WWE Smackdown's Savior

mrhelm

Monday, August 2, 2004

Not a lot to report today. I learned I was receiving a raise today, as Vince is quite happy with the rebound I've given to Smackdown's ratings. He tried to convince me to move over and start booking RAW, but I politely refused. Smackdown's my baby, and I plan on taking care of it.

Vince, however, seems very worried about the current decline in company business, as TNA seems to be proving itself as an alternative, although a still relatively unknown one. Impact's been steadily increasing in the ratings since mid-July, so we're keeping a close eye on them here. I personally don't see them as much of a threat right now, but they definitely have the potential to become a strong competitor in the next five years.

I have a meeting with Torrie Wilson tomorrow before the show. Apparently, she's been unhappy with her televised role (i.e. nothing) as of late.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, August 3, 2004

I sat down with Torrie Wilson today, and we discussed her current position with the company. She's very upset about not having any place on the program for weeks, and the incident with Sable last week just drove home the point. I've promised to work her back in to the storyline post-SummerSlam, most likely in to Kurt Angle's post-SummerSlam feud.

Smackdown Preview for August 5

A jam-packed Smackdown comes your way as SummerSlam is just ten day away! Perhaps the biggest news is the debut of a new General Manager to Smackdown. Who will take the new position of power with the brand? Only Vince McMahon knows for certain!

Two big matches have already been signed for tonight's show! First, newcomers Los Luchadores Loco will collide with the team of Akio and Sakoda, and the winners will receive a shot at Billy Kidman and Paul London's WWE tag team titles at Summerslam. Plus, the Cruiserweight title is on the line, as Rey Mysterio receives a rematch with the Axis Power's Nunzio. Kenzo Suzuki and John Bradshaw Layfield have been banned from ringside. Can Nunzio pull off the victory without his allies in the Axis Powers to aide him?

All this, plus appearance by all the Smackdown stars, this Thursday night, only on UPN!

Wednesday, August 4, 2004

Both of the debuts came off without a hitch last night. The new GM fit in to his role perfectly, but his previous experience as Commissioner a few years back assuredly helped. I think he'll blend in well with the more technically proficient wrestlers on Smackdown as well.

I will be paying a visit to Ohio Valley Wrestling at the end of the week, and hopefully, I'll see some good progress by some of the recruits in development. I'm hoping for one or two of them to be ready to make their debuts by sometime next month.

Smackdown from JHawk's Beak

August 5, 2004

http://www.thesmartmarks.com

Segment 1

Taped 8/3/2004. The show opens with an all new entrance theme, and out from the back emerges William Regal in suit and tie. Regal heads to the ring, where he informs us that he is the new general manager of Smackdown. He says he will not sit idly by as the superstars run amuck as Kurt Angle did, he will take action. Already he has booked a huge main event, pitting Eddie Guerrero and Charlie Haas vs John Bradshaw Layfield and Kenzo Suzuki. Not only that, but he's also booked a number one contenders match for Paul London and Billy Kidman's tag team titles and it's right now!

One fall for the #1 contendership to the WWE Tag Team titles: Los Luchadores Loco vs Akio and Sakoda

Juvi gets caught in a full nelson by Sakoda, who lands a dragon suplex. Juvi slips out of a waistlock by Sakoda, than scores with a drop toe hold. Guerrera scores with a quick elbow from the second rope. Tag between Juvi and Nicho Millonario. Millonario scores with a flying neckbreaker. Nicho goes for a clothesline, but Sakoda sidesteps and scores with a clothesline. Sakoda tags out to Akio. Akio scores with a kick right to Nicho Millonario's jaw. Hard back suplex on Nicho. Nicho powers out of leg lock by getting to the ropes. Akio blocks a kick, but gets hit by an enzuigiri. Nicho dives to his corner to tag in Juventud Guerrera. Guerrera scores with a slingshot clothesline, but can only get two on the pin fall. Akio scores with an eye rake, than dives to his own corner to tag in Sakoda. Sakoda goes for a Samoan drop, but gets a flying head scissors instead. Nicho and Sakoda begin to trade blows, when Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley charge in to the ring. The Dudleys attack both Nicho and Sakoda, laying both men out. Juventud and Akio come running in, but Akio gets sent over the top rope, while Guerrera receives a 3D. The ref calls for the bell and a no contest, but the Dudleys have already laid waist to the competitors in the ring. *** 1/4. Very good high flying match up.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A very good match to warm up the crowd featuring much cruiserweight goodness. Sakoda looks like he's actually learned how to work in the ring as well, which comes as a bit of a surprise. I'd rather not have either of these teams be jobbed out to the Dudleys however.

Segment 2

Vince McMahon comes out to the ring, where he then calls out a man who did the right thing last Saturday night on Velocity, Billy Gunn. Billy's music hits and he comes down to the ring, where he tells us that Hardcore Holly was worthless as a partner. Only because of his repeated experience in tag team competition were their team even able to pick up a win. But those days are past, and Billy's got Vincent K. McMahon to thank for that. That's why he's agreed to do Vince a favor by destroying Kurt Angle in his in ring return tonight!

John Cena vs Jamie Noble

John Cena scores with a running clothesline to Jamie Noble. Scoop and slam plants Noble. John Cena goes for the Five Knuckle Shuffle, but Noble rolls out of the way. Noble scores with a basement dropkick to the knee. Snap suplex, and Noble covers for a two count. John Cena elbows Jamie Noble to free himself from a hammerlock. Cena scores with a shoulder back toss. He covers, but Noble comes up just after two. Reverse suplex by John Cena, but Noble comes up at two yet again. Noble blocks another suplex attempt, than scores with a clothesline. Cena doesn't go down, so Noble backs up and goes for another one, but Cena ducks under, than scores with a big boot on Noble's return trip. Cena lifts Noble up on to his shoulders, than scores with the F-U. He makes the cover for the three count. As soon as the bell rings, Booker T runs in from the crowd, whips Cena around, than scores with the Book End. * 1/4.

Booker T grabs a microphone and he says he wants to finish John Cena once and for all, and challenges him to a match at SummerSlam. Cena agrees and tells Booker T that his ass is grass.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A solid segment that sets up the SummerSlam match rather well. Gunn's heel turn seems less than interesting, but Kurt Angle's return to ring work should be good.

Segment 3

Akio and Sakoda and Los Luchadores Loco are already in new general manager William Regal's office, complaining about the non-finish to their #1 contendership match earlier in the evening. Regal tells them that he's come up with a fair decision to determine the tag team champions at SummerSlam. We will see Kidman and London take on the team of Juventud Guerrera and Nicho Millonario, Los Luchadores Loco, Japanese sensations Akio and Sakoda AND Bubba Ray and D-Von the Dudley Boyz, but it won't be in just any match; no, it will be in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs Match!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

This should be an interesting match to see at SummerSlam. Whether or not the three new teams can pull off the same kind of spectacle that the Dudleys, Hardys and Edge & Christian put on should be interesting.

