WCW 1991 by TGC

TGC

Not much to add as I read this when it was originally posted and it's still awesome, but I do want to point out that three way matches happened as early as the 60's and 70's in some territories. They weren't common at all, but it wasn't something completely unknown for the time period either.

I'm a little saddened to hear this is the last of the full write ups until you hit June game time. I was really digging this diary. If it gets you to newer shows faster then I have no real reason to complain.

As for your TNT question, I believe it started in 1988 but didn't start becoming the premier network until mid 90s. It started off showing mainly old movies that Turner owned at the time (he bought the library of several films and pissed everyone off when he added colour to them - WWF even mocked this once).

I am fan of you telegraphing angles and events. That was a very big 80s and early 90s wrestling thing to do. It wasn't until the Monday Night Wars when 'swerving' really became a common part of wrestling. I'm not saying there wasn't shocks before then but I am saying it wasn't a common practice. Honestly, your booking is pretty true to the time period as long as I ignore a few small details (like the stacked shows).

And 4 ways! I say you should have saved doing a multi man match for the World title or something special. Since the matches would have been relatively unheard of at the time. They shouldn't have been blown off on something so minor.

Clash of the Champions was marvelously built to. I'm disappionted to know that I won't get a full write up on it. The show should be really solid and a lot of great potential stories coming out of it.

I love the Zenk & Pillman stuff. I enjoyed the segment were Zenk really wanted to team with Pillman but Brian told him they shouldn't ever be a team again. It's looking like Zenk will wish he stuck to Pillman's words.

Austin is fantastic. I loved him in real life when he first debuted and I love him in this diary. Though despite what a few readers have said, Austin was actually pushed really well by WCW for his first few years. It wasn't until Hogan arrvied that Austin really got screwed over. Even the premature break up of the Blondes did more damage to Pillman than it ever did to Austin (who shortly after got the US title). He was clearly being groomed for the World title.

You know the Russian Sickle is a lariat, right? You keep on saying Nikita applies the Russian Sickle which makes me think you're envisioning a nerve hold of some type.

I sort of got an overdose of your shows so I'm having a hard time remembering everything that I just read. I'm sure I'll comment on things when it comes back to me. Great stuff. I am really looking forward to when you get to the new material.

WCW Clash Of The Champions (01-27-91)

-Jim Ross and James E Cornette are the hosts of the show, and Cornette announces that a scheduled match between The Midnight Express and Pillman and The Z-Man won’t take place, and as such Vader meets The Z-Man. It's a basic squash, which also has Pillman once again watching his partner and smirking when he gets destroyed. Afterwards Harley Race, Vader's Manager, can be heard yelling "Where's The Competition?" over and over.

-Beautiful Bobby Eaton defeats Al Snow. However near the end of the match an eye gouge goes bad, legitimately injuring Snow and the finish is rushed. Afterwards Beautiful Bobby raises Snow's arm, which gets applause from the crowd, but makes Cornette angry.

-The Fabulous Freebirds defeat The Steiners to win the WCW US Tag Team Titles with help from a loaded purse from Missy and Tammy.

-At 14 minutes and 37 seconds Stunning Steve Austin pins Ricky Morton to retain the WCW TV Title. Cornette is very happy.

-Kimberly becomes The Diamond Doll when she turns on Liger and Muta and joins The Diamond Mine helping them score the win. Afterwards she sprays hairspray in both their eyes and a beat down commences.

-The Horsemen (AA and Tully Blanchard) defeat Doom in the WCW World Tag Team Titles Street Fight Elimination Match when both members of Doom are eliminated leaving The Horsemen standing tall.

-Luger successfully defends his WCW US Title against both Sid and Koloff. Sid is taken out of the match early by Koloff, and remains on the floor as Luger hits his Torture Rack Slam (similar to an F5) to retain. Afterwards Paul E. Dangerously makes his dramatic return to WCW leading Ravishing Rick Rude to the ring. Rude attacks and destroys Luger.

-In the WCW World Heavyweight Title Match, Sting and Flair wrestle to a Double DQ when Flair gets The Figure Four locked in on Sting on the floor and they both miss the ten count. After the match AA and Tully come out and join Flair in laying a beating on Sting.

The big plan for January was to push new talent, such as Stunning Steve Austin, Al Snow, and The Diamond Mine, while repositioning older stars in new areas. Overall the small changes we made and the transition back towards more main stream wrestling as opposed to the Black Scorpion type of gimmicks were a success. Unfortunately Al Snow was injured at COTC, thus putting his immediate push on hold for awhile. When he did return, his spot had been filled.

A solidly booked COTC. I forgot to remark in my last post of how great it was to see Tully and Arn reunited. I'm getting a sneaky feeling that Sid may soon be replaced too. I'm hoping it isn't by Ole Anderson because he's too old at this point to fill his role properly. Plus I was never really a big fan of the guy. Another point, the 4rth position should be filled by one of the 'futures' of WCW. I'd vote Austin except it looks like he's destined to be aligned with Cornette which is a pretty solid pairing. Though off the top of my head, I can't think of another really solid addition. Of course, I'm jumping the gun because Sid may not be going anywhere. I'm just sensing it because he hasn't been holding his end of the bargain lately and the Horsemen don't tend to tolerate such things.

Really stinks about the injury to Snow. I liked the show of respect that Eaton payed to Snow after the match but too bad such a rub has been wasted since Snow is sidelined. Maybe Eaton will move on to a feud with Stan Lane since it's obvious you're bringing him back and Eaton most definitely seems to be going face now.

Love the debut of Rick Rude. A Rude v. Luger contest was a dream match for me as a kid. Now, I finally get to see it. . . errr, read it. Heyman shouldn't be too pleased that he has been replaced by the Body in the broadcast booth. Are we going to witness the Dangerous Alliance a year early? With the same very similar. very 'NWo-ish' storyline? I hope so. Though the stable may lose some power with the Horsemen already existing.

Interested to see were Vader calling out more competition goes.

Love the slow build with Pillman and Zenk. Very similar to how things would be played out during this time period. Keep up the interesting and slow story telling.

Kimberly heel turn was so easy to call. But that isn't a bad thing because telegraphing was the expected during this time period. Plus she works better with the Diamond Mine than with the Japanese team.

I didn't think Flair would win tonight. Not sure why. I had a feeling you'd save it for the next PPV. The finish almost screams rematch and maybe with a gimmick? I'd say Flair is ready to take that title now, though.

Oh yeah, Cornette being upset with Eaton raising Snow's hand tells me that Jimmy might be bringing in Stan Lane to teach him a lesson on being a heel. It looks like Cornette will be forming himself a stable too. Wow, there is a lot of heel stables in this WCW. That isn't a bad thing because it was actually pretty common during this time period. Especially since there was a very distinct pecking order with lower card, mid carrd and main event being very well defined. It makes sense to have a stable for each position.

Keep on bringing me those months. I'm aching for the full shows again.

Well, I'll give you my thoughts on the recapped COTC...

Too bad the match got canceled, it could have been decent, and built the Pillman/Zenk feud better.

Eaton is all good again, hmmm...well I didn't expect that. I thought if Eaton would go over, he'd cheat to win and continue the feud.

Freebirds win, I expected it. I hope this moves The Steiners up to the World Tag Titles (I still think thats a step up...right? :P) As you seem to NEED a face team up there.

