World Championship Wrestling 2000

Benji

WCW Nitro 2000

Date: January 31, 2000

Change of Hart…?

Bret Hart, Kevin Nash and Chris Benoit are confirmed for making appearances for the last Nitro of January, Bret Hart played a major influence in last week’s main event. What will “The Hitman” have to say about his actions and will Nash and Benoit be out for vengeance…?

Seeds of Dissent…

Scott Steiner interfered in the No1 Contenders match for Jeff Jarrett’s United States title, but Steiner purposely gave the man Jarrett didn’t want to face the win. Why would Steiner do such a thing? Cracks are already showing in the New World Order, but the alliance they fight seems stronger than ever…

The Reply…

Stevie Ray publicly apologised to his brother and sister on Thunder, Booker T makes his return after one and a half weeks in hospital. Will Booker accept his brother like his sister did or has Stevie already gone too far?

Matches…

Norman Smiley defends his title against Bam Bam Bigelow

The Mamalukes will take on the Varsity Club

Buff Bagwell and the Filthy Animals’ Rey Mysterio Jr. will go one-on-one

The Harris Bros. defend against XS for the WCW Tag Team titles

• Like 1

World Championship Wrestling Presents… Nitro

Date: January 31, 2000

Intro

The new Nitro intro from last week plays, it finishes and the image goes straight to the announcer table.

“Tonight the WCW Tag Team titles will be on the line as the underdog team of XS take on the Harris Boys,” Tenay explains to begin the show.

“Not only that,” Schiavone continues, “but all the members of the New World Order are in the house, as well as the unholy alliance AND Bret Hart! What will Hart have to say for his actions tonight?!”

“Buff Bagwell is also in competition against Rey Mysterio Jr,” Tenay adds, “can the cruiserweight overcome the odds, will we see Diamond Dallas Page making an appearance… find out tonight on Nitro!”

Unity…

Backstage the New World Order is arguing with one another.

“QUIET!” Nash commands.

Immediately Steiner and Jarrett go silent for their leader, Nash coughs and sorts his collar.

“That’s better,” Nash proclaims, “now guys, you see what them fools have done to us? Benoit, Funk, Sid, they’re playing us at our own game. We were meant to split them and show unity, but instead we’re forced into petty squabbles, this was NOT the reason I ordered the re-forming of the Order.”

“So what are we going to do about it?” Jarrett demands, “thanks to this idiot here,” Jarrett points to Steiner, “I stand a major chance of losing my United States title! He screwed up the plan Nash! Can’t you see HE’S the one trying to break us up!”

Steiner and Jarrett start squabbling again; Nash simply sits down in his chair when a lady opens the door.

“Mr. Nash?” the lady queries, “He’s here.”

Nash smiles, he puts his index finger of each hand on Jarrett and Steiner’s chests, they go quiet.

“Tonight that unholy alliance will be ripped apart,” Nash growls, “I won’t be fighting, I have far more important things to do, but I’ve organised a partner for you… I think you know who he is…”

Nash walks out smiling as Jarrett and Steiner are left in their room arguing.

Norman Smiley versus Bam Bam Bigelow for the WCW World Hardcore title

The match was totally dominated by Bigelow as Smiley screamed in his high pitched manner at the sheer intensity of Bigelow’s blows. Bam Bam bit into Norman’s forehead which caused Smiley to nearly pass out, as Bigelow went for the pin Brian Knobbs ran out with Jimmy Hart and Bigelow in the back. The Beast from the East got so caught up trying to beat down Knobbs that Smiley escaped with the title.

Winner and STILL WCW World Hardcore champion: Norman Smiley via time limit expiry

A Rematch…

The camera is on Commissioner Nash and the woman who told him ‘He’ had arrived. Billy Kidman comes running up to Nash.

“There you are!” Kidman shouts, “Nash, man, you HAVE to give me a rematch from Thunder! You saw how that little border crossing thief screwed me out of taking his title at SuperBrawl!”