Segment 4

One fall: Kurt Angle vs Billy Gunn

Angle and Gunn lock up as the match gets underway. Angle gets the advantage and scores with a pair of chps across the chest of Billy Gunn. Snap suplex by Angle. Angle pulls Gunn back up, and this time scores with the belly-to-belly suplex. Angle covers but Gunn comes out after two. Kurt yanks Billy to his feet, but Gunn kicks Angle in the gut to free himself. Billy hits the ropes, than scores a clothesline on Kurt Angle. Gunn lifts Kurt up, than slams him back to the mat. He covers, but only gets two. Angle steps away from a Famouser attempt, than scores with a German suplex. Angle bridges but Gunn gets out just before three. Angle swings wildly, and Gunn ducks under. Gunn scores with a side slam. Gunn lifts Angle up to go for a piledriver, but Angle wraps both arms around Gunn's foot, than flips him over and in to the Ankle Lock! Gunn tries to power up, but Angle refuses to let him move, and Billy has no choice but to tap out. Kurt Angle celebrates in the ring, but Luther Reigns starts his way down from the back. Angle beckons at Luther to bring it, but Billy Gunn scores with a double axe handle from behind. Luther comes in to the ring, where he lands the Reign Fall. * 1/4 rating.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A solid return match for Kurt, although nothing too spectacular. Gunn put on the same boring match he's done so many times before.

Segment 5

A video plays as we return from break, telling us Kid Kash will make his debut in just two weeks.

Michael Cole and Tazz run down the history of Rey Mysterio and Nunzio who will meet tonight in a rematch for the cruiserweight title. They inform us that GM Regal has banned members of the Axis Powers from ringside to guarantee a fair competition. That match is up next.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

We'll see if Kid Kash proves to be less of a problem child in WWE.

Segment 6

One fall for the WWE Cruiserweight championship: Rey Mysterio vs Nunzio © (w/ Dawn Marie)

Nunzio scores with an arm drag, and he locks on an arm bar to keep Mysterio on the mat. Mysterio powers up, and Nunzio scores with a wicked chop. Dragon suplex on Rey Mysterio! Nunzio pulls Rey to his feet, but Rey flies up and scores a head scissors takedown on Nunzio. Rey bounces off the ropes to land a dropkick on Nunzio. Cover, but it only gets two. Rey goes for a facecrusher, but Nunzio reverses it in to a sideslam. Nunzio lights up Mysterio with a trio of chops, than scores with a vertical suplex in to a cover for a two count. Nunzio goes to the second rope and scores with a flying clothesline on Mysterio. Nunzio covers but Rey throws the shoulder up just before three. Nunzio goes for a slam, but Mysterio reverses it in to a Tornado DDT. Mysterio whips Nunzio in to position, than scores with the 619. Dawn Marie comes in to the ring as Mysterio lands the Drop the Dime. The ref deals with Dawn Marie as a man emerges from the crow to score a massive backbreaker on Rey. The man lifts Rey up, than scores with a massive boot as we realize it's none other than Chuck Palumbo. Palumbo rolls Rey back in to the ring, allowing Nunzio to make the cover for the three count. Nunzio and Palumbo continue to kick the downed Mysterio until Rob Van Dam charges to the ring to make the save, *** 1/4 rating.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A very solid cruiserweight title match. Nunzio's really getting to shine in the division, and hopefully he'll be given continued prominence as a cruiserweight. Palumbo's return was a bit of a surprise, but he definitely fits in to the Axis Powers's structure.

Segment 7

Chuck Palumbo congratulates Nunzio when John Bradshaw Layfield and Kenzo Suzuki arrive to congratulate him as well. The trio welcome Palumbo to the Axis Powers at the same time. William Regal interrupts them, however, and says that Palumbo's interference has earned Rey Mysterio another shot at the cruiserweight title, this time at SummerSlam!

We go to Eddie Guerrero next, whose backstage with Josh Matthews. Josh asks Eddie his thoughts about tonight's tag team competition. Eddie tells Josh he doesn't fear Bradshaw one bit, because at SummerSlam he will regain his WWE title. But tonight, he and his homes Charlie Haas plan on teaching the Axis Powers another lesson.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Good set up for both a match at SummerSlam and the main event. Should be interesting to see how both play out.

Segment 8

Tag team match scheduled for one fall: Eddie Guerrero and Charlie Haas vs WWE champion John Bradshaw Layfield and United States champion Kenzo Suzuki (w/ Hiroko)

Eddie Guerrero comes out of nowhere with a flying neckbreaker on Kenzo Suzuki. Eddie follows up with a kick to the midsection, right in to a vertical suplex. Guerrero tags in Charlie Haas, who comes off the top rope with an elbow. Charlie lifts Suzuki up and scores with a Dragon suplex. He covers but gets only two on the pin. Kenzo avoids a kick, than scores with a clothesline. Suzuki tags out to JBL. Bradshaw scores with a scoop slam on Charlie Haas. Big boot by JBL. Bradshaw covers, but Haas is out after 2. Haas blocks a punch, than scores with a dropkick on JBL. Tag between Haas and Eddie Guerrero. Eddie scores with his triple verticals on Bradshaw. He signals for the Frog Splash, but Kenzo runs in and clotheslines him. Haas follows Suzuki in, and scores with a belly-to-belly suplex. Guerrero lays a couple of punches in to JBL, but Bradshaw ducks the third, than scores with a stiff punch of his own. JBL scores with a Fallaway slam. He covers, and Kenzo Suzuki holds down Guerrero's feet! The ref doesn't see it and he makes the three count. Charlie Haas rushes in to help Eddie, but gets hit by a Clothesline from Hell for his trouble. Bradshaw and Kenzo beat down Eddie as Smackdown goes off the air. ** 1/2.

END OF SHOW

A solid show which served as a solid build-up to SummerSlam. We've got three more matches set-up, plus development on the feuds that are already booked. The Eddie/JBL blowoff match seems ready to go, and any card that features a TLC match and a Hell in the Cell seems ready to be insane.

Guest y2gudge

Using both a HIAC and a TLC match at the same event could burn out the crowd but I will wait to see how Summerslam goes down. The Axis Powers seem to have very little in common in my eyes, maybe you could let me know your vision for the stable and why you chose the entrants to make me see the connection you are going for?

I am liking Juvi & Millonario as a team though, but they shouldn't have the straps yet - I'm hoping for a London & Kidman retain there...

*y2gudge*

The Recap: Velocity

Moore Hott (Shannon Moore and Scotty 2 Hotty) vs the Basham Brothers

Scotty 2 Hotty and Shannon Moore take it to the much heavier veterans in the early goings of this conflict, but the Bashams strength and pure brutality proved too much for Moore Hott as the match continued. Doug Basham ultimately picked up the win after landing a spinebuster from the second rope on Scotty 2 Hotty.

Rating: ** 1/4. Solid match. The Bashams continue to be impressive in the ring.

-Commercial-

Booker T is backstage with Mike Sanders. He ripped in to both Rico, who he will face tonight, and John Cena, who he promised to destroy come SummerSlam.

