The Song and Video Review

ROC

Justin Timberlake - "What Goes Around...Comes Around"

Director: Samuel Bayer (written by Nick Cassavetes)

Track from FutureSex/LoveSounds

Justin Timberlake has seemed to not do any wrong lately. (in the music world...we won't go into Alpha Dog). And oddly enough, he creates his most fascinating clip for the third single off of FS/LS with a star-laden video for "What Goes Around...Comes Around".

The Music: Solid. While the arguments are that in real life, Justin could very well be the person that in the song he's condemning, he creates his cheating anthem with such vigorous energy that it's hard not to enjoy. Once again, producer Timbaland puts down the track with such dance-hall flavor mixed in with simple guitar work for a fantastic effect. And the last two minutes of the song is just...awesome. (8.5/10)

The Video: Massively entertaining, despite being overlong and flawed. First off, lucious actress Scralett Johansson stars, along with Timberlake and his fellow Alpha Dog co-star Shawn Hatosy. And while Cassavetes's dialogue is mostly on-the-floor and the video plays off like a massive excuse for Timberlake to make out consistantly with Johansson, it's still hard to turn away. It's not the trainwreck of Trapped in the Closet, but it's more the type of clip that almost makes you wish to see a full film of the video. (Especially the explosive ending.) Also, points to Johansson for wearing what appears to be a rounded bra that almost reminds you of Madonna's garb in "Vogue". And points to Johansson for being hot. Hell, Timberlake probably will just get points for realizing that nerds need Scarlett like Tyrone Biggums needs crack. (7.5/10)

(And yes, I just said basically that Scarlett and explosions were the only good things about the video and still gave it a good grade, sue me.)

The Moral: If you fuck with Justin...YOU WILL DIE.

Rating: 8/10

Edited by Anus's Biggest Fan!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mims - "This Is Why I'm Hot"

Track from M.I.M.S.(Music Is My Savior)

It appears that when Nas made his NYC criticisms during the publicity tour for Hip Hop Is Dead that this is exactly the type of thing he would criticize about NYC rappers. Mims really keeps it basic for his mainstream debut, "This Is Why I'm Hot", an example of bad rap and splotchy production if ever seen. (Which of course means it has to get airplay from every damn rap-related music channel.)

The Music: Laughably bad. When the song opens to the line "This is why I'm hot/I'm hot cause I'm fly", it's obvious Mims doesn't even know how to explain his own "hotness". The song continues to delve into slipshod rhymes like "I'd still sell a million if I stayed silent through the track". (Sounds like a 50 Cent rhyme, only, he'd actually have truth to it.) The production is too similar. There's nothing provocatively different about it and it really doesn't help Mims's rhymes look or definitely sound any better. (1/10)

The Video: Inoffensive, but too by the book. Seriously, there's nothing about this video that is any better than "Generic Rap Video #268". (3/10)

The Moral: If you haven't even sold a damn record yet and you're talking it up, shut the fuck up.

Rating: 2/10

Nas - "Can't Forget About You"

Track from Hip Hop Is Dead

Nas's strange love letter to the steadily dumbed down genre of mainstream hip-hop, Hip Hop Is Dead, produces its most nostagic and tender track in another Will.i.am produced number called "Can't Forget About You". (That's all to really explain.)

The Music: On fire. Nas takes the right balance of passion, bitterness, and nostaglia in the track, and softening the sound with the lovely Chrissette Michelle playing the background and "Unforgettable" as the sample. Now, as blasphemous as using that track could be, Nas does use it for good here. Unlike other rap samples, he knows not to destroy the song he's sampling's good vibes and Will.i.am is solid in the production booth as well. All of it comes together to form probably the most striking song from the album, and a song that gets to you. (9/10)

The Video: Not bad. Again, like other videos tacked on with solid songs, the video doesn't enhance the song necessarily, but the reflective view of Nas going through NYC does give off good feelings, much like the song. (Whoda thought it? An NYC rapper that DOESN"T make a shit clip...looking at you, Diddy.) (7.5/10)

The Moral: The song title says it all.

Rating: 8/10