DIGITALLYFADED VS KEITH CLARK

digitallyfaded versus Keith Clark

Story: An up-and-coming company in your area is looking for graphic designers to update their current logo to fit more 'modern' standards. Along with this, they're looking for a sample of the logo on a business card, and it's up to you to make that happen.

Basic Rules: Design a logo for a fictional company of a product, and design a business card for yourself as the said company's freelance graphic artist.

Restrictions: Obviously must include the name of the company on both. For the business card, include a name, address, phone + fax number, and an email address (all may be fictional)

Size: Keep logo sizes below 600x600(that would be a hi-res logo). Business card size should be 500x300

Deadline: Tuesday, April 11th

Edited by The Mask of Norro

fictional company of and product?

Whoops, meant to read "of a product"

My mistake, sorry

Guest digitallyfaded

post-12155-1144279993_thumb.jpg

Well it's not my best work by far and I'm likely to either totally rework it or just make some minor changes before the deadline but here it is. Crits would be appreciated for ideas on how to fix it at all before the deadline :)

post-12155-1144279993_thumb.jpg

Guest Jules

You missed out on the logo bud.

Basic Rules: Design a logo for a fictional company of a product, and design a business card for yourself as the said company's freelance graphic artist.

Guest thederekeffect1

Nice. I won't give you advice as I think that it would be unfair to Keith. There's some cons, but I will say this... It definatly makes me want to go back and redo mine (which is pretty much done, I'm just waiting to upload it).

Changed a couple things, noticed the point on the tail was angled the wrong way compared to the rest of the tail.

Changed the business card around a bit as well.

post-50-1144599268_thumb.jpg

post-50-1144599859_thumb.jpg

post-50-1144599268_thumb.jpg

post-50-1144599859_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ALLDAWSON'S JUDGING

DIGITALLYFADED vs KEITH:

DIGITALLYFADED

-------------

Pros: I like the picture of the guitar and the colouring of the business card. Size of the text and font chosen is great. Logo is unique.

Cons: I prefer my logos simple although this one isn't too bad. The logo on the card looks very jaggy. Placement of 'We Know Our Gotham Music' and 'Repairs, Sales & Lessons' should be better, more away from the edge to start.

KEITH

-------------

Pros: The logo is pretty cool, particularly like the S's tail. Love the logo adaptation on the card. Text stands out well enough.

Cons: Background maybe is a little too overpowering on the card. At first glance I didn't like the logo, although a few more looks and it grew on me.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Close one this. Both have their pros and cons but I think the deciding factor here is digitallyfaded's logo on the card. It's too jaggy for what I think should be one of the main focal points. Therefore, Keith edges this battle for me.

WILDCAT'S JUDGING

DIGITALLYFADED VS KEITH CLARK

DIGITALLYFADED

PROS: I love the logo, I love the image and I love the colors used on the image.

CONS: Text placement could have been a bit better and the Repairs, Sales & Lessons tag line is very hard to read.

KEITH CLARK

PROS: Awesome logo, and I like the placement on the image as well as the background.

CONS: I really don't have anything bad to say about this at all, maybe adding a tag line or a slogan but even thats not really needed.

Judgement: This is probably the hardest choice in the 2nd round of votes so far but I think KEITH CLARK takes it just becuase I didn't find one thing to say about it and i did have one small visibility issue with DIGITALLY FADED's. Which in a competition is a bad way to go out but in a battle this close the biggest small thing is the diffrence maker. I give KEITH CLARK my vote.

MY JUDGING

DIGITALLYFADED

-------------

Pros: I'm absolutely in love with your logo design. It's creative, it's unique, and it's superbly pulled off. The red music notes add a bit of flavor to it as well. For your business card, the text is legible and I think you made a nice selection.

Cons: I hate how you've taken that great logo of yours and done with it what you have, it really puts me off because it just doesn't look all that great. The way 'Repairs, Sales & Lessons' cuts under the contact information isn't all too appealing either. Also, the 'We know our' text cuts far too close to the edge.

KEITH CLARK

-------------

Pros: The way you've done your logo is unique and, in a disturbing way, cute even. Font selection is superb, the way you've added the tail to the s and stuck 'records' in-between the E and S just words excellently. For the card, it works great as a graphical business card. Your font placement is great, your text is legible, and the placement of the logo is quite beautiful to be honest. All in all, excellent job.

Cons: It took me quite awhile to figure out if there was anything wrong with this peice, and in the end I simply decided... there wasn't anything wrong. You did an excellent job, though to be honest I would have liked to see a slogan of some sort somewhere on the card, it's not exactly 'neccesary'.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Digitallyfaded's peice is excellent, I love how he pulled off the logo and I really do like the thought behind the business card... but the execution of the business card is what drags it down. The logo then goes from looking great on it's own to bad on the card, the font placement is way off in certain areas... it just really drug it down.

Keith's was brilliantly pulled off, straight down from the idea behind them both to the execution of said idea. Placement is perfect, design is perfect... I'm in love with it as a whole.

Both designs were great, but I just believe that Keith's was head and shoulders over digital's.

Keith Clark advances on to the west wing semifinals! Thank you for participating, digitallyfaded, you did great! Keith, congratulations!

Guest digitallyfaded

Congratulations Keith. Also Thanks for the opportunity to be in the Tournament Norris :) Had fun and made my best work(ever) in the First round.

Good luck in the rest of the tournament Kieth.

Edited by digitallyfaded