Orlando Jordan is backstage where he is chatting with Rico. Rico leaves to prepare for his match, and Torrie Wilson walks up to Orlando. She tells Orlando that she's seen him in the ring, and she likes what she sees. She rubs a hand across Orlando Jordan's chest as she walks away.

-Commercial-

Booker T vs Rico (w/ Miss Jackie)

Rico looked good in his first match after returning from an injury, taking it to the five time World champion Booker T. The match continued onwards though, and Booker T gained control. Booker beat Rico down mercilessly, but refused to make the pin. Booker gets ready for a Scissors Kick when John Cena charges down to the ring. Cena whips Booker T around and starts punching. The ref calls for the bell just as Cena kicks Booker in the gut and hoists him up. F-U on Booker T! Cena trash talks over Booker T as Velocity goes to commercial.

Rating: * 1/2. A solid if unspectacular match.

-Commercial-

Mike Sanders catches up with Rob Van Dam backstage. Cena cuts a short rhyme about Booker, calling him a bitch and saying he'll beat him come SummerSlam.

Rob Van Dam is seen heading to the ring, ready for his match against former friend Spike Dudley.

-Commercial-

Rob Van Dam vs Spike Dudley

Rob Van Dam seemed reluctant to fight his much smaller former friend, but Spike showed no such remorse. Spike attacked RVD with every dirty trick in the book. Rob Van Dam had no choice but to retaliate, and he takes control of the match. Spike ducks a clothesline and the referee goes down, allowing Bubba Ray Dudley to run down and hit RVD from behind. D-Von Dudley joins him and the pair hit the 3-D on Rob Van Dam. They slide out of the ring as Spike makes the cover. The ref recovers just in time to make the three count.

Rating: *. Nothing special but it serves to cement Spike Dudley as a heel.

Paul Heyman joins all three of the Dudley Boyz in the ring. He rips in to Rob Van Dam, saying that the Dudley Boyz are now an unstoppable force ripping through Smackdown and RVD was just their first victim.

We go backstage where we see Theodore Long psyching up Mark Jindrak and Rene Dupree, the Bombshells, before their match with London and Kidman.

-Commercial-

Billy Kidman and Paul London © vs The Bombshells for the WWE Tag Team titles

The much bigger and stronger team, the Bombshells, seemed to have this match well in hand, but the tag team champions refused to stay down. The Bombshells ripped in to Billy Kidman for several minutes, but Kidman woudln't stay down. Kidman finally gets to his corner after landing an enzuigiri. London comes in and takes it to Rene Dupree. Paul London takes Dupree down to the mat witha Russian leg sweep, than picks up the win with the London Calling.

Rating: ** 1/2

Akio and Sakoda come running out of the back and attack the tag team champins as they clebrate. They nail Paul London with the Double DDT, than Sakoda launches Kidman face first in to the ring post. Akio and Sakoda hold up the tag team titles as if to promise a victory at SummerSlam!

Final Thoughts: A good solid show. Both the opening and main event tag matches were solid, while RVD/Spike and Booker T/Rico continued two storylines from last week's Smackdown. And the angle with Orlando Jordan and Torrie Wilson seems set up perfectly to finally give Jordan some kind of push.

Monday, August 9, 2004

I've received some grumbles from the writers of RAW about Smackdown featuring two gimmick matches on Sunday's show. I questioned it myself, but I feel a strong gimmick match was necessary to bring Eddie and JBL to an end once and for all, while TLC can cement the four teams participating as the new faces of the tag division. All four teams are great competitors, and I believe that all of them can shine in the matchup.

But I think the most important reason for the two big gimmick bouts are that Smackdown still needs them. The show's improved drastically over the last six weeks, but the brand just doesn't have the massive star power of RAW. Within another month or so I feel that it can be, but with SummerSlam we really needed to focus on getting the fan's attention again. Even doing Eddie/Bradshaw again could prove to be hard to get over, but I think the pair can make it work.

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

My first pre-PPV show came off without any major glitches. I booked quite a lot towards the TLC, trying to show Akio & Sakoda and Los Luchadores Loco in action on the A show before their pay-per-view debuts.

Smackdown Preview for August 12

SummerSlam is only three days away and that means only three days to Eddie Guerrero vs John Bradshaw Layfield facing off in Hell in a Cell! Will JBL and the Axis Powers try to cement a victory by assaulting Latino Heat? With the Axis Powers together on Smackdown anything is possible.

Also we'll see four of the participants of the explosive TLC match come together in singles matches before their huge match at SummerSlam. Akio will face one-half of the tag team champions, Paul London, while Juventud Guerrera will go one-on-one with D-Von Dudley! With the brutal match in just three days, will these four men take it easy, or will they try to gain an advantage by taking it to the competition tonight?

Plus, John Cena and Kurt Angle will form an uneasy partnership to take on Booker T and Luther Reigns, plus Rey Mysterio and Rob Van Dam will team up against the former FBI, Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo.

Smackdown looks to be almost as explosive as SummerSlam, so don't forget to tune in Thursday night, only on UPN!

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

While not the attention builders that TLC and Hell in a Cell are, I think John Cena/Booker T and Rey Mysterio/Nunzio could be barn burners as JR might say. Along with Kurt Angle vs Luther Reigns, I think we've got a solid card on the Smackdown side. Hopefully, everyone involved will put on a command performance. I'd love to see SummerSlam draw a larger buy-rate as the show has some great matches booked.

Smackdown from JHawk's Beak

August 12, 2004

Segment 1

Taped 8/10/2004. Smackdown opens with Vince McMahon's music. The WWE Owner heads down to the ring where he grabs a microphone. Vince says he's had some problems with one specific member of the roster in the last few weeks and that's why he feels its high time to teach that man a lesson. And who better to do it, than that man's former confident. That's why at SummerSlam we will see Kurt Angle take on Luther Reigns one on one! Kurt Angle interrupts the proceedings and informs Vince that he didn't want to take on Luther. He wants Vince one-on-one in the ring, and they'd settle this the old fashioned way. Vince seems to consider the idea for a moment, but it's only a distraction as Luther charges out of the back and hits Kurt from behind. Vince tells Kurt to get ready for his match tonight, as he'd be teaming with one of his least favorite people, John Cena, to take on Luther and Booker T!

COMMERCIAL BREAK

An all right setup for another PPV match, although one that seems a little bland to me. We'll see if WWE can get Luther in to ring shape in order to make this SummerSlam match work. The main event should be an interesting contest, as Angle/Cena have a less than stellar history with one another.

