The Last Argument of Kings

Gongsun Zan

The Heart of Darkness

29/07/2007

1 - Interview with Luther Fish

Welcome to the House of God.

Luther Fish steps into view, close up from the camera, and he’s smiling, eyes sparkling, his voice bursting with heartfelt emotion as he proclaims the word of the Lord:

“BEHOLD!” he cries, his already high voice amplified by euphoria. “The PROPHET of the LORD! For I have heard his called, and I have been blessed by his DEVINE GRACE, the INFINITE WISDOM of the CREATOR himself! And I have been CHOSEN, by the HOLIEST OF HOSTS to be his PROPHET, the MOUTH OF GOD! And in return, he has opened my eyes, and I have seen it – a glimpse of the eternal PARADISE he has promised his beloved children…but fear not, my brothers and sisters, for it is his WILL that I spread the GOOD NEWS, and he has sent me to PURGE the unfaithful from the TRUE followers of the faith – for only the pure and righteous deserve his love, and nothing more.”

(OR: 46%)

2 - Interview with Clay Reinhart

And then we’re back in the ring, where’s it Clay Reinhart, but not as we know him – dressed in full police attire, sans badge, but it’s enough to intimidate, enough to send the message that he’s not fucking around tonight, oh no. And when he speaks into the microphone, it’s a voice of passion, determination, realization – almost too much so, and it’s unnerving, edging on paranoia.

“I’ve had enough,” he is saying, staring into the crowd. “I came here to look after this promotion – to protect it from the filth that somehow always manages to find its way into every good society. I came here as a defender of justice, to do what was right – but I’ve come to my senses. I’ve realized the truth – and that I was wrong. There’s nothing to defend here, nothing to protect. I’ve been wrong in trying to stop scum from corrupting this promotion, no – it is this cesspit that corrupts, and I intend to put a stop to it. This federation shall not claim another life, not as long as I long as I’m around. I’m closing this operation down – and I will not hesitate to take out anyone who dares defend it. For this is no longer about myself, or what I’ve done. This is for justice, and it begins right here, right now.”

(OR: 44%)

3 - Jean Paul (w/ Amber Williams) vs. Clay Reinhart

And Jean Paul dashes to the ring, accompanied as usual by Amber Williams, though there’s no talk here tonight, just a quick dance, tease, and then JP’s all business, literally soaring into the ring, backflips into his corner, ascends the turnbuckle, strikes a pose, hops down, gets ready, but Clay Reinhart stands his ground, smiling, urging JP to come – which he does, gladly, bounces off the ropes, and then again, off the adjacent side, this time leaping onto the second rope, kicks off, ready to kick Clay’s head off – easily telegraph able, but somehow Clay stands his ground, confident – too confident, almost. Something is wrong, most definitely wrong, but by the time JP senses it, it’s too late, momentum sealing his fate as he finally catches a flurry of movement, Clay’s arm suddenly springing into motion and all he can do is close his eyes and hope for the best as–

CRACK!

And suddenly there’s a nightstick in Clay’s hand, twirling, used, as JP collapses to the ground, hard, the crash sending another wave of pain shooting through him as her reaches for his now shattered kneecap in agony, crying out…

But it’s not enough. It never is, and Amber screams, as Clay closes in, stands above JP’s remaining knee, and brings his nightstick crashing down.

And JP will never walk again.

Winner by KO: Clay Reinhart

(OR: 35% CR: 16% MQ: 54%)

4 - Dante Carter vs. Luther Fish

The ring is cleared, JP exiting via stretcher as Dante Carter and Luther Fish enter, the former without an official opponent, the latter having been given clearance from God, and he’s here to claim it, victory. Lock up to begin with, brief exchange of holds counter-holds, going nowhere, and they break off, circle each other, and then Dante amps up the pace with a superkick, but Luther leaps aside, bounces off the ropes, clothesline, ducked, but Luther keeps on going, rebounds, FLYING CROSS BODY, but Dante catches him, slams him into the canvas, the first major offence of the match, and it works.

