“What’s that?” Jamie asked...

IPB Image

WCW Wednesday Morning Newswire

Nitro did a 3.1 composite rating this week, unchanged from last week. The highest quarter hour was Q7, which featured, partially, both the Benoit-Page match and the Guerrero/Jericho segment. That did a 3.7 rating. Q3, featuring Steiner vs. Lenny, dipped as low as 2.5, up against a Corporate Ministry promo on RAW...

Most wrestlers were stunned by the news that Chris Jericho had agreed, at the last minute, to a new contract with the company. A number of sources have indicated that Jericho was offered a number of unorthodox perks to remain with WCW.

There are serious concerns within WCW regarding the lineup for Bash at the Beach, with the feeling being that the card, as it stands, simply won’t generate a lot of buys. A number of ideas aimed at bolstering the show are being discussed...

Kevin Nash was said to be cooperative but not overly friendly with new management backstage at Nitro. He didn’t have much to complain about, given the fact that he was still booked as the centerpiece of the show, but there is the belief among many that the focus of storylines will slowly shift following Bash at the Beach.

Rick Steiner was less than thrilled to learn that he’d be working with Disco Inferno over the next few weeks. Steiner feels he should be pushed as a major player...

Master P is done with WCW. The 8-man No Limit Soldiers vs. West Texas Redneck bout for Bash at the Beach had already been announced, and the promotion will be following through on that match, but it is expected that the No Limit Soldiers gimmick will be phased out in the weeks following the pay-per-view. That said, there is support on the creative team for the West Texas Rednecks gimmick. On a related note, No Limit Soldiers 4x4 and Chase Tatum both have been sent to the Powerplant and will remain there indefinitely. Swoll remains on the active roster for the time-being. Brad Armstrong, who has been a part of the soldiers as “BA,” will likely be repackaged...

Management is in talks with Bill Behrens about opening a “farm” territory in the Atlanta area in an effort to develop new talent.

WWF Notes

RAW popped a gargantuan 6.8 rating with a strong card and weak competition from Nitro.

Rena Mero appeared on Jay Leno on 6/24 to discuss her lawsuit against the WWF. When Leno asked if she would consider signing a contract with another promotion, Mero noted that it would be two more months before her no-compete clause expired...

Vince McMahon is said to feel more than a little embarrassed by the Chris Jericho snafu and may try to recover by pulling what one Titan source described as “a fast one” on WCW...

Quick Raw Results

Ken Shamrock nc. Steve Blackman (Weapons Match)

Chaz def. Meat.

Hardcore Holly def. Kane

The Rock def. Triple H via DQ

Edge def. The Godfather

Bradshaw def. Billy Gunn

Jeff Jarrett def. X-Pac to retain the Intercontinental Title

Steve Austin def. WWE World Champion The Undertaker to win the title.

Edited by tqwcw

Am I the only one who thought it funny that Ric said David was going to ride Space Mountain? We all knoiw what that metaphor means right?!! I'm thinking David should be staying away from that. Which brings me to my only real complaint of this diary, that interview with Ric Flair seemed very forced. It seemed like you were just trying to get all of his catch phrases in there and some just didn't work.

Other then that, solid booking.

Thursday, July 1st, 1999

9:45am

Office of Tom Quinn, Vice-President of World Championship Wrestling

Atlanta, Georgia

I had been very industrious on Wednesday; Thunder was booked and ready to go for the next day. It was not an easy task. I had to flesh out the Sting-Kevin Nash thread of my “A” storyline, but Steve Borden’s contract stipulated that he didn’t have to work Thunder -- ever. So it took a phone call to him to get him to agree to work the show as a favor. I had also been informed that Randy Savage and Gorgeous George were unavailable to work the show, so I figured it was useless to include Sid, Madusa, or Miss Madness, either. Instead, I dispatched a camera crew to Savage’s home in Florida and had them pre-tape a segment to air on the show.

I sat in my Atlanta office on Thursday morning brainstorming for Nitro. I had exchanged emails with Brad Siegel discussing the ratings situation. He let me know that there was no immediate pressure to be getting RAW-like numbers -- not just yet, at least. I had a meeting scheduled with Bill Behrens that afternoon to discuss plans for what we were tentatively calling “Atlanta Championship Wrestling.” The roster was, at the time, burdened by two types of dead weight: the useless type (see Vincent) and the type that was just beyond green, but not without potential (see Evan Karagias). I liked the idea of giving the latter more exposure in the form of in-ring and live microphone experience in a regional federation specifically designed to develop and fine-tune talent. I had several workers in mind for the territory.

My plans for the afternoon, however, would soon change.

Jamie walked into the office. “You want the scoop on Rey?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Do I?”

“His knees are holdin’ up -- for the time-being,” she reported.

I breathed a sigh of relief. “So he’s good to go for tonight?”

She nodded. “We were right about Flair, though,” she said. “It was wise not to pencil him in for a match at the pay-per-view. His doctors faxed over a note this morning stating that his back will continue to keep him out of action for a couple of weeks.”

“Do you think it’s legit?” I asked.

“Ric wasn’t happy with Nash’s booking. I don’t think he has a lot of faith that things are going to get any better now,” she said.

“He doesn’t want his career to end on such an underwhelming note,” I nodded. This was yet another developing issue of which to keep track.

“Now would be a good time to discuss Nitro,” she said. “Have you taken a look at the events calendar?”

“I haven’t had much time to get caught up,” I said, shaking my head.

“We’re at the Dome on Monday,” Jamie revealed.

“The Georgia Dome?” I asked.

“You haven’t been watching closely over the past few weeks, have you?” she asked. “We’ve been hyping it up pretty seriously.”

“So next Monday’s show is supposed to be big?”

“Right,” she confirmed. “And not just because it’s the go-home show before Bash at the Beach.”

“I don’t exactly have a myriad of options at this point,” I complained.

“You’ve got to come up with something,” she said, unsympathetically.

I took a deep breath. “Clear my schedule for this afternoon. I need you to make a couple of phone calls.”

11:03am

Delta Airlines Flight 597

Charlotte, NC to Monroe, LA

Ric Flair returned from the airplane lavatory and retook his seat next to Arn Anderson. “So, I had my doctor fax the note to the office this morning.”

“Saying you won’t be good to go till after the pay-per-view?” Arn asked.

“That’s right.”

“I thought your back had stopped bothering you,” Arn said.

“It has,” Ric said.

“Oh,” said Arn. “I get it.”

“Look,” Ric explained. “There are a lot of things I’m willin’ to do. This comedy stuff with David -- that’s fine, in the short-term, especially if helps him out. But in the long-term, these people don’t have my best interests at heart. You know that.”

“You think you’ve still got enemies to worry about, even with Bischoff gone?”

“There are a lot of people who figure I’ve got one foot out the door,” Ric noted.

“Well, yeah,” said Arn. “Because you do. How many times have you spoken to Vince over the past couple of months? At least three, right?”

“I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: my contract’s up in January, and I’ve got a better gig and fewer ill feelings waiting for me in New York.”

“Things might be getting better here,” Arn replied. “You’ve seen the early Thunder script: you’re the center of the show.”

“There’s a difference between knowing I can draw a rating and marketing me well,” Ric argued. “This new kid hasn’t done anything to prove to me that he sees me as anything other than a selling point to exploit.”

OOC:

I know it's an arbitrary concept, but I've always been a sucker for star ratings if you catch my drift.

IPB Image

Thursday, July 1st, 1999

from the Civic Center in Monroe, LA.

Hosted by “Iron” Mike Tenay and “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyzsko

-The show opens with a dramatic vignette of the bloody attack on World Champion Kevin Nash at the hands of Randy Savage, Sid, Ric Flair, Roddy Piper, and Arn Anderson, and of Sting’s dramatic arrival to save the day, from Nitro.

-The Thunder opener is shown.

-After a quick pyro display and welcome from Tenay, Wolfpac music begins and Kevin Nash makes his way into the arena with the World Heavyweight Title draped over his shoulder -- and sporting a bandage on his forehead. In the ring, he squeezes every last drop out of his initial pop, and then speaks.

Kevin: Monroe, Louisiana. Big Sexy in the hizouse. (Pause for pop). Monday night, I took David Flair to school. And when I was done, I got jumped. When I woke up an hour later at Cook County General, they told me that Randy Savage had bashed me in the skull ten times with my fifty pound World Heavyweight Title belt. They gave me thirty stitches, and I stood up and walked out. Mach, you gave me a concussion. You brought Sid Vicious back to WCW for the sole purpose fo taking me out. And you had me slammed into with a humvee. But guess what? I’m still here, I’m still the champion, and I’m not going anywhere, anytime soon. (Pause for pop). On July 11th at the Bash of the Beach in Ft. Lauderdale, I’m going to do to you what you can’t seem to do to me: I’m going to beat you in the middle of the ring, and prove once again that you just don’t have it. But there’s another piece of business that I came here tonight to take care of, and it doesn’t involve the Macho Man. It doesn’t involve Sid Vicious. The man I want to address right now is you, Sting. (Pause for pop). Back in Chi-town on Monday, when I got back to my hotel room at 3am and watched the tape of the show, I saw what happened in that ring after I passed out. I saw Sting come into the United Center and clean house. Sting, you’ve been the man before. You’ve had the gold around your waist, and you know that when you’re the champion, you can’t trust anybody. And everyone knows that a couple of weeks ago, I looked you in the eyes and I accused you of being the son of a bitch who tried to crush me with that hummer. (Pause). I didn’t trust you then, and I’m not going to apologize for it. But at the Bash at the Beach in ten days, it’s you and me on the same side of the ring against Savage and Sid, and I won’t have a choice but to trust you then. And I’m gonna ask you to take a leap of faith and believe in me. The doctors in Chicago told me that the damage had been done. They told me they didn’t want me wrestling at the Bash, or at any time before the Bash, either. They said it was too much of a risk. But you know what I say to that? I say [censored] it. (Pause). I have something to prove, Sting. We have something to prove. I’m talking about at the Bash at the Beach, and I’m talking tonight, too, right here in Monroe. (Pause for cheap pop). I’m asking you to walk down that aisle and stand in my corner tonight, and I want Randy Savage and Sid -- whatever he’s calling himself this week -- to watch what we do -- to taste a little preview of the Bash, concussion and stiches be damned. So, Sting, I’m asking you to show up. And Ric Flair? I’m telling you to send down the best team that you have to offer. And as good as they’ll be, as good as Savage and Sid are, in the end it’s not gonna matter because Big Sexy? Big Sexy is just -- too -- sweet.

Nash leaves the ring having made his challenge.

-We go to Mike and Larry at the announce position.

Mike: Kevin Nash has issued a huge tag team challenge for tonight, and there’s no telling how it’s going to pan out, Living Legend.

Larry: My question is, who’s Ric Flair going to send down to the ring? I mean, given what Kevin Nash did to Flair’s own son on Monday night, the Nature Boy is going to be out for revenge, and if there’s anyone in the back who knows how to dish it out, it’s the President. And what about Sting? Will Sting take that leap of faith that Nash is asking him to take? Is he prepared to trust Kevin Nash even though Nash hasn’t been willing to trust him? I just don’t know.

Mike: Well, Larry Zbysko, what we do know is that we’ve got a huge, live edition of Thunder ahead of us: we’ve been promised a resolution to the US Heavyweight Title situation; that championship has been in limbo ever since Scott Steiner was put on the shelf with a back injury earlier this Spring. We have no idea what the president of WCW, Ric Flair, has in store where that is concerned. We also had a big, cruiserweight tag team match signed backstage on Monday night: it’ll be the team of Psicosis and Hector Garza up against the Cruiserweight Champ Rey Mysterio, Jr. and the man who has earned the right to challenge for that title, Chavo Guerrero, Jr. We will hear from the ruthless “Macho Man” Randy Savage tonight, the Triad is here, and up next, the so-called “Crusade Against Tyranny” continues as Chris Jericho appears in singles competition. Stay with us!

(Commercial break.)

-Nitro Highlight (6/28): Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero join forces.

(1) Norman Smiley vs. Chris Jericho (w/Eddie Guerrero).

Norman Smiley makes an energetic entrance and is followed by Chris Jericho, accompanied by Eddie Guerrero. In discussing the Jericho/Guerrero alliance, Tenay makes note of the history between the two men. Smiley and Jericho mesh in such a way that they’re able to put on a more technically-based match than we’ve been exposed to recently on TV. This is ultimately, however, a Jericho formula match: the Springboard Dropkick, Lionsault, and Cocky Pin are all broken out fairly early on. At one point, Jericho drapes Smiley’s head over the bottom rope facing the crowd, and while Jericho distracts Billy Silverman, Eddie delivers a couple of slaps to Norman. Zbyzsko rightly wonders how this constitutes a “Crusade Against Tyranny.” Smiley is able to gain the upper hand for a few sustained minutes, hitting a textbook vertical suplex, and then humiliating Jericho with the Big Wiggle! Jericho comes back, however, hitting Smiley with a back elbow after an Irish Whip. He then executes his Modified Bulldog. Smiley escapes a pin attempt. Moments later, he is able to try and lock on the Norman Conquest, but Jericho reverses it with an inverted suplex. Minutes later, Jericho successfully locks on the Liontamer out of a Powerbomb.

WINNER: Chris Jericho at ~7:00

STAR RATING: *3/4 – Solid, but not long enough to qualify as anything better than average. As valuable a hand as Smiley as, I can’t imagine that Jericho re-signed for this...

-Post-match, Guerrero enters the ring and kicks Smiley a few times before sending him to the outside. Meanwhile, Jericho grabs a mic and speaks while catching his breath.

Chris: Clearly, Christeria is running wild in -- wherever the hell we are.

Eddie is handed a mic by David Penzer.

Eddie: Chris, man, I just wanted to join these people in applauding your performance here tonight. That was amazing.

Chris: Thank you, Gringo. Muchas gracias. Norman was a worthy opponent, while he lasted. I think it’s becoming quite clear that the Crusade Against Tyranny is unstoppable with yours truly and you, my friend, at the helm. And with that in mind, we’ve got some questions to ask here tonight. To be more precise, we demand some answers here tonight.

Eddie: That’s right, because all you people know that, pound for pound, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho are the greatest atheletes in the locker room.

Chris: And it’s about time we got some accolades. WCW has worked hard to make you all forget, but JoJo Dillon, that evil, corrupt head of the executive committee, saw to it that I was unfairly ejected from the US Heavyweight Title tournament earlier this year.

Eddie: Not only were you forced out of the tournament, Chris, but I wasn’t even included. Granted, I was in traction at the time, but no one even did me the courtesy of offering me a spot.

Chris: It’s a travesty, and it will not stand. We’ve been waiting long enough; it’s time for Ric Flair to lay his cards on the table. If he doesn’t owe it to me, at the very least, he owes it to the Jerichoholics.

Eddie: And to my abuela. Grandma’s very upset.

Chris: That’s right. Chavo says she’s broken out with shingles again. So, Ric Flair, I demand that you come out and share with the world your plans for the vacant United States championship.

As the Crusaders await Ric Flair’s entrance, Tenay observes that calling out Flair may have been a risky move on their part. Momentarily, Flair’s all-too-recognizable theme plays, and he makes his way to the ring with Asya. In the squared circle, he stares down Jericho and Guerrero for a moment, and then speaks.

Ric: Did I hear correctly? Did the two of you just call me out on my show, in my ring, on my microphones?

Jericho and Guerrero exchange glances.

Chris (backing down): We’re just eager to hear what you have to say, Mr. President.

Ric: Well, in that case, I’ll let you in on my plans for the US Heavyweight Title. This is a championship that has been held by some of the biggest names in this sport: Sting, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Rick Rude, Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat, Roddy Piper, Goldberg, and, last but not least, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair.

Eddie: And me, too, Mr. Flair.

Ric: That’s right, Eddie. We wouldn’t want to forget about that. The bottom line is that this is a prestigious belt, and we need to crown a new champion. But I’m not a very patient person. I’m not going to sit through another tournament. I want results, and I want them fast. So we’re going to resolve this thing in one night.

Chris: Wait a second, Ric. Does this mean you’re going to hand pick a new champion? Because if you are, I--

Ric: I’m not going to hand-pick a champion, Jericho. And who told you to call me “Ric?” No. We’re going to get the most qualified competitors, we’re gonna put them in the ring, and one man is going to emerge the United States Heavyweight Champion. At the Bash at the Beach, we’re going to have a 10-man, over the top rope Battle Royal; the winner will be crowned US Champion on the spot.

Eddie and Chris are extremely interested in this.

Eddie: The ten most qualified candidates? That includes us, right? I mean, it has to.

Flair pauses before answering.

Ric: That’s for me to know, and you to find out -- Monday night on Nitro, when the list of 10 participants is revealed live at the Georgie Dome in Atlanta.

Chris: May I take this opportunity to compliment you on your decisiveness, Mr. Flair? You are, without a doubt, the most assertive, diplomatic President in the very history of World Championship Wrestling. You make me proud to be a part of this company.

Ric: That’s all very touching, Jericho. Now why don’t you take your new friend and get out of my ring so I can get to the other items on my agenda?

Chris: Of course, sir; of course. And we’ll see you on Monday night!

Jericho and Guerrero smile obsequiously and then make their way to the back. Flair, getting down to business, removes his jacket and looks into the camera.