Segment 2

Akio vs Paul London

London comes out of nowhere with a flying lariat. Head scissors takedown sends Akio to the mat. London gets a two count. Akio blocks a punch from London, than smacks London in the ribs with a kick. Running clothesline nearly takes London's head off. Akio covers but can't get past two on the count. Akio goes to the top rope, but London sidesteps his diving punch. Dragon suplex by Paul London. London scores with a flying cross body off the top. Cover, but Akio kicks out just before three. London tries to lock on a Boston Crab, but Akio powers his way to the works. Akio hits a kick to the gut of Paul London, than lands an X-Factor facecrusher on London. Akio drops to the mat, and both men are down. The ref beginst the ten count as Sakoda heads down to the ring. Both men in the ring begin to get to their feet. Akio moves to whip Paul London across the ring, but London reverses and Akio runs straight in to the ref. Sakoda slides in to the ring... and scores with a Roaring Elbow on Paul London! Akio goes to the top. Hang Time! Akio hooks the leg to get the three count on one half of the tag champions! Akio lifts London up so Sakoda can deliver more punishment, but Billy Kidman charges in to the ring to save his partner. **** rating.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

A very good match to help set up the TLC match at SummerSlam. Any chance to get Akio vs Paul London to occur should be instantly accepted by the WWE booking team. These two can seriously go, and I'd definitely like to see more matches like this one.

Segment 3

Eddie Guerrero comes down to the ring, where he starts to cut a promo against WWE champion John Bradshaw Layfield. This brings JBL out to the ring. The two of them exchange a few words in the middle of the ring. JBL seems to back down... but suddenly comes out of nowhere with his belt. He clocks Guerrero across the forehead, laying out Eddie. John Bradshaw Layfield stands over the downed Guerrero, proudly displaying his title.

Josh Matthews catches up with Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo backstage. Josh asks Nunzio his opinions on facing Rey Mysterio and RVD in a tag team match later tonight. Nunzio just laughs and says he's managed to easily beat Rey Mysterio on numerous occasions, so why should he and Palumbo have to worry about anything. No, they had it all taken care of tonight.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

We've got one last angle to set up what is hopefully the final match between Eddie Guerrero and John Bradshaw Layfield. They kept the conflict out of the main event which is best, as the feud has been getting tired for a couple of months now. The Nunzio interview was a good solid heel promo, and it shows why Nunzio deserves to be cruiserweight champion.

Segment 4

Rob Van Dam and Rey Mysterio vs Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo

Nunzio hits a drop toe hold on Rob Van Dam. He goes for a rear chin lock but RVD powers out. Nunzio tags out to Chuck Palumbo. Nunzio and Palumbo score with a double back drop. Chuck hits a brutal sideslam on RVD for a two count. Chuck goes for a right hand, but RVD ducks it, than scores with a kick to the gut. RVD scores with a leg lariat. RVD tags in Rey Mysterio. Mysterio comes off the top rope with a reverse elbow to Chuck Palumbo. Rey follows it up with a wheel kick for a two count. Nunzio tries to get in to the ring, and the ref moves to stop him, allowing Palumbo to score a low blow on Rey Mysterio. Gorilla Press Drop by Chuck Palumbo. Palumbo tags in Nunzio. Nunzio scores with a flying clothesline off the top rope. He covers, but Rey somehow gets the shoulder up. Nunzio sets the boots to Rey, but Rey powers to his feet. Rey scores with a running dropkick, which sends Nunzio in to the ropes. 619! He signals to RVD who goes to the top rope... Five Star Frog Splash! Van Dam rolls off Nunzio, allowing Rey to make the cover for the three count! *** 3/4 rating.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Another very good match setting up the second rematch between Rey Mysterio and Nunzio. It's a shame after a match like this that RVD doesn't even have a match at the PPV, but that doesn't effect the quality of this matchup. For a muscle man, Palumbo seems to be a solid old school heel. I doubt he'll ever have a chance to move much farther up the card than his current location, but he has the talent to be a solid midcarder for many years to come.

Segment 5

Kurt Angle is backstage with Mike Sanders. Sanders first asks Kurt how he feels, and Kurt asks Sanders if he wanted a clothesline to the back of the head. Than he could tell Kurt exactly how good it feels. Sanders than asks how it will effect his match later tonight, where he will team with his long time nemesis John Cena to take on Luther Reigns and Booker T. Angle says he'll do exactly what he did when he competed in the Olympics with a broken frickin' neck, he'll win.

The Dudley Boyz are backstage. Spike congratulates Bubba and D-Von for scoring a chance at the tag titles at SummerSlam. Paul Heyman says not to worry, because he's got a feeling Spike will have something to do at SummerSlam too.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Why is Mike Sanders an interviewer on Smackdown? He just appeared out of nowhere weeks ago and has remained a regular contributor since then. Does WWE have plans for him or has he been hired just to have yet another announcer?

The Angle promo was good, as usual. It solidifies him as a strong face competitor, and helped set up the main event nicely. The Dudleys angle seemed bland, but it did serve to set up their part in the TLC match on Sunday.

Segment 6

We're backstage where Charlie Haas lies bleeding on the ground. EMTs are checking on him as Michael Cole takes us back to footage during the break, where Kenzo Suzuki brutally attacks Charlie with a steel chair backstage. The announcers rip in to Suzuki for his heinous attack.

D-Von Dudley vs Juventud Guerrera

Juventud scores with a dropkick and D-Von goes down. Juventud locks on a rear chinlock, but D-Von powers up to his feet and than drops down for a jawbreaker. D-Von scores with a sideslam on Juvi. Juventud ducks a clothesline, and D-Von takes out the ref. Juventud scores with a neckbreaker off the top rope, but there's no ref to make the three count. Tornado DDT by Juvi, and the ref recovers in time to make a two count. D-Von reverses a suplex in to one of his own. Running neckbreaker by D-Von. Full Nelson Slam by D-Von who makes the cover. Juvi kicks out just before three and D-Von can't believe it. D-Von moves in, but Juvi catches D-Von with a kick to the gut. Juvi Driver! Juventud covers for the three count. Bubba Ray Dudley charges out to the ring, but he's cut off by Nicho Millonario. Nicho gets a Bubba Bomb for his trouble, and D-Von attacks Juvi from behind. This allows the Dudleys to score with a 3-D on Juventud Guerrera. * 1/2 rating.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

This match makes me feel sorry for Juventud Guerrera and Nicho Millonario. I know they're capable of some amazing matches, but they're just going to be dragged down by the Dudley Boyz at the current rate. Hopefully, a tag title reign can lead to some matches against London & Kidman or Akio & Sakoda which should prove more fruitful.

Segment 7

A video is played hyping the debut of Kid Kash next week on Smackdown.

The Smackdown announce team than turn things over to JR and the King who run down the RAW half of the Summerslam card:

Triple H vs Eugene

Hurricane & Rosey (w/ Animal) vs La Resistance for the World Tag Team titles

Trish Stratus vs Victoria for the Women's title

Edge vs Chris Jericho vs Batista for the IC title

Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton for the World Heavyweight title

We than get a rundown from Cole and Tazz:

John Cena vs Booker T

Kurt Angle vs Luther Reigns

TLC: London and Kidman vs the Dudley Boyz vs Akio & Sakoda vs Los Luchadores Loco

Rey Mysterio vs Nunzio for the Cruiserweight title

Hell in a Cell: John Bradshaw Layfield vs Eddie Guerrero

Not much to say here. It will be interesting to see if Kash can behave himself backstage. The SummerSlam card looks excellent from both show. Should be interesting to see if they can pull off some great matches on the card.

