WCW vs. nWo: Everybody's Got a Price!

Sousa

1996 was, in no uncertain terms, the year the business began to change forever. This change was owed, in no small part, to the New World Order.

When Scott Hall arrived--without warning or hype--on WCW Monday Nitro on May 27, 1996, WCW had on its hands what was unquestionably one of the most unique, compelling gimmicks the business had ever seen. Through brilliant rhetoric--Hall's (and his later accomplice Kevin Nash's) name was not stated on the air for months, nor were the words "WWF," "Razor Ramon," or Diesel"--WCW managed to promote the appearance of the so-called "Outsiders" as an interpromotional war. All at once, two of the WWF's biggest stars had jumped ship to the competition, and they were taking over.

Or were they?

Over the next few years, the New World Order--with Hall, Nash, and the newly heel Hulk Hogan at the helm--would go from a cutting edge stable to a group that couldn't carry ratings with a bucket. The once-elite group now featured such high-calibre stars as Michael "Don't Call Me IRS" Wallstreet, Mike "Virgil/Vincent/Shane/Curly Bill/Who Did DiBiase Sleep With To Get Me Here" Jones, and Big Bubba Boss Man Bubba Guardian Angel Rogers. Hogan was becoming less and less convincing as the center of the promotion--angles would, for tremendous periods of time, focus on Hogan and his old 80's rivals such as Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, and the Ultimate Warrior. WCW's most popular stars--Sting, Goldberg, Ric Flair, Lex Luger, etc.--were dead, and their rising prospects--Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, The Giant/Big Show, Chris Jericho, and oh so many others--had jumped ship to the competition. The nWo's original goal--the hostile takeover of WCW--was only accomplished insofar as no other angle could coexist beside Hogan and friends.

By the time WCW killed the angle in mid-1999 (only to try again--and much less successfully--at the end of the year), WCW was on its last legs.

But what if it hadn't gone that way? What if WCW had, from the beginning, booked the nWo as it was originally conceived: a hostile takeover of WCW?

What man could possibly orchestrate such an attack?

Everyone's got a price. Even the superstars of World Championship Wrestling.

Roster:

COMING SOON!

Champions:

IPB Image

WCW World Heavyweight Champion: The Giant (heel)

Def. Ric Flair on April 22, 1996, on WCW Monday Nitro

IPB Image

WCW United States Champion: Konnan (face)

Def. One Man Gang on January 29, 1996, on WCW Monday Nitro

IPB Image

WCW Television Champion: Lex Luger (face)

Def. Johnny B. Badd on March 6, 1996, presumably at a house show (anyone know?)

IPB Image

WCW Cruiserweight Champion: Dean Malenko (heel)

Def. Shinjiro Ohtani on May 2, 1996, on WCW Worldwide

IPB Image

WCW Tag Team Champions: Harlem Heat--Booker T and Stevie Ray (heels)

Def. Sting and Lex Luger on June 24, 1996, on WCW Monday Nitro

(OOC:

And it begins!

I've already booked every card through the August PPV (which I've dubbed Critical Mass as a means of replacing Hog Wild), so if you have complaints about what I've booked and how I've booked things, understand that the fact that I'm not listening to your feedback is just an indication that I can't, since I'm already sitting on 17 shows. I'll listen, but don't be insulted if I don't make changes right off the bat. Once Critical Mass is posted, I'll get back into EWR and start booking into fall--and, of course, the first-ever WCW vs. nWo War Games match.

I'm going to be starting on the edition of Nitro prior to WCW Bash at the Beach, which will feature the Outsiders and a mystery partner against the team of Lex Luger, Sting, and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan. Why no Randy Savage? Because two weeks ago, he was victorious in a battle royal to win a title shot at the Giant at Bash at the Beach, and as such, he declined his position in the lineup.

In an effort to move things along, I've shuffled off a few of the angles that were running around this time and weren't generating much heat. So the John Tenta/Big Bubba feud blowoff match has already happened (Sorry, for all of you fans of the guy who's not a shark... not a fish... not an avalanche...), and whatever angle somehow led to Steve McMichael fighting Joe Gomez on pay-per-view as opposed to WCW Worldwide never happened, God damn it. You'll also notice that I'm going to take the Horsemen/Dungeon of Doom feud in a different direction. It was sort of silly anyway.

I'll post a roster later. I didn't copy down the original roster when I began the diary, and I'm not sure who all has been released (I'll post some notables later, though).

My TOP TEN! goals in this diary are as follows, six reasonable and four for kicks:

1. Give the old guard--Hogan, Flair, Savage, etc.--their last big angle. Yes, Hulk Hogan will be at the center of a lot of my booking, but bear in mind that he's going to be coming off of the biggest heel turn in wrestling history. This is a time when Hogan was everywhere--and it was definitely a good thing that he was!

2. Book the nWo angle to seem like an actual invasion of WCW. Sorry, Big Bubba. Sorry, Scott Norton. No more open invitations to join the most elite group in wrestling. If you're in, you're in to further the angle. Simple as that.

3. Use the nWo invasion--as well as other angles--to encourage the growth of new, rising talent in WCW.

4. Speaking of other angles, use other angles besides the nWo. Seriously, go back and watch those old Nitro tapes. Was anything else happening in WCW at the time? "Oh, look, Lord Steven Regal and Prince Iaukea wrestled to a time limit draw, and Disco Inferno can't figure out his new leg hold! The DRAMA!"

5. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller. No Ernest Miller.

6. Encourage the growth of two of WCW's richest divisions at this time: the tag team division and the cruiserweight division. This was a great time for tag teams, but a few years later, WCW's tag team division would be essentially dead, and the cruisers wouldn't be far behind (No Ed Ferrera as Cruiserweight Champ this time around, jack!). '96 could've changed all that.

7. El Dandy vs. La Parka headlining a PPV? Do I smell ratings?

8. Give Glacier some time in a development territory and debut him. Successfully. With the same gimmick. I'm really going to challenge myself with this one.

9. Become the only diary left on the Dome where Samoe Joe isn't on the roster for no apparent reason other than he's in TNA and he's a great worker (It helps that he was 17 at the time, of course... ;) )

10. Unmask Mr. JL. BAH GAWD, WHO COULD IT POSSIBLY BE!?

And that's that! I'll try to get the first card up tomorrow--expect decent results for Nitro and Saturday Night and brief recaps for Worldwide, as well as other miscellany. Hope you enjoy it!)

Edited by JP Sousa is Your Daddy

IPB Image

Where the big boys play!

Top News Items:

* The Outsiders, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, have shocked World Championship Wrestling by invading the organization! But have they come alone? Rumor has it that other top stars from around the world are looking to get on board and join the invasion of WCW! Could this be the swan song for the place where the big boys play?

* Ted Turner and the Turner Broadcasting System have granted Eric Bischoff permission to reopen former NWA territory Championship Wrestling from Florida, under the auspices of wrestling legend "Bullet" Bob Armstrong. The territory will serve as a feeder region for WCW and give lesser-known, younger stars a chance to thrive. The opening of CWF coincides oddly with Vince McMahon's announcement that, due to financial difficulties, the WWF will be releasing many rising stars in its development territory.

WCW has already sent several members of its active roster to CWF to compete, including Hugh Morrus, Alex Wright, Brad and Steve Armstrong, Ace Darling, Billy Kidman, Chavo Guerrero Jr., and Chris Kanyon. In addition, WCW has been quick to snatch up several up-and-comers previously employed by the WWF's development territory, as well as former WWF star Bryan "Adam Bomb" Clarke.

The CWF's first show this past week featured a remarkable display of talent and featured "Das Wunderkind" Alex Wright claiming the CWF Title and up-and-comers Kenny Kaos and Robby Rage claiming the promotion's Tag Team Championship.

* Miss Elizabeth (real name Elizabeth Hulette) has announced her retirement from active duty as a manager. Beginning this month, she will assume a behind-the-scenes role.

IPB Image

LIVE! on Pay-Per-View, from the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida!

Sunday, July 7, 1996!

Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and ??? vs. Sting, Lex Luger, and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match! The Giant vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

Harlem Heat vs. The Steiner Brothers

Dog Collar Match! The Nasty Boys vs. Public Enemy

I Quit Match! Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan

WCW US Title Match! Konnan vs. Lord Steven Regal

WCW Cruiserweight Title Match! Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr.

Who will the Outsiders bring to WCW as their surprise partner? Will Randy Savage be able to capture his third WCW World Heavyweight Championship reign? Will Benoit and Sullivan tear the house down again? Will Konnan be able to slap some humility into that snoot Steven Regal? You'll have to order to find out!

IPB Image

Preview:

Two titles will be on the line this Monday, as Harlem Heat will take on Sting and Lex Luger in a return match for the WCW Tag Team Titles and Konnan will defend the WCW United States Title against Chris Benoit! Plus, we've been informed that both "Macho Man" Randy Savage and the Giant will be in the house, and who knows what surprises the Outsiders will have in store for WCW?

On the card:

Harlem Heat vs. Sting and Lex Luger

The Nasty Boys vs. The Amazing French Canadians

The Steiner Brothers vs. Earl Robert Eaton and Squire David Taylor

Chris Benoit vs. Konnan

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Psychosis

Nice bit of goals you've set for yourself. Hopefully you can achieve all of them. Good presentation as well, and I like the fact that you're going to have the nWo kept as what it was - the hottest act in pro wrestling, without thousands of members being added to kill the angle's heat. Good job thus far, and I'll try to keep up.

Guest TheChosenOne

Harlem Heat vs. Sting and Lex Luger

The Nasty Boys vs. The Amazing French Canadians

The Steiner Brothers vs. Earl Robert Eaton and Squire David Taylor

Chris Benoit vs. Konnan

Top News Items:

* Eric Bischoff has been working closely with a group of bookers and talent scouts in an effort to see to it that the growing Outsiders angle goes well. Rumor has it that Bischoff has been in negotiation with other stars--not only from WWF, but from ECW as well--in an effort to make the angle something special.

I don't get why you did that. The LAST thing that would be done in this instance, and time period, would be breaking kayfabe. I love the set up you have and the fact that you want to do this 'right.' But, you then immediately give us the statement above. You just completely killed it by letting everyone know that it is 'just an angle.' The whole reason the NWO worked in the beginning is because everyone honestly thought that Razor Ramon and Diesel were coming to the WWF to take it over. Here though, you've let the entire wrestling world know that it's just another storyline. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to follow this because I love you're writing so far and I'm always interested in someone that wants to do the NWO angle right. I just hope you're more careful in your presentation of news and such later on because if not done right, it could completely deflate the diary.

Ah, but, re-opening CWF is class. Love it.

Top News Items:

* Eric Bischoff has been working closely with a group of bookers and talent scouts in an effort to see to it that the growing Outsiders angle goes well. Rumor has it that Bischoff has been in negotiation with other stars--not only from WWF, but from ECW as well--in an effort to make the angle something special.