A few stomps to soften him up, then a DDT to keep him down, but Luther staggers to his feet, blocks a punch, throws a few of his own, but his lacks the impact, the fury of Dante’s, and the best he can do is buy some time as he withdraws to the ropes, bouncing off and gaining the much needed momentum to clothesline Dante’s head off, metaphorically, at least. Jump up to the turnbuckle, the sign of the cross and he’s FLYING, soaring through the air as Dante gets up, only to be caught in a flying headlock, WRATH OF GOD, but somehow Dante shoves Luther away enough, spreading the impact, but not without receiving a nasty bump on his head.

Both men get up, but Luther, energy spent, looks the worse of the exchange, and the subsequent slugfest doesn’t help either, with Dante easily overpowering the man of faith. Desperate, Luther Fish falls back on THE POWER OF GOD, or as much his crucifix can symbolically represent, and swings, wood smacking against Dante’s shoulder, but Dante just sneers, snatches the cross, tosses it aside, laughs, “Your God can’t save you now, never will,” and kicks Luther in the gut, The Inferno, and Luther’s out cold, the match won.

Winner by KO: Dante Carter

(OR: 48% CR: 32% MQ: 64%)

5 - Interview with Brad Reynolds

The ring’s barely begun to clear out when there’s an interruption, Brad Reynolds hobbling into the arena, recovered, or at least, recovering, his eyes betraying the painkillers keeping him running, keeping the pain from his broken arm from overwhelming him, as he stumbles towards the ring, ready to defend his title, no matter the cost.

“I’ve been through worse,” he says, a shake of the arm to prove his point, and then a slight grimace, nothing more. “Discipline, self control – it’s not just about being able to defeat one’s opponent. It’s about being able to defeat yourself. Overconfidence, cowardice, pain – they’re nothing more than mental hurdles to overcome, imaginary limits telling you what you can and cannot do. To achieve true mastery of one’s self, is to break through these self-imposed barriers, to go beyond one’s natural limits. It is to be able to suppress the pain, to be able to control it. To shut it out, to be able to focus on what really matters – and this, this championship, is it. To defend my title, and to bring prestige to this promotion – that’s what’s really important. Dante Carter, you want your title shot? Well, I’m ready. I’ve conquered myself – and now, all that’s left is to conquer this ring.”

(OR: 58%)

6 - Interview with Dante Carter

And Brad Reynolds drops the microphone, clambers into the ring, but Dante Carter stops him, shakes his head – no.

“This is not what I want,” he says, “I won’t fight you – not like this. You can stop the pain, pretend it’s not there, but you can’t stop yourself from dying. I’ve seen people with their stomachs slashed open, with their guts hanging out, thinking, believing that they can still fight. I’ve seen them, clawing pathetically at their foes, thinking that willpower alone can save them from the physical reality of death. And I’ve watched them expire – just like you will if you keep this up. And I won’t let that happen – not here, not tonight. I’ve waited a long time for the respect and satisfaction victory should have earned me – and I won’t cheapen it by taking you on tonight, not in this state. Now go home Brad, before you kill yourself. Because if you’re going to die, it’ll by my hands, and my hands alone. Because you’re right Brad – you are the best, and I won’t taint my victory with Clay Reinhart’s handiwork. Trust me, the time where I shall defeat you will come, eventually – and until then, I will be waiting.”

And then he slides out of the ring, heads backstage, as Brad is left with a challenger – but not for long, as Luther Fish staggers to his feet, blindsides Brad with a clothesline – and the match is ON!