Segment 8

Luther Reigns and Booker T vs John Cena and Kurt Angle

Booker T lays in to John Cena with lefts and rights. Sideslam by Booker T. Booker tags out to Luther and the pair hit a double clothesline. Luther covers, but Cena kicks out at two. Powerslam by Luther just seems to crush John Cena. Luther lifts Cena up and seems to go for a piledriver, but Cena reverses it in to a backdrop. John Cena limps over to his corner, where he stares down Kurt Angle for a second before tagging his partner in. Angle scores with a back suplex on Luther that gets a two count. Luther kicks Angle in the gut, than scores with a clothesline. Luther tags out to Booker T. Stiff chops by Booker light up Kurt Angle. Flying tackle by Booker. Booker pushes Angle in to the ropes, but he gets too close and Cena scores with a blind tag. John Cena comes in and lays out Booker with a clothesline. Luther comes in and gets a clothesline as well. Booker spinaroonies to his feet behind Cena, than scores with a kick to the gut. Scissors Kick by Booker T. Booker rolls in to the cover for the three count. Kurt Angle charges in to the ring, and sends Booker over the top rope with a clothesline. Luther charges in with a clothesline, but Angle ducks under, and grabs Luther's ankle to trip him to the mat. Angle hooks on the Ankle Lock, and Luther screams in pain as Smackdown comes to a close. * 1/2 rating.

END OF SHOW

A decent final match that sets up two feuds for SummerSlam. John Cena vs Booker T could prove to be the sleeper that burns up the PPV, but we're have to wait and see. Luther still seems somewhat green to be in a match with Angle, but I'll give him the benefit of a doubt in this one. Hopefully, he'll prove me wrong with a solid in ring performance.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Everything is in place for SummerSlam, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. I'm a bit nervous too however, as I see this as a make or break moment for the show. Even so, I think that SummerSlam should deliver, and hopefully it will continue to draw interest back to Smackdown and Velocity.

Hopefully, Velocity should draw some attention as well, as it features the other four members of the TLC tag teams in singles matches. Not to mention the continuance of the Orlando Jordan/Torrie Wilson storyline I've started. Should be interesting to see how the fans like how that one plays out.

-Edited for stupid typo-

Edited by mrhelm

The Recap: Velocity for August 14, 2004

Sakoda vs Nicho Millonario

Once again, Sakoda comes off as a solid strong style worker, taking it to Nicho Millonario. But Nicho overcomes Sakoda with his speed, and nearly takes down Sakoda several times in the matchup. But Sakoda uses an exposed turnbuckle to take out Nicho and get the roll up for the win.

Rating: ** 1/4. Solid match that show why both men deserve a chance at the tag titles.

-COMMERCIAL-

Rico and Miss Jackie are backstage with Mike Sanders. Rico rips in to Billy Gunn, saying that unlike Booker T last week, he'd take Gunn down in their match.

Torrie Wilson is backstage, watching an Orlando Jordan match when Mark Jindrak appears and makes a crude sexual reference. She backs off, but Jindrak keeps on her, until Orlando Jordan walks in. Orlando moves to attack Jindrak, but Torrie holds him back, allowing Mark Jindrak to run away.

Rico vs Billy Gunn

Billy Gunn turned in to a monster power wrestler in this match, just ripping apart Rico through the course of the mattch. But Miss Jackie climbs up to ringside and flashes some ass at Billy as a distraction. Rico hits a neckbreaker followed up by the Roundhouse Kick for the three count.

Rating: **. Too much Billy, not enough Rico. Hopefully, Rico will get some more exposure now that his former tag partner Charlie Haas is involved in a feud for the US title.

-COMMERCIAL-

Chavo Guerrero comes out to the ring, where he tells the fans he's proud of his cousin Eddie for getting another title shot at SummerSlam, but he thinks that he deserves more. His speech is interrupted by all three of the Dudleys who rip in to Chavo before landing a 3-D. Spike than grabbed the mic and promised he'd make an impact at SummerSlam.

-COMMERCIAL-

Orlando Jordan vs Mark Jindrak

Jordan is his typical self, taking every move that Jindrak can use against him. Out of nowhere, Jordan scores with a spear as Torrie Wilson comes to ringside to watch the action. Jindrak turns and makes a lewd gesture at Torrie, and this sets Orlando off. Orlando attacks with furious punches, than lands a snap suplex. He rolls through, landing two more suplexes, rolling over to dover after the third. 1... 2... 3, Jordan picks up his first win in months. Rene Dupree runs down to save his partner, but Orlando pulls Torrie to safety rather than fight.

Rating: ** 1/2. Out of nowhere Orlando Jordan seems to be getting a push. It will be interesting to see how much they develop his relationship with Torrie.

-COMMERCIAL-

Billy Kidman vs Bubba Ray Dudley

Bubba Ray attacks with full power in this match, but nothing he throws cann connect with the much faster Kidman. Kidman takes control with a missile dropkick, and eventually hits the Shooting Star Press for the three count.

Rating: **

Final Thoughts: Not as good as the past few weeks's Velocities, but still a solid show that helped promote the TLC match. Also it seems that Orlando Jordan and Rico are finally going to receive some TV time and a push, which can do nothing but help the somewhat weaker Smackdown roster.

HEAT Main Event: Charlie Haas vs Kenzo Suzuki for the United States title

Charlie Haas and Kenzo Suzuki seemed rather evenly matched in their match for the United States title, but ultimately, Haas fell to the mob tactics of the Axis Powers. Hiroko summoned Chuck Palumbo from the back, who landed a Jungle Kick on Charlie Haas while the ref was out. Kenzo than landed a Face Claw Slam for the three count.

Rating: ** 3/4

The Royal Treatment and JHawk's Beak: SummerSlam 2004

August 15, 2004

Jim Ross and Jerry "The King" Lawler invite us to SummerSlam following the opening pyro, and we start things off with the World Tag Team titles on the line!

Hurricane and Rosey (w/ Animal) vs La Resistance (w/ Pierre Carl Oulette)

The Hurricane and Sly start things off. Hurricane ducks a clothesline, than scores with a running dropkick. Hurricane scores with a flying neckbreaker, than covers, but only gets two. Hurricane tags in Rosey and Hurricane whips Grenier in to a body block by Rosey. Rosey follows up with a bodyslam. Oulette grabs Rosey's legs to distract the big man, allowing Grenier to get to his feet and tag in Robert Conway. Conway scores with a clothesline. He follows up with a Russian leg sweep which gets two. Conway goes to the top rope and scores with a flying clothesline. Conway locks on an armbar, but Rosey powers to his feet, than tosses Conway across the ring. Rosey tags in Hurricane. Hurricane scores with a flying wheel kick. Grenier blind tags Conway, but Hurricane is ready and ducks under Grenier's clothesline. Dragon suplex by Hurricane! Robert Conway tries to run in, but he gets his head taken off by Rosey. Outside the ring, Oulette grabs a chair, but he's intercepted by Animal who starts laying in punch after punch. Hurricane pulls Sylvan Grenier up, and scores with the Eye of the Hurricane. 1... 2... 3... and we've got new tag champions!