I don't get why you did that. The LAST thing that would be done in this instance, and time period, would be breaking kayfabe. I love the set up you have and the fact that you want to do this 'right.' But, you then immediately give us the statement above. You just completely killed it by letting everyone know that it is 'just an angle.' The whole reason the NWO worked in the beginning is because everyone honestly thought that Razor Ramon and Diesel were coming to the WWF to take it over. Here though, you've let the entire wrestling world know that it's just another storyline. :thumbsdown:

I'm going to follow this because I love you're writing so far and I'm always interested in someone that wants to do the NWO angle right. I just hope you're more careful in your presentation of news and such later on because if not done right, it could completely deflate the diary.

Ah, but, re-opening CWF is class. Love it.

Ah, good point. If I need to make an announcement like that in the future (and offhand, I don't think I will--and revealing who I'm negotiating with will ruin the surprise anyway), I'll put it in somebody else's mouth. That was in part my intent, but I guess the logo up top and the nature of the other stories kind of wrecked the effect, eh? Definitely sloppy writing--I put it out there late at night, and I hadn't gotten much sleep in a few days. But hey, that's what the edit button's for, right?

I'm glad to see you haven't written me off totally because of that little snafu. This is my first diary, after all. I'll edit the above post to reflect a kayfabe-friendly attitude. Thanks for the feedback! (Y)

IPB Image

Monday, July 1, 1996

Tony Schiavone: Welcome, everyone, to two solid hours of World Championship Wrestling action! Tonight, two solid hours of wrestling action from the superstars of WCW! Tonight, Sting and Lex Luger are here! The WCW Tag Team Champions Harlem Heat are in the house! WCW World Heavyweight Champion The Giant is here, and... yes, we have been informed that those two outsiders who have been creating chaos here in World Championship Wrestling are in the building. Tony Schiavone, alongside Eric Bischoff and "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko, and Larry, Eric, we have to wonder what those outsiders have in store for us tonight!

(The crowd gets a healthy "Larry! Larry!" chant going, which Larry promptly stands up to acknowledge.)

Eric Bischoff: Well, frankly, Tony, all they can be here to do is start trouble. That's all we've seen them do in the past. They've been trying to stir the pot. They've been trying to make WCW look like a bunch of idiots. And you know what? I can't wait for Bash at the Beach, when these three can find out why WCW really is where the big boys play!

Larry Zbyszko: (sitting down) All these two thugs are trying to do is pull the wool over our eyes, Tony. They're trying to beat us at their own human game of chess. It's not going to work. You'll see that at the Bash.

Tony Schiavone: Well, fans, let's get this night started as we go to David Penzer in the ring for our opening contest!

Psychosis arrives with a small amount of heel heat but is generally unrecognized, while Mysterio gets a small face pop--the fans are starting to catch on to his name. The match is an exciting, high-flying affair featuring two Mexican luchadores who have worked together several times in the past. Psychosis takes an early advantage over the smaller Mysterio, dominating him with a ground-based offense until Mysterio sends him over the top rope. The high-flying Mexican sensation then performs a running suicide dive to a tremendous pop from the crowd! The two men exchange chops on the floor briefly before Psychosis rolls Rey back in, then hits a springboard legdrop for a near fall. Psychosis works over the back and shoulders of Mysterio for a few minutes more before Rey battles back, turning the tide and dropping Psychosis with an enzuiguri. As Rey recovers, Psychosis struggles to his feet first and makes his way to the top rope, but Rey pulls himself to his feet, runs to the ropes, and stuns Psychosis, then drops him with a beautiful spinning huracanrana from the top for the duke!

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr. via top-rope huracanrana

Match Rating: 63% (an exciting match featuring a generally uninterested crowd)

Schiavone: And Mysterio is looking very impressive here in his first few months in WCW as he prepares to take on the Ice Man, the Man of 1,000 Holds, Dean Malenko, this Sunday at the Bash at the Beach!

Zbyszko: All that high-flying may look nice, Tony, but it doesn't change the fact that Malenko is a mastermind in the ring. That man's forgotten more holds than most wrestlers will ever learn, and it's going to take more than flashy acrobatics to take him down.

Schiavone: Well, be that as it ma--

Bischoff: Hey, hold on, what's going on?

The Outsiders' Edge

(All of a sudden, the Outsiders appear beside the broadcast booth, looking particularly smug and staring down Bischoff. Bischoff, removing his headset, stands up to shout at the two big men; the microphone manages to pick up the words "haul you off to jail" and "out of my building." Nash begins to chuckle, and Hall wiggles his head back and forth mockingly.)

Scott Hall: Hey yo! Eric! How's it goin', bra? How's that neck feelin', big man? You sure you feel like stayin' up here in the broadcast booth, little man?

Kevin Nash: Commentary's a dangerous business, isn't it, Eric? Maybe you should go back to running shows in warehouses where no one else can see you--and where we don't have to look at that silly-looking hairpiece of yours? (Nash swipes at Bischoff's head, but Bischoff moves out of the way. Nash looks shocked.) Oh, sorry, Eric! I didn't realize that thing was alive! Wouldn't want to hurt it now, would I?

(The camera cuts to Bischoff, who still hasn't gotten a microphone but seems to be saying, "What do you want?")

Hall: What do we want? We want the same thing you want, bra: everything. And we're gonna start by taking these announce positions right here! So why don't you three chuckleheads waddle your fat rear ends backstage--

Nash: Yeah, Larry! What happened to you, man? Fall off the wagon much?

Hall: --get backstage now before somebody gets hu--!!

(The crowd pops extra loudly as Sting and Lex Luger suddenly whip Hall and Nash around, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan in tow. Luger and Sting are in their wrestling gear, while Duggan is wearing jeans and a T-shirt [but is not, of course, without his trusty 2x4]. Luger and Sting stare down Hall and Nash, who simply laugh at them.)

Hall: You boys runnin' us off? You tryin' to get rid of us? Bad move!

Nash: I'll tell you three this much: you're gonna have to wait until Sunday to get your hands on us, but I promise you--I guarantee you--that we will make you pay for messing with us... tonight!

(The camera picks up Sting shouting "Hit the bricks!" as Luger flexes and Duggan raises his 2x4 high, getting a mighty "HOOOOOOOOOOOO!" out of the crowd. Hall and Nash saunter to the back while Luger, Sting, and Hacksaw pat the announce crew on the back. Luger can be heard to say, "We got your backs, guys" before they make their way off.)

Segment Rating: 80%

Schiavone: Unbelievable. What bullies!

Bischoff: They've got no business being up here again, Tony. I promise you that's the last time we'll see that happen!

Schiavone: Let's hope not. And let's go back to David Penzer and our US Title match!

WCW United States Championship: Konnan © vs. Chris Benoit

Konnan got a mild face pop, while Benoit received a mixed reaction--the Four Horsemen's feud with the Dungeon of Doom seems to demand crowd support, but they're having a hard time giving it. The two men lock up to start and proceed to wrestle a decent technical match, with Konnan getting the early advantage, working over the neck and upper back of Benoit with a variety of submission holds and high-impact maneuvers. Benoit, for his part, fired back with brutal chops and, midway through the match, reversed an attempted German suplex into a suplex of his own to earn a near three count. As Konnan was preparing to set Benoit up for his patented sunset flip power bomb, all of a sudden, Lord Steven Regal and the Blue Bloods (Squire David Taylor and Earl Robert Eaton) ran from the back and began to jaw with Konnan from the ring apron. Konnan proceeded to whip Taylor into the ring and beat him down, while Benoit clotheslined Eaton off the turnbuckle. As the referee was focused on Taylor and Eaton, however, Regal managed to pull a foreign object from his tights and clock Konnan--outside of the view of Benoit or the referee! Benoit turned to find Konnan laid out and, ever the opportunist, locked on the Crippler Crab! The referee, seeing no response from Konnan, dropped his hand the requisite three times, giving Chris Benoit the win and his first WCW title run! The Blue Bloods taunt Konnan from the entryway as Benoit holds the title belt up to a mixed reaction from the crowd.

Winner and NEW US Champion: Chris Benoit via interference from the Blue Bloods leading into a knockout and the Crippler Crab

Match Rating: 70% (mixed reaction to both men)

Zbyszko: Y'know, I really think that Benoit deserves that belt, but it'd be nice to see him get it under better circumstances. Sort of a double-edged sword here.

Schiavone: And a pretty silly move by Regal, if you ask me! Now he's lost his chance at becoming the US Champ this Sunday at Bash at the Beach!

Zbyszko: Looks to me like he's more interested in humiliating Konnan. What a jerk.

The Steiner Brothers vs. The Blue Bloods (Squire David Taylor and Earl Robert Eaton)

The Steiners received a tremendous ovation, while Taylor and Eaton, having just assisted in costing Konnan the US Title, were roundly booed. The Steiners dominated early on with a suplex-heavy offense, forcing Taylor and Eaton to regroup on the floor while the Rick and Scott performed the usual "Rick Steiner is Scott Steiner's dog" routine in the ring. Taylor gained the upper hand with a poke to the eye of Rick, and Eaton and Taylor performed a few minutes of typical tag team dominance, keeping Steiner away from the tag. After powering out of an Eaton sleeperhold with a back body drop, Rick made the hot tag to Scott, who came in a house afire and dominated both men. Regal attempted to intervene but earned a clothesline for his efforts. With both men down, Scott hoisted Taylor up onto his shoulders, allowing Rick to hit the Steiner Bulldog from the top rope for the duke! The Steiners celebrated in the ring, while the Blue Bloods stumbled backstage to regroup.

Winners: Rick Steiner pinned David Taylor after a Steiner Bulldog

Match Rating: 73%

Schiavone: Scott Steiner and the Dog-Faced Gremlin unquestionably have some momentum coming into their match with Harlem Heat this Sunday at the Bash.

Bischoff: No question, Tony. Both of these teams are on a roll, and I can't wait to see 'em lock horns this Sunday at the Bash!

Schiavone: Right now, we're going to take you backstage to "Mean" Gene Okerlund and the WCW World Heavyweight Champion!

One Night Early:

(The camera cuts away to Gene Okerlund in the backstage area. He schills the WCW Hotline, spouting off rhetoric not worth repeating here about paying $1.49 a minute for information that can easily be reached on the Internet for free.)

Gene Okerlund: And now, ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to call out a man who has without a doubt been on a roll here in World Championship Wrestling... WHOA! There he is!

(All at once, two vertically disparate figures enter from the right side: the weasly, anxious Jimmy Hart who looks more agitated than usual, and the monstrous Giant, who looks brooding, angry, and dressed to fight.)

Okerlund: Take a look if you will, ladies and gentlemen! Seven feet four, over four hundred pounds, the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, the Giant--and of course, "The Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart, representing the Dungeon of Doom. Jimmy, Giant, I want to take you back last week to your title match with "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair, in which "The Macho Man" Randy Savage nearly cost you the match! And I want to inform you both that it has just been announced that this Sunday at the Bash at the Beach, Ric Flair--a man who has animosity with both yourself and the Macho Man--will be the guest referee for your match!