Ric: Now. Let’s start at the top. Kevin Nash, I’ve never liked you. I don’t like it that you’re wearing the WCW World Heavyweight Title. But on Monday night, you crossed a line. You’ve done the impossible: you’ve made me throw my support behind Randy Savage. I support him tonight, and I’ll support him and Sid Vicious against you and Sting at the Bash at the Beach. You have no idea the kind of trouble you’ve asked for, Nash, and your personal hell is going to start right here, tonight on Thunder. I know just who I want to face you and Sting in tonight’s main event, and these men have the means and motive and I’m giving them the opportunity to obliterate you both. I am not a man you want to cross. That goes for you, too, Marcus Bagwell. Roddy Piper was the best man at my wedding, and that means that if you disrespect him, you disrespect me, and that’s just what you did on Nitro. You want it? You got it. At the Bash at the Beach, it’s going to be the Hot Rod against Buff Bagwell, and Bagwell, I’m tellin’ you now that you don’t have a prayer. I am the Nature Boy Ric Flair, and I am a man of action. I’m not done yet. (Flair turns to Asya). Asya. The most terrifying woman in wrestling today. Monday night, you dropped the ball.

Asya nods, as if to admit to it and apologize.

Ric: I am the president of World Championship Wrestling. I can’t have the people I surround myself with making mistakes.

Asya shakes her head, again agreeing.

Ric: Are you going to mess up, Asya? Ever again?

Asya shakes her head, making a promise.

Ric: You’re guaranteeing that you won’t be a problem for me?

Asya nods.

Ric: Well, guess what? Your guarantee doesn’t mean a thing to me. I’ve got to see to it that you won’t drop the ball again. It’s my responsiblity, and so, here goes. Asya: You’re fired!

Asya is stunned. She tries pleading her case.

Ric: Get out before I throw you out. And I’m going to do each and every person in the back a favor right now and say that with me, it’s one strike and you’re out. Asya is casuality number one. There’s no telling who’s next.

A heated Flair shoves the camera man out of the way as security escorts Asya up the ramp.

(Commercial break.)

-Backstage, the cameras follow the angry president. He spots Hardcore Hak enjoying a cold one and a smoke alongside Chastity in a corner, and he stops to approach them.

Ric: What is this?

Hak (blowing smoke in Flair’s face): What does it look like?

Ric: I’ve got a newsflash for you. This isn’t one of those bingo halls you’re so used to. This isn’t the bush league or barbed wire city. This is WCW.

Hak: What’s your point?

Ric: My point is that if you don’t loose the beer, the cigarettes, the whole routine -- you’re gone. You got it?

Flair walks away and Hak & Chastity look at each other, almost amused.

-We go back to the announce position, where Tenay and Zbyszko are in a state of shock.

Mike: Larry Zbyszko, I’m not even sure where to start.

Larry: Don’t look at me, Tenay!

Mike: Ric Flair is on edge, and he has put the entire WCW locker room on notice. Who knows what’s going to happen next?

(2) Jerry Flynn (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Buff Bagwell.

Flynn has made his entrance during the break. As Bagwell enters, Tenay stresses that the just-booked match between Bagwell and Piper at the Bash at the Beach will be their first in-ring meeting. Bagwell appears enthusiastic about the news, but his distraction gives Flynn a bit of an advantage in the early going, as he uses some of his kicks to surprise Bagwell. Bagwell comes back with a series of clotheslines and a Belly to Belly suplex. At 4:00, Jimmy Hart jumps onto the ring apon with the megaphone; Buff decks him, sending him down to the floor to the crowd’s delight. This presents an opening for Flynn, however, who grounds Bagwell with a series of submission holds. Bagwell takes advantage of an Irish Whip by going into a Thesz Press, taking Flynn down. He then hits a scoop slam and an inverted atomic drop, allowing him to nail the Blockbuster for the win.

WINNER: Buff Bagwell at ~6:00

STAR RATING: * – Flynn continues to show no improvement in his chain wrestling, and he seems to be less charismatic than ever, as hard as that is to grasp. Pairing him with Jimmy Hart has not done the trick. This was a showcase for Bagwell...

-Nitro Highlight (6/28): Rey Mysterio, Jr. saves Chavo Guerrero, Jr. from a Psicosis/Garza double-team following the 4-way bout. Still to come: Rey & Chavo vs. Psicosis & Garza!

(Commercial break.)

-Scott Hudson is with Billy Kidman in the backstage interview area.

Scott: Welcome back, everybody, as a wild night on Thunder continues. Billy Kidman, in ten days at the Bash at the Beach, you’re set to be a part of that big 8-man elimination tag team match pitting the West Texas Rednecks against the coalition that includes yourself, Konnan, Rey Mysterio, and the big man, Swoll, but you can’t look too far ahead, as you’ve got the veteran Curt Hennig in singles competition on Nitro from the Georgia Dome.

Billy: That’s right, Scott, and I understand Curt feels he’s going to be able to “squash me like a cockroach” when we go one on one. Sounds to me like Curt’s made the mistake of interpreting the label “cruiserweight” as some kind of shortcoming. Correction, Curt: the only thing my being a cruiserweight means is that I’ve got that many more ways to come at you, and I’m going to use them. You think our match on Nitro’s going to be some kind of walk in the park? An easy win? We’ll see about that, Curt, because as far as I’m concerned, the Shooting Star Press would be the perfect ending to our little meeting.

Scott: Kidman and Hennig, one-on-one on Nitro!

-Back in the arena, Disco Fever begins playing, and the Disco Inferno makes his way the ring -- unscheduled. Once there, he speaks.

Disco Inferno: Folks, the bad news is, I didn’t come out here tonight to dance. (Waits for sounds of disappointment from the crowd). I know, I know -- it’s what you all paid to see. And I will make it up to you. That’s a promise. The reason I’m out here is that I’ve got a bone to pick with the World Television Champion, Rick Steiner. You see, I’ve been piling up victory after victory all year long, and on Monday night, I figured I’d paid enough dues: I’d earned myself another shot at the title I’ve held not one, but two times in the past -- the title held by the Dog-Faced Gremlin himself, Rick Steiner. Well, based on my encounter with Mr. Steiner backstage in Chicago, I can tell you two things: one, he’s earned the “Dog-Faced” moniker. Two, he hasn’t earned that TV Title. Monday night, he brushed me aside -- literally. But tonight, I will be heard, and I’m not going to leave this ring until Steiner shows himself and grants me a shot at that belt.

Disco makes himself comfortable, taking a seat on one of the top turnbuckles. The crowd grows restless while Disco waits, checking his imaginary watch and whistling. Finally, Rick Steiner powerwalks to the ring with the Television Title. Disco meets him in the center of the ring.

Disco: Rick, I knew you’d come. So, what do you say? Are you going to be man enough? Do you have the guts to put that title on the line against the Disco Inferno?

Steiner waits a moment, and then out of nowhere kicks him in the gut. He then delivers a crucifix-style powerbomb, taking Disco out. Tenay notes that this is uncalled for.

Steiner picks up the mic.

Rick: You want a shot? You got it.

Steiner takes his belt and stalks back up the ramp, with Disco laid out in the ring.

(Commercial break.)

-Highlight: Steiner attacks Disco moments ago. Tenay announces that Rick Steiner vs. Disco Inferno for the TV Title has been added to the card for Bash at the Beach.

(3) Steve Armstrong vs. Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart)

Armstrong enters with a new look: black trunks and a shaved head. Zbyszko remarks on the resemblance to “Stone Cold” Steve Austin without naming names. Armstrong goes on the offensive early, but Morrus’s size and strength advantage is simply too much. The announcers use the match to speculate on Flair’s hand-picked opponents for Nash & Sting, and on whether Sting will even show up tonight. Morrus ties Armstrong in a Tree of Woe in the corner at one point and flattens him with a high-velocity splash. Morrus also employs a short leg drop, a press slam, and a hanging vertical suplex before finishing Armstrong off with the No Laughing Matter.

WINNER: Hugh Morrus at ~3:00

STAR RATING: n/a – Essentially a squash.

-Up next: “The Macho Man” Randy Savage comments on the heinous attack he led on the World Champion Kevin Nash this past Monday on Nitro.

(Commercial break.)

-Tenay explains that Randy Savage prepared a statement at his home earlier in the day.

Savage is seated at his home with Gorgeous George standing behind him.

Randy: Everyone’s been asking the Macho Man a whole lot of questions since Monday night, and so I figure this is the best place to answer them. This is the best place because there’s one man I want to hear this more than anyone, and that’s you, Kevin Nash. When I was out for a year rehabbing my shattered leg, people seemed to forget. They forgot that I was a World Champion. They forgot that I’ve sold out arenas all across the world. They forgot about all of the Macho Man’s epic matches. And you, Kevin Nash: you forgot all of that, and you forgot that without me, there would have been no Wolfpac, and without the Wolfpac, you never would have won the World Heavyweight Title in the first place. When I was going through ten hours of physical therapy a day, I never heard from you. When I was working out in the ring after the doctors said I’d never return, I never heard from you. You never even called to ask me how I was doing, Kevin Nash, and that was very, very insulting. But everybody knows now that I’m back. I have a long list of things on my to-do list, and the first is to remind you and all of the other ungrateful people out there who forgot about the Macho Man Randy Savage that I am the most dangerous, unpredictable force in this sport. I want that World Heavyweight Title. I want my rightful place at the top of WCW, and I will topple you to get what I want; oh, yeah. By the time it’s all said and done, people are going to remember who I am and what I’ve done and what I’m capable of doing in the future. They’ve already banned by finishing move, the top rope elbow, because they say I’ve collapsed too many lungs since I’ve been back. What happened on Monday night, when I took you out in that ring -- that shouldn’t have come as a surprise to anyone. That I have a friend who was willing to take a kamikaze run at your limousine in a humvee shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. There’s no stopping me, Kevin Nash. There’s no controlling me. When I came back, I said that the Madness was here to stay, and I meant it. I’m unleashing a kind of Madness that no one in this business has ever seen before, and at the Bash at the Beach, I’m going to make what happened on Nitro and what happened that that hummer look like child’s play. You made the mistake of forgetting the Macho Man, Nash, and now you’re going to pay for it with your career.

The spot ends with an extreme close-up of Savage.

-Scott Hudson, almost silenced by Savage’s words, is backstage with the newly formed faction of Steven Regal, Fit Finlay, and David Taylor.

Scott: On that note, ladies and gentlemen, I’m here with three men who apparently formed an alliance last week here on this program, and of course, none of them are strangers to each other. Steven Regal, you just made your return to WCW after a bit of a hiatus, and--

Steven: Hold on just a minute, Sunshine. I’ve got a question for you. What the bloody hell was Randy Savage on about just now?

Scott: To be honest, I’m not exactly sure. He seemed determined, to say the least. But let’s return to the subject at hand. Last week, these two men, Finlay and Taylor, came up short in tag team competition with Chris Benoit and Perry Saturn. That’s nothing to be ashamed about, but after the match, you showed up, Steven Regal, and exchanged words with Mr. Finlay and Mr. Taylor. Clue us in.

Steven: WCW is a horrible place to work, Scott Hudson, but I need the bleeding money, don’t I? And so do Finlay and Taylor. The problem in, no one in the back is particularly interested in doing those of us who aren’t from this damnable country any favors.

Scott: So, you’re contending that you and your brethren from the United Kingdom have to stick together.

Steven: That’s exactly what I’m saying. And don’t make a habit of interrupting me.

Scott: Steven Regal back in action, next!

(Commercial break.)

(4) Evan Karagias vs. Steven Regal (w/Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor)

Tenay remarks during Karagias’s entrance that he had his own problems with Ric Flair last week on Thunder. Finlay and Taylor accompany Regal to the ring waving union jacks. During the match itself, Regal keeps the usually more arial Karagias fairly grounded. Finlay and Taylor argue with fans at ringside. Regal appears to have his weight under control, at least for the time-being. Karagias gets a two count following a flying body press. Back on their feet, Regal takes the advantage with an eye poke, and takes down Karagias, putting him in a modified figure four. After the hold is broken, Regal kicks Karagias to the outside. While Regal bickers with Nick Patrick, Finlay hits his impressive rolling fireman’s carry slam on Karagias. He then rolls him back to the inside, where Regal executes a Mahistral Cradle but only gets the two. Regal sends Karagias into the ropes, but Evan escapes an attempt at a Sleeper Hold and sends Regal down with a dropkick. Evan rallies the crowd and attempts a Sunset Flip on Regal, but Regal maintains a base and ends up slapping on the Regal Stretch, leading to the submission.

WINNER: Steven Regal at ~8:00

STAR RATING: ** – Regal is in good shape and brought Karagias up a step or two.

-Back to Tenay and Zbyzsko.

Mike: We’ve got our cruiserweight tag team match coming up next, Living Legend, but it’s time to take a minute and discuss the big -- huge -- Nitro we’ve got lined up in just four days from the Georgia Dome.

Larry: Well, we’ll be just six days away from the Bash at the Beach, so you know right away that it’s going to be a big one.

Mike: Not only that, but WCW will be on its home turf, which usually means that it’s going to be a blockbuster. We already know that Ric Flair is going to name the ten participants he’s selected to compete for the US Heavyweight Title at the Bash at the Beach. We know that Curt Hennig will go one on one with Billy Kidman. We can also confirm that, in response to recent problems between the men involved, a huge 6-man tag team match has been signed: it’ll be the Triad of Diamond Dallas Page, Kanyon, and Bam Bam Bigelow -- the tag team champions -- taking on the formidable team of the “Canadian Crippler” Chris Benoit, Booker T, and Perry Saturn.

Larry: That one could get out of control.

Mike: I’d expect nothing less. We’re also expecting Kevin Nash, Sting, “The Macho Man” Randy Savage, and Sid Vicious to be in the building as all four of those men prepare for the main event at the Bash at the Beach. And, finally, I have it on good authority that more than one big name will be making appearances at the Georgia Dome following extended absences from WCW.

Larry: Big names? Well, don’t leave us hanging like that, Tenay. Who are we talking about, here?!

Mike: I can’t reveal any further details at this time, Larry, but I’m going to go out on a limb and declare that Monday’s upcoming Nitro is one that you cannot miss!

(Commercial break.)

-Out back, the cameras spy Ric Flair finishing up a phone call.

Ric: Oh, I’m going to get it done. That’s a guarantee.

When Ric hangs up, he is approached by Jimmy Hart.

Jimmy: May I have a word, Ric?

Ric: I’m a busy man, Hart.

Jimmy: Of course you are. I’ve just got to ask you if you saw Hugh Morrus out there earlier against Steve Armstrong.

Ric: Sure. I saw.

Jimmy: Morrus made mincemeat out of Armstrong. He’s in line for an opportunity, already.

Ric (the gears in his head turning): You’re looking for an opportunity for the big man?

Jimmy: That’s right.

Ric: I’m always happy to give a deserving guy an opportunity. I’d like to see Hugh Morrus in action at the Bash at the Beach -- in a Hardcore Match. Against Hardcore Hak.

Jimmy: A hardcore match between Morrus and Hak?!

Ric: That’s right. And you tell your guy not to hold back -- the sky’s the limit.

Jimmy: Sky’s the limit. Got it, Ric. And thanks!

(5) Psicosis & Hector Garza vs. Chavo Guerrero, Jr. & Rey Mysterio, Jr. (w/Konnan)

Chavo and Rey are given separate entrances. Konnan takes advantage of the opportunity to do his “bout it, bout it and rowdy, rowdy” routine before the bell. Guerrero and Mysterio appear to be on the same page, and Tenay puts over the fact that theirs is a team that was brought together by mutual respect. Garza and Guerrero start with a series of fast-paced offensive maneuvers and counters. Garza and Psicosis make quick tags and are able to wear down Guerrero. Psicosis gets a nearfall after a slingshot somersault splash. Moments later, Psicosis prepares for a headscissors from the top rope, but Chavo holds on to the top rope; Psicosis crashes to the mat. Chavo with a high elevation flying body press for two. Chavo hits a series of his uppercuts and then a brainbuster. With Psicosis down, Chavo takes the time to dropkick Garza off the apron, and then finally tags in Rey to the crowd’s delight. Mysterio comes in with a dropkick on Psicosis, and then goes up top and hits his Thesz Press for a two count. Rey charges at Psicosis in the corner, but Psicosis gets a boot up and tags in the fresh man. Garza has a considerable size advantage on Rey Rey and uses it. Garza and Psicosis seize several opportunities for double teams on Rey while Mickey Jay keeps Chavo in the corner. Garza plans Rey with a big superplex, and then tags in Psicosis again. Psicosis punishes Rey with a backbreaker, and then goes up for the Guillotine Legdrop. He telegraphs, however; Rey avoids the move and while Psicosis smarts from the missed move, Chavo is tagged back in. Chavo is a house afire against Psicosis. Garza runs in but is backdropped out by Chavo. Rey, regaining his energy, takes Garza down for good on the outside with a plancha, but the cameraman only picked up the second half of the high-risk money move. Bummer. Meanwhile, Chavo plans Psicosis with a Northern Lights Suplex and gets the win!

WINNERS: Rey & Chavo at ~11:00

STAR RATING: **1/2 – The action was good and the Rey/Chavo dynamic seems to be developing further. The missed shot of Rey’s plancha was unfortunate, though.

Post-match, Konnan and Rey re-enter the ring to celebrate with Chavo. Chavo climbs to the outside and takes the Cruiserweight title from the timekeeper. Rey and Konnan look on in confusion. Chavo steps back into the ring holding the title. He admires it for a moment, and then hands Rey his belt, acknowledging his partner and future opponent by raising his hand.

