Official 2006 College Football Season Thread.

ROC

Oh yes, how impressive that ten point win over RICE <-- was. That bodes well for a team that still has to play Cal, UO, USC, ASU .....

As for the call in the Aub/LSU game .... as quoted from ESPN.com

Brock's tip shouldn't affect the pass interference call because video replay shows that Gilbert hit Doucet before Brock tipped it. That is pass interference. However, pass interference penalties are not reviewable. Video could be used to confirm that Brock tipped it. The tip rendered the pass interference call moot.

of course, they still had opportunities to win the game, but didn't. so are you saying that they needed that call to win the game ? what exactly does that say ? Tell your quarterback to throw the ball into the endzone, not to the 4 ...

Oh yes, how impressive that ten point win over RICE <-- was. That bodes well for a team that still has to play Cal, UO, USC, ASU .....

As for the call in the Aub/LSU game .... as quoted from ESPN.com

Brock's tip shouldn't affect the pass interference call because video replay shows that Gilbert hit Doucet before Brock tipped it. That is pass interference. However, pass interference penalties are not reviewable. Video could be used to confirm that Brock tipped it. The tip rendered the pass interference call moot.

of course, they still had opportunities to win the game, but didn't. so are you saying that they needed that call to win the game ? what exactly does that say ? Tell your quarterback to throw the ball into the endzone, not to the 4 ...

Edited by Javs

If the ball is tipped, there no longer can be pass interference. Thats the rule. When I played HS ball, if the ball was tipped, you were supposed to take out the reciever, simple as.

And yeah, not impressive, except there is basically NO tape on Rice, as it was their first game in their entirely new offense. Oh, and Ben Olsen was starting only his second game as UCLA's QB.

Cal, Oregon, and Arizona State don't scare me. Cal showed their true colors against Tennessee, Oregon is overrated and barely beat a Oklahoma team at home that is WORSE than the one we beat at home last year, and ASU always does something to screw themselves.

While in a crappy conference, I am very impressed with Louisville so far this year. I've always thought they were a great team (Especially for the Big East) but a win like that against Miami is going to be a big boost for them. Hosting West Virginia could be a huge game, as I don't see either team losing to anyone but the other. I'd dare to say the winner of that game could be in the National title game. Auburn and USC going undefeated with their schedules is hard to beleive, and Michigan probably won't beat Ohio State, not on the road.

I'm calling Ohio State vs. Louisville/West Virgnia right now.

Oh, and TCU needs to start really pummeling their opponents if they want to get a BCS birth. 12-3 isn't enough, even against a ranked team.

As for UCLA, they could get into the BCS, but its hard to see it happening. Beating Oregon, Notre Dame, Arizona State & Cal on the road is a VERY tough schedule. It could work to their advantage if they can pull off all those wins though, but it seems almost impossible to me. Oh, and you can't forget USC, even at home.

Oh, and Boise State looks more like the scoring machine of two or three years ago than ever. Wyoming was a poor win, but if they play like they did against Oregon State, they could compete with any team in the country. Utah should be an important game if they hope to get into the BCS.

Pac-10 suspended the referees and instant replay crew from the Oregon\Oklahoma game for 1 week for handing the game to Oregon by blowing calls in the last 1:12.

What gets me is, they can suspend the officials but not overturn the results?

Note: I'm glad Oklahoma got beat, but not because of incompetent, or possibly crooked, officiating. The loss might keep them from playing in another BCS Championship game that they don't deserve to be in.

(Auburn should have been in the game that year, not Oklahoma)

Still not the worst case of bad officiating I've ever seen, though. That would be a game back in.....98 or 99?....when Colorado beat Colorado State for their conference championship. Colorado scored the winning touchdown......on a 5th down.

Edited by GhostMachine

colorado beat missouri on fifth down .... not CSU, they've not been in the same conference ever

it was in the Big Eight ....

anyway, bitching about the refs is pretty dumb at any rate ... people are human, they make mistakes. Just think about how many calls are done RIGHT, and how many are reviewd and changed CORRECTLY ... I'd love to see the ratio to correct and caught calls to incorrect and missed calls ....

It's just the human element .... It's with the officials on the field as it is with the 22 players on the field and the coaches that call the play ...

you wanna bitch about the refs, then bitch about the players that screwed up, and the coaches that screwed up too ...

singling out the refs as the SOLE reason, and saying that THEY cost a team the game is just plain stupid. Blame the OU fg squad ... they let the kick get blocked with 2 seconds .... blame Jamarcus Russell for his three screw ups and for not throwing the ball into the end zone on the last play, or for throwing into double coverage on the 'should have been intereference call' ....

Don't use the refs as a cop out, it's crap ....