Rating: 3/10

Thoughts: It only took a year, but Hurricane and Rosey actually seem to be going somewhere. The addition of Road Warrior Animal makes for an interesting "Justice League". It should be interesting to see if they'll continue their feud with La Resistance or move on to bigger things.

We go backstage, apparently in to the locker room of Rey Mysterio. Bubba Ray Dudley enters the room and Rey asks him what he wants. Bubba doesn't speak, just attacks. D-Von Dudley joins him and the pair beat down Rey in his locker room. They ultimately hit a 3-D that puts Rey through a bench in the locker room. They leave Rey in a heap on the floor.

JR and King turn things over to Michael Cole and Tazz, who run down the last few months in the life of Kurt Angle before the next match.

One fall: Kurt Angle vs Luther Reigns

Luther slaps Kurt across the face to start things out. Kurt slaps Luther back, but the big man barely seems to feel it. Luther clothesline Kurt to the mat. But Kurt moves with lightning speed and yanks Luther down to the mat. He grabs Luther's ankle and goes for the anklelock but Reigns powers to the ropes. Kurt lays some boots in to Luther before the ref pulls him away. Luther tries to whip Angle across the ring, but Angle reverses it and yanks Luther to him. Overhead belly-to-belly suplex! Angle turns and waits for Luther to stagger to his feet. Angle Slam. Angle covers for the three count. * 1/2 star rating.

Vince McMahon appears on the entrance ramp, clapping. He congratulates Kurt, but says that Kurt's hell has only begun. The Big Show appears behind Kurt and Kurt turns around right in to a choke slam! Big Show holds his arm in the air and bellows before we switch to backstage.

Eugene are backstage, where Todd Grisham is trying to get Eugene's thoughts on his match with Triple H tonight. Eugene pretends to be an airplane, and than makes machine gun noises. He says he's a fighter plane and he's going to blow up Triple H really good tonight.

Chris Jericho vs Edge © vs Batista in a Triple Threat match for the Intercontinental title

Jericho waffles Batista with a pair of stiff chops. Edge just watces on as Y2J lands a side kick on Batista. Batista reverses an attempted suplex in to a snap powerbomb. He covers Jericho, but Edge is quick to break up the count. Edge whips Batista across the ring, than clotheslines him out of the ring. Jericho comes in from behind with a neckbreaker. Y2J tries to lock in the Walls of Jericho, but Egde rolls through. Edge goes for the Edgecator, but Batista runs in. Batista whips Edge in to the far turnbuckle, and Edge goes down hard. Batista snap suplexes Y2J. Y2J goes for a leg sweep, but Batista counters with an eye rake! Batista lifts Jericho up, than scores with the Batista Buster! Batista hooks the leg for the three count to become the NEW Intercontineal champion! Edge comes to and can't believe his eyes; he's lost the IC title without being pinned. Batista leaves the ring, still displaying his title, when Edge starts laying the boots in to Y2J! Edge lifts Y2J up, than lands the Edgecution.

Rating: 5/10

Thoughts: A solid showing by Chris Jericho and Edge is somewhat marred by the slower style of Batista. Nonetheless, the match proved to be one of Batista's best, and hopefully an IC title reign will help secure Batista as a player in the future.

JR and the King then recap the history of the Matt Hardy/Kane feud, leading up to the Til Death Do Us Part match tonight.

Til Death Do Us Part no-DQ match: Matt Hardy (w/ Lita) vs Kane

Matt Hardy collides in to Kane, landing punch after punch in an attempt to bring the big man down. Hardy hits the ropes for a clothesline, but only manages to eat Kane's boot. Kane slams down Matt full force, and Matt winces in pain. Kane covers but Matt kicks out after two. Kane goes to the top and goes for his flying punch, but Matt rolls out of the way. Dropkick by Matt staggers Kane. Matt goes to the top. Missile dropkick takes Kane off his feet! Matt lands several kicks to the leg, than hits a standing leg drop. Matt goes for a pin, but Kane pushes a shoulder up. Kane locks a hand around Hardy's neck. He stands up, looking for the chokeslam, but Hardy claws Kane's eyes to get free. Matt hits a Side Effect, but Kane comes back to hsi feet quickly. Lita comes in to the ring with a steel chair. Matt smiles as she moves in towards Kane. She smiles too, than turns and blasts Matt Hardy over the forehead! Kane starts laughing, than he hoists Matt up and lands the chokeslam! He than covers for the three count. Lita kicks Matt between the legs before she walks off hand in hand with Kane.

Rating: 4/10

Thoughts: First Trish, now Lita. Are there any face women left? Seriously, this is the best way this feud could end, with Matt going on the shelf. Hopefully, Kane and Lita as a unit can lead to some kind of cohesive push for Kane.

Michael Cole and Tazz comment on the heinous actions of Kane themselves before recapping the history of the four tag teams involved in the Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match tonight.

TLC Match: Akio and Sakoda vs Kidman and London © vs Los Luchadores Loco vs the Dudley Boyz

Spin kick by Akio sends Paul London flying across the ring. Akio turns and lands a nice hurracanrana on Akio. Sakoda blocks a punch from D-Von, than counters with a stiff chop of his own. Juventud Guerrera takes a massive back suplex by Akio than leaves him on the mat, looking hurt. Kidman pulls himself up in the corner, and Sakoda runs in, but only manages to eat boot. Nicho takes Bubba down with a flying cross body, than follows up with a leg drop right to the head! D-Von has retrieved a ladder from outside, and he runs it right in to the gut of Paul London. D-Von gets taken out by a dropkick on the ladder by Nicho. Kidman lights up Nicho's chest with some stiff chops. Kidman lands a dropkick that sends Nicho flying back. London's setting up a table, and Kidman whips Nicho up on to it. London goes to the top rope... London Calling puts Nicho through the table! London's down too. Akio whips Kidman around, and scores with a kick to the side of the head. Bubba Ray scores with a chair shot to the back of Akio. Juventud Guerrera sweeps the legs out from under Bubba. He lays kick after kick in to Bubba's leg. London is back on his feet setting up a ladder, and he ducks a clothesline by Sakoda. London whips Sakoda face first in to the ladder. D-Von attacks Juvi from behind to save Bubba, but Nicho arrives to double team D-Von. Juvi and Nicho 3-D D-Von through a table! London is making his way up the ladder, but Akio starts up the other side. They start brawling on the top, until Juventud Guerrera pushes the ladder down with both men on it! Sakoda scores with a chair shot from behind on Juventud! Kidman whips Nicho in to the ropes, than scores with a big dropkick. Sakoda and Akio both start climbing the ladder, but Kidman moves in to stop them. Kenzo Suzuki runs in from the back and tackles Billy Kidman. Bubba Ray comes in to stop them as well, but Akio comes off the top of the ladder with a dropkick to take down the Dudley. Sakoda climbs to the top of the ladder, and yanks down the titles. He drops down to the mat exhausted, but the new tag team champion! *** 1/2 rating.