Jimmy Hart: Listen up, Gene-O, baby, it don't matter one bit if Ric Flair is the guest referee! It wouldn't matter one bit if God Himself was in Macho Man's corner! Take a look at this man, Mean Gene! Take a look... at the Giant! Seven feet four! Over four hundred pounds! The most dominant man in the history of this sport, Gene! And you're telling me he needs to be afraid of some low-down, greasy-headed, jerkey-shillin', cowboy-hat-wearin' goofball like the Macho Man? You're telling me he needs to be afraid of a bleach-blonde man over 40 who still thinks it's 1978? Gimme a break, Gene! This man is the future of our sport, and he is the present of our sport as well, baby! And you know what? He don't even have to wait until Sunday!

(The Giant, who has been fuming throughout the entire interview, goes off the deep end and snatches away Okerlund's microphone, shouting at the top of his lungs.)

Giant: I'm gonna make this real simple for you, Savage! Tonight, I'm gonna come down to that ring! I'm gonna bring Jimmy Hart! I'm gonna bring the WCW World Heavyweight Title! And if you've got the guts, Savage, if you're not the coward I think you are, then drag your butt down to that ring, and I'll be more than happy to break you in half six days early! AAAAAAAAAARGH!

(As Hart and the Giant storm off, Giant tosses the microphone back at Okerlund, who fumbles for it as the camera cuts back to the ring.)

Segment Rating: 73%

Schiavone: There you have it, fans! As we are joined by Bobby "The Brain" Heenan for this second hour, we've just learned that the Giant may be taking on Randy Savage tonight!

Bobby Heenan: (receiving a comfortable "WEASEL!" chant) If you ask me, Tony, it'd be pretty stupid for the Savage to try to topple the big man early, but then again, nobody ever accused the Macho Man of being the brightest bulb in the box!

The Nasty Boys vs. The Amazing French Canadians:

The Amazing French Canadians made their WCW debut for this match, and the crowd--recognizing the team of Jacques Rougeau and Carl Ouelette--gave them ample boos. The Nasties arrived to a decent pop. Before the match began, Jacques Rougeau took the microphone.

Jacques Rougeau: Listen up! What I want right now is for all of you stupid Yankees to shut your mouths, to stand to your feet, and to show a little respect as we sing for you the Canadian National Anthem!

(The crowd, naturally, boos loudly as Rougeau and Oulette hold the microphone between them with one hand and hold the flags of Quebec and Canada with the others.)

The Canucks: OOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANADAAAAAAAAAAAA! TEEEERRE DEEE NOOOOS AAA--

Much to the delight of the crowd, Brian Knobbs and Jerry Saggs take to the attack! The match is hardly a technical classic, and Knobbs and Saggs essentially dominate with a brutal clubberin' offense until Public Enemy appears on the entrance ramp to observe. As the Nasties taunt the PE, the Canadians deliver a vicious double low blow, then roll Saggs out of the ring. They proceed to double-team Saggs into oblivion until he manages the hot tag to Knobbs, who sets to work with punches and kicks, culminating in both men clubberin' Ouelette in the corner. The match ended as Saggs rolled up his sleeve, exposing his arm pit, and Knobbs drove Oulette's face in for the Pit Stop, followed by a monstrous double DDT for the win! Post-match, PE and the Nasties exchanged words from across the ramp, but neither team threw a punch.

Winners: Brian Knobbs pinned Carl Ouelette via Double DDT

Match Rating: 65% (mismatched styles, Knobbs and Saggs are hardly technical masters)

Schiavone: These four men are ready to tear the house down this Sunday! Who knows what will happen?

Bischoff: Speaking of tearing the house down, we'll find out next if the Outsiders are stupid enough to show up here again, as Harlem Heat takes on Lex Luger and Sting for the WCW Tag Team Championship!

WCW Tag Team Championship Match: Harlem Heat © vs. Sting and Lex Luger

Without question, the crowd came to life for this match, with Sting and Lex Luger receiving the biggest ovation of the night so far and Harlem Heat--thanks to the insufferable duo of Sister Sherri and Colonel Robert Parker--getting lots of hatred. The two teams were evenly matched, exchanging tags frequently. Stevie Ray worked most of the match and brawled with the two men, while Luger and Sting set to work on the backs of the two brothers from "Harlem" (read: Texas). After dispatching Booker T to the outside, Luger hit Stevie Ray with his flying forearm and was signalling for the Torture Rack when Col. Parker stepped onto the ring apron and began distracting the referee, while Sister Sherri pulled Sting off of the apron. As Sting stalked towards Sherri and Parker shouted at the ref, the Outsiders suddenly appeared from the crowd and leveled Luger with two vicious chair shots to the back of the head! Sting, realizing what had happened, tried to enter the ring as Stevie Ray crawled onto the unconscious Luger, but Sherri and Parker both held him back, allowing Stevie Ray to get the one... two... three!

After the match, Hall and Nash, who had retreated back into the crowd, snatched away David Penzer's microphone.

Nash: Listen up, Booker, Stevie... whichever one of you is which! Don't get too comfortable with that gold around your waists! You got lucky tonight, since it appears that... well, it appears that Lex Luger fell asleep!

(The two men snicker, and Booker T shouts at Hall and Nash from the ring, motioning toward the belt.)

Hall: Yeah, don't get used to having that, man. Sooner or later, the Outsiders are gonna have aaaaaaaaaall the gold. So you go to the back, you bring Colonel Sanders and Not-So-Sensational-Anymore Sherri, and you have yourselves one last party, bra. That gold's ours soon enough.

(As the Outsiders head for the back, the Heat take their belts, leaving a shocked Sting and Luger to regroup in the ring.)

Winners and STILL WCW Tag Team Champions: Stevie Ray pinned Lex Luger after outside interference from the Outsiders

Match Rating: 79%

Heenan: You know what's scary about those outsiders? They know exactly what they're doing! They know how to keep us on our toes!

Bischoff: They're thugs, that's what they are. No better than common criminals, Bobby Heenan.

Schiavone: And fans, we'll be right back with what may be our main event!

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match: The Giant © vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

The Giant and Jimmy Hart arrived at the ring, and Jimmy Hart motioned for a microphone. Before he could even get one, however, the familiar strains of "Pomp and Circumstance" blasted over the PA, and "The Macho Man" Randy Savage darted from the back, dressed to kill--no cowboy hat, no sunglasses, no jacket, eyes blazing! Savage and the big man brawled up and down the ring, exchanging blows back and forth and spilling the action onto the floor. The Giant threw everything he had at Savage, who fired right back with more power moves until the Giant reversed an Irish whip into the ring post, sending the Macho Man face first into the steel. The Giant then rolled Savage back in the ring and proceeded to dominate with massive power moves, dropping Savage with power slams, huge atomic drops, and one tremendous power bomb that Savage only barely managed to kick out of. The Giant, frustrated, decided at last to end things, pulling Savage to his feet and signalling for the choke slam. As Giant hooked his big mitt around Savage's neck, however, the Macho Man fired back with a low blow, leaving both men down! The two men struggled to their feet, then began exchanging blows back and forth, with Savage gaining the advantage with a clothesline! As Savage prepared for his patented elbowdrop, the Dungeon of Doom--Big Bubba, Kevin Sullivan, Meng, and the Barbarian--rushed to ringside, distracting the referee. Jimmy Hart, for his part, distracted Savage, who grabbed the little man by the necktie. Just then, with the ref still distracted, the Giant rose to his feet, pulling Savage off of Hart. As the Giant held Savage, Hart reached for his megaphone, took aim... and hit the Giant, as Savage ducked out of the way! Jimmy Hart, thinking quickly, rolled the megaphone into the ring near the Giant's head, then shouted at the referee, pointing to the weapon to indicate that Savage, not Hart, had hit the Giant with the megaphone! The referee called for the bell, leaving Savage more than a little perturbed. The Macho Man then proceeded to throw the referee from the ring, then, in a fit, drag Jimmy Hart into the ring with him. After sending the Dungeon of Doom to the outside, Savage bodyslammed Hart onto the Giant's chest, then delivered a top-rope elbowdrop to both men!

Winner and STILL WCW World Heavyweight Champion: The Giant via disqualification (Jimmy Hart tricked the referee into thinking Savage had clocked the Giant with the megaphone)

Match Rating: 89%

Schiavone: What a night! Will we see that man, Randy Savage, walk out of the Ocean Center this Sunday as champion! You'll have to tune in to find out! Fans, we are out of time! We'll see you at the Bash at the Beach!

Overall Show Rating: 75%

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided what the hell, I might was well give this a try, and I am glad I did. It's not reinventing the wheel, yet, but it is solid and for the most part really good. I have issues with Duggan being the third man to stand up for WCW against The Outsiders, but that's because I also always had problems with Savage standing up for WCW against The Outsiders. To me it always felt as if the trio to stand up for WCW should have been WCW stalwarts. Now I know that Luger left WCW for WWF, but he was always seen as a WCW man more than a WWF man. Same for Flair. The same can not be said for Savage or Duggan however. I can't really say who would have been a better choice, as off the top of my head nobody else makes a ton fo sense, but I really really don't like Duggan.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, the first hour of Nitro was Tony and Larry Z and the second hour was Eric Bischoff and Heenan. Why the switch to Tony and Eric being on both hours?

I hated the PE vs. Nasties feud in reality, and I doubt it changes here much. Neither team ever really did it for me in any way at all.

So Duggan, Sting, and Luger have each other's back when it comes to saving the announce team, but not when Sting and Luger are defending their Tag Team Titles? Odd.

This was when Konnan was still a pretty decent wrestler and before he had been convinced to half ass it on free TV. Use that to your advantage.

When reading the Champions Roll Call I noticed something intriguing. Not a single champion won their belt on a PPV. Every damn one of them won it on free TV. I mean, we all know Bischoff was giving away a ton of big free matches on TV in an attempt to win the ratings war, as evidenced by your ME and the US Title switching hands as well, but wow and damn that all the champions won their belts that way at this point in WCW.

All in all, as I said, pretty good. I look forward to more and to seeing where this might lead. So give it to me.

Overall Grade C+

Holy crap, I'm on top of the forums. :blink:

I've got one more match to go before I have Saturday Night posted. Long story short: Hell Week came roaring back at about 10 pm last night when I was getting ready to set to work on it, and lo and behold, I had a freelance job to do and a baby who, quite literally, cried for nearly three hours straight despite my best efforts.

The announce team switch? I'm working off of memory here. I'm only basing the absence of Mongo on the announce team on the fact that he was working with the Horsemen at the time. My big source of event reports (DDT Digest) only goes back as far as October of '96, so if anybody can shoot me a source that goes back further, I'd appreciate it. I think you're probably right, though, since I do recall a sudden jump in Schiavonitude at some point that really got on my nerves.

Also, two minor changes:

1. I've decided that I'm going to pick up my booking again where I left off here. Nothing changes so far--I'll book the three shows I've got finished in exactly the same way, but you can consider my comment "I won't be able to respond to booking comments quickly" null and void. I decided I do want the booking advice after all. Go figure.

2. I just realized that the source I read was wrong and that Harlem Heat had already won the belts one week before the Nitro I've already posted. :oops: So... consider the Nitro match a rematch, I guess.

