Some recent entertainment observations\opinions by me

GhostMachine

Just thought I'd drop some observations and opinions about some things in various fields of entertainment. These are random, so bear with me, and feel free to add your own opinions, even if its about something I haven't mentioned.

Heath Ledger has been cast as the Joker for the sequel to Batman Begins? Okaaaay, Christopher Nolan must be on crack. I don't think Heath Ledger has the acting chops to pull off the Joker character, unless he's played as a straight psycho and the over the top, humorous aspects are left out. (ie, the character is played as he was originally created)

Anyone else think Edward Norton would make a great Joker, Two-Face or Riddler (provided the Riddler wears the suit and hat instead of tights)?

I'm pumped for Snakes On A Plane. Even moreso after reading a short (one page) interview with Samuel L. Jackson in the latest issue of Wizard. Not only did the make them leave the title alone, but he got it made into an R-rated movie; originally it was going to be PG-13.

Finally heard Paris Hilton's song "Stars Are Blind" - VH1 was playing the video, and I was too lazy to get up and change the channel....until after the first chorus. I was surprised, though; I'm betting the vocals were SERIOUSLY tweaked in the mixing and editing processes, but even so I have to say I've heard worse. (*cough*Ashlee Simpson*cough*) From what I can tell, the video is a total ripoff of the video for Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", though. Not a song I want to hear again, but possible proof that Paris Hilton isn't totally useless.

I haven't heard Brooke Hogan's song yet, because I can't get past the stupid look of the video and Paul Wall at the beginning of it. (I don't listen to the radio much, so I don't know if its getting much airplay) I understand why rappers are inserted into pop songs (to get cross promotions - ie, get rap fans to listen to the pop song and vice versa), but sometimes it ruins a song.

Richard Donner, who directed the first Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve, and part of the second one, is going to be co-writing Action Comics with Geoff Johns. It will be interesting to see how this goes; Geoff Johns got his start as one of Donner's assistants, fresh out of college, and they have discussed possible ideas for further Superman movies in the past (way before Superman Returns were announced), and may be using some of these ideas in Action. I think this could be a good thing, if DC's editors don't screw it up. Apparently one of the movie ideas involved Brainiac, so if you read Action when they start co-plotting\writing, don't be surprised if he shows up.

If you like imaginary comic stories (ie, What Ifs and Elseworlds), I highly recommend picking up a couple trade paperbacks: Superman & Batman Generations I and II. Both written and drawn by John Byrne. (There was also a Generations III, but it hasn't been released as a TPB yet) It takes place in a universe where characters actually age. Generations I starts out in 1939 and leaps ahead a decade in each chapter, but the last chapter leaps ahead even farther. Book II follows a similar format, but leaps ahead 11 years at a time instead of 10, and isn't really a continuation from the end of I; it takes place during I, but features more characters - Book I is mostly about Batman, Superman and their children, while Book II has more heroes in it.

On the video game front, Xenosaga III is supposedly coming out sometime around the end of this month. I already reserved a copy at Gamestop. If you have a PS2 and haven't played Xenosaga I and II, I definitely recommend both, as they are my favorite non-Final Fantasy RPGs.

Must watch show for the rest of this month: Comedy Central is going to feature a celebrity roast of William Shatner on August 20th.

My curiosity is will Richard Donner live long enough to finish the comic? I'm seriously asking this because the man's nearly 80.

And I think the Cobra Starship song is gonna end up being so much better than the film Snakes on a Plane.

SO KISS MY GOODBYE!

Heath Ledger has been cast as the Joker for the sequel to Batman Begins? Okaaaay, Christopher Nolan must be on crack. I don't think Heath Ledger has the acting chops to pull off the Joker character, unless he's played as a straight psycho and the over the top, humorous aspects are left out. (ie, the character is played as he was originally created)