Web Design Stuff

As a favour to my dad, and as part of my A Level Graphics Project, I'm building a website for the fantasy football league my dad runs every big tournament (this one is for FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany). I know all the basics and things of web design and have been able to build decent, but simple, sites before. Now, though, I'd like to develop my knowledge and add some snazzy features to this website.

First of all, I'd like to add something cool to the 'Latest News' section of the page. I've seen a lot of the same thing on several websites recently where there's three news stories and they have pictures and text in a small area and after a few seconds it changes to the next story. Here are some example of what I'm talking about: NBA.com, NFL.com, TottenhamHotspur.com and Goal.com. I'm guessing this is quite a complicated code, but I would love to have this feature on the site so if anybody can point me in the right direction to using it, I'd much appreciate it.

Also, I need a way that my dad can easily update the site with news and stuff. The only way I could think of originally was to copy the HTML into Word and bold the parts he had to change so he didn't have to go shifting through all the code. Then I remembered about a PHP thing I used ages ago but I can't remember what it was called. It let you log in to a site and post news onto your site, doing all the HTML for you (once you'd set it up) and it was just like posting on a forum (you had the bold, italic, underline buttons as well as emoticons and whatnot). If anybody could show me something similar or an alternative, that'd be great.

They have used Flash to get the effect you're after with the transitioning images.

As for the news script, you could use PHPnuke but I have found it to be very clunky and a pain in the arse to modify the skin in a way dramatic enough to make it any different than the 50 billion other PHPnuke websites out there.

I have no idea what it is, but try this one. It looks like what you're after.

http://www.scriptdungeon.com/script.php?ScriptID=168

If it's not, search google for a free php news script.