Ring of Honor 2006: A Smark's Point Of View

Guest -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

Prelude (Out Of Character):

Before I get started, this is my second attempt at this diary. My last one ended because of some personal issues that I don't really want to talk about. That plus school and other things led to the diary's early demise. Time's gone past and I'm ready to try this again.

I'm going to repost my opening statement because I don't think I can write one much better.

I'll do my best to keep this running a lot longer than my other one did. Enjoy!

Guest -De\/ilock-

2005 has been a great year for Ring of Honor. They've maintained their place at the top of the independent wrestling world by putting on high quality shows, and putting them on often. ROH ran an astounding 36 shows last year, well over the average of most independent wrestling promotions. And Ring of Honor doesn't look to be slowing pace in the year 2006 as there are already 9 shows announced for the new year!

***Updated 1/5/06

Philadelphia, PA 1/14/06

Jay Lethal vs. Christopher Daniels

AJ Styles vs. Matt Sydal

Samoa Joe vs. BJ Whitmer

Six Man Mayhem: Jack Evans vs. Jason Blade vs. Kid Mikaze vs. Shiima Xion vs. Jimmy Jacobs vs. Sal Rinauro

Colt Cabana vs. Claudio Castagnoli

ROH Pure Championship: Nigel McGuinness © vs. Alex Shelley

FIP World Heavyweight Championship: Homicide © vs. Tony Mamaluke

Milano Collection AT vs. Austin Aries

Jimmy Rave vs. Jimmy Yang

Dayton, OH 1/27/06

ROH Tag Team Championships: Austin Aries and Roderick Strong © vs. Bryan Danielson and Colt Cabana

30 Minute Iron Man Match: Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels

Milano Collection AT vs. Alex Shelley

ROH Pure Championship: Nigel McGuinness © vs. Chad Collyer

The Iron Saints vs. The Ring Crew Express

Cleveland, OH 1/28/06

ROH World Championship: Bryan Danielson © vs. AJ Styles

Anything Goes Match: Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels

Nigel McGuinness © vs. Milano Collection AT - Will be for ROH Pure Title if Nigel is still champion.

The Iron Saints vs. Sal Rinauro and Tony Mamaluke

Trios Tournament 2006 - Long Island, NY 2/11/06

Matches Yet To Be Announced

Fourth Anniversary Show - Edison, NJ 2/26/06

Woodbridge, CT 3/11/06

Manhattan, NY 3/25/06

Detroit, MI 3/30/06

Chicago Ridge, IL 3/31/06

Chicago Ridge, IL 4/1/06

Edited by -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

Something that ROHwrestling.com doesn't have is a Roster. That has always bugged me. I think fans should know who they have a chance to see whenever Ring of Honor comes to town. So I've compiled my own roster, complete with the wrestlers' respective alignments (whether they are face or heel) and Win/Loss Records beginning after the first show of the year (1/14/06). Now it will never be complete. Ring of Honor's roster is everchanging. So with every change, the roster will get updated! Simple, eh?

Ring Of Honor Main Roster

Bryan Danielson - ROH Heavyweight Champion

Nigel McGuinness - ROH Pure Wrestling Champion

Jim Cornette - ROH Commissioner

AJ Styles

Azrieal

Christopher Daniels w/ Allison Danger

Claudio Castagnoli

Colt Cabana

Dunn

Jay Lethal

Marcos

Samoa Joe

Salvatore Rinuaro

Tony Mamaluke

Generation Next

Austin Aries - ROH Tag Team Champion

Roderick Strong - ROH Tag Team Champion

Jack Evans

Matt Sydal

Jade Chung

The Embassy

Abyss

Alex Shelley

Daizee Haze

Jimmy Rave

Prince Nana

The Rottweilers

Homicide

Julius Smokes

Low-Ki

Ricky Reyes

Rocky Romero

Lacey's Angels

BJ Whitmer

Jimmy Jacobs

Lacey

Part Time Ring Of Honor Stars

Ace Steel

Adam Pearce

Chad Collyer

Delirious

Doug Williams

El Generico

Jason Blade

Jerrelle Clark

Jimmy Yang

Kevin Steen

Kid Mikaze

Matt Stryker

Milano Collection AT

Puma

Shiima Xion (To Debut 1/14/06)

