How do you guys make your backgrounds?

Guest Mattieo

Stock photos. I started out using premade backgrounds and using layer blending to make them mismash, and then moved on to doing filters like cloud filters as a bse and messing around with that. But by far the best thing you can do to make backgrounds is to use stock photos. Make a few basic backgrounds using the render clouds filter, playing around with the various filters you have, and then test to see the best way to use layer blending to produce good results. Then find a few stock photos that kind of fit the general idea of your graphic (or use texture photos if you don't have a specific stylistic ideal) and plug them in.

Using the soft light blend, you can generally use the edges and shades of the stock photos without making them too obvious when blent into the general mismash of the clouds. I usually desaturate everything and add color later, or sometimes not at all. But yeah, stock photos are going to become your best friend as you get into making graphics for yourself or others.

Stocks and textures mostly. Textures are my main tool for creating backgrounds though. I also use the filters and then also creating basic stuff and adding textures to them help a lot.

Pretty much, though, you have to find your own way of making them.

Just experiment. The best things in art happen by accident. Fuck around and throw shit at the wall; if it's good, keep it, if it's not, then keep screwing around.