Thanks for the feedback, though! I'll have Saturday Night posted right quick and Bash at the Beach in short order.

(And don't tell me I could've spent my time explaining the situation in this post writing Saturday Night. I already know that and argue that holding a baby makes it harder to write a show than it does a few comments.)

EDIT: One final note: does anyone have a stat block for Colonel Robert Parker? For some reason, he's not in this scenario.

IPB Image

Saturday, July 6, 1996

Tony Schiavone: Hello again, fans, and welcome to WCW Saturday Night. Tony Schiavone here, along with "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, and Dream, we are one day away from the Bash at the Beach and we've got to wonder... who are the Outsiders going to bring to the ring to take on Lex Luger, Sting, and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan?

Dusty Rhodes: Well, I tell ya, Tony, what we got here in Dubya See Dubya is a war, a real fight to the finish, if you weeeeell. Guys outside of Dubya See Dubya comin' in here--talkin' 'bout the Outsidahs--comin' in here tryin' to take down tradition! Tryin' to take down all that these guys stand for! If anybody's gonna stop 'im, it's gonna be Lex Lugah, Sting, and Hacksaw! And we gonna get ready for that right here on Saturday Night, the motha ship!

Tony Schiavone: Tonight on our program, Rick Steiner, "The Macho Man" Randy Savage, Rey Mysterio Jr., and in our main event, Lord Steven Regal will challenge Lex Luger for the WCW Television Championship! Let's go to the ring for our opening bout!

Ultimo Dragon, La Parka, & Psychosis w/ Sonny Onoo vs. Mr. JL, Juventud Guerrera, and Super Calo

Dragon, Parka, and Psychosis were accompanied to the ring by Sonny Onoo, who was snapping pictures of the arena and took a shot of Dragon, Parka, and Psychosis on the entrance ramp. The match was conducted under luche libre rules, which meant lenient tag rules and that a team could replace a member in the ring who had fallen to the floor. The match was a spotfest highlighted by the participants alternating suicide dives onto the floor before Ultimo Dragon hit all five opponents with an Asai moonsault. At the match's end, Super Calo climbed to the top rope to perform a shooting star press on Ultimo Dragon, but Dragon rolled out of the way and out of the ring, at which point Psychosis was quick to capitalize with a springboard legdrop for the win. All three men celebrated with Sonny Onoo after the match.

Winners: Psychosis pinned Super Calo via springboard legdrop

Match Rating: 58%

Schiavone: What an exciting way for our show to begin, with some of our top international stars who are taking the WCW Cruiserweight division by storm!

Rhodes: These guys are tremendous athletes, Tony, tremendous... acrobats, if you weeeeell! It's an excitin' time to watch the cruiserweights of Dubya See Dubya!

The American Males vs. Fire and Ice:

Two mismatched teams, neither of whom received big reactions from the crowd. Scotty Riggs and Scott "Flash" Norton began the match, with Norton overpowering the smaller Riggs using his sheer bulk, dropping Riggs with some hard clotheslines and crushing him with a big splash into the corner. The dominant game, however, was thrown out the window when Ice Train entered the ring. Train immediately put Riggs up for a power bomb, but the smaller man immediately countered with a victory roll for a two count. Train then began hammering the little man into the corner... but hammered him into the American Males' friendly corner, allowing Marcus Bagwell to get the tag! Bagwell ran into the ring and set to work on Ice Train with a series of quick kicks and dropkicks. Riggs joined in for the double-team until he was ejected from the ring, and Scott Norton, rather than intervene, simply yelled at his teammate. Ultimately, despite Train's feeble attempts to make a tag, Bagwell dropped him with a double-arm DDT for the victory. After the match, Norton pulled Ice Train to his feet and began arguing with him, and the two traded vicious words all the way back to the locker room.

Winners: Marcus Bagwell pinned Ice Train via double-arm DDT

Match Rating: 66%

Rhodes: There's dissent in the ranks, Tony Schiavone--two guys goin' at each otha's throats! And I'm tellin' ya, if you wanna put your A game out there, if you wanna win gold belts and pin people, you can't be fussin' and feudin' with the man who's gonna help getcha there!

Schiavone: Fans, we're going to take you backstage now to "Mean" Gene Okerlund, who is standing by with the new WCW United States Champion, Chris Benoit!

Nothing Solved, Nothing Settled:

(The camera cuts backstage, where Okerlund is standing by with Benoit [in a T-shirt and jeans] and Woman.)

Gene Okerlund: Well, we hear Dusty Rhodes up in the booth talking about hatred, and I'm telling you this: there is no greater hatred in WCW right now than the hatred between "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan and this man, "The Crippler" Chris Benoit. Benoit, last month at the Great American Bash, you faced--and defeated--Kevin Sullivan in a brutal falls count anywhere match, and now, at Bash at the Beach, it looks like you want to do it again! An I Quit match with Kevin Sullivan has been scheduled, and I've gotta ask you... what is going on between you and Woman that has Sullivan so upset?

Chris Benoit: (with a snicker) Mean Gene, it doesn't make any difference whether you know what's going on. What matters most is that, Sullivan, you see it. Sullivan, I could've crippled you at the Great American Bash. I could've put you out of this business and out of my life. And I see now, Sullivan, that I should have. This Sunday, at Bash at the Beach, I'm gonna finish what I started, Sullivan. I'm gonna leave you beaten, broken... and crippled.

Okerlund: Well, if we're not gonna get a straight answer out of you, Chris Benoit, then maybe your partner-in-crime here can give us a little insight!

Woman: It's not your business, Gene. It's not anyone's business. This is personal. Kevin knows why we have to do this. Chris knows why we have to do this. And I'll tell you this, Gene: it's not going to end until either Chris or Kevin isn't standing anymore.

Benoit: Come on, Nance. Let's get out of here.

(Then, all at once, both Benoit and Woman are gone, leaving a surprised Okerlund hold the microphone.)

Okerlund: Hey, wait a minute! Is that all I'm gonna get out of you? Wait! (sigh) Well, it doesn't look like any light is going to be shed on this mystery any time soon. I guess we'll just have to wait until the Bash at the Beach live tomorrow night to find out! Tony, Dream... back to you!

Segment Rating: 73%

Schiavone: What a bizarre statement by Chris Benoit and Woman!

Rhodes: There's baaaaaad tempers in the air, Tony. Kevin Sullivan is a baaaaad man, and I got a bad feelin' that somethin' terrible's gonna go down tomorrow night!

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Brad Armstrong:

Rey continues to gain in popularity, and Armstrong--coming up from CWF to work this match--continues to look like a goof. Armstrong tried early on to keep the smaller Mysterio grounded with a series of technical moves, working over the legs with a legbar and, eventually, a figure four leglock, which Mysterio reversed and pulled into the ropes. Just after reversing the move, Mysterio suddenly sprang to life, running to the ropes and nailing Armstrong with a dropkick. The high-flying offense continued and featured Mysterio dropping an impressive tornado DDT, forcing Armstrong to roll out of the ring--only to then be answered with a suicide dive! Both men were slow to recover and return to the ring, at which point Armstrong tried to set up Mysterio for a Russian leg sweep, but Mysterio managed to break free and hit the ropes for a running huracanrana and the pin!

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr. via running huracanrana

Match Rating: 67%

Schiavone: Rey Mysterio Jr. picking up an impressive win coming into the Bash at the Beach, and it looks like he's got the momentum for his Cruiserweight Title match with "The Ice Man" Dean Malenko!

Rick Steiner vs. Booker T

Rick Steiner comes out barking, rallying the fans behind him as he initiates a pier six brawl with one-half of the WCW Tag Team Champions. Booker tries to regain control by reversing an Irish whip, but Steiner ducks Booker's sidekick and counters with a belly-to-belly suplex! Then, as Steiner hits the ropes, Col. Robert Parker trips him behind the referee's back with his cane, sending him face-first to the mat as Booker recovers. Booker grounds Steiner with a rear chinlock before pulling him to his feet and dropping him with a vertical suplex for a two count. Booker works over Steiner with a series of big moves--a spinebuster, a Samoan drop, and a powerslam--but earns two counts after all of them. Finally, a frustrated Booker whips Steiner into the ropes one more time but is answered by a Thesz press, which Steiner converts to a cover for the two-count. Both men climb to their feet and trade punches, with Steiner reversing an Irish whip into a vicious clothesline for two. As Steiner pulls Booker to his feet, Booker hits with a thumb in the eye, then runs for the ropes. Steiner, meanwhile, has other plans, recovering quickly and tossing Booker to the mat. Steiner climbs the ropes himself, and before Sherri and Parker can stop him, he hits the Steiner bulldog for the three count! After the match, Rick runs to the aisle as a shocked Sherri and Parker climb into the ring to help Booker to his feet, shouting to Rick all the while.

Winner: Rick Steiner via Steiner bulldog

Match Rating: 75%

Schiavone: What a victory for Rick Steiner! You've gotta believe that this bodes well for the Steiner Brothers coming into the Bash at the Beach, Dream.

Rhodes: No doubt about it, Tony! No doubt about it! Rick Steinah with that BIG bulldog off da top, an' he an' Scott could be lookin' to come to the pay windah tomorrah night!

Schiavone: And speaking of men with big matches tomorrow night, we've got a special message from the number one contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship!

Unleashed

(The camera cuts away to blackness. All at once, a single light bulb flickers on yet casts light on little--the walls are plain wood, and there are no apparent doors in sight. The only person in the room is "The Macho Man" Randy Savage, his body cast in a sickly yellow light from the small bulb. Savage is wearing blue jeans, a black vest with tattered sleeves, sunglasses, and a demeanor of unsettling calm.)

Randy Savage: Giant... Jimmy Hart... Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan... whoever else wants to throw their name in the hat as one of your little band of carnival freaks... do you have any idea what you've unleashed?

(Savage, who was previously staring at the ground, looks up slowly and takes a deep breath.)

Savage: You made a big mistake last week, Jimmy Hart. You tried to keep the Macho Man from gaining what was rightfully his, yeeeeah. You think you can keep me from my title? You think you can keep me from reaching the top?

(All at once, Savage flies off the handle, ripping his sunglasses from his face.)

Savage: You have NO idea who you're messin' with, man! You're not messin' with some suntanned bleach blonde little playboy! You're not dealin' with pretty boy Lex Luger or some face-painted action figure like Sting, big man! You mess with the Macho Man, and you're messin' with madness! And this past Monday on Nitro, big man, you threw a match into a roomful of dynamite, dude! And you tell me what happens when you play with explosives!

(Savage takes a deep breath, closes his eyes, and returns his sunglasses to his face.)

Savage: Dig this, big man: I'm takin' you down. And by the time I'm done with ya, all the kids are gonna wonder what was so scary about the big, mean, nasty Giant. And that gold, Giant, that big gold belt you got around your waist is goin' right back where it belongs. Ooooooooooooooh, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

(Savage reaches up for the light and flicks it off, thrusting the area into blackness.)