Yay, Austin.

Ahaha, I should have expected the turn by Kimberly, I'm actually disapointed in myself for not. I'm happy The Diamond Mine went over :D

Horsemen make it 1/3 on the night, hmmm...

I'm actually quite glad that Luger retained, Koloff isn't good enough to have the title, nor does he need it and Sid can be a monster else where. I'm glad that Paul E is back, and Rude should be solid as well.

Draw, interesting, I like it. These two are the only two that can really go at it for the title, despite how overdone the feud always is. Hopefully you can continue to build some solid things out of it while you build up some stars.

-

I'm looking forward to see who takes Snow's spot, the next month should be fun to watch unfold.

The big plan for January was to push new talent, such as Stunning Steve Austin, Al Snow, and The Diamond Mine, while repositioning older stars in new areas. Overall the small changes we made and the transition back towards more main stream wrestling as opposed to the Black Scorpion type of gimmicks were a success. Unfortunately Al Snow was injured at COTC, thus putting his immediate push on hold for awhile. When he did return, his spot had been filled.

WCW 1991: The Rebirth Years by thegodcomplex

February 1991

February began with even more planned changes. We had successfully begun the transition towards a more youthful roster, while not forgetting the already cemented stars of WCW. The "old timers" that had been dominating the shows during the Herd and Ole era were for the most part done, and the few that were scheduled to make their returns were destined to hold Midcard spots, with the job of putting the younger guys over. The money situation was good, as WCW made money in its first official month as an entity outside the NWA. Everything looked good for the new month and the first PPV of 1991, WrestleWar '91. However one problem did come up, and it was a doozy. TBS was upset over the growing violent nature of the show, especially for WCW Worldwide which aired in a mid morning time slot. Meetings were held with Ted Turner himself, and the decision was made to cancel WW in the last week of February and attempt to hold back the more violent aspect of Saturday Night until a decision could be made. The last thing Turner wanted was for his new company to not be on television in its opening months. We agreed, although the battles continued between the three of us and TBS throughout the entire month as to exactly what "the more violent aspect" was.

WCW Saturday Night (02-02-91)

-Stunning Steve Austin retains his WCW TV Title against Steve Armstrong.

-Jesse Ventura features Cornette and The Midnight Express as guests of The Body Shop, where they verbally attack Beautiful Bobby about his actions the past month with Al Snow. Beautiful Bobby confronts the quartet, and tempers flare.

-Ron Harris defeats Brian Pillman, doing the twin brother swap with Don Harris several times in the match. The Z-Man rushes down to help his "friend", but it's a failed attempt as he walks into The Harris Bomb. Afterwards Pillman again walks over his fallen partner’s lifeless body.

-Sting is interviewed by Mike Tenay, and he says that was Ric Flair's LAST title shot.

-The Horsemen (AA and Tully) successfully defend their newly won WCW World Tag Team Titles against the new team of The Z-Man and Brad Armstrong. Afterwards The Z-Man berates Armstrong on being a bad Tag Team Partner.

-Doom and Teddy Long come to ringside and invoke their return match clause for tomorrow night, however it turns out that Teddy signed a No Re-Match clause, and that includes them. Doom turns on Teddy and Powerbomb him on the concrete as The Horsemen walk off.

-Ricky Morton defeats Beautiful Bobby due to a distraction by James E. Cornette.

-Paul E. and Ravishing Rick Rude talk about how Rude came to WCW for one thing, the WCW US Title. Paul E. says The Dangerous Alliance is coming.

-Vader gets a hard fought and stiff win over Rick Steiner. He attacks afterwards, but Scott makes the save telling Race and Vader that he's the competition they seek.

-Nikita Koloff defeats Sid Vicious when Paul E. and Rude interfere. The Dangerous Alliance is born. Sid is mad, but simply walks off.

WCW Worldwide (02-03-91)

-Steven Regal defeats Pillman, who looks and wrestles bad.

-Tenay interviews Pillman, and The Z-Man interrupts. The Z-Man convinces Pillman to tag up again next week, and if they can't win he will never bother him again. Pillman accepts, if for no other reason than to get The Z-Man to leave him alone. The Z-Man mentions having a mentor that is helping him, and that he believes the two of them can help Pillman get over his depression as well.

-Liger and Muta defeat The Midnight Express (Rose and Condrey) when Beautiful Bobby trips up Condrey.

-Austin is interviewed by Tenay about his win at COTC and Cornette's interest in him, as well as his Title Match tonight.

-The Diamond Mine squash The Texas Mustangs, then The Diamond Doll is officially introduced as a part of TDM.

-The first "Who Is Jeff Jarrett" video airs, showing a man defeat a ton of other wrestlers, but not showing his face.

-Austin retains his TV Title against Scott Steiner when Vader and Race come in and Steiner is attacked.

WCW Saturday Night (02-09-91)

-With Pillman at ringside and looking less than enthused, The Z-Man loses to Nikita Koloff.

-The Dangerous Alliance is interviewed by Tenay, where Paul E. challenges Luger for WrestleWar '91 on behalf of Koloff.

-The Fabulous Freebirds retain their WCW US Tag Team Titles against The Steiners, who are both attacked by Vader during a ref bump.

-Beautiful Bobby is the guest this week on The Body Shop, where he is attacked by Cornette's Midnight Express, and the new member of Camp Cornette, Stunning Steve Austin.

-The Midnight Express defeat The Texas Mustangs.

-Flair is interviewed by Mike Tenay. Since the WCW World Title Match was a Double Count Out, Flair calls for a rematch at WW'91 in a No DQ/No Count Out Match.

-Ricky Morton defeats Sid in a huge upset. Sid goes insane following the match and demolishes Morton.

-Stunning Steve Austin BARELY scrapes by Ultimo Dragon to retain his TV Title.

-The Horsemen retain their WCW World Tag Team Titles against Sting and Luger. Sid attempts a run-in, but it backfires and he is taken out by Sting. However Koloff gets Luger on the floor and AA pins Sting.

WCW Worldwide (02-10-91)

-The Diamond Mine defeat The Armstrongs with the help of The Diamond Doll, not that they needed it.

-TDM is interviewed by Tenay, and they challenge Next Gen to a re-match from last month's loss in their first Tag Team Match. They also say they will be watching their match later on.

-The Steiners are outside the WCW offices in this pre-recorded interview where they are holding a contract for Scott to face Vader at WW'91.

-The Texas Mustangs get a win over Next Gen thanks to a run-in by The Diamond Mine. All three teams brawl afterwards, but TDM walk off victorious.

-In a re-match from last night, Austin again barely squeaks by Ultimo Dragon thanks to help from Cornette.

-Cornette is interviewed by Tenay, and many matches are made for WW'91, including the match Flair requested for the WCW World Heavyweight Title and The Horsemen defending their World Tag Team Titles against the US Tag Team Champions, The Freebirds.

-The second "Who Is Jeff Jarrett" video airs, this time showing his home town in Tennessee as an old teacher talks about how great he was as a child, and what a fabulous adult he's grown into. Again he is not shown.

-Pillman and The Z-Man get a win over The Midnight Express. The Z-Man spends VERY little time in the ring during the match, and looks confused that they won once it's over. Pillman is ecstatic.

WCW Saturday Night (02-16-91)

-Rick Steiner gets a count out victory over Sid, who attacks the ref after the match.

