Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

Yeah, it's time again. Since I don't care about anything important other than the Tide (>_>), I'll first mention that Bama is beating Hawaii, 25-10 at the moment. Not a shock, but we are expected to have trouble with, you know, half of the damn team gone. But yeah, uneventful so far. All the ranked teams are winning (though, UAB is coming dangerously close to knocking off an overrated Oklahoma team).

And I know we have the college pick em thread, but I just wanted something where we could talk more about whether the teams we picked are winning and have discussions on our favorites teams and etc.

The Scoreboard.

Edited by Jizz Monkey ROC

I also wouldn't call UAB over OU an upset, had it happened. UAB has always played tough (ala Southern Miss could be included here) against Top25 teams. They almost knocked off FSU a few years back as well. Not to mention the trouble the OU had been in before the season started which definatly hurt them.

Outside of that, easy week of predictions.

Meh, am I the only one who thought Cal themselves were pretty overrated to begin with? I honestly think the Pac-10 is the most overrated conference in the country and when USC bitchslapped top conferences contenders like UCLA, it's hard not to get that impression.

I agree that the Pac-10 is always overrated. Sure they have some good teams, but one or two tough games a year is a bit lame. Other schools beat on themselves and knock them out of Nat'l Title contention. I'm not going to say that Cal, USC, UCLA, etc don't have great teams that are NC Caliber (USC for the past 3-4 years), but that only garnered one Nat'l Title even in that... where imo Auburn was left out to vie for it. And no, a playoff system would not be good for College Football. Not only will there be an economic impact, but more controversey in seeding and a #9 team, but there has never been a need for it.. a +1 system could work on a year-by-year basis.... In my opinion, its the Pre-Season poll that screws up EVERYTHING. If they would wait until week 4 to release a poll after seeing the teams it would benefit everyone. You weed out the weak, and get to see those teams that sit outside the top 10 normally shine and show what they have (Auburn in previous year as an example).

Especially in this season it would help. With everyone having problems and such, after week four you'd be able to tell who were gonig to fix their holes and vie for a title, while others could go for conference titles and BCS bids. For my economic impact statement. Bowls generate over 1billion dollars in revenue for communites and schools each year, with a playoff system you negate the majority of bowls and single a lot of this money out that they do need. So now not only do you still deal with the same crap of playoffs, but you get to screw communites out of revune they need.

I agree that the Pac-10 is always overrated. Sure they have some good teams, but one or two tough games a year is a bit lame. Other schools beat on themselves and knock them out of Nat'l Title contention. I'm not going to say that Cal, USC, UCLA, etc don't have great teams that are NC Caliber (USC for the past 3-4 years), but that only garnered one Nat'l Title even in that... where imo Auburn was left out to vie for it. And no, a playoff system would not be good for College Football. Not only will there be an economic impact, but more controversey in seeding and a #9 team, but there has never been a need for it.. a +1 system could work on a year-by-year basis.... In my opinion, its the Pre-Season poll that screws up EVERYTHING. If they would wait until week 4 to release a poll after seeing the teams it would benefit everyone. You weed out the weak, and get to see those teams that sit outside the top 10 normally shine and show what they have (Auburn in previous year as an example).

Especially in this season it would help. With everyone having problems and such, after week four you'd be able to tell who were gonig to fix their holes and vie for a title, while others could go for conference titles and BCS bids. For my economic impact statement. Bowls generate over 1billion dollars in revenue for communites and schools each year, with a playoff system you negate the majority of bowls and single a lot of this money out that they do need. So now not only do you still deal with the same crap of playoffs, but you get to screw communites out of revune they need.

Edited by Jizz Monkey ROC

I say do it NCAA basketball tourney style and have 64 teams in a badass college tourney with the bowl games being the first round stuff, etc.

I say do it NCAA basketball tourney style and have 64 teams in a badass college tourney with the bowl games being the first round stuff, etc.

My beloved California Golden Bears lost to Tennessee today. I wouldn't say Tennessee winning is an upset though. Tennessee's defense was extremely tough, and Lynch and Forsett could never get going. Oh, and Longshore just sucked.

Agreed, crazedfan. Hopefully they start Ayoob against Minnesota next week. I expect there to be a good 50,000 plus fans for the game.

Edited by crazedfan

Won't ever happen in college football, would be too many games a team would play, and it would interfere with finals.

I must say that I am dissapointed about the MAC's first week showing this year granted they obviously faced tough teams in OSU and PSU but a couple of game that the teams could have done better in such as the Northwestern v. Miami(OH) and the CMU v. BC(would have been a really close game if it were for some bad play calling). I was able to attend my first D-1 football game for the college I am currently attend in Bowling Green State University vs. Wisconson and it was also the first college game in Cleveland Browns Stadium. The final score didnt show it (35-14) but I thought BGSU play well and may have a spot in the MAC Championship game at the end of the season, espescially since the starting QB wasnt even playing. I am looking forward to what will hopefully be another great season of college football.

I hate Alabama right now. If they can't beat Vandy at the moment, what the hell does that mean when we face the real competition. To the Commodores credit, they are better than they were years ago, but certainly they aren't that much better and is probably worse without Cutler. Well that, and we can't get any damn offense.