Segment Rating: 95%

Schiavone: Dream, I have never seen the Macho Man this intense before. I have never seen him this ready.

Rhodes: We're seein' a dark side to the man they call Macho, Tony, an' if I was the Giant, I'd be reeeeeeeeal careful comin' into the Bash!

Schiavone: And with that, we'll take you to a commercial break, and we'll be right back with our main event, in which Meng will challenge "The Total Package" Lex Luger for the WCW Television Championship!

Lex Luger vs. Meng for the WCW Television Championship:

What can I say? A total brawl. The gigantic Meng gained an early advantage of Luger with a series of brutal chops and shots to the throat. Luger tried to mount a comeback by ramming Meng's head into the turnbuckle early on, but the madman from the Isle of Tonga simply shouted in response, then dropped Luger with a headbutt. Meng kept dropping Luger with big power moves, but try as he might, he couldn't keep the Total Package down. The end seemed to come when Meng locked on the Asian spike, dropping Luger to the mat. Just as it appeared that Luger was about to fall unconscious, he powered to his feet, then sent Meng to the ropes and hit the flying forearm. Luger slowly crawled to his feet and signalled for the Torture Rack--then, as Meng climbed to his feet, he took the big man up! Meng struggled against the force of Luger's hold for what seemed like a long time, but finally, he lost consciousness, and the referee called for the bell. After the match, the Outsiders appeared from the crowd once more, engaging with a shouting match with Luger. Luger was quickly joined in the ring by Sting and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, and Meng, climbing to his feet, sided with his WCW companions! The locker room began to clear out as Hall and Nash simply stood by, taunting the united WCW front in the ring.

Winner and STILL Television Champion: Lex Luger via submission (Torture Rack)

Match Rating: 71%

Rhodes: Looka that, Tony! Looka that, if you weeeell! THIS is Dubya See Dubya! THIS is what this here sport is all about!

Schiavone: And fans, we are out of time! We'll see you tomorrow in Florida for the Bash at the Beach!

Overall Show Rating: 71%

FINAL CARD FOR WCW BASH AT THE BEACH!

Sunday, July 7, 1996!

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match! The Giant vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage - Special Referee: Ric Flair

Non-Title I Quit Match! Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan

Konnan vs. Lord Steven Regal

(OOC: Predictions are now open. Closest predictions may get something special or may get nothing at all. I don't know yet.

As an added bonus, somebody who isn't Hulk Hogan may be appearing in the Outsiders match. Guess correctly and get five bonus points that can be redeemed at any place that accepts bonus points!)

I must say for some reason I didn't think I would enjoy this, but you've proved me wrong. In all fairness I didn't watch wrestling really until 1999. So I have to use my imagination a little to see whats going on, but its helped greatly by the way you write things. Kudos on having Nitro and SN before the PPV, it gives a nice little background to the show.

Your format is good, well written promos, decent length match recaps and pretty easy to read. A little colour might not hurt though. I'll make mroe detailed comments when you're a bit further into this and I can get a better jist of whats going on. I'll make some prediction attempts any how.

FINAL CARD FOR WCW BASH AT THE BEACH!

Sunday, July 7, 1996!

If they're going to be as dominant as you say, a win would go a long way. Unless you go the 'destroying everyone until a DQ' route.

WCW World Heavyweight Title Match! The Giant vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage - Special Referee: Ric Flair

Probably one the the best things going right now, especially if he is to join the nWo later on.

Assuming this is non-title for some reason then I say Steiners, making them effectivley number one contenders.

Don't know much about either team, Nasty Boys seem like more of a prospect.

It may be non-title, but I think Benoit would look weak as a champion if he lost.

TGC mentioned that Konnan was pretty good back then, so this aught to be a great match. Konnan should get the win, revenge for the title match, and doesn't really lose any cred.

From what I read (I haven't researched) it seems that Mysterio is just climbing the Cruiserweight Ladder, and not the multi time champion that he will become. We all know he can go, and can take the CW Division exciting places.

As for the Bonus question... not a clue.

So what happened from the opening of WCWSN when the ME was Luger vs. Regal to the actual ME when it became Luger vs. Meng? I blame WCW's shoddy production.

The rest of the show was okay. Pretty much a normal WCWSN in the Nitro era. Nothing major, nothing great, just a wrestling show that featured a little build to the PPV.

So this has to be a forgone conclusion. If they lose the angle is over. If there is a DQ then it is anticlimactic. The only acceptable conclusion is a win by The Outsider.

The Giant hasn't been champ that long, and having him lose now would only weaken his incredibly strong character. I expect Flair and possibly even Horsemen shenanagins though.

Not sure why this isn't a Tag Team Titles match, but since it's not I'll go with The Steiners so as to give them a reason to eventually wrestle for the belts.

As I said I hate both teams, I just see The Nasties as the lesser of two evils.

I almost chose Sullivan, but in the end I went with my heart.

Revenge is sweet.

Rey's too soon with WCW, and Dean was on a roll at this time. Don't forget he was inexplicably managed by Jimmy Hart despite having no ties to The Dungeon Of Doom. Hell, wasn't Luger still managed by Hart at this time too?

Whoops. Yeah, Steiners vs. Heat should be for the belts. My bad.

I don't think Malenko was managed by Jimmy Hart quite yet by this point, but I do remember it happening. As I recall, he was trying to court Malenko for the Dungeoon of Doom, which existed at this point pretty much to beat up the Four Horsemen and John Tenta--it was a really weird, loose stable once the Alliance to End Hulkamania thankfully went bust.

Regal/Luger was a snafu; it was originally the way I'd booked the show, but I changed my mind at the last second--for a reason, of course, but I'll explain it down the road so as not to reveal anything now. Yes, call it WCW screwing up. ;)

I've got to stop writing these things so close to bedtime. I keep making mistakes like that.

All i know for a fact is that just a few weeks later on Nitro Malenko is managed by Hart when he wrestles. Whether he was at BATB or not I simply don't recall for sure. You could be right.

And with the new addition of it being a Tag Team Titles Match, I now change my prediction to Harlem Heat.

Like it has been said, these guys are needed for the story to continue. Plus the fact that we have another member on the way, its one of those things where the unknown is the key to victory

you're selling savage really well but I cant help but have the Foley feeling about his promos. Looks tough. Looks deadlier than ever. But still will lose

My heart says the Steiner's but after the previous result, I've got a feeling it's gonna be harlem heat

A shot in the dark with the Public Enemy

Never ever would expect to hear Benoit say I quit

I was unsure again but I have got a feeling that its gonna be Konnan

In usual bookings, i'd say Dean Malenko, but as its WCW booking and you can never be sure on anything, i've got a sneaking suspicion its gonna be Rey Rey. He's on a role

Edited by DaveKOTW

So far this is shaping up nicely. You've done a pretty good job in portraying everyone to this point. It will be interesting to see how you lay out BATB.

Predictions:

Outsiders

The Giant

Heat

Nasties

Benoit

Konnan

Malenko

now, something that TGC said, about them not having each other's back in the matc. That's exactly why the Outsiders were able to come in and do what they did. The WCW guys were all about helping the lil guys that couldn't fight back, but were nothing but a clusterfuck when it came to actually dealing with them face to face. The WCW wrestlers were the biggest enemy at this time, not the Outsiders. That's how we got the evolution of Sting.

IPB Image

LIVE! from the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida!

Sunday, July 7, 1996!

(Pyro explodes from the ceiling of the Ocean Center as the fans erupt. The camera pans across the beach-styled set and over the crowd, focusing on a few signs: "STING 4 PRESIDENT," "I'M THE MYSTERY PARTNER," "WHAT HAPPENED TO MAXX MUSCLE?")

Schiavone: Fans, we want to welcome you on behalf of World Championship Wrestling to WCW Bash at the Beach, and we are live at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida! What a night we have for you here in Orlando! The Steiner Brothers will take on Harlem Heat for the World Tag Team Championship! The biggest man in the history of our sport, The Giant, will defend the WCW World Heavyweight Title against "The Macho Man" Randy Savage! And in our main event, we will see three of WCW's biggest stars--"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, "The Total Package" Lex Luger, and the Man Called Sting--take on these... these invaders, these Outsiders!

(The camera cuts to the announce booth, featuring Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes, and "The Guy With No Nickname" Tony Schiavone, all of whom are decked out in Hawaiian shirts.)

Schiavone: And the biggest question here tonight is this: who will be the third man to team up with these Outsiders in our main event? Brain, your thoughts?

Heenan: We're just gonna have to wait and see, Tony. These two men know exactly what they're doing--they've been decimating WCW ever since they showed up! If you ask me... and I hate to say this... they have the definite upper hand here tonight.

Rhodes: Uppa hand they may have here tonight, Bobby Brain--talkin' 'bout the invaders, the Outsidahs, if you weeeell--but they comin' to the dog pound tonight! Dubya See Dubya gonna bring their A-game to that ring, and they are gonna show these Outsidahs why this is where the big boys play! We in for a wild night tonight!

Schiavone: It should be a night where history is made! Let's go to David Penzer for our opening bout!

Konnan vs. Lord Steven Regal w/ The Blue Bloods, Squire David Taylor and Earl Robert Eaton:

Regal, playing the role of the British snoot, got a healthy negative reaction and earned Konnan that little bit of extra positive heat as the former US Champ entered the ring. Taylor and Eaton took to opposing corners and began taunting Konnan as he and Regal locked up. Regal pushed Konnan into the far corner, and Taylor grabbed the Latino star's boot, and as Konnan attempted to retaliate, Regal whipped him into the other turnbuckle, at which point Eaton grabbed both of Konnan's boots behind the referee's back and allowed Regal to connect with a running clothesline and gain the upper hand. Regal worked over the right shoulder and upper arm of Regal for the next few minutes with a series of holds and technical moves, earning a series of near falls. Despite being overpowered by Regal's maneuvers, Konnan was able to power out of an armbar and drop Regal with a snap mare followed by an elbow drop for a two count. As Konnan pulled Regal to his feet, His Lordship countered with a quick thumb to the eye, followed by a German suplex for a two count. Regal locked on a sleeperhold for a few moments before Konnan recovered and dropped him with a belly-to-back suplex. Both men slowly climbed to their feet and exchanged punches, and while Regal once again went for a poke to the eye, Konnan countered in Three Stooges fashion: blocking with his hand, then chopping Regal right in the nose! With Regal stunned, Konnan drops his foe with a vicious DDT, then covers for two. Konnan pulls Regal to his feet, whips him into the turnbuckle, then hits a clothesline into a running bulldog and stands over Regal, jawing with him for a moment before pulling him back up and whipping him to the ropes again. This time, however, Earl Robert Eaton jumps onto the apron and distracts Konnan, who pulls Eaton into the ring. As the referee tries to push Eaton out of the ring, Taylor suddenly slides Regal a pair of brass knuckles, which he uses to clock Konnan in the back of the head, then cover for the three. After the match, the Blue Bloods lay into Konnan with a series of kicks to the loud boos of the crowd. Suddenly, the crowd erupts as Latino up-and-comers Rey Mysterio Jr. and Eddie Guerrero dart through the ropes to their friend's aid, fighting off Taylor's cadre of snoots to the cheers of the crowd. Rey and Eddie pull Konnan to his feet and, together, help him backstage.