-Cornette sets up a WCW TV Title Number One Contenders Match for later tonight.

-The Horsemen retain their WCW World Tag Team Titles in a match against Liger and Muta. The Fabulous Freebirds run-in and attack Liger and Muta after the match is over.

-The Four Horsemen confront Sid on The Body Shop about his losses as of late and question whether he is Horsemen material, then say he has one week to get his act together or there will be repercussions. Flair then says he will defeat Sting at WW'91, no matter what he has to do.

-Beautiful Bobby pins Steven Regal to become WCW TV Title Number One Contender. Ricky Morton and Ultimo Dragon were also in the four way match. Following the match Camp Cornette attack Beautiful Bobby in the aisle way, and Regal helps. Morton and Dragon come back out to help and run off the five men.

-The third "Who Is Jeff Jarrett" video is shown. More wrestling footage appears as a nameless wrestler claims that Jarrett taught this "Old School Wrassler" a thing or two and praises him. The video then says everyone will find out who he is at WW'91.

-Rude and Paul E. come to the ring immediately after the video, and Rude places an open challenge to ANYONE in WCW to meet him in his debut WCW Singles Match at WW'91. He also mentions that he's sick and tired of seeing these videos about Jeff Jarrett.

-Luger gets a DQ win over Ric Flair in a Non Title Match when The Dangerous Alliance rush down and attack Luger, who had Flair locked in The Human Torture Rack. The three then lay into Luger afterwards.

-Sting retains his WCW World Heavyweight Title against Nikita Koloff. Afterwards Flair returns the favor to The Dangerous Alliance and attacks Sting with a steel chair. Flair and Koloff are in the ring standing over the fallen Sting and Flair reminds him he's taking the title, no matter what he has to do.

WCW Worldwide (02-17-91)

-Steven Regal defeats Ricky Morton.

-Regal is interviewed by Tenay and he challenges Beautiful Bobby to a match next week.

-Cornette and The Midnight Express are now with Tenay, and they challenge Pillman and The Z-Man to a rematch later tonight.

-Liger and Muta defeat The Fabulous Freebirds in this WCW US Tag Team Titles Match by DQ when The Diamond Mine interfere. A beat down occurs, but The Texas Mustangs make the save running The Freebirds and TDM off.

-TDM are with Tenay, and Page says that TDM have beaten every team they've encountered thus far and deserve the Tag Team Titles shot. Tenay brings up Next Gen, and Hall and Nash glare and walk off.

-Pillman and The Z-Man are interviewed by Tenay about tonight's rematch with The Midnight Express. Pillman is his old self, he thanks Z-Man for his help, and then says the two of them will have no problem defeating The Midnight Express a second time.

-Austin gets a win over Sid to retain his TV Title. Sid is livid again, and he tries to accost the ref, but he escapes.

-Pillman and The Z-Man defeat The Midnight Express when The Z-Man, who had not tagged in the entire match as he was "distracted" by Cornette, gets the tennis racket and stands ready behind Pillman with it. Pillman turns and Z-Man swings, but Pillman ducks and Z-Man nails Condrey who was coming from behind with a second tennis racket. Pillman gets the pin and celebrates, while Z-Man looks confused, but smiles.

WCW Saturday Night (02-23-91)

-Eaton defeats Regal. Afterwards Austin rushes down and attacks Beautiful Bobby and is soon joined by Regal.

-Austin and Regal are with Tenay, and Austin says he'll have no problem beating Beautiful Bobby at WW'91.

-Scott Steiner defeats Sid. Afterwards Scott walks off, and as Sid is holding the ref by the throat the rest of The Four Horsemen come down. They confront him and say he's just not cutting it, then threaten him if he doesn't just walk away now. He gets in their face, but Barry Windham returns and destroys Sid alongside the rest of The Four Horsemen. Sid is out of The Horsemen, which is now Flair, AA, Tully, and Windham. Windham then challenges the other Steiner to a match. Windham proceeds to defeat Rick Steiner.

-Rude and Paul E. are with Tenay, and Rude says no one has accepted his challenge for WW'91. Just then Al Snow returns from injury and accepts the match.

-AA and Michael P.S. Hayes wrestle to a no contest due to interference from Tully and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin.

-The Midnight Express confront Pillman and Z-Man and another rematch is set for WW'91.

-Snow joins Luger and Sting with Tenay for an interview about tonight's Main Event.

-Vader defeats Scott Putski. Afterwards Scott Steiner runs in and the two brawl.

-Flair, Rude, and Koloff defeat Sting, Luger, and Snow when Rude hits The Rude Awakening on Luger. A huge brawl erupts afterwards.

WCW WrestleWar '91

-The final "Who Is Jeff Jarrett" video airs claiming everyone will find out in 2 hours.

-Vader defeats Scott Steiner cleanly and decisively. He goes for an attack afterwards, but Rick saves him.

-In the WCW World Tag Team Titles Match, the champions, The Horsemen, defeat The Fabulous Freebirds when Tully uses Missy's loaded purse. For the second month in a row The Horsemen play faces in their Tag Team Titles defense.

-Ravishing Rick Rude defeats Al Snow.

-The Midnight Express cost Beautiful Bobby Eaton his TV Title Match against Stunning Steve Austin.

-Lex Luger retains his WCW US Title against Koloff. Rude attacks Luger afterwards.

-The Midnight Express defeat Pillman and The Z-Man when Z-Man begs for the hot tag, then leaps off the apron and walks off, leaving Pillman alone.

-Jeff Jarrett is set to debut in the ring in an interview with Mike Tenay, but The Dangerous Alliance attack him on his way out of the back and demolish him.

-Ric Flair wins the WCW World Heavyweight Title from Sting due to interference from AA, Windham, Tully, Paul E., Rude, and Koloff.

February was considered a success for the most part, even though backstage we continued to deal with TBS as well as Sid Vicious, who simply refused to go along with almost anything we asked. His "injury" at the hands of The Four Horsemen was worked to get him off of TV for awhile, although he continued to be punished at house show matches where he made a “miraculous return” to lose at the hands of a member of The Horsemen. The plan was ineffective, as became more obvious in the coming months. Business wise WCW had another positive month as our public image rose and the company made money.

Next...March 1991

March 1991

March came in with the knowledge that we were down to only one two hour wrestling program as TBS and Ted Turner made the decision to cancel WCW Worldwide. WCW Saturday Night was on the bubble, as TBS officials and those of us in The Terrible Trio and other areas of WCW management fought and argued over what was considered acceptable. After some issues with Brad Armstrong regarding his desire and his performance, at the start of March we released him from his contract. His response was to show up in USWA very shortly thereafter and "shoot" on WCW and its management. In another area of the wrestling community New World Championship Wrestling opened its doors. For WCW on TV in the five short shows we had before Clash Of The Champions: March Madness aired on TBS we wanted to try and continue the movement from the older established guys towards the younger stars of tomorrow as well as define our Tag Team Division as strong. In most respects we failed.

WCW Saturday Night (03-02-91)

-In the first match of a mini tournament to determine the WCW US Tag Team Titles Number One Contenders, Next Gen defeat The Harris Brothers. The Diamond Mine rush in after the match and destroy Next Gen. They then say that they will finally get their rematch with Next Gen next week and they will once and for all show that getting beaten by them was a fluke.