(Commercial break.)

-A new promo for Bash at the Beach is shown, with new matches added:

• Sting & Kevin Nash vs. Randy Savage & Sid (w/Team Madness)
  • Just Added: “Rowdy” Roddy Piper vs. Buff Bagwell
  • Just Added: United States Heavyweight Title Match: 10-Man Battle Royal. Participants to be revealed on Nitro.
  • World Tag Team Title Match: Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Bam Bam Bigelow © (w/Kanyon)
  • Just Added: Television Title Match: Rick Steiner © vs. Disco Inferno
  • Just Added: Hardcore Match: Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity) vs. Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart)
  • Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match West Texas Rednecks vs. No Limit Soldiers
-Back live, Tenay adds that Chavo vs. Psicosis has also been placed on the Bash card, as of the commercial break.

-Three familiar words (“Self high five”) blast over the sound system, and the “Jersey Boys” Triad of Diamond Dallas Page, Kanyon, and Bam Bam Bigelow head to the ring with the World Tag Team titles. Tenay promotes both the tag team title match scheduled for the Bash, and the 6-man that has been signed for Nitro. Page has a mic in the ring.

DDP: Cut -- my -- music. (Disgusted). You know, I don’t think much of the reception that you people just gave myself, Kanyon, and Bam Bam Bigelow. Take a good look, people. We are World Champions, and we didn’t have to come here tonight. It is your privilege to be seeing the Triad here tonight. But it seems to me that the fans aren’t the only ones without a clue, Kanyon.

Kanyon (playing along): Oh, yeah? Who are we talkin’ about here, DDP?

DDP: We’re talkin’ about about that overrated, underachieving punk, “The Canadian Crybaby,” Chris Benoit. Benoit, I know you’ve been running around with your sidekick -- with that freak, Perry Saturn, telling anyone who’ll listen that you’re just itching to put Diamond Dallas Page in that Crippler Crossface. More than the World Tag Team titles, you want to get me to tap out -- to quit. You even tried it on Monday night, and what happened? Nothing happened. I didn’t tap, and I will never tap. You will never force me to quit, and you will never get your hands on the World Tag Team Titles.

Kanyon interrupts.

Kanyon (again, playing along): Wait, wait, wait, DDP. I see what you’re sayin’, and Bam Bam sees what you’re sayin’, but Chris Benoit? He’s slow, you know? He’s got a really thick skull, and I’m just not sure he’s gonna take any of this in. I don’t know what to say.

DDP: You know what, Kanyon? You’re right. It’s not gonna work, trying to tell Chris Benoit how things are. I’m gonna have to go one step further. I’m gonna have to show him. So, hey -- I’m talking to you, you idiots in the truck. Roll the footage.

The announcers wonder what this is about while the Triad waits for the footage to roll. From Superbrawl VIII in 1998: Diamond Dallas Page pins Chris Benoit following the Diamond Cutter to retain the US Heavyweight Title.

Back live, Page and his cohorts look on wearing smug expressions.

DDP: Does that help, Benoit? Are we clear now? I own you. Forget your Crippler Crossface. It’s happened before and it’ll happen again. Monday Nitro, Bash at the Beach -- Benoit, you will feel -- the -- bang!

Page’s music begins again and he and the rest of the Triad make their way to the back, verbally clashing with the fans en route.

-Tenay and Zbyzsko react.

Mike: Larry Zbyzsko, all I can say is that Diamond Dallas Page suddenly has a very selective memory. Chris Benoit defeated DDP just three days ago on Nitro!

Larry: Well, Mike that’s true, but at the same time, Page has got a point: he hasn’t submitted to Chris Benoit. Now, obviously, he’s trying to play mindgames with Benoit going into the Bash at the Beach and Nitro, but the pressure’s on the Canadian Cripper and his partner, Saturn, to produce results.

Mike: It certainly is, and fans, our main event is just minutes away. Will Sting take the leap of faith and join Kevin Nash? And who does Ric Flair have up his sleeve? Who will face the World Heavyweight Champ and the Franchise? We’ll find out, next!

(Commercial break.)

-A brief pyro display indicates that it’s main event time. Tenay indicates that they’ve just been informed that Ric Flair has a “huge” announcement concerning Bash at the Beach to be divulged on Nitro; apparently, it’s going to rock the foundation of the main event tag team match at the pay-per-view.

-A short pause follows as we wait to discover who Flair has chosen to face Nash and Sting. Finally, nWo music starts, and the team of Stevie Ray & Brian Adams, still carrying the Black & White banner, make their way to the ring. Once there, Stevie Ray takes the mic.

Stevie Ray: That’s right. Ric Flair knows there’s only one force in the back powerful enough to take out Kevin Nash and Sting, and it’s the nWo Black & White. Brian Adams and Stevie Ray don’t want to wait any longer; send those Fruit Booties out here so we can get this thing done!

Stevie Ray poses and the announces point out that Stevie may have been employing hyperbole by suggesting that the depleted nWo Black & White is the most powerful force in the promotion...

Wolfpac music brings out World Champ Nash. He stops at ringside to wait for Sting’s entrance. The house lights go down. After a dramatic ten second delay, Seek and Destroy plays, and Sting appears at the entrance! He’s answered the call! Sting takes his walk to ringside, where he and Nash come face to face. After a brief staredown, they both enter the ring and are attacked by the heels, signifying the start of the match.

(6) Stevie Ray & Brian Adams vs. Sting & World Heavyweight Champion Kevin Nash

The heels beat down the faces, and Tenay points out that the news that Ric Flair has a bombshell to drop on Nash on Monday’s Nitro could have him distracted from the task at hand. Sting and Nash rally against Stevie and Adams, however, and clear the ring to bring an end to the Black & White’s illegal attack. The crowd approves of Sting & Nash, but they continue to show no great affection for each other as partners. Nick Patrick is finally able to secure some semblance of order, and we begin with Sting and Adams as the legal men. Adams sucker punches Sting as it appears he’s going to set up for a test of strength. The advantage allows Adams to hit several chops in the corner on Sting. He then drives his shoulder into Sting’s midsection several times. Adams slams Sting as though he’s a sack of potatoes, and then hits a big press slam. Sting is in a bad way. Stevie Ray is tagged in, sends Sting into the ropes, and nails the big boot. Stevie continues his attack with an overhead slam, a sloppy double underhook suplex, and several boots to the back. Stevie Ray gets in former comrade Nash’s face. Stevie sends Sting into the ropes, but Sting gets good elevation on a leap frog and hits a stunned Stevie with a series of punches, taking him into the corner. Sting hits several chops, clotheslines Stevie out of the ring, and then howls to the crowd’s delight. Adams comforts Stevie Ray on the outside while Sting makes the tag to the big man. Stevie climbs back in the ring and tags Adams in. Nash and Adams lock up with a collar and elbow, and Tenay notes that Nash is coming off a concussion and some considerable blood loss from Nitro -- there’s some question as to whether he’ll be able to hold up in the ring. Nash and Adams’s exchange of offense is not a pretty sight and features shoddy Irish whips, botched back elbows, and big boots lacking in impressive height. Adams hits a horrible dropkick (he’d clearly been practicing it as an addition to his repertoire) that sends Nash to his knees. Adams then stands above Nash and delivers several punches to the side of his head. Tenay notes that Adams is exploiting the head injuries suffered by Nash three days earlier. Adams grabs Nash by the back of the head and drags him over to the nearest corner, where he slams his head into the middle turnbuckle. Nash blocks a second attempt, however, and slowly gets to his feet! Adams works to curb the comeback, but his punches are blocked. Nash nails a couple of right hands of his own, but Adams regains the upper hand with a desperation headbutt right to Nash’s afflicted area. Adams tags Stevie back in, and Stevie sends Nash back to the mat with a big boot. Sting helps the crowd in rallying behind Nash. Nash no-sells a series of Stevie Ray punches. Getting a second wind, Nash gets Stevie Ray up in a shaky side saltow suplex. He then whips Stevie into the ropes and takes him down with a Big Boot of his own. Sting is tagged in, and he sends Stevie into the corner with one of his big dropkicks. Sting then whips Stevie Ray into the opposite corner, and goes for the Stinger Splash! He hits not one but two of them. He looks to be setting up for the Scorpion Deathlock, but Adams comes in from behind with the Pearl Harbor to put the kibosh on that. Sting sells the move long enough for Stevie to get back to his feet and send Sting staggering with a couple of right hands. Stevie is able to execute what might be described as a poor belly to back suplex, and then stumbles over to Adams to make the tag. Adams hits a splash of his own onto Sting in the corner. He then sets up for a powerbomb, mocking Nash in the process. Adams is too cocky, however, and is backdropped by Sting before he can make good on the powerbomb! Sting rebounds and even gets the big man up in a tentative scoop slam. He then tags Nash back in. Nash measures Adams in the corner and sqaushes him a couple of times as is his custom. Stevie Ray is making noise in the corner, and so Nash decks him. Adams tries seizing the opening to punch Nash, but Nash blocks the punches and sends Adams down with a couple of his own. Nash hits a reverse DDT (Scorpion Deathdrop) in homage to Sting, and then executes a scary looking Jacknife on Adams. Stevie stumbles in to try and make the save, but Sting cuts him off, and Nash scores the pin!

WINNERS: Sting & Nash at 13:00

STAR RATING: 1/2* – The half a star is for (lackluster) star-power. The match itself was simply a neverending series of badly botched (and potentially dangerous) moves. Given the involvement of Nash, Stevie Ray, and Adams, of course, that comes as no great surprise.

The heels try to recover on the outside. Meanwhile, Nick Patrick raises the hands of the faces. Tenay puts over the victory as an impressive one. Nash extends his hand for Sting to shake, and as we wonder if the Stinger will accept, we run out of time! Tenay finishes with one last hard-sell for Nitro at the Georgia Dome.

Edited by tqwcw

I must say, you've done this very well. You're not trying to change anything drastically, but still trying to improve the storylines. The backstage stuff is very solid. You did pretty good with Flair in this one, but now I move my complaints to The Triad. A couple of sayings were "You Love Me, You Hate Me, You'll Never Forgive Me" and Kanyon-"Bada Bing", Bigelow-"Bada Boom", DDP-"Bada BANG"...just in case you weren't familiar. Other then that, a pretty good show.

Congratulations, this is very well done. Your backstage/creative decision (for lack of a better word) pieces are very well written, and enjoyable to read. The struggles you face are a lot of fun to read. :P I enjoyed your Nitro style better than your Thunder. The main thing that threw me off of Thunder was the blue for the quotes.

None-the-less, a very good start to what should be a very good diary.

Friday, July 2nd, 1999

10:27am

Atlanta, Georgia

Friday morning, I was pissed. I don’t mean to suggest that I was completely dissatisfied with the way things were going: I felt that the upcoming Nitro had the potential to be an exciting show, certainly in comparison to the one we’d put on the week before. And I believed that some of the additions we made to the Bash were going to be of help to the show.

But several things happened at Thunder that made it a rude awakening for me: this was a company riddled with problems from top to bottom. There were three major incidents that had me fuming the day after:

1. The production team had made one of their infamous screw-ups. It was bad enough that our basic production values were so inferior to those of the WWF, but that pointless mistakes were made constantly was upsetting, and extremely detrimental to the company. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the missed Rey Mysterio plancha spot on the monitor backstage. The crew had been made aware that this was something they absolutely could not afford to miss, and -- they went and missed it. The blame, however, did not lie with the camera man, or even with all of the guys in the truck. The party at fault was Craig Leathers, the company’s executive producer who had, incidentally, been part of Bischoff’s inner circle and was notorious for being, well, a bad producer. I realized after the show on Thursday that I was going to have to make my first executive decision, and find a suitable replacement for Leathers.

2. Buff Bagwell showed up late for the show. But that was only the beginning. I might never have known about this if it hadn’t been for agent and utility worker “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton, who mentioned it to me in passing. He said he assumed that Kevin Sullivan had told me about Buff, and then I clarified that, in fact, I hadn’t been filled in. Eaton explained that Bagwell was an hour and a half late to the Civic Center, and that he’d kept Jerry Flynn and Paul Orndorff (the road agent assigned to their match) waiting. As my head agent, it was one of Sullivan’s responsibilities to report this kind of information to me. After Eaton had told me about Bagwell, I realized that Sullivan had absolutely no respect for me, and certainly no desire to see me succeed, and that the changes I needed to make to my agent structure and to my booking team had to be instituted sooner than I thought.

3. Kevin Nash was blatantly no-selling in his match. Granted, it would have been counterproductive to allow Stevie Ray and Brian Adams of all people a considerable amount of offense against the World Champion, but Nash had a storyline to get across, and he worked contrary to that goal. The only way to address that problem would be to confront it head on.

In other words, Nitro was going to be interesting on a number of levels, on-screen and off.

IPB Image

Friday WCW Newswire

-Among the names who will not be returning on Monday’s Nitro is Scott Hall, who remains enrolled in out-patient rehab. There is absolutely no interest in bringing him back until he sorts out his personal issues -- if, indeed, he does.

-Kevin Nash was telling wrestlers backstage at Thunder that management would be “insane” to take the World Heavyweight Title off of him anytime soon...

-There is said to be serious heat on Craig Leathers for the botched shot during the cruiserweight tag team match on Thunder.

-Thunder did a 3.1 composite rating, down .2 points from last week. There is an awareness within WCW that these numbers are not good, especially given the fact that the WWF will be launching Smackdown! on UPN’s Thursday night schedule next month. Beginning next week, WCW will be taping Thunder weekly on Tuesday, and the hope is that the big names who will have worked Nitro the day before will be willing to stay on the road for an extra day to work the Thunder tapings. Matches for WCW Saturday Night will now be done at Nitro in order to cut costs.

-A number of pending deals and promotions planned under the Bischoff regime have been scrapped. A big money offer presented by Bischoff to free agent Shane Douglas has been pulled from the table. Additionally, Dennis Rodman will no longer be working the August pay-per-view. Tentative plans had him booked to face Randy Savage at the event...

-On a related note, the “Road Wild” concept has been ditched. WCW will be bringing back the Clash of the Champions in August, now as a pay-per-view rather than a TBS telecast.

-Despite the firing angle on Thunder, Asya remains under contract although there are no plans to return her to TV in the immediate future. David Flair is also being kept off of television indefinitely, with the storyline justification being the beating Flair took from Kevin Nash during the Nitro match.

-Steve Armstrong is working a tongue-in-cheek “Stone Cold” Steve Austin knock-off gimmick. It is expected that several of WCW’s undercard workers will be repackaged and revamped over the next few weeks.

-The Nitro Girls were apparently upset about not being used on-air on Nitro. They were used to entertain the crowd exclusively during commercial breaks. With Nitro back at two hours rather than three, the belief is that there is no need to slow the momentum of the show with filler.

IPB Image

Saturday, July 3rd, 1999

Taped

Hosted by Scott Hudson and Larry Zbyzsko

Konnan def. Barry Horowitz via submission with the Tequila Sunrise.

Fit Finlay & Dave Taylor (w/Steven Regal) def. Disorderly Conduct when Finlay pinned Tough Tom following a Tombstone Piledriver.

Meng def. Mike Enos with the Tongan Death Grip.

Scotty Riggs def. Prince Iaukea with a Full Nelson Slam.

Lenny & Lodi def. Damian & Ciclope when Lenny hit Ciclope with a Reverse Russian Legsweep, referred to by Hudson as “Over the Rainbow”).

Norman Smiley def. Villano IV (w/Villano V) with the Norman Conquest.

Booker T def. Barry Darsow via pinfall following the Missile Dropkick.

Monday, July 5th, 1999

2:00pm

Georgia Dome

Atlanta, Georgia

I was sitting in my makeshift office backstage at the Georgia Dome looking at the resumes Jamie had pulled together for the beginnings of our search for a new executive producer. The prospects didn’t look so hot; Lamar Pulver had worked in roller derby for fifteen years, and the other “top” candidate, Rick Levinson, was a former AWA employee. How many years had it been since the AWA had done TV? In short, the search was not off to a promising start.

As I let out a sigh, I noticed the stumpy Kevin Sullivan walk by my door. I exhaled. It was time. “Kevin,” I said, successfully grabbing his attention.

He peeked his head inside. “What’s up?” he said.

“I spoke to Bagwell,” I said. “He’s agreed to pay a fine for showing up late last Thursday, and he’s promised that it won’t happen again.”

“Oh,” Sullivan said.

“Is there a reason you didn’t tell tip me off on Bagwell in your Friday morning notes?” I asked.

“I guess it slipped my mind,” Sullivan said. “Is there anything else you wanted to talk about?”

“Yeah,” I said. “I had travel cancel your ticket to Fort Lauderdale.”

“You don’t want me at the pay-per-view?” he asked. “Do you have some pre-tapes set up that you need me to handle?”

“No,” I replied. “No pretapes. I’m taking you off the road, Kevin. I e-mailed Wayne at the Powerplant and told him you’ll be helping him out there starting next week.”

”You’re sending me to the Plant because I forgot to mention Bagwell to you?” he asked, incredulous.

“I’m making some changes,” I said.

Sullivan nodded, trying to maintain his composure, and left. That had not been fun. I stepped outside for some air, and bumped right into Craig Leathers as I walked down the hallway. There was no time like the present.

“Craig,” I said. “Got a minute?”

“Well,” he said, “not really. I’ve got some editing to do.”

“I just need a minute,” I said. “That slip-up on Thunder was unfortunate.”

“Slip-up?”

