The Best Of 2006

YI

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psh.. We all know that BA should be ranked higher.

It should.

Joey Cape is an amazing songwriter, and it was pretty creepy you're absolutely right to listen to some of the songs on the final album.

I hope Joey releases a new Lagwagon album, or something new. Cause I miss Joey.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've been distracted from this. It's almost 2 months since I added anything, so I'm DEFINATELY going to finish this. Every two days I will add at least two more reviews, meaning I should be done in at the most 10 days. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

NUMBERS 20 & 19

thedraftba8.jpgdraftgm9.jpg

20. "In A Million Pieces" by The Draft

MEMBERS : Chris Wollard (Hot Water Music), Todd Rockhill, Jason Black (Hot Water Music), George Rebelo (Hot Water Music)

GENRE : Punk-Rock

REVIEW : Last year Hot Water Music broke up after over a decade of making music. In some respects HWM were one of the few bands who were lucky in that they shared two frontmen. With Chuck Ragan going off to work on an acoustic project, they could have easily continued on with the Hot Water Music name, however they didn't as the remaining members of the band launched a new band, The Draft. There are times in this release where I do feel as though I'm listening to Hot Water Music, most notably the opening track "New Eyes Open" with it's typical HWM opening riff and massive sing-a-long chorus. If I were to be honest, this album basically follows the natural progression of HWM albums, and is a more than suitable follow on to "The New What Next". However, it also doesn't just feel like a HWM album. Although, I admit, if Chuck Ragan had laid down some vocals I'd have easily accepted it as a HWM release. Now, that's enough about Hot Water Music and now onto The Draft. As previously stated, the opening song is "New Eyes Open". It's a powerful song that really prepares you for the rest of the album to follow. It's horrifically catchy, more of a poppy edge than HWM had. Following this opening track you're greeted with another anthematic song in the form of "Lo Zee Rose". Once again there's another huge shout-along chorus. This is also where the recurring theme for the album first makes an appearence. In a lot of songs there's a strong theme of money (most notably gambling), smoking and drinking, tied in with addiction. And "Lo Zee Rose" is what I'd call the 'ultimate' student/young person song. But speaks of his addiction to smoking. As you can tell with the opening words of "I've got 25 in the bank/3 on me (you know)/Five cigarettes are gonna have to last the night (you know)/Cos the money that I have's been spent too much/I try to make it last but it never does/And I've been smoking just way too much as I'm sure you know". I admit that after the first two tracks that the best two songs are out of the way. However there's still some quality songs later on. The rocking "Longshot". There's also "Bordering", which literally comes out of nowhere. After a number of 'heavy' tunes you suddenly have this 'synth' twinged intro. There's not a single bad song on here, which is something that I don't think I've ever been able to say about a Hot Water Music album. They put out an i-tunes EP this year that I wasn't a fan of, so hopefully they can sort themselves out for the next release. Also, I missed the opportunity to see these guys live, supporting The Bouncing Souls, due to the fact I had flu. I was gutted.

BEST SONGS : "Lo Zee Rose", "New Eyes Open", "Out Of Tune", "Let It Go" and "Longshot".

islandsjh9.jpgreturnci0.jpg

19. "Return To The Sea" by Islands

MEMBERS : Nicholas Thorburn, Alex Chow, Patrice Agbokou, Sebastian Chow, Patrick Gregoire, Aaron Harris

GENRE : Indie-Rock

REVIEW : All hail Canada. Home of trendy indie-rock bands that are massively overhyped, over pretentious and generally quite trite. Now all hail Islands. One of the few exceptions that prove the rule. The album itself sounds like it was recorded in a bedroom, mostly because it literally was recorded in a bedroom. And this kind of 'slapdash' approach runs throughout the entire album. It sounds very DIY, which adds to its own unique style. I believe I've said it once, that if a young Beatles were around today, this is what it would sound like. You've got your cute summer classics, with a calypso, carribean influenced numbers like "Jogging Gorgeous Summer" and "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby", which is where I feel like Islands really come into their own. Along with the likes of "Volcanoes" and "Humans", the latter of which is a borderline 'shanty' in style, these are the songs where the melodies and stylistic-ness of Islands really shine out. However that's not to say that the other factors in Islands style aren't good. When needs be, they can straight up rock, which is seen with the ending to the previously mentioned "Volcanoes" and "When There's A Will There's A Whalebone", which sounds like a song Gorillaz forgot to write. With a groovy bassline, heavy drumming, 'howling' vocals and and funky breakdown into a 'rap. They can do downright 'weird' with the best of them. However they never lose their 'cuteness' or appeal, as even with the stranger songs like the melencholy "One" or the keyboard based "Rough Gem" and the just downright weird "Tsuxiit", you just can't help but shrug the feeling they've been recorded on Fisher Price, "My first instrument" toys. It's just so neatly done. And of course there's the opening and closing tracks. The opening track, "Swans (Life After Death)" which clocks in at over 9-minutes, which combines a lot of the elements that makes Islands so great. It's got beautiful melodies, but it also builds and builds into an epic, rock & roll finale. Then there's the hidden track, "Bucky Little Wing" that finishes things off. This is an outstanding, melencholy piano composition, set the the 'white noise' of rain pouring in the background. An ode to the summer styled album before it. It's melencholy, whimsical, but still has a sense of fun and beauty about it, it never ceases to bring a smile to my face, even though it's an incredibly sad song lyrically. That's something I haven't touched on. Islands are fucking brilliant lyrically. A little pretentious at times, but that comes with the territory. There's so much going on, and there's so many diferections that Islands could go in for their next album. And I just cannot wait for it. Major props to Ringy for bringing them to my attention.