Winner: Lord Steven Regal via pinfall (brass knuckles given by Squire David Taylor)

Match Rating: 75%

Schiavone: I'd say the score isn't settled with Konnan and His Lordship, Steven Regal.

Rhodes: These two guys hate each udda, and Regal's been takin' advantage of his two cowpokes--his Regally knights, if you weeeeeell--to help him out! But turns out Konnan's got his own posse, and I got no doubt that we gonna see Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterious mix it up with these guys lata on!

Schiavone: And right now, we are ready for our big dog collar match, and I've been informed that the winners of this match will be the number one contenders for the WCW Tag Team Titles--whoever the champions may be after tonight's show!

Nasty Boys vs. Public Enemy - Dog Collar Match:

Brian Knobbs begins the match with an Asai moonsault as Public Enemy enters, and Saggs follows with a senton splash on the two fallen men. Knobbs then nails a rolling moonsault on the floor, while Saggs pulls Rocco up for a vicious enzuiguri.

...no, just kidding.

Both teams get a fair reaction, with both teams playing heavily to the crowd--the Nasties with their usual grunts and shouts, and Public Enemy with their tables and hands waving in the air. The four men are strapped into their collars--Jerry Saggs to Johnny Grunge and Brian Knobbs to Rocco Rock--and the brawling begins. The four men exchange punches, with neither team getting the upper hand early on until Saggs clotheslines Rock over the rope, inadvertantly sending Knobbs into the rope with him. The perturbed Rock tugs the rope and sends Knobbs to the floor, and the brawl continues outside. Grunge takes to whipping Saggs with the chain, while Rock wraps it around Knobbs's neck on the floor until Knobbs collapses in a heap. As Grunge throws Saggs into the corner, Rock rolls Knobbs back in the ring and attempts a pin, but he only earns a two--meanwhile, Saggs fires back with an elbow to Grunge, then drops him with a bulldog with assistance from the chain for a two-count (thanks to Rock's save). The four wrestle a fairly mundane strap match after that with the usual spots: clotheslines with the chain, whipping with the chain, pulling an opponent into the turnbuckle using the chain, groining an opponent with the chain... the crowd is excited at the high spots but doesn't get into it much after that. The end comes when Rock knocks Knobbs out on the floor with a fistful of chain, then proceeds to set up the table outside. Meanwhile, Jerry Saggs tries to whip Johnny Grunge into the ropes, but Grunge reverses, sending Saggs against the ropes before he's knocked to the floor with a clothesline--right through the table, to a big pop from the crowd! Remarkably, Grunge tumbles over the ropes himself and lands right on top of Saggs as the referee counts the three! As Public Enemy unhook their dog collars, they pull Saggs and Knobbs to their feet. The Nasties are hostile at first, but the two teams enjoy a respectful handshake and a few friendly headbutts before hauling the pieces of table back to the backstage area.

Winners: Public Enemy via table spot (Grunge pinned Saggs)

Match Rating: 77%

Heenan: Aw, pathetic! Why do you go shake the hand of the guy who just beat you up?

Schiavone: Could it be that these four men have developed a newfound respect for one another?

Heenan: Bah! You don't shake the hand of the guy who could be out to rip it off!

Rhodes: These four men been through a war, Bobby Heenan, and it looks like they callin' a truce!

Schiavone: Speaking of wars, I've been informed that we've got a cameraman backstage and... wait a minute...

The Mystery Man... Arrives!?

(The camera cuts to the parking lot, where a black limousine has pulled up. A few moments later, the Outsiders appear from off camera and walk toward the limousine door, looking particularly pleased.)

Hall: All right, bra, looks like we got our man!

Nash: (opening the limo door) Hey, bigshot, get on out here! It's just about time!

(Someone does step out of the limousine, and though his white boots are visible, he's hidden by Hall's body.)

Nash: (exchanging a handshake with the concealed man) Whaddaya say, pal? Is it time to go to war? Is it time to take over?

???: (with a slight Southern drawl) No doubt about it. Let's bring 'em down.

(The three men exchange a laugh, but as the cameraman tries to position himself for a better look, Nash turns his head and spots the camera.)

Nash: Hey, what the hell are you doin' back here? You've got five seconds to leave on your own two feet before you leave here on a stretcher!

(Before the cameraman can get a clear shot, he turns and runs, and the feed cuts off abruptly. The camera then cuts back to the arena floor.)

Segment Rating: 91%

Schiavone: Was that--was that the third man? Did you gusy get a good look at him?

Heenan: Not a chance, Tony. I guess we'll have to wait.

Rhodes: The Outsidahs gonna do whatevah they can ta keep that strategic edge, and I think Bobby the Brain's right--we gonna have to wait till the main event here at the Bash at the Beach!

Schiavone: Well, I guess we'll just go back to the ring for our Cruiserweight Title bout!

WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Dean Malenko © vs. Rey Mysterio, Jr.

Rey, hot off the heels of his attempt to save Konnan, gets a good reaction, especially as he's accompanied to the ring by Konnan and Eddie Guerrero, his two close friends. The champ gets a mixed reaction--mostly boos, but it's not as if he's the meanest guy on the roster. Malenko and Rey start out with a lockup, then exchange arm drags, then exchange drop kicks, then exchange rollups, then get back to their feet and stare each other down again. Malenko challenges Rey to a test of strength, but when Mysterio locks up, Malenko quickly kicks him in the gut, then drops him with a double-arm suplex for two. Malenko locks on a side leglock, trying to immobilize the lightning-quick Mysterio before he can initiate his trademark high-risk offense, but Mysterio reaches the ropes. Malenko pulls Mysterio to his feet and tries a running clothesline, but Mysterio ducks and backdrops Malenko with just enough strength to send him over the ropes to the apron, at which point Mysterio drops Malenko to the floor with a dropkick. Mysterio hits the ropes as Malenko pulls himself to his feet, but sensing Malenko is ready for him, he instead stuns Malenko with a tiger feint, then dives through the ropes with a potent suicide dive! Mysterio gets to his feet and rolls Malenko into the ring, but Malenko is the first up and lays into Mysterio with a series of kicks, then manages to lock on a half crab for a minute or so before Mysterio gets to the ropes again. Malenko focuses on a grounded offense, continuing to isolate the left leg of Mysterio, though he never quite manages a submission or pinfall. Finally, a frustrated Malenko locks on a figure four leglock, but just as Mysterio seems about to tap, he rolls the move over, putting the pressure on Malenko's legs and forcing him to release the hold. Both men struggle to their feet and exchange chops, with Malenko sending Rey to the ropes and preparing to hoist him up for a back body drop--only to get caught with a dropkick to the face! Rey is sluggish but still staying active, hitting Malenko with another dropkick that sends him to the ropes. As Mysterio runs towards Malenko again, the Ice Man backdrops Mysterio over the ropes and onto the apron, and Mysterio is quick to leap to the top rope to attempt a springboard huracanrana! Just as Mysterio seems ready to hit the move, however, Malenko blocks with his hands, drops Rey with a modified power bomb, and locks on the Texas Cloverleaf! Mysterio struggles for the ropes but has no choice but to tap out to Malenko's devastating finisher. After the match, Malenko shoots Konnan and Guerrero a pair of icy glares, but no words are exchanged as the Man of 1,000 Holds returns to the locker room with his Cruiserweight Title reign intact.

Winner and STILL Cruiserweight Champion: Dean Malenko via submission (Texas Cloverleaf)

Match Rating: 70%

Schiavone: Love him or hate him, you've got to admit that the Man of 1,000 Holds is on a roll in the cruiserweight division.

Heenan: I love that guy! Here's a guy Malenko who knows exactly what he wants to do, and them he goes out and does it. He's fierce, he's determined, and for some reasons these humanoids don't like him.

Rhodes: Dean Malenko, definitely not a nice fella. Definitely cold-hearted. Callous. Real callous guy.

Schiavone: And speaking of cold-hearted, callous people, we've got another one coming out here shortly: "The Taskmaster" Kevin Sullivan, who will be taking on Chris Benoit in an I Quit match!

Heenan: An I Quit match? We're gonna be here all night! Neither one of these guys has it in him to quit!

Rhodes: It's gonna take a lot to get one o' dese men ta give in! Chris Benoit, newly crowned Dubya See Dubya United States Champion of the world, and Kevin Sullivan, the TASK-mastah, an evil, evil man! I've had wars with this man before, Tony Schiavone, Bobby Brain, and there ain't nobody as mean an' nasty an' tough as that man, Kevin Sullivan.

Schiavone: The match will not end until one man says, "I quit!" Let's go to the ring!

Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan - I Quit Match

Prior to the match, Benoit taunted Sullivan (who was conspicuously without Jimmy Hart) on the outside with Woman, sharing a long, passionate kiss with her. This seemed to set Sullivan off, who immediately ran to the floor and began trading punches with Benoit. The two brawl up and down the aisle, with Benoit gaining an advantage and backdropping Sullivan into the guardrail. The two battle their way to the entrance ramp and into the Bash at the Beach set, where Sullivan thrusts Benoit in the throat before smacking him over the head with a surfboard and dumping a lifeguard chair on top of him. Satisfied, Sullivan signals for the referee, shouting for a microphone. When the referee gives him the microphone, he leans close to Benoit's face and snarls.

Sullivan: That enough for ya, Benoit? Ya need a little more convicing?

He thrusts the microphone into Benoit's face, but the Crippler spits back into Sullivan's eye. The Taskmaster grimaces, then pulls Benoit to his feet and drops him with a scoop slam on the ramp, then a double-stomp to the chest. Sullivan picks Benoit up and sets him into position for a piledriver, but Benoit answers with a back drop, recovers, and takes to the face of Sullivan with an intense series of punches. Benoit pulls Sullivan to his feet, grabs the microphone, and proceeds to drag the Taskmaster by the hair toward the ring, all the while keeping the microphone close to Sullivan's face. Benoit then whips Sullivan face-first into the ring post, then attempts a clothesline to drive Sullivan's face in further, but Sullivan ducks and Benoit hits the post full force. A groggy Sullivan recovers, then locks on a code red arm bar, sitting down hard on the injured arm of Benoit as he takes the microphone again.

Sullivan: Do ya remember Japan, Chris? Do ya remember when Arn Anderson came over there and said he found himself a Horseman? Do ya? Do ya remember bein' the Wild Pegasus, when ya didn't have an evil bastard like me gunnin' for your throat? Huh? It can be that way again, Chris! Just give up now! Just walk away! Walk away!

