Sensible Soccer 2006

Adam Ryland

Anyone else played it?

I don't generally buy PS2 games any more, but I picked SS06 up this morning without reading any reviews purely on the grounds that Sensible Soccer used to be THE football game when I was at school. I wasn't expecting it to match up to Pro Evo, just to be a fast, solid, fun game like the old days....but they didn't even manage that. :thumbsdown: It's actually gone backwards from where it was ten years ago, which was is quite an achievement. It's slow, fiddly, passes appear to have a mind of their own, and the goalies seem to save everything bar the very easiest of lobs..... :crying:

It's cell shaded for the replays and close ups, which looks a bit weird - but to be fair I think they were going for a quirky cult-appeal with that aspect of it, so at least they had a reason. The actual games are done "classic sensi" style, with a top down view. Unfortunately it doesn't support widescreen and has no on-screen display, so a lot of the time you are passing completely blind.

Hey, if they can't even get the name of the sport right, you know it's not worth buying.

Not true - Sensible World Of Soccer was a fabulous game! Admittedly it doesn't really hold up all that well compared to today's football games, but in the early-to-mid 1990s, Sensi pretty much had a God-like status amongst players. It used to be one of those brilliant things that was incredibly simple (it only used two buttons and an analogue stick) to pick up, but really fun and addictive.

Hey, if they can't even get the name of the sport right, you know it's not worth buying.

Not true - Sensible World Of Soccer was a fabulous game! Admittedly it doesn't really hold up all that well compared to today's football games, but in the early-to-mid 1990s, Sensi pretty much had a God-like status amongst players. It used to be one of those brilliant things that was incredibly simple (it only used two buttons and an analogue stick) to pick up, but really fun and addictive.

Hmph, it's not like SWOS's gameplay really needed improving, let alone space to get it wrong.

Amen to that. How you manage to ruin a control system that only has two buttons in the first place is beyond me. It's not like they've even messed it up by adding tons of improvements - it still has the same crappy front end menu system that SWOS had, and (other than the 3D stuff for replays) it looks exactly the same.

Grr...I think this is the most disappointed I've ever been with a computer game. :angry:

Is Sensible Soccer the one where if you were dribbling the ball and turned the joystick sharply to the left or right, you'd turn and the ball would just keep rolling in the other direction? If so I remember playing it a lot on my friend's amiga, and that frustrated the heck out of me, having gotten used to Italia '90 and then Fifa 95.