League vs Union

TheArsenal

Ah, okay. Since nobody except draggx gives a crap about the Grand Final, I suggest the ZOO Magazine Grand Final Drinking Game (it's in this week's issue with Nikki Webster on the front). One dangerous suggestion is to shot/skoal every time Ray Warren or Phil Gould say something stupid (warning: you may be blind before kick-off). Also, shot/skoal everytime they cross to Vossy or Matty Johns for a sideline comment that could easily have been said in the commentary box.

EDIT: And I totally forgive Nikki Webster for "Strawberry Kisses". Goddamn.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anti-Hero

It's a pity I had to relocate back to the country, as grand final weekend is traditionally a huge pisser for me. This time around it'll just be me and another mate watching it and cheering for Newcastle and Newton in the Jersey Flegg/Premier League finals :lol:

The WARL (Western Australian Rugby League) grand final program last week contained the announcement that the WARL is putting into place plans to have a team competing in the QLD Cup within the next few years and to put in an official proposal for a place in the NRL for 2011 (for entry at some point after that, probably 2012 or 2013). This would probably be in addition to proposals from Wellington and possibly the Central Coast.

With the NRL basically saying that any Central Coast side will need to be a permanently relocated Sydney side (not a visiting Manly side) and the fact that the NRL seems keen on combatting the AFL's expansionist moves - a Western Australian/Perth side seems a likely future addition to the NRL. But that would give the NRL seventeen sides.

The major candidates for a 'second' expansion side would be the Wellington Orcas or a second Brisbane team (akin to the Crushers) or perhaps a Sunshine Coast side. Adelaide seems like a lost cause due to the fact that its population is set to decline soon. Whilst Central Coast is a growth area, it would be another NSW side in an already saturated NSW market, and it's a rugby league heartland in no legitimate danger of changing. Soccer isn't as popular there as some would think, rugby union is facing a crisis with the potential defection of South African teams from the Super 12, and the AFL's next two expansion targets are Western Sydney and the Gold Coast.

So, if Perth were to get the next NRL franchise as expected, who would be a possible eighteenth side?

id love to see perth have a side back, and curous as to why they choose to join the QLD Cup? i love the qld cup and all but curious as to how non-qlders view our great comp...

as for the 18th, id LOVE sunshine coast to have a team but cant see it happening for the 18th id like to see a second NZ team thou NZ seems to be union based so that would proberly fail, a second brisbane team wouldnt last either as brisbane is a 1 horse town (no pun intended) i find the gold coast may even struggle if they dont have a cracker first season.

an 18th team needs to come from either victoria or even long shot here but give PNG a team maybe? or have rocky enter

Guest Anti-Hero

The 17th team should clearly be last year's Jim Beam Cup winning Windsor Wolves :shifty: Actually, there's talk of Penrith using it as a feeder club. The skipper of last year's final winning team (Brett Finn) is now Cronulla's Premier League hooker and halfback Craig Trindall is now the Penrith Premier League halfback.

For those saying Brisbane is a one horse town, I think you'll find that far from accurate. The South Queensland Crushers drew average crowds of over 21,000 in their opening season, and they only suffered due to the Super League war clouding things some. If Sydney can support eight teams, Brisbane could easily support two.

As for New Zealand, the ratings for trans-Tasman tests and the tri-series are actually better than those of the Bledisloe, so there's obviously the interest. I'd like to see the Warriors revert to Auckland and the Wellington Orcas (as they'd proposed) take things up out of Wellington.

Sunshine Coast wouldn't be a bad idea, although Brisbane's population (even split between two sides) gives it an advantage. Brisbane only has one rugby league quality stadium though, and that's being used by the Broncos. So if there were two Brisbane absed sides, they'd both have to play out of Suncorp.

There's always been talk of a Papua New Guinean side, but the issue there is the instability of the economy and the political situation over there. The fact that it's the only country in which rugby league is the national sport is a huge thing in its favour, but the average person can't afford to realistically support a football club.

This is the second least interest grand final of the decade (for me) after the Bulldogs vs. Roosters final from a few years back. I don't hate Brisbane to the degree I hate Cronulla, Sydney, or Canterbury - and I don't like Melbourne as much as I liked the likes of New Zealand, Penrith, and obviously Newcastle in the past.

The game lacks a distinct underdog, which is essential when you're a neutral fan. The Broncos are going in as underdogs from the bookies, but the Storm's side doesn't look like a premiership winning one (not to say it won't be). I guess I'll cheer for Newcastle in the upcoming Flegg final (bolstered by the news we've managed to re-sign all but one of them), try to stave of boredom during Newtown/Parramatta, and then go for Melbourne simply because they're not (technically) from Queensland.

Bring on the tri-nations, I say!

First of all, congratulations to Brisbane (mostly Webcke, as I dislike most of the Broncos') on a sixth premiership. It was a tremendous effort after a pretty shaky season. I think the premiership gives Brisbane the record of having won the premiership with the most regular season losses.