Sullivan holds the microphone to Benoit's lips and earns only a few grunts in response. Not satisfied, he flies into a rage again, this time biting at Benoit's face and throwing the microphone at it. As Sullivan wanders off to search for a weapon, we see that Benoit has been ripped open courtesy of Sullivan and is beginning to bleed from the forehead. Sullivan returns a moment later with an iron bar that he's found under the ring and swings for Benoit's skull, but Benoit rolls out of the way, and Sullivan hits the ground hard. As Benoit struggles to his feet, Sullivan attempts a clothesline with the bar but is answered with a Benoit book to the midsection followed by a beautiful DDT on the floor! Benoit grabs both the microphone and the bar and begins choking Sullivan on the floor with the bar while holding the microphone to his lips. Sullivan screams and howls but does not submit; instead, he starts to power out of the move, pushing the bar up and forcing Benoit to his feet. The two sit locked in a stalemate over the bar until Sullivan nails a low blow, gains control of the bar, and cracks Benoit in the face with it! As Benoit drops to the ground, Sullivan pounds away at the skull of Benoit, seemingly out of his mind. The Crippler struggles for a few moments before finally falling limp, but nothing seems to stop Sullivan until Woman, from behind, rips the bar from his hands. A furious Sullivan turns around and reaches for the microphone again, his face smeared with Benoit's blood.

Sullivan: Nancy, you got five seconds to get outta here! I ain't here for your blood; I'm here for his!

As the referee tends to Benoit, Sullivan grabs the bar from Woman's hand and swings at her before she hightails it backstage. Meanwhile, Benoit seems to slowly be regaining consciousness, but Sullivan quickly remounts him, choking the life out of him with the iron bar and pounding at his face. Sullivan's eyes are wide; he's as wild as a shark in a feeding frenzy. The referee continues to listen closely for Benoit's response, but Benoit only has a few moments of consciousness left before the lack of blood and oxygen knock him out. The referee tries to get a response out of Benoit, but when none is reached, he calls for the bell. He tries to pry Sullivan off of Benoit but can't do it; the Taskmaster has lost his mind. Finally, the crowd erupts as Arn Anderson and Steve McMichael dart out of the locker room and cooperate to pull Sullivan off of their fellow Horseman. Arn and Mongo throw Sullivan to the entry ramp and shout loudly at him.

Anderson: Let 'im go, Kevin! Go home! You've made your point! Go home!

Sullivan, still enraged, rises to his feet, slams the bar on the ground, and storms off backstage. The Horsemen, meanwhile, tend to Benoit, who is starting to regain consciousness. They offer to get him a stretcher, but Benoit instead pulls himself to his feet via the ring apron. As Arn and Mongo try to take Benoit's arms, Benoit swats them away, insisting on walking back on his own two feet. The crowd applauds Benoit, and a small "Benoit!" chant begins as the Horsemen return to the locker room.

Winner: Kevin Sullivan via Benoit losing consciousness

Match Rating: 64%

Schiavone: Wow... simply... wow.

Heenan: He didn't give up! Benoit did not give up! What a tough athlete Benoit is!

Schiavone: Well... fans, we promised that these two men were going to have a war, but we never... never expected something that brutal. Fans, we... we do apologize.

Rhodes: A war don't have no apologies, Tony Schiavone! These two men came here to have a battle to end it all, an' that's just what they got! But I got a feelin' this ain't gonna sit too well with the man they call the Cripplah, Chris Benoit!

Schiavone: Well... fans, if we can get past that match for a moment, we'd like to remind you of our next pay-per-view event, which should be a huge night...

IPB Image

Schiavone: WCW Critical Mass will be coming to you live from the Kiel Center in St. Louis, Missouri, on Sunday, August 11, only on pay-per-view! And this should be a big one!

Rhodes: No doubt about it, Tony--the DEBUT of the new Dubya See Dubya event, the one that's gonna tear the house down, that's gonna shake up the Gateway City!

Schiavone: And speaking of shaking things up, let's go down to David Penzer for our Tag Team Championship bout!

WCW Tag Team Championship: Harlem Heat © vs. The Steiner Brothers

The Steiners remain WCW's most popular tag team without much competition, and they got a tremendous ovation from the Daytona Beach crowd, while the champs--and especially Colonel Rob Parker and Sister Sherri--were nearly booed out of the beginning. Scott Steiner fed off the crowd's energy early on, dropping Stevie Ray with a series of clotheslines before at last putting him down with a huge belly-to-belly suplex. Stevie then reversed an Irish whip into the ropes, but Steiner managed to counter with a huge Frankensteiner for a two count! Stevie made the tag to Booker T, while Scott tagged in Rick Steiner to the barking of the crowds. Rick continued to dominate with power moves and suplexes before an attempted back body drop from Steiner was countered with a Booker scissor kick. The Heat continued to dominate Rick Steiner, using quick tags and the occasional distraction by Sherri or Parker to thwart Rick's attempt to tag in his brother. The crowd rallied behind Rick with stomps, claps, and barking until Rick was finally able to counter a Stevie Ray Irish whip with a DDT. The crowd was on their feet as Rick crawled across the ring, only to have his foot grabbed by Rob Parker. Moments later, Rick kicked Parker in the face, sending the Colonel to the floor and allowing him to make the hot tag to Scott! Scott came into the ring a house afire, putting down both Booker and Stevie with hard clotheslines before dropping Stevie with an enormous gorilla press slam for the two count. The match then degenerated into a brawl, with all four men in the ring. Meanwhile, Sherri jumped onto the ring apron and began distracting the referee while Colonel Parker slid his cane into the ring to Booker T, who then dropped both Steiner Brothers to the mat. When the ref returned to the match, Rick and the cane were rolled out of the ring, and Stevie Ray had Scott on his shoulders while his brother Booker connected with the Heat Seeker missile dropkick from the top rope, allowing Stevie Ray to get the three count for the win and the successful title defense. Stevie and Booker joined Parker and Sherri outside the ring (with Booker recovering Parker's cane), and the four celebrated on their way back to the locker room, taunting the stunned and unsuccessful champs all the way there.

Winners and STILL Tag Team Champions: Harlem Heat via Heat Seeker (Stevie Ray pinnd Scott Steiner)

Match Rating: 84%

Schiavone: That dirty cheater, Colonel Parker!

Heenan: It doesn't make any difference. The fact is that Harlem Heat did what they had to do to keep the gold where they wanted it: around their waists!

Rhodes: Looks like they carryin' 'em out on their shoulders, Bobby Brain.

Heenan: ...well, whatever, you know what I mean!

Schiavone: Harlem Heat still the WCW Tag Team Champions, and we'll have to see if the same can be said in our next match, which wil be for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship!

WCW World Heavyweight Championship: The Giant © vs. "The Macho Man" Randy Savage--Ric Flair as Special Guest Referee:

Both Ric Flair (conspicuously without Woman and Debra McMichael) and The Giant (conspicuously with Jimmy Hart) received a few boos but nothing too major--as if the fans on the show were more anxious to save their vitriol for the main event. Savage, for his part, got a huge ovation, playing to the crowd as his iconic rock-and-roll version of "Pomp and Circumstance" blasted over the PA. The match began with a staredown, then with Savage accepting The Giant's challenge for a test of strength. Though Savage dropped Giant to his knees eventually, the big man was able to power back up, then turn the lock into a modified belly-to-belly suplex. The Giant dropped Savage with a few powerful moves, including a power bomb that nearly knocked Savage out of his boots, but he never seemed interested in a pin--instead, he toyed with Macho like a cat toys with a mouse. After gorilla pressing Savage to the floor, The Giant received a warning from referee Ric Flair, while Jimmy Hart put the boots to the Macho Man outside. Savage, crawling to his feet, was stunned, swinging wildly at Hart before being pulled back to the ring apron by the Giant, until Savage countered by dropping to the floor and racking The Giant by the neck on the top rope! Savage, recovering, then went after Jimmy Hart, chasing him across the outside and to the ramp, while Hart beat a hasty retreat backstage. Giant, stepping outside, tried to drop Savage with a double-axhandle, but Macho countered with punches and a swift kick to the Giant's midsection. He tried to get Giant up for a scoop slam, but the big man was simply too heavy, and he then dropped Savage with a clothesline. Dragging Savage back to the ring at a nine count, the Giant threw Savage against the turnbuckle and began choking him with his boot before Flair broke the hold up, threatening to disqualify the Giant. The big man threatened to swing at Flair but held back, allowing Savage to sneak up from behind for a roll-up and a two count. Both men made it to their feet at the same time and began exchanging punches, with Savage earning the advantage and sending the Giant to the ropes for a running clothesline. The big man was staggered. Savage hit another clothesline. The big man continued to tumble over. Savage attempted a third clothesline... but was caught with the Giant's hand on his throat! Savage, however, countered with a kick to the midsection, then managed to scoop slam the big man to a tremendous ovation from the crowd! Savage began twirling his fingers into the air to signal for the Savage Elbow from the top rope, but before he could make it to the top, the Giant was back on his feet and pulled Savage from the top rope--Savage showed shades of Ric Flair himself as he was dropped to the mat for two. The Giant locked a huge chinlock on the Macho Man, working the hold for a minute or two until Savage powered to his feet and broke the hold with a few elbows to the gut. Savage again hit the Giant with a few stiff clotheslines and was again able to stagger the big man, but this time, the Giant caught him in the throat and, enraged, shoved him in the corner and began choking him out. Flair demanded a clean break and got it, only to see Savage reverse the move and take to choking the Giant! Flair attempted to break the hold, but Savage shoved Flair away and to the mat. Flair, returning to his feet, shook his head and called for the bell, disqualifying Savage! Savage, outraged, began shouting in Flair's face, and the Nature Boy shouted right back before Macho Man took him down with a clothesline! The Giant, coming out of the corner, attempted again to sneak up behind Savage, but he was met with another scoop slam, and this time, Savage hit the ropes quickly and managed to connect with the Savage Elbow! Before Flair could meet the same fate, he rolled out of the ring, and he and Savage continued to shout at each other as David Penzer announced the match's result.

Winner and STILL WCW World Heavyweight Champion: The Giant via DQ (Savage shoved referee Ric Flair)

Match Rating: 90%

Schiavone: Almost a big night for the Macho Man right there, and you've gotta wonder what he's going to do to get revenge on "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair for that disqualification.

Heenan: Savage is a nutcase! Look at him out there! He doesn't need to be in this ring; he needs locked up!

Schiavone: Well, be that as it may, the Giant is still the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, but right now, we've got to go to our most anticipated match yet. History is in the making here, folks, and we'll go down to the ring for our main event!

Main Event: The Outsiders and ??? vs. Sting, Lex Luger, and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan:

The good guys hit the ring first, rallying the crowd behind them with high-fives and posing--Sting in his Sgt. Pepper gear, Luger with his incredible posing, and Duggan with his 2x4 and rallying cry of "HOOOOOOOOO!" The Outsiders, however, received no music, and instead, they entered through the crowd, receiving some cheers but mostly boos as they came to the ring... alone. Before the two entered the ring, however, they signalled to the other side of the arena, where all of a sudden, a man in the tenth row from the front, clad in a Rey Mysterio Jr. mask, began to walk toward the ring. As he stepped over the railing, the man took to the Outsiders' side and took off his mask, revealing...

Schiavone: Wait a minute! That's... that's Jeff Jarrett!

Rhodes: Jeff Jarrett is in da house, hidden in the crowd! No doubt we never woulda seen 'im--we'd-a just thought he was a Rey Mysterious fan!