“Rey. The plancha,” I said.

“Right,” Leathers coughed. “These things happen.”

“They happen,” I agreed, “but they shouldn’t. We’re getting killed right now, and we can’t afford to be making technical mistakes. Craig, we’re going to try some new things with production.”

“I’ve been here for years. I get that you’re new and want to shake things up, but I’m not the problem, here,” he said.

“I recognize that you’ve been with the company for a while, now, but we’ve made the decision to bring in someone new. We’re hoping to have someone in place by Sunday,” I said.

“Unbelievable,” Leathers said, stiffening his jaw and walking off.

I wasn’t making myself any new friends. I continued on, and eventually reached the parking lot. As I was exiting the building, Kevin Nash happened to be entering.

“Hey,” he said.

“How ya doin’, Kevin?” I asked.

“To be honest, I’m confused,” he said. “I saw the booking sheet. I’d kinda assumed I’d be getting promo time tonight.”

“You’ve got a few minutes with Okerlund in the back,” I pointed out.

“The bit with Sid? That’s not the kind of thing I need. I need a good ten to fifteen minutes in the ring without a script.”

“Well, we’re happy with the breakdown as it stands,” I said.

“Are you taking the fuckin’ belt off me, man?” he asked.

“I’m not trying to kill your heat, Kevin,” I replied, noncommittally. “And I’m sure you weren’t trying to kill anyone’s heat when you no-sold on Thunder.”

“You’re not gonna last long here if you don’t choose your battles,” Nash said, making sure to bump into me while walking off.

I had a headache.

IPB Image

Monday, July 5th, 1999

from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA.

Hosted by Tony Schiavone, Bobby “The Brain” Heenan, and “Iron” Mike Tenay

Hour #1

-The show opens with a shot of a black limo pulling into the parking lot.

-The normal show opening is shown.

-Live in the arena, a slightly more impressive pyro display than is usual goes off, and the announcers kick off the program.

Schiavone: World Championship Wrestling has come home! Six days away from the summer tradition, the Bash at the Beach, we are live at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, and what an evening we have ahead of us, Mike Tenay!

Tenay: Tony, we are in the heartland of WCW and as we begin the final countdown to Sunday’s Bash, we’re also buckling down for an explosive edition of Nitro, and Bobby Heenan, I’m extremely curious to know who it is that just pulled into the arena in that black limousine.

Heenan: Well, Tenay, we’ve been hearing since last week that there would be some shocking faces here tonight, and my man in the back, Woody, has stumbled onto some huge leads. Massive leads, Schiavone.

Schiavone: I’m sure he has, Brain, and fans, in addition, tonight -- are you ready for this? One on one as we prepare for Sunday’s pay-per-view, it will be Sting taking on “The Macho Man” Randy Savage in our main event. You better believe we’re going to batten down the hatches for that one. Plus, we learned at WCW Thunder last Thursday in Monroe, Louisiana that Ric Flair had news about this Sunday’s monumental tag team main event -- news that would dramatically alter the face of the Bash at the Beach. That news will be revealed tonight. Anything could happen here, tonight, on Nitro, and we’re ready to kick things off with a bang!

(1) The Triad vs. Chris Benoit, Perry Saturn, & Booker T

The heels enter to DDP’s music. Booker’s entrance follows, and finally, his partners enter together to Benoit’s music. Page and Benoit have a bit of a stare down before the match gets underway, and the announcers recap the feud-within-a-feud that has developed between them. Kanyon and Booker start things off. After an exchange of offense between the two men, Kanyon takes time out to yell at the chanting fans, allowing Booker to level Kanyon with a Harlem Sidekick. Taken down a peg, Kanyon tags in Bigelow. At one point, Booker catches Bam Bam’s boot after an attempted kick, but Bam Bam is able to come up with an Enziguri to take Booker down. He punishes Booker with a slam and a legdrop. A minute or so later, Bam Bam charges at Booker, who counters with a desperation spinebuster on the big man. Booker makes the tag to Saturn, who starts things off with a splash on Bigelow and a near-fall. Soon, Saturn goes for an ambitious T-Bone suplex on Bam Bam, but Bigelow is too pick, and ends up picking Saturn up and dropping him on the throat on the top rope. Bigelow tags in DDP, who stomps away at Saturn and then gets a two count after a belly-to-belly. Saturn ducks a clothesline a minute later and comes up with a dropkick. He whips Page into the corner and hits a series of high and low kicks. Finally, Page walks right into the standing side kick, and Saturn makes the tag to Benoit! Benoit comes at Page, who immediately bails to the outside. Kanyon and Bigelow join Page in attacking Benoit down by the ring steps. Booker and Saturn then rush over to even the sides. Page whips Benoit hard into the steel guardrail, and we go to break with the match in progress.

(Commercial break.)

Nick Patrick has been able to restore order during the break, and Page has Benoit in a painful-looking chinlock in the ring. Back up on their feet, Page whips Benoit into the corner but Benoit turns the tables and soon hits several of his brutal knife-edge chops on Page. Page comes at Benoit with a clothesline, but Benoit ducks and hits and belly to back. Benoit gets the two count. Benoit goes off the ropes but Page trips him with a drop toe hold. Page drops an elbow on the back of Benoit, and then makes the tag to Bigelow. Bigelow plants Benoit with a slam and then flattens him with a splash. Benoit, ever the fighter, kicks out at two. Bigelow sets Benoit up for a vertical suplex, but Benoit struggles out of the attempted move, gets momentum off the ropes, and takes Bigelow off his feet with a hooked clothesline. Booker gets the tag, sends Bigelow into the ropes, and hits the double forearm shot. He then plays to the crowd. He moves toward Bigelow, who surprises Booker with an overhead suplex. Bigelow tags in Kanyon, who sits atop Booker’s shoulders as he tries to get to his feet, and then drives Booker’s head back down onto the mat. Kanyon rolls Booker over and gets the two count. Kanyon sends Booker into the ropes, but Booker kicks Kanyon in the midsection and nails the scissors kick. He sets up for the Harlem Sidekick, but Kanyon has scouted the move and avoids it; Booker ends up crotching himself on the top rope. As Booker is seated on the mat, Kanyon hits a vicious kick right to the jaw. With both men then on their feet half a minute later, Kanyon sets up for the Flatliner, but Booker locks on a cobra clutch out of nowhere and is able to hit a cobra clutch slam. Booker takes advantage of the opportunity to tag in Benoit, who grabs Kanyon from behind before Kanyon can tag out. Benoit hits three rolling German suplexes. Frustrated, DDP goes to the outside to get a chair and Saturn, aware of this, foils the attempt and brawls with him in the aisle. Booker and Bigelow get into it at the same time. Meanwhile, Benoit continues to wear down Kanyon, hitting a snap suplex. He climbs up top, preparing for the headbutt, but then notices that, in the aisle, the crazed Page has put Saturn in his own version of the Crippler Crossface! The announcers note that Page is clearly playing mindgames with Benoit. Benoit climbs down from the top rope and yells at Page from the ring. This allows Kanyon, still in pain, to crawl over, grab Benoit by the tights from behind, and get the three count after a school-boy roll-up!

After Patrick raises his arm in victory, Kanyon bails to the outside and joins Page and Bigelow as they back up the aisle, smiling over their win with their tag team titles. Booker and the recovering Saturn join the furious Benoit in the ring to take stock of what happened. Schiavone notes that Benoit will have his shot at revenge this Sunday at the Bash at the Beach alongside Saturn...

WINNERS: The Triad at ~15:00

STAR RATING: **1/2. Strong opener.

-Changing gears, we take a dramatic look at what went down between Kevin Nash and Randy Savage on last week’s show, and then how both men responded on Thunder.

-After the video package has been shown, we go to “Mean” Gene Okerlund at mid-ring.

Okerlund: We are live at the Georgia Dome, ladies and gentlemen, and boy -- there is tension between “The Macho Man” Randy Savage and the World Heavyweight Champion, “Big Sexy” Kevin Nash, to say the least. At the Bash at the Beach, it will be Savage and his associate, Sid Vicious, taking on the team of Nash and Sting, who, of course, we saw in action this past Thursday on Thunder. We anxiously await word from the “Nature Boy” Ric Flair on that big announcement, the big news that he has in store for those four men, but in addition to all of that, we’ve got Savage and Sting going one-on-one here tonight in Atlanta. With that in mind, folks, please welcome my guest at this time, “The Macho Man” Randy Savage!

Savage heads to the ring flanked by Gorgeous George, Madusa, and Miss Madness. Savage is looking determined as ever, and stares long and hard into the camera when he arrives in the ring.

Okerlund: A big week ahead of you, sir. Your thoughts as you prepare for Sting tonight, and Sting and Kevin Nash on Sunday.

Savage: My thoughts? You want my thoughts, Gene? My thoughts are that Kevin Nash and Sting about to find out why the Madness is lethal; oh, yeah. I know that Sting saw what I did to Kevin Nash last week in this ring, and Sting, I want you to realize that as far as I’m concerned, you deserve the same treatment from the Macho Man. I came here tonight to take care of you, Sting, and I’m going to the Bash at the Beach in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday to take care of you, Kevin Nash. That concussion I gave you last week? The massive laceration on your forehead? Consider that a preview, brother. But it’s time to get some settled, right here and right now. The fact of the matter is that Randy Savage possesses the most dangerous finishing maneuver in pro wrestling today.

Okerlund: The top rope elbow? You mean the move that has been banned by the President of World Championship Wrestling, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair.

Savage: That’s exactly what I’m talking about, Okerlund. Ric Flair, it’s no secret that you don’t like me, and it’s no secret that I can’t stand the sight of you, either, brother. You took away the elbowdrop because I what it did to your little stooge, Charles Robinson, but now, the circumstances have changed, brother. I’ve got Kevin Nash in my sights, and I have absolutely no intention of holding back. So I want you to come out here and settle this thing, once and for all.

Savage waits and gets a response -- in the form of the unmistakable music of Arn Anderson! Double A heads to the ring, and Savage is not exactly thrilled to see him. Anderson reaches the ring and stands opposite Savage with Okerlund between them.

Okerlund: This is an unexpected appearance, Arn Anderson.

Anderson: Mean Gene, Ric Flair is a very busy man. He’s got a lot on his mind in the back, and he’s asked me to come out and address Randy Savage’s concerns.

Savage: Don’t jerk me around, Anderson. That would be a real mistake; oh, yeah.

Anderson: Relax, Randy. I’m not out here to jerk you around. But I do want to refresh your memory: that elbow drop of yours? Last time you used it, you collapsed a man’s lung.

Savage: I haven’t forgotten, brother.

Anderson: Reinstating the elbow drop would be an unbelievably reckless and irresponsible thing to do, Randy. For Ric Flair to approve the move would be for him to put your opponents’ health -- your opponents’ lives -- in jeopardy. Do you realize that?

Savage: What are you tryin’ to tell me?

Anderson: I’m telling you that Ric Flair has reached a decision about the elbow drop, Savage. He’s decided -- he’s decided that Kevin Nash and Sting can go straight to hell, and that the elbow drop is not only legal again, it’s encouraged!

A sadistic smile comes over the face of Savage as Okerlund reacts in disgust.

Okerlund: Wait just a minute, Arn Anderson. You’re saying that Ric Flair knows the risks involved in okaying the use of the flying elbow smash, and he’s going ahead and approving the move, anyway? I don’t believe it!

Anderson: Believe it, Gene. And if you don’t like it, that’s tough.

Suddenly, the camera pans to the aisle; JJ Dillon is on his way to the ring! The crowd in the ring is confused.

Okerlund: James J. Dillon, the chairman of the Executive Committee, has arrived, and JJ, what could possibly bring you out here unannounced like this?

Savage grabs the mic before JJ can answer.

Savage: You son-of-a...! If you try to screw with me, brother, I--

Dillon: Randy, I’m not out here to screw with you, but there is something you, Ric Flair, and everyone else backstage, in this arena, and watching at home should know. First of all, I want to make it clear that the Executive Committee does not support Ric Flair’s decision to reinstate the elbow drop. Furthermore, we were horrified by what happened last week after Kevin Nash’s match with David Flair. The carnage that took place in this ring was unacceptable, and Randy Savage, it was orchestrated first and foremost by you.

Savage: Are you gonna try to suspend me, brother? Is that what this is?

Dillon: A lot of fans are expecting to see a main event involving you here tonight, and in six days at the Bash at the Beach. So it wouldn’t be right to suspend you, Savage, but it is my responsibility to see to it that when you and Sting go one on one tonight, that we don’t witness a repeat of what happened last Monday night. And so, with that in mind, I’ve brought in a special guest referee for this evening’s main event.

Savage and Anderson both look less than thrilled.

Okerlund: A special guest referee?

Dillon: A very special referee, Gene. A man who undoubtedly has the integrity, impartiality, and stature to ensure that Sting vs. Savage will be a clean match. A man who the fans can count on.

Okerlund: Well, don’t keep us in suspense, JJ! Who’s going to call this match tonight?

Dillon: It’s a man we haven’t seen in a while. A man who feels right at home here in the Georgia Dome. Gene, I’m talking about the man. I’m talking about Goldberg!

Okerlund’s eyes widen. A furious Savage kicks the ropes in his anger. Anderson folds his arms.

Dillon: Needless to say, Mr. Savage, if you try to get away with anything here tonight, I’ve got a feeling Goldberg will have something to say -- or better yet, something to do about it.

Okerlund: Savage vs. Sting with Goldberg as the special guest referee at the Georgia Dome. Ladies and gentlemen, it doesn’t get any bigger than that! We’re only just getting started live on Monday Nitro!

(Commercial break.)

-We come back to a shot backstage of Chastity (wearing a skirt of negligible length) having a drink at a water fountain. Jimmy Hart walks up with the First Family (Hugh Morrus, The Barbarian, and Jerry Flynn) in tow. Chastity is startled when she turns around and sees them.

Chastity: It’s not polite to stare.

Jimmy Hart: You’ll have to excuse the boys, Chastity. They’re just enjoying the view.

Chastity: Well, they’d better take a good look, because this is as close as they’re gonna get.

Hart: You know, Hugh Morrus, in particular, has got a really voracious appetite.

Hugh Morrus licks his lips.

Chastity (holding her own): Yeah. He could stand to lose a few pounds, couldn’t he?

Chastity backs away, repulsed by the First Family...

-We go back to the announcers.

Schiavone: An eventful edition of WCW Monday Nitro continues live from the Georgia Dome, and we just saw the First Family making eyes at Chastity backstage -- I can’t imagine that Hak is going to be overly enthusiastic about that, but Bobby Heenan, we are still reeling from the announcement by JJ Dillon: Sting vs. Randy Savage tonight, with Goldberg as the special guest referee!

Heenan: ‘Da man is back tonight, Schiavone. Sting, Savage, and Goldberg together in one ring; we could be looking at chaos tonight.

Tenay: But Bobby, Tony; I’ve got to wonder if it is the special guest referee, Goldberg, who is sitting in that black limousine out back, or if it’s someone else entirely. The internet has been abuzz all weekend with speculation about who could show up here tonight as we count down to the Bash at the Beach.

Schiavone: Indeed it has, Mike, and obviously, we are watching that very closely. Plus, a major decision announced by “Double A” Arn Anderson on behalf of the President, Ric Flair -- that crippling Flying Elbow Drop patented by the “Macho Man” Randy Savage has been reinstated. And on top of that, we have yet to hear the big news Flair has about Sunday’s tag team main event between Sting & Nash and Savage & Sid. Right now, it’s time to go back to the ring...

(2) Scott Norton (w/Stevie Ray) vs. Meng

As Stevie Ray leads Norton to the ring, the announcers put over the fact that Stevie Ray, as leader of what’s left of the nWo Black & White, is trying to “revitalize” the group. This is not a pretty match, with Norton and Meng exchanging blows and no-selling many of them. The formidable Norton gets a bit overzealous and is unable to get the monster Meng up for a slam. Meng sends Norton down soon after with a big boot. Stevie Ray decides it’s time to intervene, and gets up on the apron to hit Meng with his trusty slapjack. Meng ducks, however, and Stevie ends up decking the already-groggy Norton! Norton very slowly gets to his feet afterward, but Meng is waiting for him and slaps on the devastating Tongan Death Grip, scoring the pin on Norton thanks, in large part, to Stevie Ray!

After the match, Norton and Stevie Ray exchange angry words...

WINNER: Meng at ~4:00

STAR RATING: DUD. Truly horrific.

(Commercial break.)

-Backstage, Buff Bagwell finds suitably dressed Torrie Wilson pacing in a hallway.

Bagwell: Torrie. Wow; you know, I’m surprised to see you here tonight.

Torrie (annoyed): Why is that?

Bagwell: Well, I mean, everybody knows that your boyfriend’s laid up. He got his ass kicked last week.

Torrie: I’m here to do a photoshoot for WCW.com. And I plan to be at the Bash at the Beach on Sunday, too.

Bagwell: Oh, yeah?

Torrie: Yeah. I can’t wait to see what happens to Kevin Nash. But you shouldn’t be worrying about me -- you should be worried about your match with Roddy Piper.

Bagwell: Thanks for the advice, Torrie. I appreciate it.

Bagwell winks at Torrie before walking off.

