Your most satisfying victories...

Yeah, I was reading the 'heartbreaking defeats' thread and figured I'd post this. i had been meaning to post something along these lines for a while but only know could be bothered. So heres mine:

I was playing tennis for my school earlier today. For the last few weeks I had been playing really shit people and had been winning all my games 6-0 6-0 or 6-1. i never dropped more than one game in any set. Well, to my delight, this week, the guy who I faced had actual tennis skill. He was Japanese (maybe it mattters :shifty:) and in his 20s and we played best of 3 sets. In the first set, I won the first 3 games and was up 3 love. Then he came back and took 5 consecutive games, amking the score 5-3 in his favour. I tried really hard to win the set and ended up doing so, taking the first set 7-5.

In the second set, he decimated me winning 6-1. I was pretty much down and out. But I managed to comeback and take the 3rd and final set 6-3. I was so happy after that match.

So what are some of your victories? :mellow:

Ironically, a great moment for me was actually in a defeat! I used to play badminton every week to a decent standard. There were two district competitions a year, various other tournaments and leagues that I took part in, but the competition, sponsored by Pfeizer was the main one for me. One of the two yearly tournaments was straight knockout while the other was a round robin group stage style set-up. I always came away with at least one trophy from singles or doubles.

In singles there was this one guy who was beyond excellent. I think I only beat him a couple of times ever and he was called up to play England schoolboys or something. If he was around he usually won, but there was this second guy who I had a great rivalry with, and although I'd say 80% of the time I beat him, when I did it was always close.

Now in the round-robin we played the badminton rules of the time (only score on your serve) and to get through all the games it was first to 11 (in the knock out it was 15). This was one of my rare matches when I lost to my main rival, but I lost on the tie break (about 14-12 - you have to win by two clear).

He then lose to the main guy 11-4, so as in round robin results didn't matter, but points did (14-12 was counted as 11-9 I believe for scoring purposes), I needed to get 7 against the main guy to get second in the group (we'd beaten al the others).

The guy shot off to a 7-3 lead and I couldn't get settled, but at 10-6 it was my serve, he cleared to the back, I cleared to the back, he pushed it to midcourt to the left which I backhanded back and he swept itthe opposite way to I was running, but I managed to stick out my raquet behind my back and knock the shuttle over in a perfect dropshot to win the point! Huzzah! The gantry went crazy! Even if I'd have won his points were higher than mine anyway but 11-8 the final score was and I felt happy enough.

Like 6 months ago or so when I was playing exceptional tennis all the time, loving it and was winning good matches and losing close matches, any match I won I was very pleased with.

No I don't play as much competitively and focus on coaching now, but yeah. I'd say one of the best one was when I finally broke my 7 game duck against an opponent and finally beat him. In the first set I went up like 4-1 early on and wavered a little, but held my nerve to get back into it and took the first set 6-4 I think. Then, same scenario, I went ballistic early on, overpowering him since he was more of a hacker when he just ran and got the ball back, whereas I liked to press the attack, got a good 5-2 lead I believe but again I couldnt hold my nerve and allowed him back into 7-5. Basically I just wanted to pack my bag up and leave now, and he took an early 3 or 4-0 lead in the decider, but I began to find my groove again, fought back well and mixed it up by rushing the net.

Match point, I think I'd lost a few and I decided I wanted to win it quickly, can't remember who served but I remember hitting to his forehand and him scarpering for it. I rushed into the net and punched home a forehand volley and finally defeated one of my denoms. We both sat on the floor for the next fifteen minutes talking about what a great match it was.

A few months earlier he'd beaten me in a greay 7-6, 7-6 match where we both played well. Needless to say my victory was a great moment for me that made it all worthwhile.