That said, I have to give special mention to the refereeing of Simpkins and Harrigan. For the most part we've been lucky to never have any truly 'bad' calls ruin a grand final. I can say that tonight there were two clear cut incorrect calls that ruined things. One was Berrigan's very clear shepherd being ignored and Brisbane being awarded a penalty that turned into two points, and the second was Hodges knocking the ball into touch yet Brisbane being awarded the feed. The latter cost Melbourne a set of six in Brisbane's territory at a time when they could have equalised. I've also got my doubts over the Matt King no-try. It looked to me (and most I've spoken to) that Hodges was the one to knock on.

All in all I had an enjoyable day of drinking and hanging out with mates. Newcastle's narrow 22-20 loss in Penrith was entirely their own fault, and the Newtown/Parramatta game was unexpectedly entertaining.

Bring on 2007 and the Tri-Nations

Found this over at LU and thought it might amuse some people. Here's mine. Delete mine and put yours in.

(No particular order within groups)

1-16 after R26:

1-4: North Queensland, Melbourne, Canterbury, Brisbane

5-8:Newcastle, Parramatta, New Zealand, Gold Coast

9-16: Penrith, Manly, St. George/Illawarra, Cronulla, Wests, South Sydney, Sydney, Canberra

Minor Premiers North Queensland

Grand Finalists North Queensland & Canterbury

Preliminary Finalists Brisbane & Melbourne

Semi Finalists Newcastle & Parramatta

Qualifying Finalists Gold Coast & New Zealand

Wooden Spooners Canberra

Dally M Jonathan Thurston

Clive Churchill Medalist Sonny Bill Williams

SOO QLD 2-1

ANZAC Australia

October New Zealand

A few explanations. I think the Cowboys' season this year was an anomaly brought about by injuries to key players and heavy State of Origin involvement, and I think they'll bounce back from that. Melbourne haven't lost any significant players (Hill, IMO, isn't what he used to be) and will be there again, likewise Brisbane and Canterbury. The Knights will benefit from the performance of their Flegg team this year, as well as Brian Smith shaking things up a little. Joey will be out to impress in what should be his final season. Parramatta will also benefit from a change of coach, and this year's performance will be no fluke. Gold Coast will start strong and falter late, while New Zealand will be hard to beat at home and struggle on the road. Penrith to miss Preston and Manly will miss Ben Kennedy's influence a lot, and I think that will see them start the season slowly and recover too late. Saints have lost too much star power to be the threat they have been in previous years, but could finish slightly higher. Cronulla and Wests will be also rans in a mediocre season for both clubs, while Souths will show marked improvement but not win enough of the tight games. Their time is still to come. Sydney will continue to struggle under Braith Anasta's ineptitude, and Canberra won't be able to deal with the loss of Schifcofske, Croker, and Smith.

Queensland's recent abundance of talent (due largely to Melbourne, Brisbane, and North Queensland all being in form) will see them take out the Origin series again, and I think it'll be the Cowboys vs. Canterbury in the grand final, with the Bulldogs likely winners.

No Order...

1-4: Roosters, Melbourne, Warriors, Broncos

5-8: Eagles, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Cowboys

9-16: Panthers, Titans, Raiders, Dragons, Tigers, Sharks, Knights, Eels

Minor Premiers: Sydney Roosters

Grand Finalists: Manly Sea Eagles vs. Sydney Roosters

Preliminary Finalists: Brisbane Broncos & New Zealand Warriors

Semi Finalists: Melbourne Storm & North Queensland Cowboys

Qualifying Finalists: South Sydney Rabbitohs & Canterbury Bulldogs

Wooden Spooners: Newcastle Knights

Dally M: Jamie Lyon

Clive Churchill Medalist: Matt Orford

State of Origin: QLD, 2-1

ANZAC: New Zealand

October: Australia

Some interesting selections there, Truth. Is Chris Beattie's signature what's going to turn Sydney from second last strugglers to minor premiers? Or is it the appointment of Chris 'Where's My Kimmorley' Anderson?

1-16 after R26:

1-4: Melbourne, Manly, Dragons, Bulldogs

5-8: Wests, Newcastle, Brisbane, New Zealand

9-16: North Queensland, Souths, Gold Coast, Raiders, Sydney, Parramatta, Penrith, Cronulla

Minor Premiers: Melbourne

Grand Finalists: Manly & Bulldogs

Preliminary Finalists: Melbourne & Newcastle

Semi Finalists: Dragons & Wests

Qualifying Finalists: Brisbane & New Zealand

Wooden Spooners: Cronulla

Dally M: Jamie Lyon

Clive Churchill Medalist: Steve Menzies

SOO: QLD 2-1

ANZAC: Australia

October: Australia

IMO, Anderson is one of the best coaches in the world today. He gave the Sharks there best chance to win a premiership after he left, but Raper just fucked that up now didn't he. Also, they have a very good forward pack next year, even though they did sign Beattie. But they also signed Myles & Nutley, so that helps them out alot.

Also, they will be good for depth next year as well, due to those three signings. Plus, they will have Mini back in the team.