(3) Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Disco Inferno

Morrus cuts short Disco’s pre-match dance by attacking him, and controls the bout in the early going. The announcers take the time to promote both men’s matches for Sunday at the Bash. A minute or two in, Morrus has Disco set up for a scoop slam, but Disco is able to wiggle his way into a small package for the two count. Morrus fires back with a stiff clothesline, a vertical suplex, and a press slam. Morrus hits a reverse neckbreaker and gets a two count. Disco then blocks another clothesline attempt and hits Hugh with a back elbow. He follows up with a swinging neckbreaker and a forearm drop for the top for another near-fall. Morrus catches Disco as he attempts a crossbody block; Morrus tosses Disco across the ring with an overhead slam. Disco stumbles out of the corner, and Morrus throws a dropkick, impressive given his size. Disco collapses in the middle of the ring, and Morrus goes up top for the No Laughing Matter! Just as he is about to hit the move, however, Hak runs in from the crowd and takes a vicious swing at Morrus’s back on the top rope with the kendo stick. Morrus falls into the ring. As Hak continues the assault, Billy Silverman opts the throw the match out.

Disco rolls out of the ring, and then First Family members Barbarian and Jerry Flynn hit the ring to attack Hak. Hak has clearly taken exception to the Family’s targeting of Chastity in order to get to him as he and Morrus prepare for a singles match at Sunday’s PPV. Hak succumbs to the three-on-one attack in the middle of the ring with Jimmy Hart directing traffic. Schiavone notes that this must all have been part of Hart’s master plan.

WINNER: No Contest at ~6:30

STAR RATING: 1/2*. Really not much to this.

-Out back, the door to the limo opens, and out steps Bret “The Hitman” Hart! Schiavone nearly has a heart attack as we cut to commercial.

(Commercial break.)

-Backstage, Gene Okerlund is with Disco Inferno.

Okerlund: You’ve requested a moment of microphone time, Disco Inferno. What is it that you need so badly to get off your chest? Don’t you realize that we’re all on pins and needles after seeing Bret “The Hitman” Hart step out of that limousine?

Disco: Well, the Excellence of Execution is just going to have to wait, Eugene. We are six days away from the epic battle that is to come at the Bash at the Beach.

Okerlund: You mean, the big tag team main event?

Disco: I’m not talking about the tag team match! I’m talking about my match -- the Disco Inferno one on one with the World Television Champion, Rick Steiner. Haven’t you seen it on the marquee?

Okerlund: You’ll have to forgive me; I seem to have missed that.

Disco: Well, you stand corrected. I just hope everyone absorbed the fact that the 350 pound wrecking ball, Hugh Morrus, couldn’t even beat me. The Dog Faced Gremlin obviously doesn’t have a prayer.

Okerlund: You’re right on one count; Hugh Morrus did not defeat you tonight, but there were extenuating circumstances involved--

Disco: Shut up, Gene! What? Are you on Jimmy Hart’s payroll, or something? Making excuses for Morrus? He couldn’t defeat me tonight, and Steiner will have the same problem at the Bash. You are looking at your next World Television Champion.

Hour #2

-Back in the arena, we go from an underwhelming Disco Inferno promo to a big moment as the music of Bret “The Hitman” Hart begins! The Hitman takes a relatively slow walk to the ring in his street clothes, taking in and appreciating the respectful ovation from the crowd. The announcers note that we have not seen Bret since before the tragic death of his brother Owen. Once he reaches the ring, Bret takes a few more seconds to absorb the touching pop he’s received. Finally, he begins speaking.

Hart: Thank you. Thank you. That means more than you know. I have to admit that I didn’t plan on being here tonight at the Georgia Dome. But I got a call from the office, and they extended me an invitation. They said it was up to me. That if I wanted it, I could come here tonight, stand in this ring, and have an open forum. And I thought about it. I wasn’t sure about it. As a matter of fact, it would have been a lot easier for me to say no -- for me to stay right where I was. To stay quiet. But in the end, I decided that I owed it to myself, I owed it to all of you, and I owed it to my brother to show up here tonight. You see, I’ve only known one other person in my lifetime that loved wrestling more than I do, and that’s my brother, Owen. Growing up, we had our ups and downs. Just ask our brothers and sisters -- and we’ve got plenty of them. We had our clashes because, when you come right down to it, we’re a lot alike. But despite the fact that we shared a passion for what we do and that we grow up together in the dungeon, there were plenty of things that set us apart, too. I only wish I could be half the man that Owen was -- the be the kind of husband, father, brother, and friend that he was. It goes without saying that his death was senseless and horrifying, but I didn’t come out here tonight to get into all of that. I came here to celebrate Owen’s life, to tell all of his fans how much their support meant to him. That said, when I walked into this arena tonight, something felt different. This business has coursed through my veins all my life, and throughout my whole career, every time I walked into an arena, whether it was back home in Stampede Wrestling or in Madison Square Garden, I felt this adrenaline rush -- this sense of excitement and purpose. I experienced that feeling every night I spend in the business, until now. I didn’t feel it tonight, and I’m not sure if I’ll ever feel it again. I don’t know where I’m going to be in six months. I don’t know what the future holds for me anymore, but regardless, I wanted to say thank you. Thank you to the fans, and thank you to Owen.

(Commercial break.)

(4) Brad Armstrong vs. Eddie Guerrero (w/Chris Jericho)

Jericho joined the announcers for commentary during the match and put over the Crusade Against Tyranny. He continued to hype up himself as the leader of the effort rather than framing himself and Eddie as equals. Armstrong and Guerrero put on somewhat of a technical clinic; Tenay notes that Brad Armstrong is more determined than ever to put an end to the famed Armstrong Curse. Indeed, at 2:00, after hitting a couple of Japanese Armdrags, he executes a Falcon Arrow for the two count. Jericho writes off the near-fall as a fluke. Eddie regains control by countering a suplex attempt and dropping Armstrong by the midsection on the top rope. Eddie then kicks away heelishly at Armstrong, and slaps him around for a moment. Eddie ties Armstrong up in a painful abdominal stretch. Armstrong mounts a comeback after avoiding a dropkick; he comes out of nowhere with a frankensteiner, and then goes up top. Eddie, ring general that he is, is able to shake the top rope and crotch Armstrong on the top turnbuckle. Eddie then hits a superplex and follows up with the Frog Splash for the pin and win.

WINNER: Guerrero at ~8:00

STAR RATING: **1/2. No serious flaws, but no superlatives to make it stand out, either.

Chris Jericho joins Eddie in the ring; they celebrate as though Eddie has accomplished a monumental feat. Jericho secures a couple of mics from David Penzer.

Jericho: Ladies and gents, let’s give a round of applause to Señor Eddie Guerrero! The Armstrong curse remains in tact. Do you see all the Jerichoholics in this crowd tonight, Eddie? They love me. They really, really love me.

Guerrero: I know it, bro. They do. But, I gotta tell you, I don’t think the people realize what you and I are up against in WCW.

Jericho: You mean, you don’t think they know that the conspiracy runs all the way to the very top of the Time-Warner corporate ladder?

Guerrero: The executives -- they fear us, man. We’re not the chosen ones, the golden boys. So anything we want, we have to grab by the cajones and take.

Jericho: You’re right, Eddie. The Crusade Against Tyranny must continue, and so being the bad mama jama that I am, I am going to demand the presence of the President of WCW at this time. Ric Flair, we’ve waited long enough to be booked in the battle royal for the US Heavyweight Title at the Bash at the Beach. We want satisfaction. We want it now!

Momentarily, Ric Flair’s music begins and the Nature Boy walks down the aisle. Once in the ring, Flair takes a minute to look over Jericho and Guerrero and then addresses them.

Flair: First of all, Eddie, congratulations on your victory. The two of you are on a roll, aren’t you? But there’s something else I’ve noticed, too. I’ve noticed that you guys are developing a habit of calling me out here for no good reason.

Jericho: Oh, we’ve got good reason this time, Mr. Flair. The world heard what you had to say last Thursday on Thunder -- you want the next US Heavyweight Champion to be worthy of holding the title, and so naturally, my associate and I are operating under the assumption that we will be included in Sunday night’s monumental battle royal. But it’s time for you to make the official confirmation.

Flair: You want the official confirmation? Fine. Here’s the official confirmation. Sunday night, in the battle royal for the vacant United States Heavyweight Championship, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero will participate as entrants -- with eight other men.

Guerrero: And who are they, Mr. President? Who are the Ayatollah of Rock ‘n Rolla and myself going to toss out of this ring on Sunday night?

Flair: You want to know who else is involved? All right; fine. I’ll let you know who you’re up against. First: the baddest sucka ever to compete in World Championship Wrestling; I’m talking about...

Jericho (interrupting): Tooker B?! Tooker B is going to be part of my battle royal?

Flair: That’s right, Jericho, and for all we know, he could walk out of Fort Lauderdale with the US Heavyweight Title. But there’s more where that came from. Also competing in the battle royal will be Booker T’s brother, and the leader of the nWo Black & White, Stevie Ray!

Guerrero: Mr. Fruity Booty?

Flair: It’s “Fruit Booty,” Guerrero, and yes, he will be in the battle royal. Here’s another one you’ll like, Jericho: Dean Malenko will be part of the match.

Jericho: What? What did Stinko Malenko do to qualify?

Flair: Malenko’s in, Jericho, whether you like it or not. And so is the Innovator of Offense himself, Kanyon!

Guerrero: Well, you know what, Mr. Flair? Eddie Guerrero is most definitely better than Kanyon!

Flair: That’s funny, Eddie; I don’t remember asking. But let’s stay focused, here. Another entrant in the battle royal: the man whose hands, feet, and lips are all registered as lethal weapons -- The Cat!

Jericho: I could beat Ernest Miller with two hands tied behind my back! One hand, at the very least!

Flair: I’ll bet you could. And then there’s the master of the Regal Stretch, Steven bloody Regal himself. And how to you guys feel about The Monster? What about Meng?

Jericho and Guerrero look horrified.

Flair: You crusaders have got a lot to look forward to, don’t you?

Guerrero: Wait a second. You only named seven others guys.

Jericho: Yeah! Who’s the tenth, Flair? Don’t hold out on us!

Flair: Oh, that’s right; the tenth. Well, unfortunately, there are still some negotiations taking place, still some paperwork to push through, and so I am unable to reveal the tenth contender for the US Heavyweight Title at this time. I regret that; I really do.

Jericho: But this isn’t far! You were supposed to name all ten!

Guerrero: Ted Turner put you up to this, didn’t he?

Flair: You’re both starting to bore me. Go away. That’s it; goodbye.

Jericho and Guerrero, annoyed, begin to make their retreat.

Flair: Besides, it’s time to switch gears. Now that we’ve got the battle royal business taken care of, it’s time to settle the not-so-small matter of the tag team main event at the Bash at the Beach. That’s right; ever since word leaked out at the end of last week’s Thunder that the Nature Boy had another surprise in store for Kevin Nash, my people have fielded nonstop phone calls and emails demanding to know what evil plans have I have up my sleeve for the World Heavyweight Champion. The fact of the matter is that I do have an announcement to make about Sunday’s pay-per-view, but it’s a decision I’ve made as a professional, purely and simply. You see, I looked at the final card for the Bash at the Beach and, to me, it looked pretty good. We’ve got heavyweight matches, cruiserweight matches, hardcore matches, tag team matches, title matches, big names -- we’ve got the works. We’ve got everything. Everything except a World Heavyweight Title defense. I know what all of you linear thinkers out there are saying in your heads. You’re saying, “there can’t be a World Title match, because the World Champion is involved in a tag team match.” But as any of my former opponents can attest to, the Nature Boy is the most creative problem solver in the business, and so I sat down to put my critical thinking skills to use. It didn’t take long for me to realize that the World Heavyweight Title could be defended -- in the big, marquee main event tag team match. (Pause for reaction). That’s right. Because I’ve decided that the winner of that tag team match on Sunday -- the man who scores the pinfall or submission -- will walk out of the arena that night carrying the WCW World Heavyweight Title. Kevin Nash, your title will be on the line, against your opponents Randy Savage with his lethal Flying Elbow Drop and Sid Vicious with his mile high powerbomb, and even against your own tag team partner Sting with the Scorpion Deathlock. You’d better say your prayers, my friend, because it will take nothing short of an act of God for you to leave the Bash at the Beach with my World Title belt. Whoo!

Flair remains in the ring momentarily, extremely satisfied, while the announcers put over his bombshell.

(Commercial break).

-We see a shot of Goldberg’s dressing room door in the back as camera crews hope to catch a glimpse of him.

-Elsewhere, Mean Gene is with Kevin Nash.

Okerlund: Ladies and gentlemen, I am backstage with Kevin Nash, the Heavyweight Champion of the World, and Big Sexy, what is your reaction to Ric Flair’s stunning announcement regarding the Bash at the Beach?

Nash: It’s not that complicated, Mean Gene. Flair is pulling out all the stops to get the World Heavyweight Title off from around my waste, and that’s exactly what he’s going to have to do if he wants to see me lose this belt. He can put me up against the entire locker room, and that won’t change the fact that I’m going do whatever it takes to remain World Heavyweight Champion.

Okerlund: But let’s not gloss over the fact that you’ll be in the ring with the unstable Randy Savage, the gargantuan Sid Vicious, and the Franchise, Sting on Sunday night--

Okerlund’s statement is interrupted when Sid steps into the frame. He smiles at Nash, and then looks at the World Heavyweight Title.

Nash: There something you want, big man?

Sid: I don’t know, Kev. I just can’t help but notice that gold just isn’t your color. We’ll have to do something about that.

Sid laughs maniacally while Nash clutches his title belt.

(5) Blitzkrieg vs. Psicosis

As both wrestlers enter, the announcers recap the problems Chavo has had with both Psicosis and Hector Garza since securing the number one contendorship to the Cruiserweight Title, and hype the Psicosis-Chavo match that was added to the Bash late last week. Psicosis and the rookie Blitzkrieg have an entertaining spotfest to bring the crowd back up after a lengthy non-wrestling segment. Blitz surprises Psicosis early on with his unique style of acrobatic offense; he makes pin attempts following a senton splash, a sunset flip, and a leaping implant DDT. Psicosis regains control after playing possum and causing Blitzkrieg to miss a moonsault. At this point, Chavo Guerrero comes out to the entrance to scout the match. Psicosis downs Blitzkrieg with a tilt-a-whirl slam and then ties him up in a surfboard. After breaking the hold, Psicosis sets Blitzkrieg up with an Irish Whip but Blitz reverses and throws a sudden dropkick that sends Psicosis through the ropes to the floor; Blitzkrieg follows up with a stunning pescado! They battle outside the ring for several seconds. Blitzkrieg attempts a superkick but Psicosis avoids it, and Blitz ends up hurting his ankle on the steel guardrail. Psicosis, not to be outdone, heads up to the ring apron and performs a running suicide dive that connects just as Blitzkrieg is getting to his feet again. Chavo appears impressed. After regaining some strength, Psicosis tosses Blitzkrieg back in the ring and quickly punishes him with a baseball slide dropkick once he, himself, is back inside. Psicosis sets Blitzkrieg up for a German Suplex but Blitzkrieg rolls through into a pinning combination and gets two! Psicosis retaliates with a back kick. Psicosis plants Blitzkrieg with a German Suplex, and then goes up top and connects with the Guillotine Legdrop for the pin and win.

Following the match, Chavo applauds Psicosis’s impressive display from the ramp, and the two men stare down...

WINNER: Psicosis at ~7:00

STAR RATING: **3/4. Engaging action.

-Backstage, Curt Hennig chats with the West Texas Rednecks as he awaits his match.

Hennig: But seriously, guys; is it even legal for Billy Kidman to be wrestling? He isn’t 18 yet, is he?

The Rednecks laugh.

Duncum: It’s not his age you should be worried about, buddy; it’s his height. He’s so short, I’m not even sure you’ll be able to reach down to put him in the Hennigplex!

More laughing.

Barry Windham (sarcastic): Now, wait, ya’ll. Maybe we shouldn’t joke. The guy is a former Cruiserweight Champion.

Hennig: That’s a good point, Windham. It’ll take me at least two minutes to pin him.

All four men chuckle once more...

(Commercial break.)

-Backstage, Mean Gene is with The Cat.

Okerlund: All right, Cat. We’ve been told you have an announcement to make about WCW Thunder in three days as we count down to the Bash at the Beach.

Cat: Yeah, that’s right, old man. As you know, I am the greatest, and I have been included in Sunday’s battle royal for the US Heavyweight Title.

Okerlund: That’s right. I daresay someone has called your mama.

Cat shoots a look at Okerlund.

Cat: You just shut up and listen. I don’t agree with Chris Jericho or Eddie Guerrero on a lot of things, but I’m with then on this “tenth man” that Ric Flair was talking about earlier. There shouldn’t be any mysteries involved in this US Title match at the Bash at the Beach. Now, everybody knows that I’ve got connections in the back -- lots of them. And so Thursday night, backstage at Thunder, I intend to call in a few favors and find out who this mystery entrant in the battle royal is. He’ll be exposed for all the world to see, one way or another. Now get that camera out of my face before I whup somebody.

