ADRENALINEJUNKY VS FOURSTARFIZZLE

adrenalinejunky versus fourstarfizzle

Story: A company is looking for billboard designers in your area to create a billboard design either promoting their company, an idea it supports, or an event being held by them. Not only do they want to see your proposed design, but they also want to see what it would look like on a billboard *before* it goes up on one!

Basic Rules: Create a billboard design for a company, an idea (pro-life/abortion, equal rights, etc.), or an event (circus, fund raiser, etc.). Then, take your design and find a picture of an actual billboard. Using that billboard, replace the design already on it with your own in as realistic a fashion as you can.

Restrictions: Make it clear what your billboard is stating: if it's a company, include their name, address, and a phone number to reach them by. If it's an event, include it's name, date, ticket pricing(if any) and where it's held. If it's an idea, you don't have to *say* what the idea is, but you should make it apparent as to what it represents.

Size: Billboard design should be 900x500. There is no size limit to the billboard you place your design on, so long as it isn't smaller than 500x300

Deadline: Tuesday, April 11th

Not neccesarily, msot of the billboard designs I've seen have the company name/logo with the address in smaller print under it. A phone number is generally then isolated in the far lower right hand corner.

At least, that's the majority of the billboard designs I've seen.

However, tell you what: If you want to come up with something different for the design then go ahead. Looking at it, it's a bit tight a rule set there, and not all company billboards do have that-- just the majority of the ones I've seen.

So yeah, go ahead and forego those, just be sure to include some form of contact info (or a web site to obtain said info from as you suggested) along with the company name, that's the only restriction I'll keep.

• 2 weeks later...

ALLDAWSON'S JUDGING

ADRENALINEJUNKY

-------------

Pros: The stars are a nice idea. The cut of the rollercoaster is pretty good. I wasn't too keen, initially, on the blue text's glow but it makes it stand out on the actual billboard.

Cons: I'm not exactly sure what it is, perhaps the simple-style but it looks a bit amateurish. I also thought the rollercoaster was a cake upon a first glance. Maybe that's just me with weird eyes. Actual billboard version is a bit blurry.

FOURSTARFIZZLE

-------------

Pros: I really like the style, which is very professional, of the close-up image with the front of the car being proper focus and the rest being blurred away. Colour scheme is nice. Love the text spacing/positioning in the top left.

Cons: The glow around the 'R-Coupe' isn't very attractive. Actual billboard version seems to stick out more than it should. Perhaps a fading of colours would make it fit in better or something.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

Neither is a bad graphic and both have done the actual billboard placements quite well. FSF wins this one for me, his design just seemed more professional all around.

WILDCAT'S JUDGING

ADRENALINE

PROS: I like the overall feel of the piece and I really like both the logo and the text throughout. It also fits really well on the billboard size used.

CONS: The blur on the coaster is a bit too heavy and I would have liked the overlay of the stars to not go through the coaster. The right side needs to be cleaned up a bit as all the overlays running into each other is too busy.

FOURSTARFIZZLE

PROS: I really like the concept and it has that feel of luxury that Jaguar is supposed to convey. I also like the text on top as well.

CONS: As much as I love the concept its also a bit strange, It doesn't show off the car enough and if seen when moving down a highway I dunno if I would even be able to tell its a car right away.

Judgement: I loved both designs but the crispness and more professional look of meeting exactly what I would expect from a Jaguar billboard is just a little better and gets the nod. I vote for FOURSTARFIZZLE.

MY JUDGING

adrenalinejunky

-------------

Pros: The logo and the stars behind it are awesome. Easily shows what the billboard is trying to advertise to the viewer, and gives clear and easily legible information regarding it.

Cons: The roller coaster is a tad bit TOO blurry due to the motion blur you've done. I get what you were trying to accomplish through it, but it doesn't seem to have came off all that great. Also, the cutting on the edges of the 'coaster-- while really nice in some areas-- are also pretty damn rough in others. I also don't like the gaussian blur on the text, but I'm not sure what I'd have used to make it stand out with instead really. Finally, the transition onto the poster is a bit off... the semi-black outline around the lower and right hand edge just seem strange to me, doesn't blend into the image very well.

fourstarfizzle

-------------

Pros: Almost exactly what I'd expect a billboard advertisement about a car to convey. Nice logo placement, nice motto/website placement, and very nice picture brings it all together for an excellent piece.

Cons: However, at first glance it's tough to tell exactly what the billboard is about. I'd have gone with a 'full body' shot of the Jaguar. It works great though, you really did a nice job capturing it... just think it'd be better if it was a bit more recognizable as a car.

MATCH OUTCOME

-------------

adrenalinejunky's reminds me alot of a theme park billboard I saw once down here in Florida... professional quality, but it does have it's setbacks.

FSF's *also* reminds me alot of a car advertisement I saw, though that advertisement had more of the car in the shot. Just like AJ's... it was very professionally done.

This was a close battle between two top-notch competitors... but in the end, I have to give fourstarfizzle the nudge, as his is just above AJ's in terms of professionalism and quality.

AJ, you've been awesome in the tournament... sad to see you go man, especially after all the damn no-shows. Thank you so much for participating and supporting this tournament, you've been great :)

Congratulations FSF, you've advanced to the east wing semifinals!

Congrats FSF. Obviously, his was miles better than mine. Perhaps if I'd have known we'd had an extra 24 hours I would've give him a better challenge. As it was, I rushed mine in just to get something in before the deadline.

FSF vs Keith in the final, calling it now.

FSF's was great as it's the kind of advertising Jaguar work with. Their product and name and logo especially are so wll known that they tend to focus on particular parts, a logo, an image, to portray the vehicle. It's not like a SEAT or a HYUNDAI. Jaguar KNOW the car will sell, it's about putting across the lifestyle, the style and the concept which is what FSF's did. Well done. (Y)