Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip - Season One

Guest Ringmaster

The one inherent flaw in this show is that for comedy geniuses the actual sketch comedy show really isn't that funny. There was a grand total of one bit in the stuff shown from the show in tonight's episode that made me laugh (that being the Katrina punchline in Science Schmience), and that does hurt the believability just a little bit. I'm glad they didn't show Crazy Christians because there's absolutely no way it could be anywhere near as funny as you would hope from all the talk, and I think they knew that too.

Aside from that, the show is fantastic still. The acting, the handling of topical issues, the chemistry the cast has together, totally fantastic. It's a shame that it's not doing well in the ratings, but that's an unfortunate trend with smart comedy.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really starting to think this is becoming the best show on t.v. I'm kind of with GoGo, the show itself really didn't seem that funny, but either way everything else is. I'm just hoping that this doesn't turn into an Arrested Development type thing and gets canceled due to low ratings despite the fact that its hilarious.

The one inherent flaw in this show is that for comedy geniuses the actual sketch comedy show really isn't that funny. There was a grand total of one bit in the stuff shown from the show in tonight's episode that made me laugh (that being the Katrina punchline in Science Schmience), and that does hurt the believability just a little bit. I'm glad they didn't show Crazy Christians because there's absolutely no way it could be anywhere near as funny as you would hope from all the talk, and I think they knew that too.

Aside from that, the show is fantastic still. The acting, the handling of topical issues, the chemistry the cast has together, totally fantastic. It's a shame that it's not doing well in the ratings, but that's an unfortunate trend with smart comedy.

I'd say this was the best episode. If I had to rank them Id go 4, 1, 2, 3. The comotion and everything made the thing seem live. Knowing that Sorkin did it with The West Wing before, I'd like to see them do a 90-minute special live as if the show is actually happening. I'm really getting into Timothy Busfield's character and wish they could find more for him to do. I like how they are giving Ricky & Ron some backbone and integitry instead of just being unfunny, spineless weasels that they were portrayed to be early on.

I didn't think the first half was all that great but I did enjoy Ricky and Ron standing up for their writers. The last half the show, however, was good with them rushing to fix the problem and all. Cal seriously needs more to do. He is great in the short amount of time he has had thus far.

Tom Jeter > *

Another great episode. Too bad the ratings don't come near being worth the 3 million per episode price tag. Now if they could slash the budget and still be good, maybe...

Nothing really that good or funny in this one. They are just not writing him that funny it seems. I didn't care for the guy showing his parents around the studio or Amanda Peet trying to get friends, or Simon wanting a black guy to write for his character/the show. The only part I really liked was Matt wanting the host from Gilmore Girls to give his number to the daughter on the show as well as Cal and the old man. But still, Cal was much funnier when he was in short parts it seems.