The British Isles produces the best music.

Rage

Yeah, the Libertines for sure.

Snow Patrol

the Arctic Monkeys too.

Urgh and urgh, Snow Patrol are basically generic indie music combined with generic singer-songwriter vocals, they're a good listen, but not great by any stretch of the word, and the Arctic Monkeys are the drizzling shits.

And Kaiser Chiefs aren't? I thought this was about who could become a "legendary rock group", in which case no one who's been mentioned could. But then, name one band from the US this decade, or for quite some time before, that could do either?

I don't think any band will become "legendary" to the level of something like The Beatles, or Zeppelin, or even U2, just because music's a lot more accessible now. People have much more choice in what music to listen to, so they're not going to follow the "big thing" nearly as much as they used to, and that's a good thing, in my opinion.

But if it just comes down to bands that are plain better, pick up a copy of something like Plan B Magazine, and there are better bands than the Kaiser Chiefs on every page, some of them from the UK, some of them not.

Yeah, but Spektor's the marker >_>

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I find Begin To Hope and Songs great, and far better than anything from Imogen Heap or Beth Orton (the other name I hear bandied around with Spektor) - which isn't to say Heap isn't good, she's just not Spektor good. You should probably find some of her live stuff to see just how amazing she is, particularly her songs with no instruments accompanying her.

Yeah, but Spektor's the marker >_>

That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I find Begin To Hope and Songs great, and far better than anything from Imogen Heap or Beth Orton (the other name I hear bandied around with Spektor) - which isn't to say Heap isn't good, she's just not Spektor good. You should probably find some of her live stuff to see just how amazing she is, particularly her songs with no instruments accompanying her.

I can't quantatively say that we produce the 'best' music, but most of my favourite artists are British.

For example - Roll Deep/Wiley, Sikth, Aconite Thrill, Bashy, the Streets, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party, Maximo Park, Aphex Twin, Sway and Biffy Clyro.

Compared to non-Brits I listen to regularly - Tool, Bjork, Talib Kweli, Nas and D.E.P.

Most of the music I listen to is British, or at least European, there's just something more down to earth about British music I find anyway. It's nice that a new wave of indie, metal, grime and hip-hop acts are finally using their proper accents as well, as opposed to singing in a psuedo-American accent.

I find that too much of the stuff coming out of North America sounds just like every other band coming out of NorthAm (aside from a few HUGE bands like Guns, Metallica, Chilis... but they've all been around ages).

British Rock and Metal (as that's what I prefer), seems to be more... unique. There's a certain sound to bands that their own. Not just the generic stuff that seems to filter over here.

p.s. Scandinavian Power Metal for the win!

Edited by Dragon-F'n-Force!