Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

Florida State hires Fisher to replace Jeff Bowden

ESPN.com news services

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Less than 48 hours after ending negotiations with Louisiana State offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher, Florida State coach Bobby Bowden changed his mind Monday and, apparently, Fisher's too.

Bowden named Fisher, 41, as his offensive coordinator at Florida State, which had suffered decreasing production on offense in recent years under the directions of Bowden's youngest son, Jeff Bowden.

"His ability to put in an offense and adjust as the season goes along is second to none," Bobby Bowden said about Fisher. "He brings the experience and attitude that I was looking for in a coordinator."

ESPN's Jim Donnan first reported the hiring earlier Monday.

A West Virginia native, Fisher spent the past seven seasons at LSU, where the offense set 13 school records under his direction. He will also take over as quarterback coach for Daryl Dickey, whose contract was not renewed.

"The opportunity to coach at Florida State and to grow as a coach under coach Bowden was one that I could not pass up," said Fisher, who signed a three-year agreement with a starting base salary of $215,000.

However, on Saturday it appeared Florida State had given up on landing Fisher, a protege of Bowden's son, Terry Bowden.

"Florida State will move forward to pursue other options among a number of outstanding coaches who want to share in FSU's traditions and values," coach Bobby Bowden said, adding that Fisher would "be a benefit to whatever organization he ends up with."

Fisher is reunited with receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey and offensive coordinator Rick Trickett, who were both added to the Florida State staff last week. They coached together during LSU's national championship season in 2003.

Dickey joined offensive line coach Mark McHale, running backs coach Billy Sexton, and Jeff Bowden as casualties of Bobby Bowden's poorest season in 30 years at Florida State.

Jeff Bowden, who resigned two days after the Seminoles were defeated 30-0 by Wake Forest in mid-November, was paid by the school's booster organization to resign.

Linebackers coach Kevin Steele also left, joining new Alabama coach Nick Saban.

Bowden still has two vacancies to fill on his staff.

The Seminoles finished 7-6 following a 44-27 Emerald Bowl win over UCLA.

Edited by ACCBiggz

Animal's (as in Road Warrior Animal) son James is playing Middle Linebacker for Ohio State. (#33, if you want to look out for him)

I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see him and another player hit the Doomsday Device on a Florida player. (Y)

They had a story on him on either CNN Headline News or ESPN. I forget which. He has no desire to go into professional wrestling after football.

Lot of people around here are actually predicting the Gators will win, but I hope not.

Edited by GhostMachine

James has said in an interview during a game on ABC that he will go pro wrestling if football didn't work out, but it obviously will. Also Animal said that he wouldn't let him work for WWE.
Edited by GhostMachine

James has said in an interview during a game on ABC that he will go pro wrestling if football didn't work out, but it obviously will. Also Animal said that he wouldn't let him work for WWE.

Hmmm.....the story I saw (which included an interview with Animal) said that he has no interest in going into wrestling and wants to put his degree to use after football.

Probably was Headline News I saw it on, then. They tend to get a lot of stuff wrong....

I hope football works out, because I'd really hate to see Animal and son as the New Road Warriors or Legion of Doom.

(Although, it would instantly be better than the Animal\Heidenreich version)

Florida has played well, but can anyone tell me why Ohoi State isn't playing Ohio State Football?

Zone Defense is horrible, I've always maintained this. It allows anything 5-10 yards in the middle of the field to be open. And that is where UF is doing the damage. For their offense, they aren't playing anything like their other 12 games... Tressell must have brung the YSU playbook or something.

Not to mention UF is dominating field position because of this.

Edited by ACCBiggz