Libertines new album 'Sensational' Mick Jones says

Jook

CLASH guitarist and current LIBERTINES co-producer MICK JONES has declared the forthcoming album "sensational", and has even drawn comparisons between the band and his own legendary outfit.

Jones has been working alongside The Clash and Sex Pistols producer Bill Price with the tempestuous band in a west London studio, and says that the band's frictions are exaggerated.

"[it’s been] Beautiful, and don't let anyone tell you differently," he said to Teletext. "If it was as stupid as people are making out - security guards to stop them fighting and that crap - do you think I'd be mug enough to stick around and put up with it?

"They've grown up. What happened with Pete (Doherty) going to prison was a horrible time, it could have finished any band. They know that, and it's made them realise how much they love each other.

"People say that me and Joe (Strummer) were both the best of friends and the best of rivals." He explained, "I don't agree - we never had time to be rivals!

"Pete and Carl (Barat) have the same fluidity we had. Joe would sit at a typewriter, have a great lyric by the time I'd had a coffee and I'd knock up a tune for it in a few minutes. That's how quickly The Libs do it - low boredom threshold."

When asked about the bands new album Jones also proclaimed "a record as good as this only comes along once in a generation".

"Sensational. I can't believe how good they've got, even since 'Up The Bracket' - and that was a great debut," he explained.

He added: "You had it with The Clash. And now it's The Libertines turn. The lyrics on ‘The Man Who Would Be King’ are as good as any I've heard. Everything that's happened to them in two years is on this record, and a lot has happened to them

Good good. Anyone got any idea when it'll be out?

There's no ideas when it will be out, I've heard so many different things and there's been so many different set-backs.

I've got the Man Who Would Be King demo, as well as Last Post On The Bugle which is always supposed to be on the new album. Both good songs.

I was a bit sceptical about the Pete-Carl arguing thing. Obviously there is some kind of genuine tension there (hence Pete going to jail for burgling Carl and their uneasyness on stage when they're not talking), but I wandered whether it was a kind of Liam-Noel Gallagher thing. Played up a lot for the publicity.

Anyway, good news about the album, The Libs are probably one of my joint favourite bands (with Muse and Oasis).

Edited by supergrass

Guest Ringmaster

Looking good. Of course, where I'm from about 10 people know who these guys are, but it doesn't stop the fact that they're one of the best Brit bands to come out in a while.

My big question is will Mick Jones actually produce it this time, or will he do the Up The Bracket thing of just pressing record, going to the pub, and coming back in half an hour. I much prefer Bernard Butlers production on What a Waster, the original I Get Along, and on Dont Look Back Into the Sun. You can directly compare I Get Along between the two, as well as the version of Death on the Stairs on the B-side of DLBITS, and Bernies are far better.

Not a major gripe, but a gripe nonetheless.

My big question is will Mick Jones actually produce it this time, or will he do the Up The Bracket thing of just pressing record, going to the pub, and coming back in half an hour. I much prefer Bernard Butlers production on What a Waster, the original I Get Along, and on Dont Look Back Into the Sun. You can directly compare I Get Along between the two, as well as the version of Death on the Stairs on the B-side of DLBITS, and Bernies are far better.

Not a major gripe, but a gripe nonetheless.

I had no idea they were produced by different people. I prefer Don't look back into the sun and What a Waster to the rest of that album as well. Interesting...

I wasn't aware they'd been produced by different people, but I like the end of Don't Look Back Into The Sun when the production comes in and there's a mix of a lot of different things all coming together.

The songs are there though, and they're good. You'd have to be a pretty shit producer to turn a Libertines song bad. So I'm confident the new album will be great.

Undoubtably. I just feel that Jones likes to leave it the way its played, whereas Butler prefers a more polished sound, which I agree with. If I want to hear a live sound, I'll em live, they tour constantly.