(6) Curt Hennig vs. Billy Kidman

“Good Old Boys,” the West Texas Rednecks original, brings out the confident Curt Hennig; the announcers are quick to point out that he could go on to regret his presumption of victory. Kidman enters, clearly intending to put up a fight. In the ring, Hennig spits his trademark gum out in Kidman’s face; the two men tie up, and Hennig uses his size advantage to shove Kidman onto his back. Kidman gets back to his feet quickly and hits a forearm shot that sends Hennig staggering against the ropes. Kidman with the Irish whip; it’s reversed by Hennig, who sends Kidman twisting through the air down to the mat with a stiff clothesline. Hennig whips Kidman into the ropes where he uses chops and then a blatant choke to wear him down. Hennig takes Kidman off his feet with a double leg sweep. He hits a simple knee drop, and covers for two. Hennig is incensed that Kidman has dared kick out, and goes for a sloppy elbow drop that Kidman avoids. Kidman mounts an offensive with a dropkick, a legdrop, and a clothesline from the second rope. Kidman gets a 1.5 count. Hennig bails to the outside to stall. Kidman gives chase, but runs right into a clothesline. Hennig hits some stiff kicks on the outside and throws Kidman back in the ring. Hennig easily hits a hanging vertical suplex and uses the ropes for leverage in a pin attempt that only gets to two. Hennig argues with Nick Patrick. He sends Kidman into the ropes and hits him with an ugly knee lift. Hennig then makes the all-too-common mistake of attempting to powerbomb Kidman; Kidman comes out with his usual facejam counter! Kidman rallies the crowd and goes off the top rope with an elbow right to Hennig’s groin. Hennig does a good job of selling the injury. Kidman gets a two count. Hennig pulls himself to a seated position in the corner; Kidman comes at him, and Hennig grabs Kidman by the tights and pulls him face first onto the turnbuckle. This allows Kidman to get to his feet and drop Kidman on the back of his neck with a belly to back suplex. Hennig ties Kidman up in an uncomfortable-looking armbar, but Kidman hulks up with the help of the crowd and fires away at Hennig with some right hands. He then grabs the back of Hennig’s head and takes him down with a Jerichoesque bulldog for the two count. Hennig staggers to his feet but Kidman stays on the offensive with a snapmere and short elbow drop. Kidman signals for the Shooting Star Press. The Windhams then stalk to ringside. While Barry distracts Nick Patrick, Kendall grabs a chair and waffles Kidman on the back with it as Kidman tries setting himself up on the top rope. Kidman goes crashing down to the mat. Hennig slowly recovers, drops a knee on Kidman, and then picks him up and executes the Hennigplex to secure the victory.

The Windhams join Hennig in the ring and begin cheapshotting Kidman. Bobby Duncum, Jr. comes in and takes part in the beatdown as well. Finally Konnan, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Swoll run in and the two factions brawl.

WINNER: Hennig at ~9:30

STAR RATING: ***. The interference was uninspired and it would have been nice to see Kidman go over, but this was solid build-up to an otherwise unappealing PPV match and featured credible wrestling.

(Commercial break.)

-Thunder highlight: Ric Flair books Piper vs. Bagwell for the Bash.

-“Rowdy” Roddy Piper makes his way to the ring in full regalia. He grabs a mic as he steps into the ring and then addresses the crowd.

Piper: I gotta tell ya; it’s good to be in Atlanta. It’s good to be in Atlanta even though it’s been a terrible year for the Braves. (Pauses for cheap heat.) And the Falcons. (Pauses for more cheap heat.) And the Hawks. (Pauses once more.) Was it something I said? On second thought, I don’t give a damn if you people want to boo me out of the building, because I’m not going anywhere until I’m good and ready! Last week, my old friend Ric Flair decided to give me an early Christmas present, and boy, do I ever owe him. He’s given me a one on one match at the Bash at the Beach. It’s a match against that kid -- you know, the one who’s been buggin’ me for the past few weeks? The one I can’t wait to get my hands on? Only problem is, I-- I seem to have forgotten his name. (The crowd begins chanting). Oh! Oh, that’s right! It’s Buff Bagwell. Now I remember. Buff Bagwell. He’s the guy I reached out to a couple of weeks ago. The guy I challenged to pick up the ball and run with it. He’s one of those young guys who’s convinced himself that he’s been “held back.” So I told him -- I told him that if he could prove himself, that I’d support him. I was fully prepared to bestow on him the benefits of my decades of rich experience in this business, but what did Buff Bagwell do? He dropped the ball. He showed me that he’s nothin’ more than dumbells and diet supplements. You see, Buff, what you’ve got to realize is that it’s not because you’re “the stuff” that you’ve got a job. You’ve got a job because people like me, people like Ric Flair, made this business. We gave you a future. We gave Chris Benoit and Booker T futures. We gave all of the oily, clean-shaven punks in the back a future. What I should say is that we gave you the potential for a future. But each and every single one of you is treading water, and there is no worse offender than you, Buff Bagwell. It takes more than a strut and a pair of hot sunglasses to make a legend in this business. I paid my dues. I damn near worked myself to death in dank, half-filled bars in Portland. I bled, I sweat, I cried; hell, I gave up my hips to make a career for myself. You say Rick Steiner broke your neck? You say you’ve made a miraculous comeback? You say you’re the future? I say you’re full of [censored]. I say you’re nothing but pretty packaging, Buff, and at the Bash at the Beach, your con is up. I’m going to expose you for the--

Piper is interrupted by the sounds of “Buff Daddy,” and Bagwell makes his way to the top of the ramp! Buff allows his initial pop to fade and then speaks.

Bagwell: Wow. Wow, Hot Rod. You really don’t like me, do you?

Piper: I’ll tell you what, Buff; I like you even less now than I did two minutes ago.

Bagwell: Then it’s just as well that I’m not here to make friends, isn’t it? (Pauses for cheers.) I could take this time to ask you about your history in this sport. I could take this time to talk about what you tried to pull on myself and the Ice Man, Dean Malenko, last week during our match with Public Enemy. But I’m not going to focus on those things. I’ve got another topic to cover. I’ve got a burning question to ask. It’s a question that wrestling fans the world over have been pondering for years and years and years. The question, oh Rowdy one, is why it is that you seem to get off on wearing a skirt.

Piper’s changing expression testifies to his fury; he throws off his leather jacket and begins talking incoherent trash to Bagwell.

Bagwell: Calm down, Piper. Don’t give yourself a coronary. Would you like me to send someone down to the ring with your oxygen tank?

Piper: You’re a regular funny man tonight, Bagwell! I don’t think you’re gonna like it when I slap that grin off your face for good. You’re not gonna like it at all.

Bagwell: Roddy, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Your time in the sun is over. Your days of usefulness have come and gone. I know it, and all these people know it. (Pause for cheers). I don’t want a spot in the main event handed to me; I’m all about paying dues, and I know I’ve got a lot of dues to pay before I’ll have the luxury of comparing myself to legends in this sport. But I do know that it’s going to happen, and that you’re not going to stop it. That’s a point I’m going to make to you very, very clearly at the Bash at the Beach in six days on pay-per-view, and there’s nothing you can do about it, because I’m Buff, and I’m the Stuff!

Bagwell’s music hits and he plays to the crowd while Piper vents his anger by knocking over chairs and monitors down by the ring.

-A graphic hyping the upcoming main event is shown.

(Commercial break.)

-A promo running down the final card for the Bash at the Beach airs.

World Heavyweight Title Match

Sting & Kevin Nash © vs. Randy Savage & Sid (w/Team Madness)

The wrestler who scores the pin or submission wins/retains the World Heavyweight Title.

World Tag Team Title Match

Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Bam Bam Bigelow © (w/Kanyon)

Roddy Piper vs. Buff Bagwell

Ten Man Battle Royal: US Heavyweight Title Match

Participants: Booker T, The Cat, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Kanyon, Meng, Steven Regal, Stevie Ray, and a tenth man to be named

Eight-Man Tag Team Elimination Match

West Texas Rednecks vs. Konnan & Rey Mysterio, Jr. & Billy Kidman & Swoll

World Television Title Match

Disco Inferno vs. Rick Steiner ©

Hardcore Match

Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Hardcore Hak (w/Chastity)

Chavo Guerrero, Jr. vs. Psicosis

Edited by tqwcw

Tuesday, July 6th, 1999

7:59am

Apartment of Tom Quinn

Atlanta, Georgia

Hopping around my bedroom, I struggled to land my left leg in its intended slot in my trousers as I used my right shoulder to prop the phone receiver up to my ear. “Well, I really appreciate your flying in and putting in an appearance. I know it wasn’t easy,” I said.

“Like I said yesterday, I’m not sure what I’m going to want to be doing with myself two, three months down the line, but I’ll be in touch,” replied Bret Hart.

“Sounds good. Thanks again,” I said, and we hung up.

The Thursday before, I had had Jamie make three phone calls for me as I tried to throw together some big draws for the Georgia Dome Nitro. First, she set up a meeting with Bret Hart. Then, she coordinated with Goldberg. Finally, she tried to set something up with Hulk Hogan.

Thursday, July 1st, 1999

1:32pm

Atlanta, Georgia

I had had a productive conversation with Bret. I expressed my condolences and extended an open invitation for him to be flied into Atlanta to make a non-kayfabe statement. He wasn’t enthusiastic about the idea initially; he didn’t think he’d be able to hold it together the way he would want to. I assured him that there was no pressure for him to do this, or anything else, but finally he agreed to come in. The overwhelming feeling I got after our conversations over the next few days was that his heart wasn’t in a full-time return to the company in the immediate future. But I was confident that he’d be interested in coming back at some stage, and felt that we’d established a respectful rapport.

Goldberg was in town on Thursday, and Jamie set up a face-to-face meeting. In the minutes leading up to Goldberg’s arrival, however, she took me aside and issued a warning: Goldberg and Eric Bischoff had been butting heads for at least the last month of Bischoff’s tenure. Goldberg had known full well that then-head booker Kevin Nash was out to build around and protect himself and that, given the political climate backstage, Goldberg was in a position to be buried badly. In addition to being at a creative impasse with the company, Goldberg was also interested in renegotiating his contract for the second time at an increased rate. I was certainly willing and able to address his booking concerns, but as far as his contract went, we were already far overbudget for the fiscal year, and so adding to Goldberg’s already-hefty pricetag was not something I was eager to do. I wasn’t sure how I was going to put this to the man. He eventually arrived, and we introduced ourselves. I mentioned to him that my goal for the company over the next several months was to rebuild, and that I saw him as an integral part of WCW’s future success. I told him I had an idea for him for Nitro, and that although it would be a month or so before he would be cleared to compete in full matches, I wanted to bring him back into storylines effective immediately. He appeared suspicious and asked who was overseeing creative. I let him know that Kevin Nash was now exclusively an on-air talent, and that I was in charge of all television writing. I pitched him my idea for Nitro and my more long-term thoughts on his character, and he told me he’d be willing to go forward. He then said there was one matter that did have to be resolved.

“My agent, Barry Bloom, is going to be in touch,” he said.

“I imagine this is about your contract,” I nodded.

“There are some adjustments I’d like to see made,” he indicated.

“I’d be happy to speak to Mr. Bloom -- or to you -- about that,” I said.

Goldberg decided to proceed. “I need an additional $50,000 per month if I’m going to stick with this,” he stated. “Given my marketability and what I’ve drawn for the company in the past, I don’t think it’s unreasonable.”

“It’s not,” I said. “In a vacuum, at least.”

“What do you mean by that?” Goldberg asked.

“I’m sure you’re aware of the fact that the company has been losing money. Lots of it. Now, that’s a result of a variety of things that we don’t need to go into here, but the bottom line is that we need to be cutting costs right now rather than adding to them.”

“WCW’s budget isn’t my problem,” Goldberg said, stroking his goatee.

“You’re absolutely right. But, at the same time, we have a binding contract with you, and you have no legal grounds upon which to demand a renegotiation. Your downside guarantee is locked in at 225,000 per month until 2001,” I replied.

“That doesn’t work for me,” he said.

”I understand where you’re coming from, and I don’t want to be uncooperative, here. So, I’ll make you an offer,” I said.

“I’m listening,” Goldberg nodded.

“When you’re back at 100% and we get everything in place where storyline is concerned, you’re going to be one of our top two or three guys, without a doubt. We’ll be building around you. I know you can make us money, and I’m going to give you the incentive to do so. If we are able to turn things around by Starrcade, I’d be very open to renegotiating early.”

Goldberg thought it over for a moment. “I can live with that,” he said. “For now. A lot is going to depend on whether I’m happy creatively.”

“That makes sense. Thanks for coming in, Bill.”

And that was that. I felt good about the meeting; if nothing else, I’d put out a fire.

The news Jamie delivered following Goldberg’s departure was not so good. “Hogan isn’t interested in doing Nitro, or in talking right now,” she said.

“He can make that decision?” I asked.

“His contract is full of out-clauses and booking control. He’s busy shooting Thunder in Paradise: Terror in the Surf,” she explained.

“He thinks he can get away with murder, doesn’t he?” I said, in disbelief. Jamie nodded. I then came to a command decision. “Call the legal department. Have them start going over Bollea’s contract inch by inch. I need to know what our options are.”

Thursday had been a big day, and so was the following Monday. I was pleased with Nitro, considering the circumstances, and I felt that I had started to implement several positive changes backstage. But now that I had axed Craig Leathers and sent Kevin Sullivan home, I had to find people of my own to replace them.

Tuesday, July 6th, 1999

9:15am

Starbucks #2249

Atlanta, Georgia

Jamie was quick to remind me of this when we met for coffee later that morning. “You didn’t seem impressed by the production resumes I gave you yesterday,” she noted.

“I don’t know,” I said. “Bringing in any of those people would be like firing Jim Duggan and The Barbarian and hiring Kamala and The Warlord to fill their spots. You know what I mean?”

“What are you looking for in an executive producer?” she asked.

“I want someone who knows what they’re doing, first of all. Someone who isn’t going to fight me when I make a decision. Someone who is young and interested in putting out an appealing, relevant product,” I said.

Jamie thought it over, and then flipped through the folder she had in front of her. She pulled a resume and handed it to me. I read the name at the top. “Amanda Cutler,” I said. “A woman?”

“Take a look at her experience,” Jamie said.

“Graduated USC and has been with MTV Live Events for two and a half years,” I noted.

“You want fresh and dynamic? This could be it,” Jamie suggested. I tended to agree. “I’m not sure I can help you with your road agent problem, though.”

“I’ve been giving that a lot of thought,” I said. “I’ve already made some decisions.”

“Oh, yeah?” she asked.

“Sullivan and Rhodes are out. Kevin’s at the Powerplant for the time-being, and I figure Dusty can work as a talent scout. Anything that’ll keep him occupied and away from the arenas, ya know?”

Jamie nodded. “That doesn’t leave you with much.”

“I’d like to keep Paul Orndorff around,” I said. “And Bobby Eaton has already proven himself reliable. I had a chance to talk to Barry Horowitz last week, and I really like him. I think he could help us out in a backstage capacity. Same goes for Darsow.”

“You need a head guy to coordinate,” she said.

“I know,” I said. “And I’ve got someone in mind.”

IPB Image

Ratings Report

RAW dropped five tenths of a point to garner a 6.3 rating on Monday, while Nitro gained some growned, going up .2 to a 3.3. Raw peaked with a 6.6 during Q8 and the overrun featuring Rock vs. HHH. WCW garnered its highest viewership of the evening during the main event (4.3) and the Bret Hart promo (4.2). The placement of the Hart appearance up against the opening of RAW was seen by people backstage at both shows as an aggressive move on WCW’s part.

WCW Newsline

-Bret Hart was said to be emotional backstage before and after his segment on Nitro this past week. He is not slated to be back in any capacity for at least a few months.

-Randy Savage was reportedly upset to learn of WCW’s plans to send Gorgeous George on a photo shoot in Miami next week that also includes Torrie Wilson and Chastity. Savage apparently doesn’t like the idea of WCW using Gorgeous George outside his storyline...

-Kevin Nash appeared on the Mancow radio show yesterday morning to promote Sunday’s Bash at the Beach and criticized Goldberg for taking an excessive amount of time off to rehab his injury...

-There had been plans under Eric Bischoff to make an attempt at cost-cutting by releasing some “expendable older names,” but those plans are now on hold as new management evaluates the promotion...

-According to multiple sources, Tank Abbot will not be asked back anytime soon, if at all.

-Hugh Morrus has agreed to cut his hair and is said to be committed to losing some weight as WCW transitions him into a new gimmick and a more serious push.

-WCW Saturday Night taping results from the Georgia Dome:

(1) Dean Malenko made “The Gentleman” Chris Adams submit to the Texas Cloverleaf.

(2) Villanos IV and V & Kaz Hayashi beat Ciclope & Damien & El Dandy.

(3) Brian Adams squashed Scott Armstrong.

(4) Chavo Guerrero, Jr. beat Prince Iaukea via pinfall with the Tornado DDT.

(5) Rick Steiner pinned “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan.

WWF Newsline

-Despite his weekend motorcycle accident, Vince McMahon will be able to compete at the 7/25 Fully Loaded PPV...

-Quick Raw Results

The Hardy Boyz def. World Tag Team Champs The Acolytes to win the belts

The Godfather def. Gangrel

Test def. Joey Abs via DQ

Hardcore Champ Al Snow def. European Champ D’Lo Brown in a Non-Title Match

Road Dogg nc. Val Venis

Intercontinental Champ Jeff Jarrett def. Chaz

Billy Gunn def. Meat

Kane def. The Big Show & Hardcore Holly in a Handicap Match.

The Rock def. Triple H in a Steel Cage Match.

• 2 weeks later...

IPB Image

Thursday, July 9th, 1999

from the Centreplex in Macon, GA.

Hosted by “Iron” Mike Tenay and “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyzsko

-A video package highlighting Sting and Kevin Nash's tension following the Sting-Savage match on Nitro is shown.

-The Thunder opener airs.