-In a match about respect made by James E. Cornette, Stunning Steve Austin and Steven Regal meet for the WCW TV Title. Eaton rushes out and attacks Regal, thereby giving him the DQ win but not the title. Cornette, Austin, and Regal attempt to get revenge but Eaton runs off. Cornette then makes a match for next week with Regal and Austin vs. Eaton and any partner he can dig up.

-Liger and Muta beat The Texas Mustangs to advance in the mini tournament. Doom returns and attack Liger and Muta afterwards.

-The Fabulous Freebirds are interviewed by Tenay regarding the US Tag Team Titles situation. The Steiners walk up and make a challenge seeing as how Vader interfered in their rematch. The Freebirds tell The Steiners to earn it.

-The Steiners defeat the Midnight Express. The Freebirds attack afterwards.

-Vader defeats Brian Pillman in what is basically a glorified squash. Race wants competition for Vader, and wonders why the big guns in WCW are afraid to meet his monster.

-Barry Windham defeats Al Snow due to interference from Nikita Koloff. Snow is beaten down until Jeff Jarrett makes the save.

-Paul E. Dangerously introduces The Unholy Alliance, consisting of The Dangerous Alliance (Rude and Koloff) and The Four Horsemen (Flair, AA, Tully Blanchard, and Windham). They say that they can't be beaten.

WCW Saturday Night (03-09-91)

-The Diamond Mine defeat Next Gen here to advance in the mini tournament. TDM show their feelings as they destroy them after the match then throw them from the ring.

-Ultimo Dragon defeats Don Harris, despite an attempted Ron and Don switch.

-Austin and Regal, who is officially a member of Camp Cornette now, discuss how easy it's going to be to defeat Eaton in their tag match since he has no one in WCW who likes him enough to back him up.

-Tenay interviews Pillman, who is livid at Z-Man for his betrayal two weeks ago. He says he'll get his revenge, for Z-Man to watch his back, and that he wants a match at COTC:MM.

-Z-Man defeats John Hawk by cheating. Pillman runs in after the match but Z-Man runs away.

-Eaton brings out Ricky Morton as his Tag Team partner, which shocks everyone. Austin and Regal get the win due to interference from the Midnight Express. A two team beat down takes place until Sweet Stan Lane and Robert Gibson make their returns to WCW and make the save. Afterwards with Tenay, the two teams say their long standing animosity towards each other is over and that The REAL Midnight Express and The Rock-N-Roll Express are on the same page against Camp Cornette.

-Al Snow defeats Barry Windham in a rematch from last week when Koloff accidentally hits Windham allowing Snow to get the pinfall. Afterwards the two beat him down.

-Vader defeats Bobby Duncum Jr.

-Sting announces he got a rematch for the WCW World Heavyweight Title at COTC:MM, and that THIS TIME he got to pick the stips. He says that it's a Special Guest Referee No Holds Barred Match with a One Hour Time Limit. He says the Special Guest Referee is a former WCW World Heavyweight Champion who doesn't like Flair at all, and the announcement will be made next week.

-Jeff Jarrett and Nikita Koloff wrestle to a No Decision Due To Interference when The Unholy Alliance and Sting, Luger, and Snow all rush to the ring, ending in a huge brawl at ringside.

WCW Saturday Night (03-16-91)

-The Diamond Mine defeat Liger and Muta when Doom interferes. Doom lay out Liger and Muta again afterwards, then say that they are back in the WCW Tag Team Titles hunt, and that they want into this Number One Contenders Match or else.

-The Steiners are with Tenay and they talk about how they are going to destroy The Freebirds and take their belts back.

-The Steiners defeat The Harris Brothers.

-The Unholy Alliance are in The Body Shop with Jesse and talk about Sting's announcement, the Main Event later on tonight, and COTC:MM.

-Flair and Rude team up to wrestle and defeat Next Gen in this super squash

-The Z-Man tells Tenay that he is now Mr. Tom Zenk, and that if Pillman wants him he can meet his benefactor at Clash and perhaps find enlightenment as well, but that there will be no match for the foreseeable future between them.

-Vader defeats John Hawk and Stan Hansen runs in and attacks, sending Vader to the back. Jim Ross and Tony Schiavone talk about the long feud in both Japan and WCW involving these two.

-Austin retains his TV Title against Eaton when Regal interferes. Lane rushes down for the save and proceeds to destroy Austin.

-Sting and Flair meet face to face. Sting debuts the Special Guest Referee, The Man With The Hands Of Stone Ron Garvin. Flair is not pleased.

-Jeff Jarrett and Al Snow defeat Barry Windham and Nikita Koloff after attempted interference by Rude is stopped by Luger.

WCW Saturday Night (03-23-91)

-Vader defeats Bobby Duncum Jr. and then John Hawk runs in and gets destroyed as well.

-Stan Hansen defeats Don Harris. Afterwards Vader runs in and gets the better of Hansen when The Harris Brothers help.

-The Midnight Express (Rose and Condrey) defeat The Rock-N-Roll Express when Regal and Austin interfere. Eaton saves. Eaton and The Rock-N-Roll Express make a challenge to Regal and The Midnight Express for a match at Clash. It is also announced that Austin will defend his TV Title against Sweet Stan later tonight.

-The Horsemen (AA and Tully) retain their WCW World Tag Team Titles against Sting and Luger following a run in by Flair. Garvin runs down afterwards to make the save.

-The Steiners defeat The Diamond Mine, Doom, and Liger and Muta to determine the TRUE US Tag Team Titles Number One Contenders.

-Sweet Stan Lane defeats Austin to become the new WCW TV Champion. The two men brawl all over afterwards.

-Jeff Jarrett and Al Snow defeat Flair and Rude when Jarrett pins Flair following Sting's repayment for earlier in the night.

-Sting, Snow, Jarrett, and Luger all talk about COTC:MM.

WCW Saturday Night (03-30-91)

-Hall and Nash confront Diamond Dallas Page about their loss last week and how they are no longer in contention for the WCW US Tag Team Titles. Page promises them that at COTC:MM they WILL be in a Number One Contenders match as planned, and against Doom and Liger and Muta. They are still very mad at what they perceive to be poor management by him and The Diamond Doll.

-Liger and Muta defeat The Diamond Mine following The Doll's mistake of spraying hair spray in Hall's eyes. Afterwards, The Doll is destroyed by both men as Page looks scared.

-Sting is interviewed by Tenay about his match at Clash.

-Stan Hansen and The Texas Mustangs defeat Vader and The Harris Brothers when Hawk pins Don, keeping Vader's unpinned streak alive.

-Ron Garvin is interviewed by Tenay about his role at the match at Clash and his bad history with Flair. He promises to call it right down the middle.

-Jeff Jarrett defeats Flair in a non title match by DQ when Flair uses a chair. Sting makes the save.

-Scott Steiner defeats Michael P.S. Hayes. Both teams brawl to the back afterwards.

-Regal pins Eaton following a run in by Austin, a save by Lane, and the tennis racket by Cornette.

-Flair is interviewed by Tenay about the match at Clash.

-Luger, Sting, and Snow are defeated by Windham, Koloff, and Rude after Barry nails Luger with the cell phone. Sting and Flair have a confrontation after the match.

WCW Clash of The Champions: March Madness

-A video plays highlighting the multi year feud between Flair and Sting and promising that no matter what, after tonight the two will not meet as long as the other is champion.

