WEST WING: DOCHAPPY VS THEMYSTIKFOOL

Dochappy versus TheMystikFool

Story: You've been accepted as a freelance graphics artist by a film company, and they want you to design for them a promotional poster for their upcoming movie, _________. The design will be featured in movie theaters wherever the movie is being shown, so they especially want you to do a good job with it.

Basic Rules: Create a movie poster for whatever upcoming movie you'd like or, if there are none that you're interested in doing, create one for your favorite movie. Take a look at actual theater promotional posters for movies before you make one, though... remember: the more professional the design, the better the results.

Restrictions: Credits for the film are optional, but you MUST have the names of at least one or two main actors/actresses featured in the movie featured somewhere on the poster, as well as the name/logo of the movie itself.

Size: 600x860

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

DOCHAPPY

-------------

Pros: I like the tree and the way it is with the cabin in the background-- a nice setting to really capture a darker mood for a movie AND to even capture a scene from it, which I thought was clever. There's a nice balance of colors at the top of the poster, too.

Cons: The hell is with the logo-- it's way too bright for such a dark and dreary looking poster. I'd suggest lowering the contrast on it, make it a bit more dull but not so dull that it gets hard to read in the background. I didn't really mark you off for it, but I'd just like to say I'm kinda dissapointed that there's a lack of any characters at all on the poster... I don't know why, but the way you set it up I think it'd have been great to have had Ash right dead in the center of the graphic.

THEMYSTIKFOOL

-------------

Pros: Credits and the logo are superbly done, I love the balance there.

Cons: So many of the pictures used have abrupt cut-offs on them, making things look really shoddy. For example: the main cut is missing half of it's right arm (left arm on the screen), all of the upper pictures seemingly end at a sharp spot, rather then slowly transition into darkness or the next image. The green pictures are much too green and bright in comparison to the rest of the poster, too.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Dochappy's was well done, but that logo just killed the whole atmosphere of it for me. I think with a better designed logo (really, even if you just dulled down the brightness of the red it'd look better like I said...) and even with a shot of Ash in the center, it'd look great as a poster. Yet as the way it is, it stands as average, yet would still catch my attention in a theater. I wouldn't stare at it too long, but it'd catch my attention.

TheMystikFool's just seems poorly done, unfortunately... with pictures and cuts having those sharp spots where the edge of the picture is clearly visible, the off-setting bright greens of those middle pictures... it just came off really poorly, unfortunately. The design itself shows potential, but for it to work there should be less pictures used, better transitions between them, duller greens for the pictures and the main cut NEEDS to be smoother, and not have half it's arm missing. Honestly? I think it'd have been great to just have that main cut, full and without any abrupt edges, and have wax sort-of dripping down the background... seems like that might get the effect across better.

In the end, Dochappy is the winner of this contest and will be moving onto the next round. Good efforts from the both of you: and Mystik, remember to always use cuts without edges on the body parts you'll be using in the graphic. Good effort, better luck next time, and congrats to Doc!

Congrats Mystik on a good battle . I loved the way you did the main text and the overall feel of the credits . if it wasn't for the edges of the top pics the graphic as a whole would mae a perfect movie poster.

I tried putting Bruce in the graphic but no matter what I tried it looked crap lol I even thought about putting like a bloody chainsaw coming from the side but in the end it looked cheap.

Yeah, that tends to be the hardest part with posters, man... finding a good shot of a character for it.

You ever heard of generetic? They've got some nice official posters uploaded there... you might could find some good stuff to use with any designs you do later on, actually. Here, let me link you to their poster archive:

http://www.generetic.org/artwork-archive/b...images.php?c=13

Edited by The Mask of Norro

thanks for the link . I'm just wondering about copyright issues though. I guess as long as I don't use it for commercial work then I should be ok

For the most part all you'd have to do is cut the pictures out-- though I doubt you'd be making posters as commercial work when the movie already has a theatrical poster, you'd be out soliciting your skills to the companies that need designers for said posters :P

Oh you meant that-- no, generetic has them for open use. You can literally use the posters for DVD cover designs and everything dude, they don't mind.