Steve Corino

Sterling James Keenan

Ring Of Honor Wrestling School Students

Anthony Franco

Bobby Dempsey

Davey Andrews - Top Of Class Trophy Holder

Derrick Dempsey

Matt Turner

Pelle Primeau

Shane Hagadorn

Smash Bradley

Edited by -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

More than three years ago, Ring of Honor began as a small independent promotion based out of Philadelphia. Who would've thought that it would blossom into what it is today? A big part of ROH's success has been the way the titles are appreciated in Ring of Honor. In "other organizations", titles have become devalued and seem to jump around from person to person on a seemingly weekly basis. Ring of Honor has made it a goal to raise prestige of their titles. And they have done a good job as the ROH World Heavyweight Title is undoubtedly the most prestigeous title on the independent scene right now. It has been defended across the globe in multiple promotions and the lucky few who have worn the belt have catapulted themselves into instant stardom. In order to give you an idea about who have been lucky enough to hold ROH Gold, I've compiled a complete ROH Title History to help you out.

Ring Of Honor Championship

IPB Image

Current Champion: "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson

Defeated: James Gibson - 9/17/05

Defenses: 8

Past Champions

Won By: James Gibson

Defeated: CM Punk, Christopher Daniels, and Samoa Joe - 8/12/05

Defenses: 4

Won By: CM Punk

Defeated: Austin Aries - 6/18/05

Won By: Austin Aries

Defeated: Samoa Joe - 12/26/04

Defenses: 16

Won By: Samoa Joe

Defeated: Xavier - 3/22/03

Defenses: 29

Won By: Xavier

Defeated: Low Ki - 9/21/02

Won By: Low Ki

Defeated: Spanky, Christopher Daniels, and Doug Williams - 7/27/02

Defenses: 1

Edited by -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

Even though we are beginning a new year, many of Ring of Honor's major issues have yet to be resolved. And what kind of host would I be if I just sat here and expected you guys to figure all of this out on your own? So I'm going to do my best to fill you in on what is going on in Ring of Honor.

- ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson has set out to prove that he is the best Ring of Honor champion of all time. He is well on his way to doing that by announcing his goal to become a "fighting champion" and defend the Ring of Honor title in different promotions across the globe. He's already recorded 8 successful defenses of the title in just over three months as champ. Not bad, eh?

- Danielson is already stemming off into different promotions as well. In fact, CZW Tag Team Champion Chris Hero challenged Bryan Danielson to a match because Ring of Honor decided to run a show on the same day in the same city as Combat Zone Wrestling on January 17th, 2006. Hero was upset that CZW was forced to run their show in the afternoon, while ROH got the coveted night slot. Hero said that if Danielson doesn't show up at the CZW show on the 17th, then he will take matters into his own hands.

- In the last bit of Danielson related news, many are confused as to what Danielson's relationship with ROH's elite heel group, The Embassy, is. After Danielson's successful defense of the title against NOAH star Naomichi Marufuji at ROH Final Battle, The Embassy stood on the ramp and applauded Danielson. I think it'll end up being one of those "You're either with us, or against us" deals.

- How could you talk about Ring of Honor without mentioning Samoa Joe? Undoubtedly the American Wrestler of the year for 2005, Joe looks to take 2006 by storm. But it will be without his protege Jay Lethal who turned his back on Joe on December 3rd at Steel Cage Warfare. Lethal apparently was tired of being in Joe's very large Samoan shadow and decided that he would be better off on his own. I see a big push in the future for Lethal. Even if he does look like a homeless person.

- The biggest feud in ROH recently has been Colt Cabana vs. Homicide. Ring of Honor is making this seem like it's no ordinary wrestling storyline. They have already had three stiff battles over the past few months, but nothing was resolved. If anything, the seriousness of the issue increased. Homicide proved that his name is not just some wrestling gimmick that was thought up to make him look like a hardass when he tried to cut out Colt Cabana's tongue and make Steve Corino drink a gallon of Draino! Nothing like attempted murder to liven a show, that's what I always say. Anyways, Cabana is usually a fun loving guy. But since nearly being disembowled by Homicide, Cabana has begun to take this a little more seriously. One of these days these two are going to have an awesomely brutal match, I can smell it.