-Mike Tenay and Larry Zbyszko kick off the program.

Tenay: A storm is raging in Macon, Georgia! Good evening, everyone; Mike Tenay along with "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko for two solid hours of WCW Thunder as we enter the final stretch on the road to the Bash at the Beach, and what a pay-per-view event that will be Sunday evening live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. We will have a full preview of the Bash tonight on this program, Legend, and the superstars are here; the World Heavyweight Champion Kevin Nash is in the building. His scheduled tag team partner for the Bash, Sting, is scheduled to be here, as are their opponents "The Macho Man" Randy Savage and Sid Vicious, plus "Diamond" Dallas Page, Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn, Booker T, Chris Jericho & Eddie Guerrero. and Buff Bagwell; it's a full house tonight.

Zbysko: Well, you know, the anticipation is building in the back -- it's palpable. There's a lot on the line this Sunday for a lot of people.

Tenay: There certainly is, and we will dissect all of it here tonight. On that note, it's time for our opening bout!

(1) Silver King, El Dandy, & Villanos IV and V vs. Konnan, Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman, & Swoll.

Tenay hypes this as a warm-up match for Konnan and his team as they prepare to take on the West Texas Rednecks at the Bash in a battle of Hip Hop vs. Country. Pre-match, Konnan does his obligatory "viva la raza" bit.

Kidman starts out against El Dandy as they try to outquick each other with their cruiserweight styles. Tenay recaps the loss Kidman suffered to Curt Hennig at Nitro thanks to the interference of the Rednecks. After Kidman takes Dandy down with the Rydeen bomb, Silver King is tagged in and Tenay warns us not to be fooled by his stocky physique. Indeed, the King knocks Kidman down with a dropkick and Konnan is tagged in. Konnan ducks a superkick then nails the somersault and clothesline. He goes for his backkick, but Silver King grabs the ropes and tags Villano V in. Konnan tries for the backkick again, and connects, following up with the usual face jam. Villano IV then switches with Villano V without making a tag, and referee Scott Dickinson is oblivious. Villano IV enjoys a momentary advantage, but when he charges at Konnan at one point, Konnan moves out of the way in time to grab Villano IV and toss him over the top rope. Konnan tags in Rey, who immediately goes for the tope onto Villano IV on the outside. Rey Rey hops back in the ring and plays to the crowd while El Villano's tag team partners offer him encouragement. Villano IV slides back into the ring, executes a drop toehold on the charging Rey, and then drops a high elevation elbow on Mysterio's back. Villano IV whips Rey into the ropes and charges at him, but Rey slides out of the corner at the last minute; Villano IV collides with the turnbuckle. Rey then charges in with the Bronco Buster, garnering himself a pop. Villanos IV and V once more do an illegal switch, but it's too late to do much good; Rey tags fresh man Swoll in; he catches Villano V with a backbreaker and then follows up with a powerful pumphandle slam to secure the pinfall.

WINNERS: Team Hip-Hop at ~8:00

STAR RATING: *3/4. This match was meant to spotlight the babyface team. Swoll is not ready to be working matches on national television...

The rappers have a brief celebration post-match, but it is interrupted by a run-in from West Texas Rednecks Curt Hennig, Bobby Duncum, and Barry & Kendall Windham. A wild brawl between all eight men ensues in preparation for Sunday's tag team match...

-Backstage, Scott Hudson finds Kevin Nash entering his dressing room with the World Heavyweight Title.

Hudson: Kevin Nash, a minute of your time, if you don't mind. We are just three days away from the Bash at the Beach and the tag team match in which you've got to defend your World Heavyweight Title. I don't think it would be an inaccuracy to state that you and your scheduled partner, Sting, have some problems.

Nash: No, Scott, that's not inaccurate. Monday night proved to me that Sting and I do have what you might call some fundamental communication problems between us, and that's not something I want to deal with when I step into the ring against Randy Savage and Sid Vicious with my World Title belt on the line. What I need is a resolution, and Scott, there's no time like the present.

Hudson: What does you mean by that, champ?

Nash: I know that Sting is scheduled to be here in Macon tonight, and I think that the perfect place for him and me to straighten things out will be in the center of the ring for all the world to see on Thunder.

Hudson: You want a face-to-face meeting with Sting in the ring tonight?

Nash: Bingo. You and me, Sting. Tonight.

(Commercial break).

-Backstage once more, Scott Hudson finds The Cat practicing his kicks.

Hudson: Back on Thunder, fans, and obviously, we've caught The Cat at a bad time.

Cat: You sure have, Hudson. Does it look to you like I have time for chatter?

Hudson: You're clearly preparing for that 10-man Battle Royal for the United States Heavyweight Title scheduled for the Bash at the Beach, but if you'll recall, you made a vow on Nitro to tap into your industry sources, your connections, and find out who this unknown tenth participant in that match will be. You said you'd share your findings on Thunder, so I think you can guess what my question for you might be.

Cat: I can figure it out, all right, but Scott Hudson, there's something you need to know. I talk when I'm good and ready to talk, and right now, I jes' ain't ready to talk. I will expose Ric Flair's secret tenth entrant into my Battle Royal as soon as I feel like it. You got that?

Hudson: If you say so, Cat, sure. But let's talk about the Battle Royal itself. You have yet to hold a major title in World Championship Wrestling, and so Sunday is arguably a very big night for you.

Cat: The Cat's time has finally arrived, baby. Did you know it's the Year of the Cat, Scott Hudson?

Hudson: I did not know that, Cat. As a matter of fact, I was under the distinct impression that it's the Year of the Rabbit.

Cat: Well, you're wrong, boy. Sunday night will be my night, and after that, I'm gonna celebrate, live on Monday Nitro. You'll see. You'll all see.

(2) Scotty "The Body" Riggs vs. Booker T.

Riggs's narcissist gimmick is stepped up here, as Tenay puts over his new nickname and Riggs admires himself in his mirror during his entrance. Booker then makes his way to the ring, signaling for the US Heavyweight Title as he looks forward to Sunday's Battle Royal in which he is a participant.

The match gets underway as Tenay and Zbyszko speculate as to who the tenth man in the match will be, reminding viewers that Flair explained on Nitro that he couldn't make the announcement because "negotiations were still underway." Booker controls the pace in the early going here, with Riggs a step behind, falling to a back elbow, a big clothesline, and a belly to back suplex. Riggs has scouted, Booker, however, and ducks to the canvas to avoid a Harlem Sidekick. This is the opening Riggs needs to soften Booker up with some kicks. He whips Booker into the ropes and executes a big back bodydrop. Riggs then goes off the second rope with an elbow drop. Riggs locks in an armbar and is forced to break the hold after a count by the referee. With Booker down on the mat, Riggs, overly pleased with himself, poses for the disapproving crowd. By the time he goes back to Booker, Booker has worked up enough steam to hoist Riggs up for a big spinebuster. With Riggs down, Booker returns to his feet following the Spineroonie. Riggs wobbles to his feet, allowing Booker to connect with the Scissors Kick. Booker raises the roof along with the crowd, sends Riggs to the mat once more with a successful Harlem Sidekick, and finishes him off by going up top with the old Harlem Hangover, leading to the pinfall.

WINNER: Booker T at ~6:30

STAR RATING: **

The victory is put over by the announcers as an impressive showing going into the Bash. Booker does his talking-into-the-camera bit post-match, hyping up Sunday's Battle Royal...

(Commercial break).

-A brief video package highlighting the rivalry that has developed between Chris Benoit and Diamond Dallas Page within the context of the battle between Saturn/Benoit and The Triad for the World Tag Team Titles is shown.

(3) Jerry Flynn & The Barbarian (w/Jimmy Hart) vs. Chris Benoit & Perry Saturn

As Benoit and Saturn enter, Tenay explains the significance of Page having put Saturn in the Crossface during the 6-man tag team match days earlier on Nitro, noting the unspoken rule among wrestlers that individuals' signature moves simply shouldn't be stolen or emulated by other wrestlers, much less by rivals.

While Flynn and the Barbarian are no pushovers, Benoit and Saturn are highly motivated as they prepare to challenge for the World Tag Team Titles on pay-per-view. Flynn starts out against Benoit, who is the perfect person to counter the Lightningfoot's kickboxing-based offense. Benoit keeps Flynn either grounded or isolated by vicious chops in the corner. Hart does distract Benoit at one point, giving Flynn the chance to kick Benoit in the back of the head and tag in the veteran Barbarian. Barbarian goes for the Kick of Fear soon after the tag in, but Benoit is quick on his feet and uses a legsweep to send Barbarian down to the mat. At this point, we go to a splitscreen revealing that Triad members DDP, Kanyon, and Bam Bam Bigelow are backstage, but instead of scouting their upcoming opponents, are spending their time enjoying poker night in the locker room! Back in the ring, Benoit tags in Saturn, who superkicks Barbarian as he stumbles to his feet. Saturn then uses the T-Bone suplex on his larger opponent for a two count. Barbarian tags Flynn in. Saturn ducks a clothesline and gets Flynn up for the Death Valley Driver, but Flynn squirms out and immediately sends Saturn staggering against the ropes with an uppercut. Flynn whips Saturn into the ropes and goes for a sidekick, but Saturn ducks and then hits a Northern Lights Suplex for another two. Barbarian taunts Saturn, provoking an attack from him. This sets up for a double team by Barbarian and Flynn in the corner while Hart distracts Charles Robinson. Barbarian is tagged in and stuffs Saturn down onto the mat with a nasty looking piledriver. However, Saturn is able to kick out after two. Saturn puts Barbarian in another suplex and then makes the hot tag to Benoit, who sends Barbarian to the mat momentarily with an enziguri and then knocks Flynn off the apron. Benoit returns to the Barbarian, puts on the trifecta of rolling German suplexes, and then goes for the swandive headbutt from the top followed by the Crippler Crossface. There's nothing Hart or Flynn can do at this point, and the Barbarian taps. Benoit and Saturn secure the pre-Bash victory!

WINNER: Benoit & Saturn at ~8:30

STAR RATING: *3/4. No match in which Barbarian and Flynn participate may rise above **.

(Commercial break).

-The Triad's poker game continues backstage, and Scott Hudson enters their locker room.

Hudson: Thunder in Macon continues, fans, and I have made my way to the Triad locker room area, and excuse me, gentlemen, but I've got to ask: isn't it a bit odd that you opted to participate in a poker game rather than take advantage of the opportunity to take a look at Chris Benoit and Perry Saturn in action, given that your tag team titles will be on the line against them in a matter of days?

Bigelow: We've seen all we need to see from Benoit and Saturn

Kanyon: That's right. And, you know, Hudson, I was just tellin' the boys: I happen to see a lot of gold in the Triad's future. Bigelow and Page leaving Fort Lauderdale with the tag titles, and I, myself, am leaving with the US Heavyweight title. That's a fact.

Page: I don't need to watch any more of "The Canadian Crybaby" Chris Benoit and his freak of nature tag team partner to know that they just don't have it. And by the way, Hudson: tell your buddies at the broadcast booth that from now on, "Diamond" Dallas Page has a new nickname.

Hudson: A new nickname?

Page: You saw Nitro on Monday. From now on, you can call me "The Master of the Crippler Crossface."

Page laughs maniacally.

Kanyon: Bada-bing.

Bigelow: Bada-boom.

Page: Bada-bang!

Page stares intensely at Hudson, who looks uncomfortably back at the camera...

(4) Lenny (w/Lodi) vs. Hugh Morrus (w/Jimmy Hart)

Lenny and Lodi are all smiles as they head to the ring together. Morrus enters carrying and displaying a recent, racy centerfold of Chastity from WCW Magazine, and the announcers note how inappropriate Morrus's recent overtures to Chastity have been. They also point out that no one seems more aware of that than Hak, who interrupted Morrus's match with the Disco Inferno on Nitro. We're reminded that the Morrus-Hak encounter set to take place at the Bash will be called under Hardcore Rules, meaning quite simply that there are no rules...

Morrus dominates here, scoopslamming Lenny early on and further punishing him with a legdrop, brainbuster, and side salto suplex. Indeed, he makes a pin attempt after a press slam, but pulls Lenny's shoulders up purposely after the two count! Tenay and Zbyzsko agree that he is sending Hak a message. Morrus picks up Lenny and squashes him with a Samoan Drop. We see Hak stalking to the ring as Morrus climbs up to the top rope for the No Laughing Matter. Hak shoves Hart to the floor and, while Billy Silverman is checking on Lenny, Hak nails Morrus on the top rope with the Kendo Stick and Morrus crashes down to the mat. Hak leaves through the crowd. A groggy Lenny gets to his feet, struggles to pull Morrus to a semi-vertical base, and is able to slap on a modified version of his reverse Russian Legsweep, "Over the Rainbow." Lenny scores the upset!

WINNER: Lenny at ~5:00

STAR RATING: *

Lenny and Lodi celebrate immediately following the pin, but Morrus gets to his feet, gives Lenny and Lodi double coconuts, and tosses them both over the top rope. Hart tries to calm the fuming Morrus down, and Tenay points out that Morrus, Hart, and the rest of the First Family brought the plague that is Hak upon themselves when they played mind games with Chastity on Nitro...

(Commercial break).

-Backstage, the cameras follow the enraged Hugh Morrus with Jimmy Hart as he returns through the curtain to the backstage area.

Morrus: I'm telling you, Jimmy; when I get Hak one on one, I--

Hart: Hugh, look out~!

Hak appears with his Kendo Stick and again attacks Hugh Morrus. After recovering from the initial shock, Morrus begins to fight back. Zbyzsko notes that we might as well call this the start to the competitors' scheduled match for the Bash...

-Back in the arena, "Disco Fever" begins and the Disco Inferno makes his way to the ring -- wearing Rick Steiner's trademarked headgear and dog collar, and barking ala the Dogfaced Gremlin. Once he reaches the ring, he crawls around the ring on all fours as Steiner has been known to do in the past. He is then handed a mic by David Penzer.

Disco: All right. All right, guys. We're playing charades, here. Who am I? Huh? Who does this remind you of?

Disco goes through his imitation once more. He then waits for the crowd to respond.

Disco: That's right! That's right. It's your World Television Champion, Rick Steiner. It's an embarrassment, isn't it? It's a real joke.

Disco removes the headgear and dog collar in disgust.

Disco: A sham of a mockery; a mockery of a sham. But I have taken the initiative and I lobbied for a title shot against Steiner at the Bash at the Beach, and I was successful. I've got my shot, my chance to become a 3-time TV champion on Sunday night, and I promise you right here, right now that I will bring the pride back to the title.

We see an agitated Rick Steiner making his way to the ring. He slides into the ring, and Disco backs into the corner.

Disco: Rick! Hey, it's Rick Steiner, everybody! The World Television Champion! My worthy opponent for Sunday night at the Bash at the Beach. It's a pleasure to see you, Rick, as always.

Disco, trying to put out the fire, extends his hand. Rick thinks for a moment, and then reaches down, picks up the discarded, studded dog collar and decks Disco with it. He hits him a few more times with the collar, and Disco is clearly out cold. The grouchy Steiner then poses with the TV Title belt on the top rope. Tenay observes that Disco faces an uphill struggle at the Bash...

(Commercial break).

-Back from break, we go to the announcers.

Tenay: Still lots more to come on Thunder this week as we gear up for the Bash at the Beach. Sid Vicious and "The Macho Man" Randy Savage are here. Plus, will Sting agree to Kevin Nash's request? Will he come down to the ring later on to work out his issues with his scheduled tag team partner for Sunday night? Keep in mind that, by order of the President of World Championship Wrestling, Ric Flair, the World Heavyweight Title will be on the line Sunday night. If it is Sting who scores the pinfall or submission, he will walk away with the gold. The same obviously goes for Savage and Sid as well, Larry.

Zbyzsko: Well, I mean, it's no wonder that Nash wants to have this face-to-face with Sting tonight. He's got a monumental challenge to overcome at the Bash at the Beach, and he needs as few complications as possible going into it.

Tenay: That's exactly right, and fans, I've-- I've just been informed by our executive producer that we have "Rowdy" Roddy Piper on the phones. Apparently the Hot Rod has called in, and let's see if he can hear us. Roddy?

Piper: Yeah, Tenay; I can hear you.

Tenay: I take it you are calling in from your ranch in Portland.

Piper: That's right. I'm relaxing in the hot tub with a gin and tonic, enjoying the spoils of my career. You know, life is good.

Zbyzsko: Hot Rod, it's Larry Zbyzsko here, and I hope you don't mind my saying that you don't seem too concerned about Buff Bagwell and your match on Sunday night at the Bash...

Piper: It's like I said Monday night in Hotlanta, Larry. Bagwell's conned management, he's conned the fans; he's peaked. He has no future in this sport -- in my sport -- and I am going to write the final chapter on Buffy at the pay-per-view.

Tenay: But what about the provocative comments Buff Bagwell made towards you Monday on Nitro, when he questioned your habit of wearing that traditional kilt, and when he joked about your age. It looked to me as though--

Piper: He can shoot off at the mouth all he wants, Tenay! The reality of the situation is that this guy is a flash in the pan, and there's no one more qualified to expose him than me. But, you know, Marcus has another problem to take care of tonight on Thunder. I spoke with my compatriot from the United Kingdom a bit earlier, and I can tell you that Bagwell's got a fight ahead of him tonight.

Tenay: You're referring to his scheduled match with Fit Finlay for a little later on.

Piper: That's right. Buff one on one with the Belfast Bruiser. You seen that finishing move of Finlay's?