BEST SONGS : "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby", "Bucky Little Wing", "Jogging Gorgeous Summer", "Rough Gem" and "Humans".

• 3 weeks later...

I seriously cannot be fucked with this. And I don't think a lot of you could be fucked with some of the shit I wrote, so here's the list in its entirety. There's some stuff that would be there, which isn't, as I finally got around to listening to it too late to put it in the list.

Plus...it's getting suspiciously close to 2007. :shifty:

THE 2006 LIST OF DOOM

100. "ZOMBIES! ALIENS! VAMPIRES! DINOSAURS!" by Hellogoodbye | Electro/Emo/Pop | 59/100

99. "Cassie" by Cassie | R&B | 59/100

98. "Oh! Calcutta!" by The Lawrence Arms | Punk-Rock | 60/100

97. "Everytime We Touch" by Cascada | Dance | 60/100

96. "Costello Music" by The Fratellis | Indie-Rock | 60/100

95. "The Gold Record" by The Bouncing Souls | Punk-Rock | 60/100

94. "Rest Inside The Flames" by 36 Crazyfists | Alt-Rock | 61/100

93. "Crime Slunk Scene" by Buckethead | Prog/Instrumental | 62/100

92. "Liberation Transmission" by Lostprophets | Alt-Rock | 62/100

91. "Three Cheers For Dissapointment" by Arrogant Sons Of Bitches | Ska-Punk | 62/100

90. "Letoya" by Letoya | R&B | 62/100

89. "Murder Party" by BeerBong | Punk-Rock | 62/100

88. "Threes" by Sparta | Indie-Prog/Post Hardcore | 62/100

87. "The T4 Project: A Story Based Concept Album" by The T4 Project | Punk-Rock | 63/100

86. "As Daylight Dies" by Killswitch Engage | Alt-Metal| 63/100

85. "Mr Beast" by Mogwai | Instrumental/Prog | 63/100

84. "Western Dream" by Bob Sinclair | Dance | 63/100

83. "This Is Satire" by None More Black | Punk-Rock | 63/100

82. "Under The Iron Sea" by Keane | Piano-Rock | 64/100

81. "A City By The Light Divided" by Thursday | Emo/Post Hardcore | 64/100

80. "Apocalypse In Increments" by Ryan's Hope | Punk Rock | 65/100

79. "Hello Everything" by Squarepusher | IDM | 65/100

78. "We Don't Need To Whisper" by Angels & Airwaves | Emo/Rock | 65/100

77. "Everything All The Time" by Band Of Horses | Indie-Rock | 65/100

76. "Return To Cookie Mountain" by TV On The Radio | Prog-Rock | 66/100

75. "Songs The Animals Taught Us" by Roommate | Indie-Electro | 66/100

74. "With Love & Squalor" by We Are Scientists | Indie-Rock | 66/100

73. "Taking The Long Way" by The Dixie Chicks | Country-Pop | 66/100

72. "Be Your Own Pet" by Be Your Own Pet | Punk-Rock | 67/100

71. "Get Lonely" by The Mountain Goats | Acoustic-Indie | 67/100

70. "Dying To Say This To You" by The Sounds | Electro/Rock | 67/100

69. "Amputechture" by The Mars Volta | Prog-Rock | 67/100

68. "The Always Open Mouth" by Fear Before The March Of Flames | Post-Hardcore/Math-Rock | 67/100

67. "Like A Virgin Losing A Child" by The Manchester Orchestra | Indie-Emo | 67/100

66. "Sound Of The Republic" by Raised Fist | Hardcore | 68/100

65. "Grace" by Simon Webbe | Pop | 68/100

64. "Meds" by Placebo | Alt-Rock | 68/100

63. "Spock's Beard" by Spock's Beard | Prog-Rock | 68/100

62. "Death To Tyrants" by Sick Of It All | Hardcore-Punk | 69/100

61. "Silent Shout" by The Knife | Electro | 69/100

60. "The Red Tree" by Moneen | Emo | 69/100

59. "Once Again" by John Legend | R&B | 70/100

58. "Eyes Open" by Snow Patrol | Indie-Rock | 70/100

57. "Canyoneer" by No Trigger | Punk-Rock | 71/100

56. "Stand Still, Look Pretty" by The Wreckers | Country-Pop | 71/100

55. "Futuresex/Lovesounds" by Justin Timberlake | R&B | 71/100

54. "The Bronx (II)" by The Bronx | Punk-Rock | 74/100

53. "Reignition" by Down By Fire | Punk-Rock | 74/100

52. "Chronicles Of A Bohemian Teenager" by Get Cape Wear Cape Fly | Acoustic-Indie | 75/100