-The Diamond Mine defeat Liger and Muta and Doom to get a WCW US Tag Team Titles shot next week.

-Stan Hansen is interviewed by Tenay about Vader, but Vader attacks him and sends him to the hospital.

-The Steiners defeat The Fabulous Freebirds to win the WCW US Tag Team Titles. Afterwards The Diamond Mine lay out The Steiners.

-Regal and The Midnight Express cheat to defeat Eaton and The Rock-N-Roll Express.

-Pillman meets Zenk in the ring and is attacked from behind by Mr. Bob Backlund. The assumption is that he is the benefactor as he locks in The Crossface Chicken Wing on Pillman while Zenk stomps on Pillman's head and shoulder.

-Austin cleanly pins Sweet Stan to regain the WCW TV Title.

-Rude, Koloff, and Windham defeat Jarrett, Luger, and Snow when Rude hits The Rude Awakening on Luger.

-Ric Flair retains the WCW World Heavyweight Title when Ron Garvin hits Sting with a Garvin Left then does The Garvin Stomp. Flair locks in The Figure Four and Garvin lies and says Sting submitted when in fact he did not. Dangerously then hands Garvin a briefcase full of money.

March was looked at by us as mainly a failure. The booking in the Tag Team Division seemed all over the place and unfocused, The Vader and Hansen story failed to spark any interest from the fans, and the many matches between The Unholy Alliance and Sting, Luger, Snow, and Jarrett didn't work. Snow, who simply didn't belong near the top of the card yet, failed to ignite the crowd, and he was poised to return to the Midcard. Our only big success was the WCW World Heavyweight Title situation between Flair and Sting, who put on a Match Of The Year contender. The Diamond Doll, who had caused many problems backstage, was released, only to appear at USWA as Kimberly. On the business side of things the company continued to do well.

Next...April 1991

February Thoughts...

Ahaha, love the Z-Man/Pillman feud, fucking awesome. He messes up every time he tries to help Pillman, yells at his other partners.

With Teddy out of Doom, maybe he'll bring a new team in to fight the old monsters.

Jeff Jarrett!~ (Did I already say that somewhere? :ohwell: )

Steve Austin in Cornette, meh...I'd only toss uncharismatic guys with Cornette, Austin doesn't need much help. Ah well, I'll let it play out.

Al Snow returns, hmmm, looks like he'll do a put over to the upcoming star.

Attack before Jarrett makes his debut, boooooo. <_<

Flair the new champ, interesting, not clean so I can see a return bout, maybe even the switch back.

March Thoughts...

Two big tag team returns, wow...older guys but still, they can make some interest in the division even more after the Cornette feud is done.

I have no clue who the special ref may be, the possiblities are endless!

Ron Garvin, I know you are teh mark for him. (Y)

Jarrett does nothing matches really, other then somewhat avenge the attack :( I'm saddened.

Diamond Mine break up? :( As long as Hall and Nash stay somewhat together, maybe this might even get DDP in action...

Steiners vs. Hall And Nash :wub:

Garvin turns, hmmm...sounds like another disputed finish to get Sting a rematch. I'm looking for this to end soon, you gotta bring some more guys up into the picture.

April 1991

April came to us with more news on the television front. Our deal with TBS was at an end. Much like how we dealt with the cancellation of WCW WorldWide in late February we were now forced to deal with the fact that our version of Professional Wrestling was deemed as too risky and violent for the cable network. On April 2, 1991 we were informed that our last show was going to be on April 20. This left us with a week of no television and no day before hype show for April's PPV WCW Spring Stampede '91. However we were informed by Ted Turner that we were going to be airing two weeks later on TNT in a "temporary" time slot from 10pm to midnight est. Our show, which would be dubbed WCW Saturday Late Night for this show, would then be assessed by TNT programming officials to see where it would ultimately wind up on the cable channel's line-up. While it was good news, it did little to help us get over the fact that following WCW Clash Of The Champions: March Madness on TBS we had only three shows, or six hours, to set up a rather important PPV. Plans began to change almost immediately as much of what we wanted to do couldn't be squeezed into six hours of television. It could BARELY be fit into eight hours. Ted tried to make us understand that many things were happening here, and that while he didn't want his little investment here to get the short end of the stick, in the long run that was EXACTLY what was going to happen. Lucky us.

WCW Saturday Night (04-06-91)

-Stunning Steve Austin retains his WCW TV Title against Robert Gibson. An after the match attack commences led by Cornette involving Austin and Regal and Sweet Stan makes the save.

-Tenay interviews Ric Flair about his "tainted" victory over Sting the night before. Flair says anytime he wins the WCW World Heavyweight Title is a great victory. He is asked about his affiliation with long time nemesis Ron Garvin and Flair responds that it was a business decision made by Paul E. Dangerously and that he had no real involvement in it.

-The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey and Randy Rose) defeat Liger and Muta with help from Cornette's tennis racket. Afterwards Doom once again attack Liger and Muta.

-Harley Race, on behalf of Vader, once again asks if ANYONE can provide competition for his man. Right after that Al Snow makes his way to the ring. He tries to, but in the end it's another win for Vader. Afterwards Stan Hansen attacks with the cowbell and sends Race and Vader to the back.

-Tenay attempts to interview Sting, who says almost nothing, but simply looks upset. Eventually he just walks off.

-The REAL Midnight Express (Sweet Stan Lane and Beautiful Bobby Eaton) easily defeat The Harris Brothers.

-Mr. Bob Backlund brings his student Tom Zenk to the ring and he waxes philosophically on the events of COTC:MM regarding Brian Pillman. He says Pillman is weak now and always has been. He says Zenk came to him to help him become a better professional wrestler, and that is exactly what Mr. Backlund is doing for him. He tells Pillman not to think of what has happened as events for which he needs to get revenge, but rather as an opportunity. An opportunity to join Zenk and his other students under the tutelage of Mr. Bob Backlund. If he refuses then he can meet Zenk in a match at Spring Stampede. If he loses he WILL join.

-The Horsemen (AA and Tully Blanchard) challenge any team that they haven't already defeated since winning the WCW World Tag Team Titles to come out and try to take the belts away from them. When The Skyscrapers (Sid Vicious and Dangerous Dan Spivey) come out The Horsemen back off and head to the back. Sid gets a few hits in, but ultimately nothing much happens.

-The Man With The Hands Of Stone Ron Garvin is interviewed by Tenay regarding his behavior as Special Guest Referee. He is dressed in a NICE suit and carrying the briefcase. He says he is now a very rich man, and that it was worth it. He said he sold his services once before to Gary Hart to take out Dusty Rhodes, and that everyone should have seen this coming. It was nothing personal, and there will be NO match between himself and Sting, it was just all about the money. Sting comes running out, but Garvin takes his briefcase and runs off. Sting follows.

-The Steiners retain their WCW US Tag Team Titles in a match against The Diamond Mine by DQ when The Fabulous Freebirds attack them. All three teams fight after the match.

WCW Saturday Night (04-13-91)

-Ultimo Dragon gets a HUGE win over Tom Zenk when Brian Pillman attacks Mr. Backlund on the floor then trips Zenk up. Pillman decimates both mentor and student afterwards, then says he's refusing the offer and accepting the match at Spring Stampede '91.