Tenay: The Tombstone Piledriver?

Piper: That wouldn't do Buff's bum neck any favors, now, would it?

Tenay: No. No, I suppose it wouldn't.

Piper: Exactly. The way I see it, Bagwell's downfall begins tonight, and comes to a conclusion Sunday night in Fort Lauderdale.

(5) "Slightly Chilled" Steve Armstrong vs. Diamond Dallas Page

Armstrong once again channels "Stone Cold" Steve Austin during his entrance, and Tenay explains that he is now going around the locker room insisting on being referred to as "Slightly Chilled." On the topic of nicknames, Tenay and Zbyzsko refuse to appease Page by calling him "The Master of the Crippler Crossface."

As Armstrong and Page grapple in the opening minutes of the match, the announcers suggest that the Triad's disinterest in taking Benoit and Saturn seriously may come back to haunt them on Sunday. Armstrong gets in a bit of offense after ducking one of Page's discus clotheslines. With Page isolated in the corner, Armstrong stomps a mudhole in him. He then climbs the turnbuckle to raise his arms in celebration. This allows Page to get back to his feet; he slips under Armstrong and powerbombs him from his position on the second rope. Page uses the ropes for leverage in a pinning combination, but Armstrong kicks out before three. Page sends Armstrong into the ropes and delivers a sidewalk slam. He then picks Armstrong up and drops him with the old Pancake. Armstrong again kicks out. Page hits a couple of right hands and has Armstrong staggering on the ropes. Page charges in, but Armstrong drops him to the outside! Armstrong then joins Page outside, but before he can inflict any damage, Page drives his elbow into Armstrong's mid-section and sends him head first into the ring steps. Page rolls Armstrong back into the ring. There, he whips Armstrong into the ropes. Armstrong blocks a punch; Page quickly gets into position, however, and takes Armstrong out with the Diamond Cutter! Instead of going for the pin, however, he locks on his version of the Crippler Crossface! Armstrong is out cold, and Mickey Jay awards Page the match after a ten count.

WINNER: Diamond Dallas Page at ~7:00

STAR RATING: **1/2

Page mugs for the camera, and Tenay states that he cannot wait for Chris Benoit to get his hands on Page -- and potentially the World Tag Team Titles -- on Sunday.

(Commercial break).

-Scott Hudson is in the middle of the ring.

Hudson: The countdown continues here on Thunder, and at this time, I ask you all to join me in welcoming two men who will be a part of Sunday's 10-man Battle Royal to determine a new United States Champion. They are, first, the inspirational leader to Jerichoholics across the globe, Chris Jericho, and second, a man who has already been US Heavyweight Champion, Eddie Guerrero!

Jericho's music brings the heels to the ring. Once they are in place, Hudson continues.

Hudson: Chris Jericho, thanks for speaking with us tonight; your thoughts on Sunday's Battle Royal.

Jericho: Well, first of all, Huddleston, Eddie and I want to acknowledge the fans for their incredible support. We never imagined that the Crusade Against Tyranny would take off quite the way it has.

Guerrero: Isn't it incredible, bro? The people really want to see Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho get what they deserve.

Jericho: Not necessarily in that order, of course.

Guerrero and Jericho exchange suspicious looks.

Hudson: You two may be co-crusaders in this general struggle of yours, but at the Bash at the Beach, you'll be competing against each other for the US Championship, along with eight other men.

Jericho: JoJo Dillon put you up to this, didn't he? He told you to drive a wedge between us.

Hudson: He did no such thing. It's a valid point to make.

Guerrero: Well, then, here's a valid answer, essa. Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero aren't looking to fight each other during the Battle Royal; they're looking to help each other. Isn't that right, Chris?

Jericho: You are absolutely right, Eduardo, and that is the end of that. You see, the real pressing matter here tonight is who Ric Flair's tenth competitor is. You might not have been able to get any answers out of him, Hutton, but the Crusaders Against Tyranny are going to produce results for all of their supporters watching at home. So, Kitty -- come out, come out wherever you are!

Guerrero: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...

Jericho: Come on, Cat! I'm losing my patience. It's time for you to play your hand. Now, now, now!

As Jericho stomps around the ring, The Cat's music begins. He heads to the ring in disbelief. Once in the ring, he speaks.

Cat: Somebody call my mama. You didn't just address The Cat in front of all these rednecks like I think you did, did you?

Jericho: I won't be intimidated, Cat! You know who the tenth man is? Spill! Right now!

Guerrero: We don't have a lot of patience, Senor Gato...

Cat: All right, ya'll. I'll tell you what I know, but only because I feel like it. I heard from Barry Horowitz, who heard from Sister Sherri Martel, who heard from Greg "The Hammer" Valentine that the tenth man competing for the US Title at the Bash at the Beach will be -- The Disciple! That's right. Brutus Beefcake -- the Booty Man, himself.

Guerrero and Jericho exchange looks of shock.

Hudson: Wait a second, Cat. Ed Leslie doesn't work here anymore. He's not even wrestling anymore. Cat, I don't know it it was Sister Sherri or The Hammer or Abdullah the Butcher, but somewhere along the way, you were given some bad information. The tenth man is not going to be The Booty Man.

Jericho: You mean, you've been stringing us along all night?

Guerrero: That's just not right, man.

Cat: Well, don't blame me, ya'll. Blame Horowitz.

Guerrero and Jericho don't seem to have any interest in that suggestion, and instead attack The Cat. Hudson bails from the ring.

Booker T, Dean Malenko, Steven Regal, Meng, Stevie Ray, and Kanyon all hit the ring and join in the pier-6 brawl in preparation for Sunday's match. Referees and officials hit the ring and try to restore order as we go to commercial.

(Commercial break).

-Scott Hudson is now in the back.

Hudson: All right, folks, order has been restored out in the arena, and I can also report that a spokesman from Ric Flair's office has called in and confirmed that The Disciple will not be a part of the US Title Battle Royal at Bash at the Beach. In future, we hope The Cat will be able to connect with better sources when in search of a scoop. With that out of the way, though, it's time to bring in a man who is preparing for a big match on Sunday's pay-per-view. Chavo Guerrero, Jr., you are the #1 Contender to Rey Mysterio, Jr.'s World Cruiserweight Title, but on Sunday night, you lock up with another top luchadore in WCW, Psicosis.

Guerrero: I sure do, Scott, and as the name implies, Psicosis tends to get a little crazy at times, and I guess he's not real happy about the fact that it was I who captured the number one contendership and the shot at Rey-Rey. He's coming to the Bash at the Beach to beat me. But I think everyone knows that I've been known to get a little crazy myself, and if that's what I have to do to beat Psicosis on Sunday night, I'll do it.

(6) Kenny Kaos vs. Sid Vicious (w/Randy Savage, Gorgeous George, Madusa, & "Miss Madness," Mona)

The remaining member of High Voltage heads to the ring and is put over by Tenay as a former tag team champion with Rick Steiner. Forboding music then brings Sid to the ring with the rest of Team Madness. Kaos stares down the intimidating faction before him before the start of the match.

As the bell rings, Kaos immediately throws a dropkick at Sid, but Sid swats it off. Kaos gets back to his feet and goes after Sid with kicks and punches that have no effect. Kaos bounces off the ropes and appears to be going for a shoulderblock, but Sid catches him with a chokeslam. He follows up with what is now being called the Mile High Powerbomb, covers Kaos with his boot, and scores the victory.

WINNER: Sid at ~1:30

STAR RATING: n/a

Post-match, Savage and the ladies enter the ring. While the women force Kaos to the outside by kicking at him, Savage acquires a microphone.

-Savage addresses the crowd and the camera.

Savage: Kevin Nash, I hope you were watching, brother, because you've got one of those Mile High Powerbombs in your future -- in your not-so-distant future; oh, yeah. Anyone who's had the guts or stupidity to approach the Macho Man since Monday night has asked me one thing: everyone wants to know how I feel about the fact that aside from myself, Sting and malicious Sid Vicious have the chance to capture the World Heavyweight Title Sunday night at the Bash. And I will say this: I made it clear when I came back a couple of months ago that I had my eye on the prize -- I want to be the World Heavyweight Champion, and when I want something, I take it; you better believe it. But I've also been pretty straight-forward over the past couple of weeks in demonstrating that my primary objective right now is to cut Kevin Nash down to size. So would it make me happiest to fly off the top turnbuckle, collapse Kevin Nash's lung, and win the belt? You're damn right it would, brother. But you won't see me complain if Sid, here, brings the belt home to Team Madness, either. In other words, it's simple: Sid Vicious and the Macho Man are going into the Bash at the Beach as a cohesive unit, and there's nothin' Kevin Nash can do about it. But Kevin Nash isn't the only one who should be worried. Sting, you've crossed the Macho Man one too many times. You can consider yourself on the hitlist. But wait; there's more. Yeah, I'm talking about you. I'm talking about you, Bill Goldberg. I haven't forgotten what you did on Monday Nitro. Sid hasn't forgotten, and the fact of the matter is that you are way out of your league, brother. I've got friends, Bill. I've got a dark side you can't even begin to imagine, and if you give me one more excuse to show it, I will.

(Commercial break).

-A video package airs, running down the problems that have developed between Roddy Piper and Buff Bagwell, stemming back to their initial alliance sealed several weeks ago.

(7) Fit Finlay vs. Buff Bagwell

Once Buff reaches the ring following his entrance, he poses a bit as his music continues, and the ruthless Finlay attacks before the bell. This gives him the upper hand for several minutes. Finlay applies his typical, punishing offense. He applies a side headlock and quickly grounds Bagwell. Finlay stomps on Bagwell, then drops a couple of elbows. Next up: a scoopslam, and a couple of stiff kicks to Buff's back. Bagwell reverses an Irish Whip and then hits a scoop slam of his own. Finlay rolls to the outside. Bagwell gives chase, but Finlay catches him with a boot to the gut. Finlay drops Buff on the throat on the guardrail. He then puts Bagwell back in the ring, draping his head over the ring apron and then dropping an elbow on his throat. Finlay executives the rolling fireman's carry slam and gets a two count. Finlay goes for a vertical suplex; Bagwell blocks it and comes out of nowhere with a reverse neckbreaker. Finlay kicks out of a pin attempt at two. Finlay counters an attempted belly to back suplex with a back flip; Bagwell turns around straight into some stiff Finlay uppercuts. Bagwell is whipped into the corner; Finlay charges in but receives a big boot. Bagwell sets up for the Blockbuster on the top rope, but Finlay manages to crotch him there. Finlay goes up top and looks to be planning a superplex, but Bagwell is able to shove Finlay to the mat. Bagwell plays to the crowd and comes off the top with a double ax handle blow. Bagwell gets another two count. Bagwell sets up a Butterfly Suplex, but Finlay drops him with a rough DDT and rolls on top for the two count. Finlay softens Bagwell up with a short clothesline, and then signals for the Tombstone Piledriver. Finlay has Bagwell in position for the move, but Bagwell wriggles back to a vertical base and throws a sudden dropkick. He goes up top and, this time, connects with the Blockbuster for the pre-PPV win!

WINNER: Bagwell at ~8:30

STAR RATING: **3/4

-Backstage, Kevin Nash exits his dressing room...

(Commercial break).

-We go to a shot of Scott Hudson in the production truck.

Hudson: Time now on Thunder to take a final look at the card for Sunday's Bash at the Beach. The start time is 8:00 eastern time, 5:00 on the west coast. Call your cable company or satellite provider now, folks. The US Heavyweight Title will be decided in a 10-man over-the-top rope Battle Royal. Participants include Booker T, The Cat, Chris Jericho, Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero, Kanyon, Meng, Steven Regal, Stevie Ray, and a tenth competitor with whom negotiations are evidently still underway. For the World Tag Team Titles, it'll be the Canadian Crippler, Chris Benoit, alongside Perry Saturn challenging the champions, Diamond Dallas Page and the Beast from the East, Bam Bam Bigelow. That one has been building for weeks. The World Television Champion Rick Steiner defends his title against the Disco Inferno. Will Disco make it out of Fort Lauderdale in one piece? It'll be cruiserweight war when Chavo Guerrero, Jr. locks horns with Psicosis. 8-man elimination tag team action will pit Konnan, Rey Mysterio, Billy Kidman, and Swoll against the country boys, the West Texas Rednecks led by Curt Hennig. In a hardcore match sanctioned by Ric Flair himself, Hardcore Hak faces Hugh Morrus, and you've got to wonder what roles Chastity and "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart will play in that one. Get ready for New School vs. Old School as Buff Bagwell collides with "Rowdy" Roddy Piper. And, finally, tag team main event where the winner walks away with the big one, the World Heavyweight Title: Sting and Nash against Savage and Sid. Will Sting and Nash be able to co-exist? We know Goldberg is planning to be at the Bash. It goes without saying that he'll make an impact -- what will that impact be? Will Randy Savage bring the driver of the hummer to the Bash? There is no way of knowing what wl go down, and--

Suddenly, Torrie Wilson walks into the production truck.

Hudson: Well, this is an unexpected surprise. Torrie Wilson is here; Torrie, I think you may've taken a wrong turn somewhere.

Torrie: No, Scott; I'm exactly where I want to be. First, I want to update everyone on the condition of my boyfriend, David Flair.

Hudson: You do?

Torrie: David has received so many cards and letters asking about his recovery, and it truly means a lot. He's persevering -- he's fighting.

Hudson: Well, that's-- that's great.

Torrie: Isn't it? The other reason I'm here is to make a prediction. I predict that Roddy Piper is going to wipe the floor with Buff Bagwell.

Hudson: You made your dislike for Buff clear backstage on Monday night.

Torrie: The man is a pig, and I can promise you that I will be cheering Hot Rod on at the Bash at the Beach.

As Torrie shoves her assets into the camera, we return to the arena for our feature segment.

-Wolfpac music begins, and World Champ Kevin Nash walks to the ring. There, he speaks.

Nash: Macon, G-A. Big Sexy in -- the -- house. In case you hadn't heard, there's this pay-per-view on Sunday night. At this pay-per-view, I'm defending the World Heavyweight Title in a tag team match against three others guys -- including my own tag team partner, Sting. Randy Savage wants to end my career and Sid Vicious wants to help Randy Savage do it. But what about Sting? What is it that Sting wants? Last week, I admitted that I made a mistake when I accused Sting of being the guy responsible for crashing into me with a hummer. I was wrong, and I've owned up to it. Three days ago on Nitro, I saw a situation getting out of control. I saw Sid and Savage work together to take out Bill Goldberg, and I saw that Sting was going to be next. But instead of sitting back and watching, I came to the ring and I got rid of Savage. I thought I was doing Sting a favor, but I think anyone who saw the end of the show knows that he didn't agree with me. But, hey; it's okay that we disagreed then. It's okay for us to disagree now. But it won't be okay for Sting and Big Sexy to disagree when they step into the ring as tag team partners in 72 hours at the Bash at the Beach. Sting, we've run together in the past. Hell, we ran together with Savage as part of the Wolfpac. We've got to find a way to make this partnership work again, for one night only. So, I'm calling you out. How bout it, Sting? What's your answer, bro?

Nash waits. After several seconds, Sting's music hits, and he makes his entrance. In the ring, he stands at all corners and howls for the crowd. He then goes face-to-face with Nash at mid-ring.

Sting: Big Sexy wanted a confrontation with the Stinger, huh? (Nash nods). Well, you know what, Kevin? Since we're out here baring our souls, I might as well tell you that I -- don't -- like you. (Pause for crowd reaction). The good news is, I like Randy Savage and Sid Vicious even less. Bad news is, this isn't your typical tag team match at the Bash, now, is it?

Nash: No. It's not.

Sting: There's no incentive for us to win. There's incentive for me to win. And, hey; I think it's about time for the Stinger to be World Heavyweight Champion again. What about you guys?

The crowd responds.

Nash: I was trying to help you out on Monday night, Sting.

Sting: Kev, I might believe ya if this had happened eight weeks ago, but I've since learned that Kevin Nash is out to protect one man and one man only, and that's Kevin Nash. When you accused me of driving that hummer, you made it crystal clear that you don't like me, and that you don't trust me. But it's okay. It's okay, because the feeling -- is -- mutual.

Nash: It's like that, huh?

Sting: Yeah. It's like that. I will be your partner on Sunday night, Big Sexy. You can be sure of that. And you can also be sure that my objective -- my only objective -- is to win the WCW World Heavyweight Title. Come Sunday night, it's showtime, baby!

Sting's music hits once more. World champion Nash looks on as Sting soaks up the approval of the crowd as the dynamic between the men grows more complex just days before the big event. Tenay and Zbyzsko give the PPV one more hard sell, and we're out of time, with Nash and Sting face to face in the ring!

Edited by tqwcw

Another good show. I'm enjoying the backstage stuff still, but the shows are what's making it for me. You're keeping the feel of a WCW show, while at the same time giving us something interesting.

The World Title scene is really good right now, but I'd suggest keeping the belt on Nash for the time being. Maybe do Nash Vs Sting in August for the title. I don't think any of these guys actually benefit from being Champion right now, but if you have to take it off Big Sexy, don't do it right away.

Aside from the World Title scene, the only other things I'm really interested in right now are the mystery 10th entrant into the US Title battle royal at the Bash, and the Disco Inferno/Television Title storyline. I'm not a real big fan of Rick Steiner, and Disco's always entertained me.

Other than that, maybe work on getting some of the undercard storylines more over and interesting, and you'll have yourself some really solid cards coming up.