Grunge Music?

Dr. Rated-R

Yeah, I'm looking for some music suggestions, particularly grunge.

And by "grunge", I mean grunge that isn't by any of the succesful, famous Grunge artists. I want to try some stuff considered grunge that isn't by Soundgarden, Alice, Pearl Jam, STP, or Nirvana, basically.

Some "post-grunge" is okay, too, I guess. Stuff like Candlebox or maybe Fuel. But mostly stuff that actually came from the grunge era, if that makes sense.

Edited by The Rated-R Superstar

1. If you can, find the movie "Hype!" and watch it. Good documentary and excellent performances from bands above and below the radar.

2. Bands I advise: Mad Season, Sleater-Kinney, The Melvins, The Pixies, and Sonic Youth. King Snake Roost, Lubricated Goat, Surgery, Tar, Silverfish, Cows, and Steel Pole Bath Tub were more obscure, but it's right up the alley.

Mudhoney aren't as much of a "must" as most people seem to say they are, in my opinion, as much as I like them, there's only so many times you can hear a distorted Stooges riff.

The Melvins and Sonic Youth, even though I don't consider either to be "grunge" per sé are bands that you should listen to regardless.

Screaming Trees are probably the great forgotten grunge band. They went the mellower route, more country-influenced and soft rock, for the most part, rather the distortion and screaming route of a lot of the other grunge bands. They were a fantastic band, and featured Josh Homme and Mark Lanegan, which is all good.

Slightly outside the grunge box, go for Mad Season as was said before, Jerry Cantrell's solo material, and maybe The Vaselines and The Meat Puppets (both incredible bands, and both big influences on Nirvana, so worth a mention in a grunge thread).

Edited by Skumfrog