NWA 1992 What If?

EWRFan

Flair's House

Crockett:"I cant believe how stupid you are sometimes Ric. You actually went out there and told Mantell to say nigger on TV!!! You know what that means? The network has been calling all day. There goes our main event slot. We will have to settle with the timeslot we have until the bad publicity of that little stunt is washed off."

Flair:"I know, I know....I was just trying to do things the way we did them back in the day. Figures it is not the same on national TV. So I guess we have to scrap the hanging angle...."

Crockett:"Yeah about that. I talked it over with the network and tried to make them understand that this is all part of getting heat and moving the story along. They said we can go trough with it as long as no black persons where hanged. They feel that after the little "nigger" incident it wont be appropiate. I figured we could hang somebody else, maybe the Heat's manager Freddie Blassie. It would still move the story forth."

Flair:"Yeah, I guess we could go with that. I am so pissed right now...I just wanted a little controversy, something different from the cookie cutter cartoons in the WWF and the stupid booking in WCW and it causes us to loose our chance at a main event TV slot...."

Crockett:"Dont stress yourself Ric..this is your first time running a promotion. You are learning on your feet. That's part of the business Ric....that's part of the business."

NWA Professional Wrestling

Your hosts are Mike Tenay and Magnum TA

Live on Fox

From Charlotte, NC

Tenay apologises to the fans as the promised "Professor's Chair" with TNT wont be shown today due to problems with the tape, but it is on for next week. Rookie mistakes by the production team says I.

Too Cold Scorpio vs Bob Bradley

Once again Freddie Blassie joins the commentary team and talks about scouting the participants in this match. Bradley was a former WWF jobber and we expect the same thing here. They lock up and Bradley gets a headlock takedown with a full head of hair, getting warned by the ref. Scorpio fights to his feet and gets a bulldog on Bradley and a quick cover gets two. Bradley complains about a hair pull and turns into a spinning heel kick by Scorpio. Vertical Suplex and Standing Moonsault gets two. They lock up, Bradley with a headlock and now whips Scorpio, he goes over and springs in the ropes and delivers a nasty elbow to the teeth!!! That gets two. Neckbreaker and legdrop gets two. Reverse DDT and Scorpio goes up top....450 Splash!!! Crowd goes apeshit for the move and that gets the three count. As Scorpio walks to the back, Blassie gets up and claps, cheering him on. Scorpio looks his way, but continues walking.

Winner: Scorpio(42,26,59)

- Terry Funk backstage with Scott Hudson. He rips into Kevin Von Erich. "This kid thinks he can badmouth Terry Funk because he doesnt like the way I 'rassle. Kid, I dont care if you like it or not, that's the way I 'rassle and that's the way I will beat you at Bad Intentions where our quaterfinal match kicks off the PPV broadcast". He rips into him some more and leaves, not before spitting Hudson's shoes. (81%)

Duane Gill vs Terry Funk

Can you say Squash? Gill walks into the ring and gets ambushed by Funk. He punches and kicks him a little and then stomps him on the floor. HUGE BACKBREAKER that almost bends Gill in half, then he helps Gill to his feet and plants him with a DDT. He covers and it should have been three, but Funk lifts Gill up at two and then PILEDRIVES him WITH AUTHORITY and that gets three. Duane Gill, RIP. Now Funk proceeds to lock Gill in the spinning toehold as Gill screams and taps the mat. Kevin Von Erich rushes in for the save and Funk bails. Threats are exchanged.

Winner: Terry Funk(51,43,59)

- Ric Flair comes out with the NWA World Title and asks for the mic. Crowd shuts up and listen intently.

Flair:" You know....I have done many terrible things in my life. I have injured wrestlers badly...I have betrayed friends and I have badmouthed a lot of people, so I am not going to come out here and judge Rick Rude based on what he did last week to Rick Steamboat. Ricky Steamboat has been one of the greatest, if not the greatest, opponent I have ever had in this ring. Move by move, Rick Steamboat could hang with Ric Flair anyday.Our matches are considered classics among the fans and every arena in the world knows that if Ricky Steamboat and Ric Flair headline, it will be a sellout. What I am trying to say is that I feel nothing but respect for Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. For three months now, Rick Rude has ruined Ric Flair and has ruined Ricky Steamboat. First, he comes in uninvited and ruins a perfectly good match between the Dragon and the Nature Boy. Then last week in the #1 contenders match, afraid and insecure of his ability to beat Rick Steamboat, Rick Rude like the coward he is, injured Steamboat's neck and put him out for the foreseeable future. I have to admit that Rude is smart, he knew he could not beat Steamboat on his best day and therefore came out and broke his neck. That's fine Rude. But you cant win this title by breaking my neck Rude. You have to beat the man to be the man!!!! You have to put my shoulders down one two three!!! You have to beat the jet flyin', limousine ridin' stylin' and profilin' son of a gun, the one and only NATURE BOY RIC FLAIR!! WOOOO!!! And believe me tough guy, you dont have what it takes. Where I came from, we do things eye for an eye. You broke Steamboat's neck, I will break your legs!!! I will lock you in the figure four until you cry, until you scream, until you beg for forgiveness, until you beg Rick Steamboat for forgiveness Rude!! And even then I wont let go until I hear those babies snap!!! Until I feel your knee come out of it's joint and hear you scream like a little girl!!! Because at Bad Intentions Rude, that's exactly what I have in mind, that's exactly what the Nature Boy has Rude...BAD...WOOOOO...INTENTIONS!!!"

Flair throws down the mic and looks on to the camera with the best "out of control maniac" face he can make. And the crowd digs it too. Face turn for Mr. Flair. (93%)

Ben Jordan & Frankie DeFalco vs The Texas Hangmen/with Dutch Mantell

What a way to kill the crowd...another squash. Jordan and Falco get nothing but a punch or kick here or there. The Hangmen do with them as they please and then end the match with the Hangman's Neckbreaker on Falco. They get their lasso's ready to choke Falco, but out comes Booker T and Stevie Ray to make the save. The Hangmen launch threats at the Harlem Heat.

Winners: The Texas Hangmen(48,28,69)

United States Title Tournament Quater Final Match:

Ronnie Garvin vs Cactus Jack

This is our main event. Punches and Kicks are traded to start us off. Garvin with right hands and he slows down the match with a headlock takedown. Cactus escapes to his feet and takes Garvin down with a drop toe hold and a chinlock. BORING!!!! Jack with punches and Garvin barely sells. Jack misses the Cactus Elbow and Garvin makes the comeback with more punches!!! Vertical Suplex gets two. Jack goes low and gets warned by the ref. He nails the Cactus Elbow this time, but only gets two. Another headlock and Garvin escapes. You can see the ref getting some signals from backstage as he has his sights set on the rampway. The ref walks over to check on Garvin, who is locked in a headlock. Garvin makes the comeback with elbows to the gut and whips Jack, but telegraphs a backdrop and gets locked in....Double Arm DDT!!! Jack covers and the ref counts to three. Rushed and boring match.

Winner: Cactus Jack(55,56,56)

Overall:60%

3.02 rating

808 in attendance

$24,240 in ticket sales

This latest show was a lot better in regards to looking like a real television show from the era, but I'd suggest more backstage interviews.

The one thing about the show that bothered me was that it seemed like you are overly enjoying the idea of the faces running in for the save of the jobber against the heels.

EDIT: Sorry, posted early. Anyways, to expand on my last point...I guess I'd just like to see interviews used more than run-ins.

Edited by Gabriel

• 1 year later...