- One of the overlooked parts of ROH's Final Battle show was the crowning of new ROH Tag Team Champions in Austin Aries and Roderick Strong. After a violent Steel Cage Warfare match where they came out victorious against The Embassy, Aries and Strong warranted themselves a ROH Tag Team Title shot at Final Battle. And they capitalized. I hope that these two help revamp a ROH Tag Team division that is pretty much dead in the water. I mean, BJ Whitmer can't team with everyone!

- ROH Pure Champion Nigel McGuinness just completed a series of matches against one of my favorite workers Claudio Castagnoli. Nigel came out on top with a few tainted wins and has said that Claudio will not get another shot at the title to the dissapointment of Swissmen everywhere.

Guest -De\/ilock-

When Jim Cornette was announced as Ring of Honor's Commissioner, one of the first things he did was announce that the monthly Top 5 Rankings would be making a return. These rankings rank the top five wrestlers of that particular month based on match quality, wins, and overall effort. Due to the December events being over with already, ROH announced the January Top 5 a little bit early.

Top 5 Rankings (January 2006):

World Champion: Bryan Danielson

Pure Wrestling Champion: Nigel McGuinness

Tag Team Champions: Austin Aries & Roderick Strong

1) Jay Lethal

Wins over Joe and Daniels give him the top spot.

2) KENTA

12/17 match of the year candidate win shoots the NOAH star into the Top 5

3) Alex Shelley

Corino victory and fall over Evans on 12/3 puts him #3.

4) Jimmy Rave

Milano win and fall over Sydal on 12/3 gives The Embassy the 3 and 4 spots.

5) Christopher Daniels

11/19 victory and then strong showing vs. Danielson sneak him into the Top 5

Just Missed: Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, AJ Styles, Ricky Reyes, BJ Whitmer, Steve Corino

Guest -De\/ilock-

2006 is rapidly approaching. In fact, this will be my last post until the New Era Of Honor officially begins! When the ball drops in Times Square, Ring of Honor will start what is sure to be it's best year yet. Hopefully the year that will let it break out and become a true powerhouse in the wrestling world.

As we leave 2006, I would like to give you a few more guidelines on what is going on in Ring of Honor at this very time.

You may be wondering, where does he get all of this information from? It's quite simple really. ROHwrestling.com posts a newswire that is updated quite frequently. ROH doesn't have a television deal or even an internet webcast, so it relies on the rather "old school" method of text based news. In this newsline lays the information that Ring of Honor fans need to follow this great federation. In fact, right now I'm going to fill you in a little bit more about what you need to know concerning ROH's next few shows. This is from this past week's newswire.

December 20th: Samoa Joe has challenged BJ Whitmer to a match. Lacey, on behalf of Whitmer, has accepted and the bout will take place on 1/14 in Philadelphia!!! Joe wants this match since Whitmer hit him with a chair when Joe was about to pin his rival Christopher Daniels last Saturday. Joe wants to teach Whitmer a lesson for hitting him in the back with a chair. Lacey sees this as a huge opportunity for Lacey's Angels.
Edited by -De\/ilock-

I like it. It's not really the stereotypical smark, just someone who likes ROH more than anything else around today. In other words, me.

Cornette stated that he hadn't seen a malicious attack since Terry Funk tried to suffocate Ric Flair with a plastic bag in 1989.

Guest Phenomenon

No, I believe that Cornette quote is taken directly from his video address on ROHWrestling.com where he said exactly The quoted.

I'm really amazed at how Cornete ROH Commisioner (In real life) is a way different side of Cornette than I've ever seen before.

I'm also looking forward to reading this diary as I want to see where you would take the booking from here, I've always thought that Final Battle does a good job of pretty much clearing the slate and finishing most of the feuds, now we can see what you think the big feuds and breakout stars will be in 2006

Edited by Phenomenon

Well Dev bro, you have yourself a good start again, and I am hoping this time the diary sticks. I have seen some of your work before from WNW, and that was good IMO, so I am expecting this work to be even better. You have a nice detailed set-up of everything so far, and you really make it easier for non RoH followers to read this diary. I am really looking forward to see how you go from here, and who you push into the main event scene. I am really looking forward to seeing Roderick Strong be pushed in here like he is starting to be in real life, as well as Colt Cobana and Homicide. But for now, I will remain on the sidelines reading until a show is actually up.