(OR: 42%)

7 - Federation Championship Match: Luther Fish vs. Brad Reynolds

Not surprisingly, Luther Fish goes straight for Brad Reynolds’ arm, and it shows, as Brad quickly falls behind from Luther’s opening attack, quickly retreating in pain, but still manages to defend himself with a CHOP from his good hand, knocks Luther back, buys him enough time to roll out of the ring, gather his strength, and rolls back in. Luther’s back on the arm again, but this time, Brad somehow holds himself together despite the pain, CHOPS him again and again, but there’s only so much pain he can takes, and he drops to his knees, yells, narrowly ducks a kick to the head, and then, one step at a time, forces himself to stand up, face his opponent, only to get smacked in the face, and he’s down again, gripping his arm as Luther Fish takes advantage of the situation, stomps away and suddenly, the idea that he might just lose this one occurs to Brad Reynolds. And suddenly, he is filled with fear, as he acknowledges the possibility, growing larger with each successive stomp, and he is afraid, knows that he just can’t let that happen – won’t let it happen, never mind the arm – and when Luther Fish stomps again, he seizes hold of the leg, pulls him down, Luther’s weight upon his elbow nearly causing him to pass out again, but somehow Brad holds on, clambers up his body even as Luther struggles to fight him off, DRAGON SLEEPER, but it’s hurting him as much as Luther, and he’s screaming, and so is Luther, and it’s become a battle of endurance, pain coursing through the bodies of both men, until finally, Luther gives way, taps, and just in time too, as Brad collapses to the mat, having taken the victory, but hardly able to celebrate it.

He’s barely able to stand up on his own when suddenly a sharp pain shoots through his neck, and he’s falling, realizing as he does so that he’s just been ambushed, attacked with his guard down, but not for long, as he quickly spins around, fists up, ready to fight. But he’s not expecting this, and freezes, as he looks into the face of his mystery attacker, eye widening, momentarily stunned as he registers his identity, and utters a single word of confusion:

“Bro?”

Winner by Submission: Brad Reynolds

(OR: 46% CR: 31% MQ: 61%)

8 - Interview with Brian Reynolds

“Surprised much?” the man asks, as Brad Reynolds glances about nervously, but still he stands firm as his brother talks him down. “It’s been what, four, five years since you last came home? Five years since you took off on your little fantasy trip, to become what, this? A one-eyed freak? Five years I worked my ass off looking after Mom – double jobs, paying the bills, keeping the bread on the table – yet not once did I get a shred of thanks. It was always about Brad, the great Brad Reynolds, who would one day become a legend, and save us from the depths of poverty. And I almost bought it too – until the day Mom died, and I realized what a fool I was for buying into your pathetic dreams. What good have you ever done for our family? I brought in the money, real money, while you were hiding in some mountain somewhere, cut off from the rest of the world. Well, you can’t hide forever Brad – it’s time to face up to reality.”

“Brian, look,” Brad begins, but is cut off before he can say anymore, abruptly, as his brother takes another step forward, placing a finger mockingly on Brad’s lips.

“Don’t talk. You can’t avoid this bro, not anymore.”

(OR: 50%)

9 - Brad Reynolds vs. Brian Reynolds

HARD right fist across the face puts Brad Reynolds down almost instantly, who makes the mistake of trying to break his fall with his injured arm, and it costs him, nearly paralyzing him with pain, but somehow he gets up to his knees, looks into the eyes of his opponent, mouths a “Why?” but Brian won’t entertain him, slaps him across the chest instead, yells.

“What, am I not good enough for you?” A kick to the chest, Brad crying out in pain, but still he refuses to fight, struggling back up again, head lowered, another slap. “Don’t have the years of training to be respected, huh?” Brad drags himself back up again, but there’s only so much pain he can take, and this time, it’s slower, his breathing heavier as he struggles to get back on his feet, but still he won’t strike. “Come on, FIGHT ME!” but shouting isn’t going to get Brian anywhere, and neither does the knee to the face, and Brian realizes this, has enough, lowers his shoulder, prepares to swing, but still Brad does nothing, keeping his head lowered, passive, even as Brian’s fist connects with his jaw, and the pain finally gets to him, and he passes out.

“This isn’t over yet bro,” Brian spits, saliva smacking against Brad’s unconscious cheek. “Not by a long shot.”

Winner by KO: Brian Reynolds

(OR: 43% CR: 24% MQ: 62%)

Overall Rating for The Heart of Darkness: 45%

Edited by Gongsun Zan

• 10 months later...