Heenan: Unbelievable! The invasion continues!

Schiavone: Fans, I--I don't know what to make of this! I thought for sure Jarrett was employed elsewhere, but here he is, apparently working for these two outsiders, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash!

Heenan: I'll tell you this much: whether or not Jarrett was working somewhere else before, it doesn't matter. He definitely doesn't work there anymore!

Jarrett, upon unmasking, received a massive chorus of boos from the crowd, and the three Outsiders take to the ring, with Luger facing off against... Hall, who is the loser of the three men's game of odds and evens. Hall, arrogantly strolling to center ring, flips a toothpick into Luger's face, and Lex responds by exploding at Hall with a huge clothesline! Hall, shocked, gets to his feet--and all at once, all six men hit the ring, and the brawl is on! Luger, squaring off with Hall, whips him into the ropes and puts him over the top with a clothesline, as Sting and Duggan do the same thing to Nash and Jarrett! The three good guys celebrate in the ring to the roar of the crowd, while the Outsiders, still cool as ever, sit outside and scheme. After a brief huddle, the Outsiders return to the apron, with Jarrett in the ring now against "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, who promptly incites a "USA!" chant for no discernable reason. Duggan takes to hammering Jarrett with hard rights and lefts before Jarrett countered with a thumb in the eye. Jarrett whipped Hacksaw into the Outsider corner and put the hard fists to him, causing the referee to break up the hold--and, naturally, causing Hall and Nash to pound on Duggan while the referee's back was turned. The two reiterated the same spot again, and it ended the same way: with Duggan getting beaten down. Finally, after the third try, Lex Luger entered the ring and attempted a huge flying forearm on Jarrett from behind, but Jarrett, at the behest of his teammate, moved out of the way, and the blow hit Duggan, sending him tumbling over the top rope--and, apparently, causing him an awkward landing on his shoulder. The Outsiders took to beating on Duggan outside the ring before the referee broke up the move and checked Duggan, who appeared to be injured. EMTs soon arrived to carry Hacksaw to the back to be checked on, leaving Sting and Lex Luger at a three-on-two disadvantage. The three men proceeded to carry out a dissection of Lex Luger in the ring, using quick tags and double-team maneuvers to keep the Total Package down as the commentators pleaded for a third man to join Team WCW. Luger managed to reverse an Irish whip from Jeff Jarrett and turn it into a huge powerslam after quite a few minutes of carnage, allowing him to get the hot tag to Sting! Sting took to the nWo quickly, putting Jarrett in the corner and hitting him with a gigantic Stinger Splash, then doing the same to Hall as he entered the ring. However, the numbers game quickly caught up to Sting, as Nash burst out of the corner and dropped him with a side slam from behind. All of a sudden, however... the crowd erupted!

Schiavone: Wait a second, what's going--OH MY GOODNESS! HULK HOGAN IS HERE!

Rhodes: DA HULKSTER IS IN DA HOUSE, TONY!

Heenan: Boy, I never thought I'd say this, but thank God that man is here!

And sure enough, there was Hogan, walking with authority down the aisle to the roar of the crowd as the Outsiders cleared the ring. Hogan slid into the ring. He looked around. He looked down at Sting.

And anyone who has followed wrestling for any amount of time knows exactly what happened next.

Hogan dropped the big leg on Sting.

Schiavone: What the... what is he...

Hogan dropped the legdrop on Sting again. And again. He then proceeded to throw the referee out of the ring as the Outsiders reentered, laughing proudly. The four men embraced and held their hands up high--and although there was no real winner declared, it was obvious who the winner was.

Winners: No contest

Match Rating: 79%

(As the Outsiders and Hogan celebrated in the ring, "Mean" Gene Okerlund arrived, microphone in hand, looking abashed as a wave of garbage from the crowd began to soar into the ring.)

Okerlund: Hulk Hogan, excuse me, EXCUSE ME...What in the world are you thinking?

Hogan: (stepping toward Okerlund) Mean Gene, the first thing you need to do is to tell these people to shut up ifyou want to hear what I have to say.

Okerlund: (shaking his head) I have been with you for so many years, for you to join up with the likes of these two men absolutely makes me sick to my stomach. And I think that these people here and a lot of other people around the world have had just about enough of this man (points to Hall), this man (points to Nash), and no doubt very soon, this man (points to Jarrett) and you want to put yourself in this group? You've got to be kidding me!

Hogan: Well the first thing you've got to realize brother is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of wrestling, brother! These three men right here came from a great big organization up north, and everyone was wondering who the third man was... well, who knows more about that organization than me brother?

Okerlund: I've been there and done that! You have made the wrong decision, in my opinion.

Hogan: Well let me tell you something, I made that organization a monster, I made people rich up there, I made the people that ran that organization rich up there brother, and when it came to pass, the name Hulk Hogan--the man Hulk Hogan--got bigger than the whole organization, brother. Then Billionaire Ted, he wanted to talk turkey with the Hulkster! Well, Billionaire Ted promised me movies, brother! Billionaire Ted promised me millions of dollars, and Billionaire Ted promised me world caliber matches, and as far as Billionaire Ted, Eric Bischoff, and the whole WCW goes, I'm bored brother! That's why these three guys here, the so-called Outsiders... these are the men I want as my friends. They're the new blood of professional wrestling brother, and not only are we going to take over the whole wrestling business with Hulk Hogan, and the new blood, the monsters with me, we will destroy everyone in our path, Mean Gene!

(Okerlund, still furious, looks over the ever-growing array of garbage in the ring.)

Okerlund: Look at of all this crap in this ring! This is what's in the future if you want to hang around with the likes of this man Hall, and this man Nash, and this man Jarrett!

Hogan: As far as I'm concerned, all this crap in the ring represents these fans out here. For two years, brother--for TWO YEARS!--I held my head high, I did everything for the charities, I did everything for the kids, and the reception I got when I came out here... you fans can stick it, brother! Because if it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, you people wouldn't be here! If it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff would still be selling meat out of a truck in Minneanapolis, and if it wasn't for Hulk Hogan, all the Johnny-Come-Latleys that you see out here wrestling wouldn't be here. I was selling out the world, brother, while they were bumming gas to put in their car to get to high school! So the way it is now brother, with Hulk Hogan and the New World Organization of wrestling, brother, me and the new blood by my side... whatcha gonna do when the New World Order runs wild on you?

(Hogan proceeds to grab Okerlund by the collar and shake him.)

Hogan: Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do?

Okerlund: (pulling away) Hey, don't touch me! I've got a fleet of lawyers! Tony, Bobby, DAMN IT, back to you!

(As the camera shows the Outsiders celebrating in the ring, the announcers seem to have little to say.)

Rhodes: Sad... jess sad.

Heenan: Un... unbelievable.

Schiavone: Fans, we have witnessed the end of Hulkamania. For Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, for "Mean" Gene Okerlund, for Dusty Rhodes, and on behalf of World Championship Wrestling, I'm Tony Schiavone... Hulk Hogan, you can go to hell! Straight to hell!

(Fade to black.)

---

(OOC: Wow, that took a while. Hope you like it--I know I'm ripping off some of what WCW did [the Hogan interview was just about verbatim], but the nWo angle had a very strong beginning, and I didn't feel the need to change much aside from hotshotting Jarrett out to show just how strong the invasion really was. Let me know what you think--I should have WCW news as well as the next Nitro soon!)

IPB Image

Where the big boys play!

Top News Items:

* Hulk Hogan and Jeff Jarrett joined the Outsiders, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, to form what Hogan calls "the New World Order of wrestling" last night at the Bash at the Beach! Hogan's agent Scott Lowenstein has contacted Eric Bischoff this morning, informing him that the New World Order will be onhand at Nitro tomorrow. Mr. Bischoff is taking this threat very seriously and is doing everything in his power to increase security and ensure that Hogan and his allies will be civil and respectful.

* "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was reviewed by paramedics due to his accident last night at Bash at the Beach, and although he experienced a great deal of pain, he has been cleared to wrestle. Duggan has stated that he plans to attend Nitro tomorrow night and has a special message for Hulk Hogan and the New World Order.

* Chris Benoit received several stitches in his forehead following the brutal attack from Kevin Sullivan last night. Though he has a scheduled defense of the United States Championship on WCW Monday Nitro tonight, WCW President Eric Bischoff has informed him that he need not defend the title if he so chooses. Benoit, however, seems intent on proving that he's a fighting champion. We'll see if he turns up tomorrow night for his scheduled defense.

* WCW Director of Programming Stephanie Arcanum has announced that WCW Worldwide will be retooled in an effort to grant exposure to the up-and-coming stars of the Turner Broadcasting-owned Championship Wrestling from Florida. The hour-long show, airing at 10:00 a.m. on TBS every Sunday morning, will feature a recap of the week's happenings in WCW as well as several matches featuring CWF stars. The pilot episode will feature CWF Champion Alex Wright defending his title against Hugh Morrus, CWF Tag Team Champions High Voltage defending against Hector Garza and Lizmark Jr., and Glacier taking on "Black Magic" Norman Smiley. Mike Tenay and Lee Marshall will host this program.

* WCW has come to terms with the release of "Desperado" Joe Gomez and Al Greene. We wish these two men luck in their future endeavors.

* This Saturday, WCW Saturday Night will begin airing at its new time, at 8:05 Eastern Time on the Superstation, TBS! The two-hour show promises to be a tremendous event for WCW, and fans can expect each and every WCW title to be on the line at the event! Don't miss it!

IPB Image

Preview:

We are one day removed from Hulk Hogan turning his back on World Championship Wrestling, joining outsiders Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, and Jeff Jarrett to form the New World Order! Hogan and his posse will be in attendance this Monday; what surprises will they have for WCW? We'll also hear from "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair regarding recent happenings in WCW, including his decision to disqualify "Macho Man" Randy Savage last night at the Bash at the Beach! And speaking of Savage, will he have plans for WCW World Heavyweight Champion The Giant tonight, when he defends his title against the newest member of the Four Horsemen, Steve "Mongo" McMichael?

On the card:

The Giant vs. Steve McMichael

Jeff Jarrett vs. Ice Train

Chris Benoit vs. Disco Inferno

Dean Malenko vs. Eddie Guerrero

Konnan and Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Lord Steven Regal and Squire David Taylor

Diamond Dallas Page vs. The Renegade

---

(OOC: Well, you all pretty much tied in your predictions, so I'm going to give the win to the only guy who guessed the results of the Nasties/PE match correctly, DaveKOTW. You'll get to make a decision regarding WCW's next pay-per-view, Critical Mass [Yes, I replaced Hog Wild, since it's impossible to simulate a card that generates a zero-dollar gate in EWR.], so check your PM box for the match you get to decide.)

I'm probably going to be one of the few, if only, that likes Jarrett. The PPV was solid enough and the NWO coming out party was good.

I actually liked how you did the Benoit/Sullivan match. Sets up the 'new' Benoit nicely, and of course gives us the revenge we so desperately want on Sullivan.

all in all, nice job.