Things go back to JR and The King as things in the ring gets cleaned up. They run down the events of the last few weeks that sets up the Loser Leaves RAW Match between Trish Stratus and Victoria tonight. The winner walks out the champion, the loser finds themselves off of RAW, and out of contention for the Women's title!

Trish Stratus © vs Victoria for the Women's title

Trish lays in to Victoria with blow after blow. Trish whips Victoria in to the corner, but when she runs in to attack she eats turnbuckle when Victoria moves. Victoria lights up Trish with some stiff chops. Vertical suplex by Victoria. Victoria locks on a rear chin lock, but Trish lands a jawbreaker to break up the hold. Trish scores with a dropkick. Trish goes to the second rope, but Victoria rolls out of the way of the moonsault. Victoria locks an STF on Trish dead in the center of the ring. This brings out Tyson Tomko, and Victoria breaks the hold to avoid Tomko's attack. Shelton Benjamin runs in to save Victoria, making his return to WWE television! Shelton scores with a superkick that sends Tomko over the top rope, while Victoria lifts up Trish and lands the Widow's Peak for the three count. Christian comes running out as the bell ring and he lays out Victoria with a chair shot. Benjamin is next, but Eric Bischoff stops the attack in the middle of the ring, and he tells Trish to get out because she's fired!

Rating: 3.5/10

Thoughts: A solid women's match and yet another great title match. It will be interesting to see what Trish will do on Smackdown, not to mention whether or not Tomko and Christian will make the move with her.

Cole and Tazz recap the feud between John Cena and Booker T over the last two months.

John Cena vs Booker T

Before the match can begin, Smackdown GM William Regal's music hits, and he heads out to the ring in a referee shirt. Regal sends Brian Hebner to the back as he'll be officiating the match. He signals for the bell, and Booker and John Cena immediately lock up. Booker gets the advantage and slams John Cena. Cena tries to whip Booker across the ring, but Booker reverses it in to another slam. Booker pulls Cena back up, but Cena elbows Booker in the face to break the hold. Cena whips Booker across the ring and lands a powerslam. Cena covers but only gets two. Booker lands a mule kick on Cena to change the momentum. Booker scores with a bulldog. Booker gets a speedy two, but Cena manages to kick out. Booker lands a leg lariat which sends Cena crashing to the match, but despite Regal's fast count, Booker still only gets a two.Cena ducks a clothesline, than lands a neckbreaker. Cena kicks Booker in the gut and hoists him up for the F-U, but William Regal kicks his feet out from under him! Booker lands a Houston Hangover on John Cena. Regal counts the speey three to give the win to Booker. ** 1/2.

Backstage, the Axis Powers celebrate the victory by their newest members Akio and Sakoda. With them in the fold, the group now controlled every title on Smackdown. John Bradshaw Layfield told them that after his victory in the Hell in the Cell match, that they would control Smackdown!

One fall for the World Heavyweight title: Chris Benoit vs Randy Orton

Benoit waffles Orton across the chest with stiff chops. Chris Benoit scores with a snap suplex. Orton tastes a German suplex, but he blocks Benoit's attempts to hit more. Orton lands a Russian leg sweep on Benoit. Randy Orton scores with a quick suplex, than rolls over Benoit for a quick two. Benoit breaks Randy Orton's hold, than bounces off the ropes to land a clothesline. Benoit covers Orton for a two count. Benoit goes for the triple Germans again, and this time Orton goes over. Benoit covers again, but Orton gets the shoulder up just before three. Orton somehow gets to his feet, and rakes Benoit across the eyes. Orton scores with a running forearm to the face. Orton tries for a RKO, but Benoit turns it in to a neckbreaker. Ric Flair runs out of the back as Benoit lifts Orton back to his feet. But Benoit sees Flair coming, and ducks the attack, and Flair hits Randy Orton instead. Chris Benoit whips Flair over the top rope, than climbs to the top rope. Diving Headbutt! Benoit rolls over Randy Orton to pick up the three count.

Rating: 7/10

Thoughts: Surprisingly, Chris Benoit picks up the win over Randy Orton, but I spell hits of dissolution in Evolution with this match. My guess would be that Randy Orton might have something to say to his teammates after this match.

Backstage, Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo leave the celebration of the Axis Powers, but they run head long in to Paul Heyman. Heyman asks Nunzio why he's here instead of on his way to the ring. Nunzio laughs and tells Heyman that he should know, his boys took out his opponent for tonight. Heyman just pats Nunzio on his back, than informs Nunzio that he still has a match tonight, but it's against Spike Dudley!

Cole and Tazz take us back to earlier on the show, when Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley beat down Rey Mysterio.

One fall for the Cruiserweight title: Nunzio vs Spike Dudley

Nunzio scores with a back suplex on Spike Dudley. Nunzio hits a high dropkick on Spike. Nunzio hits a flying neckbreaker, and Spike has to be questioning why he wanted in to this match. Nunzio comes off the second rope to take Spike down to the mat. Nunzio covers but only gets a two count. Nunzio goes for a double arm bar, but Spike turns around and lands a boot to the gut to free himself. Spike hits a dropkick to send Nunzio back to the mat. Spike hits a facecrusher. He covers, but Nunzio kicks out after two. Nunzio shoves his way out of a Dudley Dogg attempt. Spike eats a running elbow by Nunzio. Nunzio connects with stiff chops, than a kick to the gut. Arriverderci! Nunzio hooks the leg to pick up the three count. Rey Mysterio limps out from the back, but Chuck Palumbo cuts him off with a clothesline before he ever reaches the ring. This brings out Rob Van Dam who lays out Palumbo. Rob Van Dam and Rey Mysterio continue to the ring, but Nunzio flees in to the crowd. *** 1/2.

We return to JR and the King, who explain the last few months of mind games between Triple H and Eugene.

Triple H vs Eugene

Eugene dodges several blows from Triple H, than scores with a Russian leg sweep. Eugene lands a Doctor bomb and HHH lands hard. Eugene covers, but Triple H kicks out. Triple H scores with a right hand. He follows up with a running knee. Bodyslam by Triple H. Hunter pins, but only gets a two. Triple H prepares Eugene for the Pedigree, but Eugene trips Hunter instead. Eugene goes for a sharpshooter, but Triple H powers his way to the ropes. Eugene scores with triple German suplexes, Benoit style. Eugene covers for a two count. Eugene pummels Triple H in to the corner, only stopping when the ref pulls him off for the break. Eugene pushes the ref away as Triple H removes the turnbuckle covering. He than kicks Eugene in the gut, and slingshots the man in to the ropes. Eugene hits the exposed turnbuckle head first, and Triple H whips him around to the land the Pedigree as referee Dave Hebner comes to. Hebner counts the three count to give Triple H the win. Triple H signals to the back, and Evolution members Batista and Ric Flair walk down. They hold Eugene up as Triple H grabs a sledgehammer. But the familiar refrain of "Real American" starts to play, and none other than Hulk Hogan starts down the entrance ramp. Triple H can't believe his eyes! Batista and Flair run to intercept Hogan, but Hogan sidesteps Flair and whips him in to the crowd walls. Batista eats Hogan's fist and goes down hard. Triple H slides out of the ring and heads in to the crowd, as Hogan goes in to the ring to check on Eugene!

