Buying a console

Chris the Human

So, now that I am gainfully employed, my first port of call is buying a console. Now, I'm aware that the 360 is on the horizon (as is the PS3, right?) but I want my games fix now, and I want it moderately cheap - since I'm also planning to rebuild my computer.

So, what console of the big three would you recommend? I've had a fair bit of experience with the xBox, but have always been impressed with the PS2's range of good games (titles like Silent Hill, for example). Should I stick with the xBox? Or can somebody sell me on the PS2?

Hell, I'll buy a Gamecube if I get enough recommendations. I'm really just looking for some insight into the market, since I've not owned my own console since my trusty N64.

Try and get them both, if you can find them second hand somewhere you should be able to get them cheap. I know round here I could get an Xbox and PS2 second hand with 2 controllers and a game for each for around £100. Don't know how much you'd be able to get them from in Australia but I doubt that there would be that much difference.

But if you had to get one I'd say PS2. I have both but I like the Playstation better than the Xbox.

Edited by LBTN™ Version2

Guest Helmed Horror

All are good choices. If you just want excellent game selection, PS2 wins hands down in comparison to the other two. As well as getting majority of the games released on all systems, it also has a large amount of good quality exclusive titles. While many aren't as high profile as Halo or Zelda or whatever, they are still good.

And...well...I'd tell you to get a GameCube, but that's only because I'm a Nintendo fanboy. *shrug*

But for value for money, PS2

Edited by Helmed Horror

Well, assuming I go with the general consensus (and it's pretty much all PS2 favoured on the three sites I've asked) - what games would you consider must haves?

My favourite xBox titles were Halo, GTA, Fable, Hunter, the Tony Hawk series, and pretty much anything moderately involved. (Is X-Men Legends on PS2?). I've always had people telling me how good things like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy etc are. I guess I could finally find out for myself, :lol:

Yeah give Metal Gear and FF a try. You'll have to start off with MGS2, but there's a good write up of the first one on Wikipedia if you want to follow the story.

Also, I strongly recommend Resident Evil 4.

For fighting try Tekken and then there's always Smackdown vs. RAW.

For Racing it's pretty obvious you're going to want Gran Turismo if you want a racing game. Also give the Silent Hill series a try as well.

Edited by LBTN™ Version2

Go Gamecube. It's really cheap right now, and has alot of awesome and cool looking games like Resident Evil 4 and Battalion Wars. I don't own a Gamecube, but if I ever was going to buy another console, it would be a Gamecube.

XBox has better graphics.But on the other hand,Playstation has the Final Fantasy series, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi, Raw vs Smackdown and Pro Evolution Soccer5(i know Xbox has it 2 but i find it easier to play in the PS)

Edited by figos

Well, I've played a fair bit of xBox (my brother and best mate own one) so I can recommend a few titles:

- Fable: Great RPG, a little like Zelda

- Halo: Obviously. One of, if not the greatest shooter of all time

- The Thing: Pretty good atmospheric little thriller

- A Fistful of Boomstick: Evil Dead for xBox, 'nuff said

- Tony Hawk's Underground: Not the shithouse sequel, the original

- Rugby League: Well, I'm biased, :lol:

I am, and always will be a Playstation fanboy (even though I'm getting a DS over the PSP, but we won't tell anyone that), so I'd suggest the Playstation 2. Although X-Box & GC have the better graphics, you really can't beat the games on the playstation. the GTA series on the PS2 are far better than on the other next-gen consoles, plus you've got FFX, MGS2&3, and games which were original to the playstation like Timesplitters, Burnout, SSX, Tony Hawks, etc. etc.

Playstation is easily the best.

I should be the proud owner of a Playstation 2 (new or used, I don't care) twelve hours from now. My pay is in, and I'm off to spend it all on something that will eat into what little spare time work allows me.

I can't wait! :P

Although X-Box & GC have the better graphics, you really can't beat the games on the playstation. the GTA series on the PS2 are far better than on the other next-gen consoles, plus you've got FFX, MGS2&3, and games which were original to the playstation like Timesplitters, Burnout, SSX, Tony Hawks, etc. etc.

Well, I bit the bullet and did the buy today. For $258 (US) I picked up a new PS2 with an extra controller, 8mb memory card, Gran Turismo 3, Devil May Cry, GTA 3, Fire Warrior, and Final Fantasy X. Not a bad deal, I feel.