-The Midnight Express defeat Doom in a huge upset due to interference by Liger and Muta.

-The Diamond Mine tell Tenay they are going to destroy The Fabulous Freebirds for what they cost them last week.

-Ron Garvin makes his in ring return as an active wrestler when he wrestles and defeats Eric Watts. Sting runs in after and Garvin grabs his briefcase running as fast as he can to get away.

-Rude is with Tenay in a pre-match interview, and he says he has defeated Lex Luger countless times in Tag Team Matches. He says he deserves a WCW US Title shot, which is why Paul E. Dangerously and himself came to WCW in the first place. He then goes to the ring and defeats Al Snow. Afterwards he is beating down on Snow when Luger runs in and makes the save.

-Stunning Steve Austin defeats Ricky Morton to retain his TV Title. Cornette is on commentary, and he says that last week he beat Gibson, this week he beat Morton, and next week he would beat Eaton followed by beating Sweet Stan at Spring Stampede. Then Austin would be DONE giving title shots to The FAKE Midnight Express and The Rock-N-Roll Express.

-The Diamond Mine defeat The Fabulous Freebirds by cheating and with help from Diamond Dallas Page.

-The Skyscrapers are with Tenay and Sid says that what The Horsemen did to him a few months ago has come back to bite them. He has brought back his Tag Team partner to help him work his way through The Four Horsemen one by one, starting with Anderson and Blanchard. He says they get their WCW World Tag Team Titles shot at Spring Stampede since they accepted the open challenge, and they would take the belts. In the ring they defeated the team of Barry Windham and Nikita Koloff with relative ease. The Horsemen run in after the match and a four on two beat down takes place.

WCW Saturday Night (04-20-91)

-Lex Luger retains his WCW US Title against Barry Windham. Rude runs in afterwards, but Luger is able to fight off both men. He then tells Tenay that he accepts Rude's challenge for Spring Stampede.

-Dangerous Dan Spivey defeats Tully Blanchard. AA runs in after for the beat down, which brings Sid out for the save. This leads to Sid and AA in a match which Arn wins with a chain wrapped around his fist.

-The Steiners are interviewed by Tenay regarding their rematch at Spring Stampede against The Diamond Mine.

-Austin retains his WCW TV Title against Eaton. Eaton has the match won, but interference by Regal winds up costing him the win. Sweet Stan once again saves.

-Ron Garvin defeats Brian Pillman when Mr. Backlund and Tom Zenk interfere. Sting rushes in to get Garvin, and beats on all three men in the process. Garvin runs off, leaving his briefcase behind. Pillman tries to thank Sting, but Sting simply walks off with the case.

-Mr. Backlund challenges Sting to a match against Zenk following what just happened, and Sting comes back out with the case. Mr. Backlund is quickly put out of commission by Sting, who wins. Garvin runs out and attacks Sting from behind, getting his briefcase back in the process.

-Two matches are hyped up from earlier this week by the announce team. They took place in Japan, where Eric Bischoff and Mike Tenay were at doing some business. It is announced that a HUGE deal has taken place and it will be announced in a few weeks time.

-From Japan in a Texas Bull Rope Match, Stan Hansen defeats Vader by DQ when Harley Race gets involved continuously and the ref throws the match out. It is a brutal and bloody affair. Race and Vader then DESTROY Hansen after the match.

-From Japan for the WCW World Heavyweight Title, Flair retains via DQ against Jeff Jarrett. The match is nearing the end of a sixty minute time limit when Flair again uses a chair to again get himself DQed against Jarrett. The fans are booing and throwing things at Flair as he walks off with his belt.

WCW Spring Stampede '91 (04-28-91)

-A video airs to open the show featuring the entire feud to date between Lex Luger and Ravishing Rick Rude.

-Sweet Stan Lane defeats Stunning Steve Austin to once again win the WCW TV Title. Regal attacks afterwards and a two on one beat down occurs until Eaton makes the save.

-Ric Flair is the guest of Jesse "The Body" Ventura in a special edition of The Body Shop. Flair says that he's not wrestling tonight due to their being nobody in WCW worthy of getting a WCW World Heavyweight Title shot. When Jarrett is mentioned Flair says that Jarrett is meeting The Russian Nightmare Nikita Koloff tonight. He says that Jarrett got a shot in Japan that was undeserved and blew it. If he wants another shot EVER he needs to prove himself champion material, and that he can start by defeating Koloff tonight.

-Vader defeats Stan Hansen in a No DQ/No Count Out/No Holds Barred Match with relative ease. It is explained that Hansen has a concussion after Japan, but that he wrestled anyways. Vader kills Hansen after the match.

-The Steiners defeat The Diamond Mine to retain the WCW US Tag Team Titles in a clean and even match.

-Brian Pillman defeats Tom Zenk by DQ when Mr. Bob Backlund gets involved and locks in The Crossface Chicken Wing. Pillman is destroyed after, including being locked in a Half Boston Crab by Zenk while Backlund tells him what to do.

-The Horsemen retain their WCW World Tag Team Titles against The Skyscrapers when Arn again uses a chain around his fist to lay out Sid. The Skyscrapers get revenge afterwards with Double Powerbombs and Double Chokeslams.

-Jeff Jarrett defeats Nikita Koloff. Flair attempts to interfere, but it backfires and Koloff is pinned.

-Ravishing Rick Rude wins the WCW US Title in his match against Lex Luger cleanly.

April ended with a few surprises and a few returns, but all in all the most interesting things occurred behind the scenes. Despite the television situation, WCW sent Bischoff and Tenay to Japan to help broker a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling, owned by Antonio Inoki. The deal went through, and suddenly WCW and NJPW were working together. A trade deal was set up involving sending wrestlers back and forth between the two companies, and Inoki himself was worked into the WCW storylines for May to appear on WCW TV. Aside from that there was Sid Vicious. He had been "hurt" by The Four Horsemen a few months prior to hopefully help him work on his attitude. During his off time he had lost various house show matches to Horsemen and Alliance members, but not been on TV. Our hopes were that his demeanor would improve following his punishment. We also brought Spivey back, following a three month stint in rehab, to work with Sid as the always popular Skyscrapers. All that happened was that Sid returned to a big story and his usual backstage refusals to work the way we wanted him to and to put the right people over. His WCW World Tag Team Titles Match at Spring Stampede had been a train wreck, as he no sold everything thrown at him and refused to work the match as it was scheduled. At the end of the month Sid's name was on the list to join Madusa, El Gigante, Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker, and Brad Armstrong as wrestlers we really didn't need anymore. The final bit of shocking news came with the formation of NWA-East Coast Wrestling based out of Philadelphia, PA. Among the first recruits to join this new offshoot of the NWA was Jerry Lawler, who walked out of USWA with the title, then dropped it in the ring and denounced it at NWA Reborn in Philly. He went on to win a tournament featuring Bam Bam Bigelow, Beefcake Booty Daddy, Don Muraco, The Honkytonk Man, King Kong Bundy, Larry Zybysco, Paul Orndorrf, and Tony Atlas to win the NWA World Title. This move left USWA in shambles and immediately positioned NWA-ECW as a major player in the wrestling world, putting the splintered NWA back on the map.

Next...May 1991

April Thoughts...

- Tough deal with the television...

- Sting is going into depression, I hope it's not an early Sting Crow turn, I doubt you would do it so early to be honest...maybe just a lead in to another storyline.