Cheers.

Guest -De\/ilock-

Happy New Year!

IPB Image

1/1/06

Happy New Year EWB! I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday. I know I did. Santa treated me well. I received three new Ring of Honor DVD's and the brand new Christopher Daniels "Second Coming" T-Shirt. I also got one of those Video iPods so there is no moment in my life that I will have to be without my beloved ROH.

My aunt, knowing my love of wrestling, bought me tickets to the WWE house show that passed through my hometown of Pittsburgh last Wednesday. I was going to sell the tickets, but since my aunt gave them to me I figured that I'd go. You never know, maybe Punk would show up! Well Punk didn't show up. The show was awful. None of the workers put forth any effort. And to make matters worse I had to sit there and watch John Cena go over Kurt Angle. Lame!

Whoa, kinda got sidetracked there with all of my holiday festivities. There are more important matters to worry about. For instance, the New Year edition of the ROH Newswire has begun!

ROH Newswire Week Of 1/1/06

January 1: Happy New Year from everyone in Ring of Honor! ROH's New Year's Resolution is to continue to bring you, the ROH fans, the best professional wrestling in the world today! This year Ring of Honor hopes to grow even bigger than it already is! And we cannot do that without your help! We thank you for supporting Ring of Honor and hope that you continue to support us throughout the new year!
Edited by -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

1/2/06

I couldn't make this post fast enough today. The reason? Chris Hero has responded to Jim Cornette's comments! Yes, Hero made a post on his LiveJournal regarding ROH Commissioner Jim Cornette's comments that he made about Hero's previous comments at the CZW show. ROH posted Hero's LiveJournal entry on his website.

I've safely returned from Europe, another birthday has come and gone and Christmas of 2005 is upon us. I have some things to discuss and what better place than the wide and webby world that is the Internet.

In 2004, I reentered Combat Zone Wrestling as the Savior. I quickly turned things around and nabbed the Ironman title with relative ease. My record breaking title reign was ended at Cage of Death 6 and 2005 opened up on a sour note. I lost to Jon Dahmer and, as you all know, it can't get much worse than that. I saw how events were unfolding and decided to take matters into my own hands. Claudio Castagnoli and I captured the CZW Tag Team titles from a supposedly "unbeatable" tandem of pure bred lunatics, Mr. Insanity and the Necro Butcher. The unbeatable were beaten. The hero saved the day and in doing so, I had made my way to the peak of the mountain, once again, and reclaimed my duties as the bona fide Savior of CZW.

Just as many wrestlers before me were intimidated by the "big and bad" reputation of the Necro Butcher, just as many individuals have been browbeaten into actually believing that the "big and bad" promotion, Ring of Honor, is the end-all and be-all of Independent wrestling. I am living, breathing, walking and talking proof that you can be a success without playing politics and without having to kiss anyone's ass in the process. Heroes don't kiss ass and heroes don't back down. I didn't back down from Necro Butcher and I will not back down from Ring of Honor.

I have done battle with the finest wrestlers ROH has to offer and I have come out on top, more often than not. Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, CM Punk: All former champions and I hold victories over all of them. You can be sure that the only reason I haven't beaten Low Ki, Xavier and Jamie Noble is because I've yet to face them. That brings us to Bryan Danielson. Now, I'm man enough to admit that he American Dragon is a superb wrestler. Perhaps even one of the best wrestlers. Unfortunately for him, Chris Hero is the best. It's a proven fact. Ask Bryan who bested him at last fall's TPI.

After my match at Cage of Death 7, I verbally brought salvation to the Combat Zone. I stood directly in front of the impending danger and destruction and I said what everyone else was afraid to say. As the Savior, I represent CZW wholly. My skills are unmatched and I know I am the best they have to offer. I am CZW's David to ROH's Goliath and my challenge is 100% firm. I have nothing to be afraid of.

