NHL Eastside Hockey Manager 2007

CKN

Guest mr. potato head

I'm not positive on this, but my theory is that the CHL has some sort of rule in place where teams must keep their 1st round picks to ensure that every team has the equal chance to draft a good, if not decent, player in the 1st round.

Either that, or the EHM devs knew that people like us would just rape the league for the good draft positions, and decided to counteract us. :shifty:

It's a real rule, not an EHM one. Just for the OHL though. They put it in a long time ago to stop incompetent GMs from trading away all their first-rounders for nothing.

If you can somehow figure it out, then I would be interested. Every time I tried, I failed.

Also? Going to the Memorial Cup :D And weird that the OHL draft happens before I even won the cup <_<

Not sure if I got any studs, but I have money to buy the studs from other teams ^_^

Guest mr. potato head

That's nothing, the real-world OHL draft was moved this year to...two weeks ago. During the second round of playoffs. GMs weren't too happy about that one.

I won the memorial cup! 4-3 in OT (or was it 2OT?). I am wonderful! :D

...and a monster. I just bought like...4-5 players drafted in the first round for about 120-275k.

Edit: And somehow I just drafted the #1 and #2 in the Import draft :/

I'm not positive on this, but my theory is that the CHL has some sort of rule in place where teams must keep their 1st round picks to ensure that every team has the equal chance to draft a good, if not decent, player in the 1st round.

Either that, or the EHM devs knew that people like us would just rape the league for the good draft positions, and decided to counteract us. :shifty:

It's a real rule, not an EHM one. Just for the OHL though. They put it in a long time ago to stop incompetent GMs from trading away all their first-rounders for nothing.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Makes sense though I guess, can't really blame them. I'd imagine it's where a lot of GMs get their starts so who knows what decisions some may make that could cripple the team later on in life.

I won the memorial cup! 4-3 in OT (or was it 2OT?). I am wonderful! :D

...and a monster. I just bought like...4-5 players drafted in the first round for about 120-275k.

Good to know that it's that easily possible :shifty: Here I was a while ago debating whether or not 5k was too much to be throwing into a trade for someone ("Thats like.. 3 1/2 player salaries!") until I realized that I had profit up in the millions. Suddenly 150k as part of a trade for Galchenyuk didn't seem like such a bad offer :rolleyes:

Edited by Mountainous Cleavage

Somewhere, Sean will be laughing at that one. :shifty:

The key to success in the CHL is utilizing draft picks properly: pick rounds 1-5 players who are fast and strong and have the potential to develop skillwise rather than players who have moderate skill levels, then hire coaches capable of training them to develop those skills. For picks after round 6, trade them in the offseason before the draft to get players who have 1-2 years left in the league, IE 18,19,20 year olds, because their value tanks as they get closer to overager status. The Import Draft can be a complete crapshoot but I'd suggest targetting players who either "Want to play Major Junior hockey" (and even then, they often refuse to sign and come overseas) or target NHL draft picks who are likely to be reassigned to you sometime after NHL Training Camps. It can often be best, however, to trade your own Import Draft prospects in exchange for other teams Imported players under contract.

(and even then, they often refuse to sign and come overseas)

It said they wanted to come over, but they refuse to sign. I even offered 400k signing bonuses!

Edit: I could have escaped the OHL! I was offered a job (they came to me! I set my experience to 'automatic') by the Rangers.

Poor Milbury. Looks like you may have to give those kids a shakedown. ;)

My London Knights just started the season and we're 2-0-0 so far. I didn't get John Gibson back from his Lightning tryout for the 1st game of the season, but that turned out to be fine as I forgot that I had put in a trade offer before I posted my roster before, and I ended up somehow getting Scott Wedgewood from Plymouth for next to nothing. I was saying in my last post that I had regretted trading Houser in my last game, but now he's suddenly not an important part of the picture (Houser being the same age as Wedgewood, and Gibson a year younger; Houser is also the least talented of the three stat-wise). I'm debating on what to do with him at the moment but I'm thinking about trading him for some good, younger D-men. I also forget that I have Jake Patterson down in the Nationals as well that's decent.

The other surprise that came to me out of nowhere is Joey Hishon. He's apparently been loaned to me by the Avalanche though I never asked him to be, but it turns out he is pretty talented - talented enough to make me bump Galchenyuk to the left wing and put Hishon at center on my 2nd line. Anderson's been sent down to the Nationals because of that. Slight alterations to a few lines (PP, PK)

First game of the season, Wedgewood's between the posts, and we end up pouring it on the Erie Otters. We win 9-1, and Hishon ends up finishing with a hat trick. Thank you Colorado! Our second game is the very next day and goes much the same way. We defeat Saginaw 6-0 and Wedgewood gets his first shutout of the season with Galchenyuk leading the way with 2 goals. Our powerplay also went 4/6, and we've also killed 100% of penalties in the first two games.

Looks to be a very good season :shifty:

That's nothing, the real-world OHL draft was moved this year to...two weeks ago. During the second round of playoffs. GMs weren't too happy about that one.

The WHL Bantam Draft also happens in the middle of the playoffs. It ruins your EHM team when you have to cut a whole shitload of your active roster to make room for people who won't even play for you for two years.

(and even then, they often refuse to sign and come overseas)

It said they wanted to come over, but they refuse to sign. I even offered 400k signing bonuses!

Them saying "Wants To Play Major Junior Hockey" is only one chip in your favour. You still have to offer them a lot to get them to come over.

Consider this:

You have:

A highly rated team.

A ravenous fan base.

A successful team.

A team coming off a successful year.

Lots of good players.

But not too many good players (he wants to be able to play first line ice time, not on your farm team).

If all of those are true, you might win, but you have to balance against:

Can stay in his home country.

Doesn't need to learn a new language.

Can make more money.

Can play for a more prestigous team.

Can play in front of ravenous fans in his home country.

Can play in a more prestigous league.

Can join a successful team.

Can join a team coming off a successful year.

Can join a team with lots of good players.

Can join a team where he can get first line ice time.

So... you have to play a balance game. Sometimes you will be a good enough team and make the right offer in the right situation but the vast majority of quality European prospects stay in Europe because the SEL/SHL/KHL are more prestiguous than the CHL in most databases.

Oh, how I love my team already. :shifty: We just completely shitshowed the Guelph Storm. Only thing that could have made it better is if Gibson could've got his shutout, but when you look across the ice in comparison.. :w00t:

teamownage.png

teamownage2.png

I did end up trading Houser for some younger D like I was thinking. Managed to get Masterangelo and McIvor, as well as another future good player who's names already escaped me for Houser and a bit of cash. Heck of a deal for me.

Strome only got 4 points? Poor showing.

And I've never had a game that high...11 or 12 is the most goals I've scored. I also hate London, because the home colors are similar to the away colors and vice versa, so it's hard to figure out who scored.

I once won a game 12-9. They went up 5-0 after 1 period and I thought I was fucked. :D

That was the AHL where you usually have 6-7 guys around 140 pts and 1 goalie with a GAA under 3.

I think the best game was last season....I was down 5-1 in the 3rd, and then in the last five minutes came back and won it. Literally a goal every minute!

Also, I am sad...I lost Yakupov to the Leafs and Strome to the Islanders :( I need them back!

I think the best game was last season....I was down 5-1 in the 3rd, and then in the last five minutes came back and won it. Literally a goal every minute!

Happened to me with Windsor in the Memorial Cup finals, down 7-2 with about 8 minutes to go against Kamloops and we just exploded scoring 4 goals in the next 3 minutes and tying it up with under 10 seconds to go and then won it 15 seconds into overtime, I danced around the room like I just won it myself.