Rating: 5/10.

Thoughts: Where in the hell did Hogan come from? Got to say that was quite the surprise comeback considering Hogan's comments in the last few weeks, but a Hogan/HHH feud should prove interesting.

We switch back to Michael Cole and Tazz for the main event, and they are impressed with Hogan's return as well. But even more important is the next match, as we turn to look at the cell hanging above the arena. They then run down the four month history of the Eddie Guerrero/John Bradshaw Layfield feud.

Hell in the Cell match for the WWE Championship: Eddie Guerrero vs John Bradshaw Layfield ©

The two men stare down each other in the ring as the cage lowers. They lock up, but JBL quickly overpowers Eddie Guerrero. Full nelson slam by JBL. JBL goes for the Clothesline from Hell, but Eddie steps out of the way. Running elbow by Eddie Guerrero. Eddie snap suplexes Bradshaw over, than hooks on a rear chinlock. JBL powers to his feet, than sideslams Eddie Guerrero. Bradshaw whips Eddie over the top rope than grinds Eddie's face across the steel cage, leaving it bloodied. Bradshaw hooks on a sleeper hold, but Eddie powers up and trips JBL to free himself. DDT by Eddie Guerrero and both men are down. They lie there until "8" when both men come to their feet. Eddie whips Bradshaw in to the steel steps at ringside, and they break apart as he slams in to them. Eddie moves in to slam Bradshaw's face against the steps, but Bradshaw reverses and slams Eddie's face isntead. Bradshaw lifts up the ringsteps and hurls them at Eddie. Eddie ducks and the ringsteps slam through the cage instead. Eddie hits a dropkick to take JBL down, but Kenzo Suzuki comes down the ramp now that an opening to the match has presented itself. Eddie sees Kenzo coming, and climbs to the top of the cage. Kenzo follows him up, but Eddie's ready for him, and scores with a kick straight to the face of Suzuki. Eddie scores with a vertical suplex to Kenzo on top of the cage, and Kenzo barely holds on as the roof gives way. Suzuki drops down to the mat below and stays down. Bradshaw staggers to his feet below and Eddie just grins. Suicide dive on to John Bradshaw Layfield! Both men are down! Eddie crawls in to a cover, but enough time has past for JBL to just get the shoulder up! JBL powers to his feet and kicks Eddie in the chest, than scores with a fallaway slam. Bradshaw goes for another Clothesline from Hell, but Eddie ducks under and trips up Bradshaw. Eddie lifts JBL up and lands a vertical suplex. He rolls through landing the entire series of three. JBL's out, but Kenzo comes back to his feet. But Eddie dodges Kenzo's attack and whips him out of the ring. Eddie goes to the top... Frog Splash connect! Eddie just lays over John Bradshaw Layfield to pick up the three count! The ref raises Eddie's hand, but the new champion can barely stand as Howard Finkel makes the announcement. *** 1/2.

Final Thoughts:

Every title on the RAW side changed hands tonight except for the one everyone expected, and the surprise return of Hulk Hogan should send shockwaves through the internet columns tomorrow. Even the surprising victory of Benoit seems ready to set up a strong run in to Unforgiven next month. This was one of the best PPV's in recent months, not necessarily for match quality, but for completion and continuance of storylines.

Wow, John Bradshaw Layfield put on a surprisingly entertaining main event, although Eddie Guerrero nearly killed himself to put it on. But JBL pulled off a solid showing and proves himself to actually be worthy of the push he's received. The TLC match wasn't as good as the E&C/Hardy/Dudley classics, but the new teams showed that the Smackdown tag division does have some promise for the future. And Akio and Sakoda will finally get a chance to shine as tag champions, once again showing a new found support for the cruiser division. All in all the best PPV on the Smackdown side since No Way Out. Hopefully, the company will continue to put on shows like this in the next few months.

Monday, August 16, 2004

SummerSlam came off without a hitch, although a few of the matches did not perform as well as I'd hoped. TLC in particular was not the blockbuster I thought it could be, although none of the talents put on a poor performance. Hopefully, continued working against themselves and the other teams on the program will lead to the quality that the original TLC matches had.

Kurt Angle was not particularly happy with his position on the card, but I've assured him that his feud with the Big Show leading in to No Mercy will definitely be a higher profile contest than his match with Show.

Guest y2gudge

It seemed like Summerslam was on a bit of an off day, and to tell you the truth I don't know why I'm thinking it...

But anyway onto the matches and personally WAY too much Axis Powers interference in all of the members matches, overload is never a good thing. HIAC & TLC both seemed a little under par to me but other than that as your first PPV write-up it was not too bad, I was also pleased that you wrote up the Raw matches for Summerslam too.

*y2gudge*

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Although it was definitely a transitional show, I really liked this week's Smackdown. The angles and stories all came off well, adn the show properly starts off a couple of new feuds for No Mercy.

Christian and Tyson Tomko made their debut tonight, following their being "fired" by RAW on Monday night. Sadly enough though, the catalyst for this entire storyline, Trish Stratus, suffered a back injury at SummerSlam and will be out for a couple more months. But she will join Smackdown in the months to come as well.

Akio and Sakoda put on a great match tonight. I have a feeling they will shine as tag champions.

Preview for Smackdown on August 19, 2004

SummerSlam is only four days removed, but Smackdown is only starting to heat up! Tonight we will see more of the Big Show who made his explosive return with an attack on the victorious Kurt Angle at the pay-per-view.

Eddie Guerrero proved victorious in Hell in the Cell; and now John Bradshaw Layfield is the only Axis Powers member to fail in defending his title. JBL will definitely have something to say about his loss. Meanwhile, Booker T proved successful over John Cena at the show, what will he have planned for Smackdown?

All this, plus the debut of cruiserweight sensation Kid Kash. Thursday night, only on UPN!

Wednesday; August 18, 2004

SummerSlam looks to have scored a pretty solid buy rate in the early numbers: 1.2; which is the best show of the year. I can't take all the credit for that, but I feel that the more cohesive storytelling and push of more innovative talents has helped the fan interest. All that despite a rather lackluster crowd reaction from the Toronto fans, makes me pretty happy.

People are already questioning the reason for bringing Christian's crew over to Smackdown. Quite frankly, it wasn't my decision, but I don't mind. The RAW writers felt that with Edge as a heel on RAW it was best for Christian to switch brands. I have quite a few ideas for Christian, whose an excellent talent that deserves a bit more of a push, so he and Tomko will get a substantial role on the program. Part of me is actually thankful about Trish's injury as it gives me time to find a more cohesive role for someone with her wrestling skills on the show.