Sensible Soccer 2006

Adam Ryland

Just had a heartbreaking World Cup as England. Drawn in Group E with Ukraine, Czech Republic and Australia. First game, comfortably beat Australia 2-1 (Viduka got a last minute consolation goal thanks to David James being shit). Beat Ukraine 2-0, then lost to the Czechs in a brutal 1-0 contest, something like 5 yellow cards and two red.

Knockout stage, first game: Brazil. My heart sinks as the Samba Boys swarm all over the pitch, but thanks to the brick wall that is Paul Robinson, they can't get a goal. Eventually, after plugging away for 65 minutes, Rooney outmuscles the entire Brazilian defense and wallops one past Dida for the only goal of the game. I was overjoyed, and the momentum carried on as our boys steamrollered Italy 3-0.

But it all fell apart against Spain. An even contest that saw shots aplenty, but solid goalkeeping from both sides (including an omnious Rooney penalty save by the Spanish keeper), meant the game went into extra time. Same old story as Owen runs out of juice and Lampard can't find the accuracy inside the box that he has outside it, and a laughable pair of shots from the Spaniards (including one that went off for a throw-in from the edge of the penalty area - I kid you not). The english are doomed as we enter the dreaded penalty shoot out. Not one of our attempts finds the net (although Becks managed to meg the keeper with a useless rebound attempt), but Spain comfortably slot two to take the win, going on to lose 5-2 in the final to France.

Gutted.

So would you say it was worth a purchase Dragsy? I'd be getting it on Xbox instead of PC, mind, but since it's £17.99 on Play I don't think it'd be worth renting it for £2 or whatever Blockbuster are charging these days. Did you play the demo? Plus I'd be having multiplayer shenanigans with my brother. And no, that isn't innuendo. :shifty:

I acquired for PC. I enjoy the game, but I doubt I'd have spent any more than about fifteen quid on it.

EDIT: I'm having an infuriating problem at the moment, possibly the fault of my controller, I'm not sure. But basically about two thirds of my shot attempts go backwards. I aim the arrow, press shoot and the arrow swivels 180 degrees and fires it off towards my own half. The game has also started running really slowly (half-pace) for one amtch, then the next running twice as fast. I wish it would be normal.

Edited by Dragsy 7-0