Favorite Unknown/Unsigned Bands

Fitzy

Bearsuit

One of my favourite bands, just mental twee-pop brilliance. They should be miles bigger than they are.

Sounds like: If you described Sonic Youth to a group of primary school children, and let them use with musical instruments and hallucinogenics.

Recommended Tracks: The Gazumper, Cherryade

FalenizzaHorsePower

Really amazing local band...kind of experimental hardcore, for the most part, although they've branched out more recently. Just two guys, a drummer and a bassist, sharing vocal duties. Amazing stuff.

Sounds like: Not much else out there.

Recommended Tracks: The Horse Head Nebula Changed My Life, Killian The Name Of

The Halloweenies

A local band that play two or three gigs a year, at Halloween weekend. A good laugh, if nothing else.

Sounds like: Generic punk and hardcore, really.

Recommended Tracks: Zombiemo

Terrorsaw

Brighton-based electro band that lasted about a weekend.

Sounds like: Robots In Disguise having an orgy with The Locust.

Recommended Tracks: Just To Be With You

The Pantalons

Legendary, yet sadly defunct, local Jersey electro-funk band. Easily one of the best bands to come out of this island.

Sounds like: Talking Heads meets Radio 4 meets Prince meets Frank Zappa

Recommended Tracks: Lily White Pants

The OKs

Ireland-born but Jersey-based...fairly middle of the road, but by some of the most talented musicians I've ever had the pleasure of meeting and working with. Incidentally, the O'Keefe brothers in the band are the brothers of Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.

Sounds like: Muse, a bit. The Killers, a bit.

Recommended Tracks: Eudeanomy

Select All, Delete, Save As

Novelty act by a Jersey lad I went to college with, basically. Good laugh.

Sounds like: NOFX or something, I suppose

Recommended Tracks: Andy Warhol, What Did He Ever Do?

Tramp Sinatra

Billy Bragg-endorsed Jersey folk-punk-indie greatness.

Sounds like: Billy Bragg, The Pogues, The Clash

Recommended Tracks: For The City

The Meatballs

Local Lucha Libre-themed synth-cabaret. Doesn't get better than that.

http://www.bizarremag.com/reviews.php?id=2905

The Midnight Expresso

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_TkWRmVZc-Y

More mask and keyboard-based tomfoolery. Improvised lyrics over the top of Yamaha keyboard demo tracks.

Edited by Zeta (TAFKA Skummy)

Lykathea Aflame (MySpace link)

The most technical and most beautiful death metal I have ever heard, music that trancends genres while still being some of the most heaviest stuff you will ever hear on this planet. Influences range from jazz to ancient Egyptian instruments with a solid death/grind base. Beautiful instrumentals combined with powerful vocals and one seriously badass drummer. Listen to the tracks on MySpace and then get yourselves their "Elvenfris"-album if you care even the tiniest bit about metal. Seriously.

Sound like: Closest you can get is Nile and Cryptopsy, I think: but neither of those bands can play this kind of elegant, controlled chaos.

Recommended songs: Anything you can get your hands on. "Elvenfris" is easily in the top 3 metal albums ever made.

Edited by Bushmeister