The Weekend Isn't Over

RPS

So I don't know about everyone, but the sophmore slump definitely reared its ugly head for the Bloc Party. A Weekend In The City, to put it lightly, was a disappointment. I had HUGE expectations for the album (naturally) and it just kind of fell flat on its face. It just didn't click with me and really, I only can actually say that four of the songs from the album are any good, whereas Silent Alarm was a flawless album from me, top to bottom.

I was on some blog and they linked up to The Weekend Isn't Over, the b-sides/tracks left off A Weekend In The City. Its pretty much a lot better than A Weekend In The City. I don't know what happened, really, because in total they wrote 22 tracks. If they had taken the 11 best it'd definitely would have been a great CD. Instead we get four great songs from A Weekend In The City and whole lot of filler and some great songs left off the CD.

If anyone was disappointed by A Weekend In The City, check out the The Weekend Isn't Over. Definitely worth the time to download, because I'd say it is pretty good.

I have to say, I absolutely adore the album barring perhaps Kreuzberg and the last song, the rest being ace. Of their contempories reaching the second album phase (Futureheads, Razorlight, Killers et al) this is the one that hasn't disappointed me (Maximo Park and the Kaisers have it all to play for). And this theory that these 11 songs are the only ones written and dropped for the album just seems silly, odds are half are dropouts from Silent Alarm. Titling your album rejects?

I do agree a good bit with what PRP was saying. I admire them going for a much darker approach with AWITC, but it's hard to not think they're being too heavy-handed with the subjects. I do like some of the tracks like "I Still Remember", which reminds me a good bit of "This Modern Love", and "Hunting for Witches" though, I thought "The Prayer" was pretty gay.

I always thought that Bloc Party got lucky with Banquet and rode it for all they could which would explain the slump in AWITC. Not all is lost - their are plenty of new artists making great music out of the UK in the last six months, personally I'm hooked on The Long Blondes and Just Jack.

I quite liked "A Weekend In The City", granted it's not up their with the debut, but it's a relatively good album (And sounds so much better in real quality :shifty:). "Hunting For Witches" is a bloody brilliant song, but at the end of the day, there was no way they could possibly live up to the debut. At least they've tried to go a bit of a different route with this album, managing to avoid the whole "Regurgitate the same stuff, but worse" things that lots of bands tend to do. And unlike bands like The Killers, it's actually a good release (The new Killers album was fucking offensive).

I haven't heard this yet. There's other albums which are of greater priority to me at the moment (New Aqualung!!!), but I'll probably check it out in a while.

And I like Jamie T. :( In a "I'd kill him, but keep the remains close to me" kind of way.

Edited by Nitro Girl Kimberly

I quite liked "A Weekend In The City", granted it's not up their with the debut, but it's a relatively good album (And sounds so much better in real quality :shifty:). "Hunting For Witches" is a bloody brilliant song, but at the end of the day, there was no way they could possibly live up to the debut. At least they've tried to go a bit of a different route with this album, managing to avoid the whole "Regurgitate the same stuff, but worse" things that lots of bands tend to do. And unlike bands like The Killers, it's actually a good release (The new Killers album was fucking offensive).