Bryan, if you have the guts, you know where to find me on January 14th. And if you don't have the guts, I am fully prepared to walk through the fire to meet you and take what is rightfully mine. And once I have that title, I will bring it to the Combat Zone and demonstrate my very best Jimmy Jacobs impression. John Zandig will have the trash can ready for me.

January 14th, 2006: CZW, ROH, take your pick or pick both. Long live the Savior!

-CH

Edited by -De\/ilock-

This isn't bad, but I find it kind-of boring. This isn't really much of a diary, since you've just talkign about storylines in the real promotion, using their newswires and such. I'd much rather see you have your own newswire, your own cards, your own storylines, etc. That's what people read diaries for: something different than reality.

Guest -De\/ilock-

They'll get more original. I'm starting from where ROH left off. Everything after this upcoming show will be original.

Actually, my last two posts weren't copied from the site. I may have "borrowed" some ideas, but I did not copy the newswires from ROH in my last two posts.

Thanks for the comment!

I like it. I don't comment much, but I'm a big RoH fan and it's been a while since I've seen a really realistic story done on it. The New Jack stuff is funny, but I'm interested to see who actually shows up for the tag title match (both in reality as well as here).

I agree that the daily newswire updates are spreading it a bit thin. I don't even really check the actual ones daily. I maybe look twice a week since not much gets updated day-to-day. The stuff that does is usually news on a sale on merchandise or something.

Anyway, I think posting your thoughts on the weekly newswire is definitely the way to go. It gives a little depth to each post as well as speeds things up.

Best of luck in continuing. Looking forward to the first show. :)

Guest -De\/ilock-

1/3/06

Hello again EWBers! Thanks for continuing to read my diary. I understand that it's a little bit boring right now, but things will get moving shortly. Since it's a rather routine day over at rohwrestling.com (the only thing that's been updated is the newswire *yawn*), I've decided to take this opportunity to do my rendition of The Ring of Honor Awards.

Since the year has just began, it's not to late to take a look back at what the year 2005 gave to us. To all of my readers, feel free to respond to this with your own predictions.

So without further ado...

The 2005 Devilock Awards!!

Welcome to the Devvies! Heh, catchy ain't it? Anyways, like most award shows, the "lesser" awards will be given first. Then the show will end with a grand finale of sorts with the naming of ROH's MVP of 2005. So let's get started!

ROH Storyline Of The Year:

This award easily goes to CM Punk Winning The ROH Title, Then Turning Heel. Easily the most publicized Ring of Honor feud in it's history. Nobody thought Punk was going to win. And what made it spectacular is that all the obnoxious smarks (not me of course...) littered the ROH boards with complaints because they were fooled. Brilliant!

ROH Breakout Star Of The Year:

Roderick Strong gets the nodd this year. I was tempted to choose Jimmy Rave, but Strong just had a tremendous year. He went from the third most popular member of Generation Next to one of the top contributers in Ring of Honor. He had absolutely fantastic matches against Bryan Danielson and James Gibson. And as a result of his efforts, he is getting a large push.

ROH Heel Of The Year:

While Rave's performance was not enough to garner him Breakout Star Of The Year, Jimmy Rave has earned Heel of the Year honors. Rave's ability to make everybody hate him without really doing anything is insane. There is no bigger heel in Ring of Honor than Jimmy Rave. I mean come on, the guy gets toilet paper thrown at him whenever he enters the ring!

ROH Face Of The Year:

Of course when you have ROH Heel of the year, naturally what comes next is ROH Face of the Year. In Ring of Honor, wrestlers often tend to be "shades of gray" when talking about their alignment. But there is one worker that was a true blue, hard working, honorable babyface the entire year. That man was James Gibson. How can you not love a guy with John Deere on his trunks. Gibson also takes home the award for Best Promo for his tearjerking promo after his match at Stalemate. "I'm just standing here with my dick in my hand". Said in a flawless West Virginian accent. Sean Connery eat your heart out.

ROH Show Of The Year:

Now there were many great shows to choose from. But my favorite has to be Manhattan Mayhem. Every match on the show was solid to awesome. Lethal vs. Joe, Punk vs. Rave, Aries vs. Shelley, Gibson vs. Rocky Romero. And the surprise main event of Homicide and Low-Ki vs. Samoa Joe and Jay Lethal was an awesomely chaotic brawl.