- Sid and Spivey, meh...maybe it'll work out decent based on the old Horsemen stuff.

- Ugh, I can see Sweet Stan winning the belt off Austin at Spring Stampede based on the saves...I hope not, I can't see anywhere else where Austin will fit well in.

- Stampede is looking a little weak, I mean...I can't really tell a main, main attraction other then Luger and Rude, which is no Flair/Sting or Sting/Garvin

- Boo on Austin losing again, I don't know what you are going to do with him, same with Jarrett...I'm disapointed where both have ended up.

- Rude winning is cool, that was almost blown as well...it got boring for a while. He needs a solid run.

I'm generally disapointed with the way some stars have been pushed, Austin being the main guy, it started with joining Cornette and then from there...it went downhill. Him being in the Dangerous Alliance would have been cool, as taken place in real life, plus being with Flair and co. could have really elavated him.

May 1991

May started with the big backstage news that New Japan Pro Wrestling and WCW were working together for the next year. While contracts and wrestler trades were being worked out, on television we had ended our last month on TBS by showing two matches that had taken place in Japan and been promoted by NJPW. Our next step was to bring a man onto WCW television in a major way who had some pull in NJPW. That man was its owner, Antonio Inoki. Beyond that, we wanted to reaffirm ourselves to pushing the younger talent, which had taken a backseat in April due to company woes and business. Plus, we were about to venture down a path that we were very excited about, but that Sting was less than happy with. The Scorpion story was about to truly unfold, and our issues with Sting were about to get very difficult. For the first show of May, we were on TNT from 10pm to 11:30pm est in a "trial" nature for a special 90 minute program. Within days TNT executives had made the decision to keep us on Saturdays, but to move us to 8pm to 10pm est, right in the middle of Prime Time. We couldn't have been more excited. Now we really needed to step it up a notch or two and get ready for the May PPV WCW Superbrawl.

WCW Saturday Late Night On TNT (05-04-91)

-Sting defeats Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin. Tammy stays away from Sting, who's ring attire and make-up have all taken on a much darker hue. Ron Garvin runs in afterwards and attacks Sting from behind with the briefcase.

-In a rematch from Spring Stampede, Sweet Stan Lane retains his TV Title against Stunning Steve Austin when Steven Regal tries to interfere. It backfires, but after the match the two beat down on Lane.

-Ron Garvin once again defeats Brian Pillman due to interference from Mr. Bob Backlund and Tom Zenk. Sting again makes the save, running off the trio. Pillman once again tries to thank Sting, but Sting simply walks off.

-Vader defeats Lex Luger. Ravishing Rick Rude joins the commentary team, and this is enough to distract Luger and allow Vader to win.

-Jeff Jarrett is with Mike Tenay, and the match in Japan, as well as his match with Koloff from Spring Stampede, are discussed.

-From Japan two weeks ago, Ric Flair successfully defends his WCW World Heavyweight Title against Antonio Inoki when he uses the ropes for extra leverage to get a pinfall. Afterwards Flair refuses the handshake Inoki offers and just walks off, completely disrespecting the legend.

WCW Saturday Night On TNT (05-11-91)

-Doom yet again cost Liger and Muta a match, this time against The Fabulous Freebirds. Teddy Long makes his return to WCW and pulls Liger and Muta to safety.

-Doom are interviewed by Tenay. Their immediate goal is to destroy this Japanese team once and for all.

-2 Cold Scorpio gets a huge upset win over Barry Windham

-Sting and Pillman are with Tenay, and the two of them will team later tonight to take on Zenk and Garvin. Pillman is excited, but Sting is less than thrilled. He eventually walks off from the interview, leaving Pillman to make up an excuse.

-Arn Anderson defeats Jeff Jarrett, handing him his first pinfall loss here in WCW. Koloff interferes and nails Jarrett with a chain during the match, then whips him with it afterwards.

-The REAL Midnight Express (Sweet Stan Lane and Beautiful Bobby Eaton) and The Rock-N-Roll Express speak with Tenay about an elimination match with Camp Cornette set for next.

-The team of The REAL Midnight Express and The Rock-N-Roll Express defeat Camp Cornette in this Elimination Match. Morton and Gibson are the first two to go out, then Sweet Stan and Beautiful Bobby pin all four members of Camp Cornette to win.

-Cornette speaks on behalf of the WCW Championship Committee. He makes it official that no matter what other match Sweet Stan may be booked in, he MUST defend the WCW TV Title every show. To that end he makes Lane vs. Koloff for later in the night, and bars Eaton and The Rock-N-Roll Express from ringside. Furthermore, he makes Sweet Stan vs. Morton vs. Gibson for Superbrawl for the TV Title. Then he makes another match for the PPV, The REAL Midnight Express will meet Camp Cornette in a Scaffold Match to once and for all settle the issues.

-The Diamond Mine get a HUGE upset win over The Skyscrapers here. The two teams brawl afterwards.

-Sweet Stan retains the WCW TV Title against Nikita Koloff. Afterwards Jarrett rushes down and he now whips Koloff with a chain.

-Ron Garvin and Tom Zenk defeat Sting and Pillman when Sting chases Garvin to the back. Mr. Bob Backlund helps Zenk win just as Sting is returning to the ring with a chair. He lays out Mr. Backlund and Zenk, then as Pillman is getting to his feet he destroys Pillman with the chair as well. Referees and no name wrestlers run from the back to try and get Sting away, but he lays them out as well. Finally he walks away on his own with the chair and a weird smirk on his face.

WCW Saturday Night On TNT (05-18-91)

-Al Snow defeats Don Harris.

-Flair is interviewed by Tenay about Japan and Jarret. Flair is animated and upset here, especially when Tenay tells him that later tonight WCW has a huge announcement regarding Japan. Flair gets so upset he attacks Tenay. He is forced to leave by referees.

-The Rock-N-Roll Express defeat The Midnight Express (Condrey and Rose). The Rock-N-Roll Express then discuss their PPV match with Eric Bischoff, who is subbing for Tenay for the remainder of the night. One of them will defeat Sweet Stan for the WCW TV Title they say.

-The York Foundation (Michael Rotunda and Thomas Rich) re-debut and defeat The Skyscrapers due to interference from The Diamond Mine. TDM walk up the ramp pointing and laughing as The Skyscrapers get revenge on The Foundation.

-Bischoff interviews Teddy Long, who is now the manager for Liger and Muta. A challenge is made for Superbrawl on behalf of his team.

-Sweet Stan defends his TV Title against Barry Windham. Windham suffers a broken ankle and is helped off. Austin and Regal attack Lane afterwards.

-A match pitting Luger and Jarrett against Rude and Koloff ends in a No Contest as the four men simply brawl all over.

-Sting is interviewed by Bischoff. His demeanor is now dark, as are his tights and face paint. A lot of deep dark reds, blues, and blacks. He has the chair from last week, and he says that the old Sting is gone. He is tired of the way that WCW has changed, becoming about winning at ANY cost instead of winning because you are better. He says he has changed too. He will become what WCW needs to make it better and heal it. He says he will cure WCW and he will officially start tonight with Brian Pillman.

-Pillman vs. Sting is a No Contest Due To DQ when Mr. Backlund, Zenk, and Garvin all rush the ring and attack.

