EAST WING: CSAMH VS SLIMLAYZIE

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster versus Slimlayzie

Story: A record company has been searching for freelance designers to submit their ideas for the jewel case cover to one of their top bands latest CD releases. This does not include the back or spine-- only the front. Based on the design of the front, they will pick the top designs and ask the artists to submit the full design to them for the decision.

Basic Rules: Design the front jewel case cover for an upcoming album from a band, or if you can't find any that you like, your favorite album from a band. Only the front, though... we'll take baby steps for the first round.

Restrictions: Has to include the name of the band and the name of the album somewhere. Including the logo of the recording company is optional.

Size: 550x550

Deadline: Sunday, March 26th

I'll pin my colours to the mast early on.

One point though, my image host is walagata which is changing to a pay only service. I will pay when required but am holding out until then so if my account there is deleted for a day or so the image will vanish but I will bring it back ASAP...

post-216-1142898088.jpg

Ladytron - "Simplicity"

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

One point though, my image host is walagata which is changing to a pay only service. I will pay when required but am holding out until then so if my account there is deleted for a day or so the image will vanish but I will bring it back ASAP...

Don't you have uploading privelages here?

• 2 weeks later...

CHRISSTEELEATEMYHAMSTER

-------------

Pros: It has a really kickass oldschool feel to it... reminds me of 80s rock bands, actually. The balance is nice, it has a sort-of abstract feel to it which I really like. Easy on the eyes, attention drawing... very nice work. Surprisingly, that lens flare isn't all that bad either... normally they look tacky, but I couldn't see the cover working as well without it.

Cons: Your 'ladytron' font effects suck for the rest of it. The blurred black stroke and the thick glow outside of the font just makes it look tacky. Considering how crisp everything else looks, it would have been nice to have a crisp logo and title, rather then a blurred one from the effects used.

SLIMLAYZIE

-------------

Pros: If it would have sucked, I didn't have to see it.

Cons: Hamster gets through by default, and here I was hoping we wouldn't have default wins. Thank you.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Obviously ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster wins, but like I promised, I'm giving my opinion. As I said in my judging, you did a great job giving the cover an old-school feel about it. Not sure if it was intentional, but it was certainly appealing. It would have all been great had the font effects been better, as the font selection actually worked with the cover.

Make the font more crisp, maybe add just a little bit more contrast on the red in the font to make it a bit brighter, get rid of the blurred stroke and make it more solid... and I think it'd look alot better.

Edited by The Mask of Norro