51. "Dead FM" by Strike Anywhere | Punk-Rock | 76/100

50. "Armalite" by Armalite | Punk-Rock | 76/100

49. "Story Like A Scar" by The New Amsterdams | Folk-Indie-'Acoustic' | 76/100

48. "Of Whales & Woe" by Les Claypool | Funk Metal | 77/100

47. "Civilian" by Boy Kill Boy | Indie-Rock | 77/100

46. "When Your Heart Stops Beating" by Plus 44 | Rock | 77/100

45. "Ta-Dah" by Scissor Sisters | Gay | 77/100

44. "Begin To Hope" by Regina Spektor | Indie-Pop | 77/100

43. "Louder Now" by Taking Back Sunday | Emo | 78/100

42. "Razorlight" by Razorlight | Indie-Rock | 78/100

41. "Patent Pending" by Heavens | Alternative | 78/100

40. "The Life Pursuit" by Belle & Sebastian | Indie-Pop | 78/100

39. "The Sufferer & The Witness" by Rise Against | Punk-Rock | 78/100

38. "Born In The UK" by Badly Drawn Boy | Pop/Piano-Rock | 79/100

37. "Stadium Arcadium" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers | Alt-Rock | 79/100

36. "This Town's Disaster" by Blackpool Lights | Indie-Emo | 79/100

35. "He Poos Clouds" by Final Fantasy | Gay | 79/100

34. "Blood Mountain" by Mastodon | Metal | 79/100

33. "Dog Problems" by The Format | Indie-Pop | 79/100

32. "Reclamation" by Bigwig | Hardcore Punk-Rock | 79/100

31. "Peeping Tom" by Peeping Tom | Alt-Pop | 79/100

30. "The Same Side" by Lucie Silvas | Pop | 80/100

29. "Kill Them With Kindndess" by The Headlights | Indie-Pop | 80/100

28. "The Adversary" by Ihsahn | Black Metal | 80/100

27. "Billy Talent (II)" by Billy Talent | Emo-Rock | 80/100

26. "Black Holes And Revelations" by Muse | Rock | 81/100

25. "Putting The Days To Bed" by The Long Winters | Indie-Rock | 81/100

24. "Illuminare" by Umbrellas | Indie-Pop | 81/100

23. "WWI" by White Whale | Prog-Indie-Rock | 81/100

22. "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" by Arctic Monkeys | Indie-Rock | 82/100

21. "Twelve Small Steps, One Giant Disappointment" by Bad Astronaut | Prog-Indie-Rock | 82/100

20. "In A Million Pieces" by The Draft | Punk-Rock | 82/100

19. "Return To The Sea" by Islands | Indie-Rock | 83/100

18. "The Freedom Spark" by Larrikin Love | Indie-Rock | 83/100

17. "The Eraser" by Thom Yorke | Electro | 84/100

16. "Lover, The Lord Has Left Us..." by The Sound Of Animals Fighting | Experimental/Prog-rock | 84/100

15. "Nuclear Daydream" by Joseph Arthur | Acoustic/Rock/Singer-songwriter | 85/100

14. "The Scattering Of Ashes" by Into Eternity | Melodic Death Metal | 85/100

13. "Electric President" by Electric President | Electro-Indie-Pop | 85/100

12. "St. Elswhere" by Gnarls Barkley | Alternative/Soul/R&B | 86/100

11. "Brightblack Morning Light" by Brightblack Morning Light | Psychadelic/Ambience | 86/100

10. "World Waits" by Jeremy Enigk | Singer-songwriter/alt-pop | 86/100

9. "The Crane Wife" by The Decemberists | Indie-Pop | 87/100

8. "Come Clarity" by In Flames | Melodic Death Metal | 88/100

7. "Unicornography" by The Falcon | Punk-Rock | 88/100

6. "...And The Battle Begun" by Rx Bandits | Prog-Ska | 89/100

5. "The Garden" by Zero 7 | Lo-Fi/Trip-hop | 89/100

4. "The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me" by Brand New | Indie-Rock/Emo | 90/100

3. "Wild Peace!" by Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra | Jazz-Ska | 91/100

2. "Keasbey Nights" by Streetlight Manifesto | Ska-Punk | 92/100

1. "Our Darkest Days" by Ignite | Punk-Rock | 93/100

If you want anything from the last 18 'reviewed', I will try and do it for you.

And in closing, the immortal words of Brendan Kelly;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0e7qxgX1Kc - The Falcon/Lawrence Arms on AFI and Tom DeLonge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0Hy5AtEQU - Falcon/Lawrence Arms on Coheed & Cambria/The Mars Volta

Watching the Co&Ca fans kick off is amazing...and the Mars Volta fans as well...even though they don't say anything bad about Mars Volta.

Edited by YI