-Bischoff and Tenay reveal the working relationship with New Japan Pro Wrestling and WCW, then reveal the man that will meet Ric Flair for the WCW World Heavyweight Title at Superbrawl. Antonio Inoki comes out. Before much can be said Flair rushes from the back, livid. A small scuffle occurs, but it is broken apart.

WCW Saturday Night On TNT (05-25-91)

-Nash interferes giving a huge win to Thomas Rich over Sid. A two on one occurs until Spivey makes the save.

-Zenk defeats Snow, then proceeds to beat him down via instructions from Mr. Backlund. Mr. Backlund then makes a challenge to Sting, Pillman, and Zenk. A Cage Match With Stipulations for WCW Superbrawl. The winner picks the stipulation next week. Mr. Backlund then says if Zenk wins Pillman will join the team. Garvin then comes out to agree to the match as well, stating that if he wins Sting will be forced to leave WCW, effectively being fired.

-Morton pins Eaton in a Triangle Match also involving Gibson. Morton and Gibson pretty much wrestle it as a Handicap Match, thus setting the stage for Superbrawl

-Flair is with Tenay, who reminds him that if he touches him he'll be fined heavily, and Inoki is discussed. Flair says he beat Inoki in Japan, and he'll beat him on PPV. But tonight he's going to beat a native of his country to show why he's The Man.

-The Horsemen (AA and Tully Blanchard) cheat to win to defeat Jeff Jarrett and Lex Luger. Rude and Koloff run in after the match for a four on two beat down.

-Cornette interviews himself, where he clarifies every match for Superbrawl, including The Cage Match With Stipulations, saying that he has now heard from all involved except for Pillman. He says Sting has agreed to the stipulations currently set forth. He also mentions that The Diamond Mine and The Skyscrapers will meet again, this time tomorrow night on PPV.

-Sweet Stan defends the WCW TV Title against Dangerous Dan Spivey and wins clean. The Rock-N-Roll Express hit the ring and attack, then walk off as all four members of Camp Cornette do the same. Spivey simply leaves, not bothering to help.

-Pillman is with Tenay, and he agrees to the match. He says he has the ultimate stipulation as far as he's concerned.

-Sting defeats Michael P.S. Hayes with relative ease. After the match Zenk, Garvin, and Pillman all rush the ring for a fourway brawl.

-Flair defeats Muta in a WCW World Heavyweight Title Match. Afterwards Inoki saves Muta from a beating from Flair and Paul E. Dangerously.

WCW Superbrawl (05-26-91)

-A video airs to start the PPV showing the history of all four participants in The Cage Match With Stipulations.

-Liger and Muta defeat Doom. Afterwards Doom attack, and wind up Powerbombing Teddy Long on the concrete. He is hauled off by medics on a stretcher.

-Sweet Stan pins both Morton and Gibson to retain his WCW TV Title in this Elimination Match.

-Jarrett defeats Nikita Koloff in this Russian Chain Match. Both men are quite bloody

-It is announced that Sid Vicious ran from WCW after last night. The Diamond Mine then wrestle Spivey and his hand picked partner, 2 Cold Scorpio. Spivey looks less than thrilled. Hall pins Scorpio, leading to Scorpio being destroyed by Spivey right after the match.

-Camp Cornette win The Scaffold Match against the REAL Midnight Express. Eaton is the first to fall, Sweet Stan takes out Austin, then The Rock-N-Roll Express help Regal to knock Sweet Stan off. Afterwards The Rock-N-Roll Express embrace James E. Cornette.

-Ravishing Rick Rude successfully defends his WCW US Title against Luger.

-Pillman wins The Cage Match With Stipulations by pinning Zenk while Sting is KILLING Garvin. Mr. Backlund looks worried afterwards. Jim Ross and Mike Tenay on commentary discuss that next week Pillman will announce his winning stipulation.

-Inoki has Flair beat, but The Enforcer Arn Anderson makes the save allowing Flair to cheat to win and retain the WCW World Heavyweight Title. The two do an attack, but a bloody Jeff Jarrett makes the save.

May ended with a new Main Event player for The WCW World Heavyweight Title, as well as the continued push of Jeff Jarrett, who had now made it past Koloff and was well on his way towards an eventual World Title Match. Elsewhere, the ongoing feud with The REAL Midnight Express and Camp Cornette took a nice turn, as The Rock-N-Roll Express and James E. Cornette played a much bigger roll, specifically with Sweet Stan and the WCW TV Title. Both sets of Tag Team Titles once again found themselves pushed to the back burner. We made the decision that June and July would really focus on The Tag Team Division, and that Tag Team Turmoil would happen to result in only one set of Tag Team Champions instead of two. The Sid Vicious front took a nasty turn after he lost to The Diamond Mine and others during the month and saw his feud with The Horsemen ignored. Sid refused to work leading into the last WCW Saturday Night On TNT until we cut a deal with him. Go out there and put Thomas Rich over and we would give him anything he wanted. He did so, then said he wanted a rematch with The Horsemen for the next night on PPV where they won. We refused, and Sid walked. He called the day of the PPV and said he wanted his full release. Happy to be rid of him, we agreed. He appeared on WWF TV soon after and did a run in as Sid Justice saving Hogan from The Undertaker. Teddy Long was once again given an injury angle to play out. He took this time to request his leave from WCW. We ultimately agreed, as his continued employment with the company was not necessary. In a bad break, Barry Windham broke his ankle while wrestling Sweet Stan for the WCW TV Title. He would be out for 8 to 12 weeks. In some much needed good news, despite the loss of two television shows, less than adequate time to build to two PPV's, and backstage issues with Sid and now Sting, we continued to make money. June was the end of the original contract The Terrible Trio had signed with Ted Turner, and it looked positive that we would once again be given the reigns to control WCW beyond June.

Next...June 1991

So, up next should be the recap of June 1991 and the Clash Of The Champions: Tag Team Turmoil write-up, right? Wrong. From here on out we do things a little differently than originally played out. Coming soon, the all new WCW 1991 June and beyond.

May thoughts...

- Sting unhappy with the booking, Scorpian unfolding...hmmm, You may have captured me again.

- Finally something developing with Doom/Liger and Muta...I thought it was going to be run in's for months :P Long helping them is cool, I thought he could have helped a newer team out more...but this does make more sense.

- Scorpio push, alright.

- Sting heel turn, not expected as he is your top and pretty much only face at the top of the card (Luger is probably the second) I guess this storyline is starting up for real

- Jarrett gets his first somewhat big win in WCW, good. Hopefully it just improves each month.

- I'm interested as I should be to see what the stipulation is...

- Jarrett makes the save, more high profileness for JJ!~

I've read this before when you reposted it, but I forget what happened in June at first, so this rewrite should be pretty good....hopefully you don't drop the "Scorpion" angle which to me was a nice angle, and something different then what we usually see from Sting..as long as he doesn't go Black and White Sting a few years earlier.

Was hoping Pillman got the push Zenk is getting, but I still like it nonetheless. The uppercard seems to be the same old, same old, but then again that's very reminiscent to WCW in 91.

boobies

that's how happy this repost/reduex makes me

i've caught up and am as enthralled as I was the first time I read over all of this .... and am now quite intrigued as to where we go from here

Lt Hvy's can so rule the day for wcw '91 and I know you know this, but would LOVE to see it happen

• 9 months later...