ROH Match Of The Year:

No, not Joe vs. Kobashi. That match was great, but not the best. My ROH Match of the Year was Low-Ki vs. KENTA at December's Final Battle show. It might be because I am more of a KENTA mark than a Kobashi one, but if you watch that match you can tell that both men are giving it their all. And when you are talking about guys like Low-Ki and KENTA, their all is a whole damn lot. Their match was just as stiff as Joebashi, but with more innovative spots and false finishes. So very exciting.

ROH MVP Of 2005:

Here is the moment you've all been waiting for. Envelope please!

And the Devvie goes to...

*opens envelope*

JAMES "BY GAWD" GIBSON! Gibson had the best year of anybody in ROH. After being released by the WWE, Gibson came into Ring of Honor with limited expectations. I didn't think he'd remember how to wrestle after all of those years of being brainwashed by WWE and WCW. But rest assured he turned his career around and had one hell of a year. Gibson had outstanding matches with Austin Aries, Roderick Strong, Bryan Danielson, CM Punk, and even BJ Whitmer! Plus Gibson won the Ring of Honor World Title before leaving to go back to the talent sucking machine known as World Wrestling Entertainment. By the looks of things he'll be back shortly.

Remember, you can reply and post your own awards if you've followed Ring of Honor this past year. Now let's go to that newswire...

Newswire For The Week of 1/1/06

January 3: We were scheduled to receive yet another video response from Commissioner Jim Cornette to Chris Hero today, but ROH World Champion Bryan Danielson called Cornette and told him not to worry about it. Danielson then said that he himself would make a statement this Friday (1/6) concerning the situation with Chris Hero.

Guest -De\/ilock-

1/4/06

Hey guys. I know that I've only been doing this diary for like two weeks, but this is a whole lot of work. I just don't have the time to do these newswire updates daily. So instead, starting next week, I'll do weekly newswire updates! Every Friday I'll be reviewing the week's Newswire happenings. This will start next week.

Right now let's get to the Newswire for January 4th.

Newswire For The Week Of 1/1/06

January 4: It has been revealed that the first person Bryan Danielson has asked to be his partner for his match on 1/27 in Dayton is Colt Cabana. We expect to hear Cabana's response later in the week.
Edited by -De\/ilock-

Guest -De\/ilock-

1/5/06

Yesterday, ZAK416 requested that I bring in Xavier. Well, I'm just a fan. But I for one hope that Ring of Honor brings Xavier back sometime soon, if only for a little while. I mean, Xavier was a former ROH champion! You'd think that if they thought highly enough to put their world title on Xavier they could find SOME place for him in the company...

I like doing that stuff, answering fans comments. I always promote reader participation in my diary. So if any readers want to hear my thoughts on anything Ring of Honor related, just post and I'll say what I have to say. Ring of Honor always tends to what the fans want to see, unlike another wrestling company that we all know *cough*WWE*cough*. If there is enough feedback, I could start some kind of mailbag segment one day a week or something.

Back to Ring of Honor related subjects. Another slow news day here. The only update on the site is the Newswire. I was going to post another awards thing, but I think I might save that for later. Remember tomorrow will be Bryan Danielson's response to Chris Hero! So without further ado, here's ROH's Newswire for Thursday January 5th.

Newswire For The Week Of 1/1/06

January 5: Colt Cabana has gladly accepted Bryan Danielson's invitation and will be his tag team partner on January 27th. They will go up against Austin Aries and Roderick Strong with the ROH Tag Team Titles on the line.
Edited by -De\/ilock-

I'm really liking this. :)

Just a suggestion though: perhaps at the end of every day, or week when you get to that point, you could post an updated card for the coming events.

RoH's site has something similar to this and it helps keep track of the newswire storylines, at least for me. They usually outline the next three cards or so. I imagine as a writer, it'd help keep things together as well, but I'm sure you have your own system worked out already.

Cabana's as good a choice as any for AmDrag's partner, but I'm really hoping the Cabana/'Cide feud continues as it's pretty damn compelling.

Until the next update...