• Like 1

If the ball is tipped, there no longer can be pass interference. Thats the rule. When I played HS ball, if the ball was tipped, you were supposed to take out the reciever, simple as.

And yeah, not impressive, except there is basically NO tape on Rice, as it was their first game in their entirely new offense. Oh, and Ben Olsen was starting only his second game as UCLA's QB.

Cal, Oregon, and Arizona State don't scare me. Cal showed their true colors against Tennessee, Oregon is overrated and barely beat a Oklahoma team at home that is WORSE than the one we beat at home last year, and ASU always does something to screw themselves.

Amen to Bobby Petrino being one of the best coaches in D-1 ...

I just can't help but weap for the Big East .... I mean seriously, you know your conference is in trouble when you're two highest profile schools (Miami, BC - sorry Syracuse) abandon for the ACC, AND drag along the 'hot new kid' on the block in VT. The conference itself is a fuck up really, ESPECIALLY with football. They allow Notre Dame to be a 'full' member and even wrote ND into the bowl contracts of the conference, BUT ND remains an independent ...... Yeah, bend over and take that ....

Honestly, I don't see how the conference is even considered BCS worthy, when it has barely been over a decade that it has been a REAL football conference (football founded in 1991). VT wasn't a football member until 2001, Miami in 1993, WV in 1995. Barely a decade of solid comp.

Yes, I know the Big 12 is on the lips of many of you to say the same things about. However, the Big 12 comprises a bevy of football rich schools, and comprises the majority of the major schools in one of the top three, if not the top football state (Texas).

The Catholics have enough problems with their church, why'd they think they could form a collegiate athletic conference ? (that'll draw some ire !)

Pac-10 suspended the referees and instant replay crew from the Oregon\Oklahoma game for 1 week for handing the game to Oregon by blowing calls in the last 1:12.

What gets me is, they can suspend the officials but not overturn the results?

Note: I'm glad Oklahoma got beat, but not because of incompetent, or possibly crooked, officiating. The loss might keep them from playing in another BCS Championship game that they don't deserve to be in.

(Auburn should have been in the game that year, not Oklahoma)

Still not the worst case of bad officiating I've ever seen, though. That would be a game back in.....98 or 99?....when Colorado beat Colorado State for their conference championship. Colorado scored the winning touchdown......on a 5th down.

Yes, I know the Big 12 is on the lips of many of you to say the same things about. However, the Big 12 comprises a bevy of football rich schools, and comprises the majority of the major schools in one of the top three, if not the top football state (Texas).

I respect the Big XII... South. Texas and OU are upper echelon programs, Texas A&M has history on their side at the very least, Texas Tech can play with anyone on any given day right now, and and Okie State is average most years. Baylor sucks, but they're on their way up.

The North though... UGH. Lets start with Nebraska... shall we? They get along on name alone. Bill Callahan is THE WORST COACH (Ok... so I'm a Raider fan too, sue me :P). I lost all respect for them when they hired him, because it showed they have no clue what they're doing. Colorado has major issues... and the rest of the teams are just horrid. They couldn't compete in the WAC.

Don't even get me started on the Big lEast. I'm all for giving their automatic bid to the WAC, Mountain West, or MAC. Preferably the WAC, so at least it'd be either Boise St. or Fresno St.

Yeah, the Big East really needs to shape up. They should just move West Virginia and Louisville to good conferences (Or have them replace teams like Duke & Baylor) and just make it another Mid-Major. It'll give an extra at large bid which is good because A) It helps Mid-Major programs and B) The BCS school's would likely get it anyways.

I still don't think the WAC, MAC or Mountain West are good enough to earn an auto-bid, but having the extra at large would certainly increase their chances of grabbing one. At least they have the two extra one's now.

Yeah, the North's nosedive in the last 4 years has really hurt. At least though, schools such as K-State, Nebraska, and Colorado have had RECENT kick assedness. I actually like Iowa State, they have built a very solid program.

If Boise St would go to the freakin Mountain West, then we could talk some business. With TCU and Colorado St. joined by the Smurf Turf boys, they'd be just as 'viable' of a BCS threat as the Big Least. Damn I'd love that.

Of course, if I had my way, the conferences would be much more regional like they were 'back in the day'. You know, the SWC - Big 8 - Big Sky, etc. Oh, how far the golden years were ago.

I think Boise St. should stay in the WAC. The Mountain West is slightly better overall, and especially at the bottom, but Colorado St. has fallen off a bit since they're 'glory' days in the 90s, BYU is down from their historical peak, and TCU is damn good.

To counter, the WAC has Fresno St. and Boise St., who can play with damn near anyone on any given Saturday, and Hawai'i, who can give people fits too. They're hurt by having San Jose St, Idaho, Utah St., and New Mexico St. though.