“Look Billy,” Nash says, turning to Kidman, “I’m a busy man, so if you don’t mind…”

Kidman looks despondent; then his eyes light up.

“Come on!” Billy shouts, “You got screwed out of your title too! I saw it, you know what it’s like, give me a chance.”

“Hmm…” Nash ponders, stopping in his tracks, “okay Billy, seeing as you seem to be so knowledgeable, I’ll give you you’re shot, but it’s a tag team match, if you and that ‘Border Crossing Thief’s brother, Eddie, can beat the number one contender and Saturn, then you got your match…”

Nash walks on with the woman as Kidman is left smiling.

The Mamalukes versus Varsity Club

Rick Steiner and Mike Rotunda showed a solid team performance against the superior numbers of The Mamalukes as Kevin Sullivan was not at ringside. Marinara and Disco did not fail to get involved in the match, as neither did Leia Meow. However the odds were stacked against Rotunda as he was kept away from Steiner for too long and The Bull pinned him after the Fugettabout It.

Winners: The Mamalukes via Johnny the Bull pinning Mike Rotunda

Accepted… but it’s not over…

The Harlem Heat theme start up as Booker T makes his way to the ring.

“That man right there Tenay,” Schiavone says with a serious tone in his voice, “he has been to physical and mental hell, all thanks to his own flesh and blood.”

Booker doesn’t do any fan interaction, he just walks to the ring, his hand is bandaged which causes him to struggle when climbing through the ropes slightly. He is handed a microphone, he looks out to the crowd but doesn’t say a word. Slowly he lifts the mic to his mouth.

“You know Stevie,” Booker begins, “I’ve been through a lot of things in this ring, I’ve been through wars, I’ve been through happy and sad times, and just about all those times I was with my partner, with my bro, with you… so when you turned your back on me it hurt bro, more than any physical torture you could put me through.”

Booker looks very upset as he looks out to the crowd, he gestures to them.

“These people,” Booker says of the crowd, “these people deserve better than to see YOU’RE problem with me being taken out. They don’t need to see a personal issue where families are torn apart… but unfortunately they already did… that’s why they’ll see it again… at SuperBrawl it is all set,” Booker continues, “we will face off one-on-one for the last time I expect it to be. I do accept your apology bro, but the score needs to be settled. On Pay-Per-View, you and I will go head-to-head, man on man in a No Disqualification match… I’ll see you at SuperBrawl…”

Booker looks very serious and concerned as his music kicks up and he walks to the back.

Buff Bagwell versus Rey Mysterio Jr

Bagwell seemed very distant during the match as Mysterio used his speed and Bagwell’s lack of alertness to take the bigger man down. Mysterio went for the Ruff Ryder but Bagwell got his elbows up and Mysterio got crotched. Tygress helped her man as Buff went for the Kobayashi DDT as she distracted Buff allowing Mysterio to get the roll-up for a victory. Buff didn’t seem too bothered post-match as he walked away.

Winner: Rey Mysterio Jr via pin fall

We are…

The scene is the darkened church as has been seen in previous segments, the three mysterious men, clouded in black are praying, the two on either side of the centre are smaller than the middle man. The left sided man stands from prayer but keeps his head bowed…

“We are the way to eternity… the end of all things and the everlasting life…” the man explains.

The right sided man follows the same motions as previous.

“Do not fear us… instead bask in our glory as we cleanse you all…” the second man continues…

“We are here to show you the way,” the two men say in unison, “… we are here to be…”

The centre man stands and walks towards the camera, he pulls off his hood to reveal those dark red eyes once more.

“…The Judgement…” the centre man growls.

The centre man punches the camera as he screams, words appear on the screen as he utters in Latin, “Prepare Dark One…”

Harris Bros. versus XS for the WCW Tag Team titles

The Harris’ seemed to have everything locked up until Miss Hancock flashes her thong at them, instead of being dazed by the sight the Harris’ dragged her into the ring only for Evan Karagias to come down and save Miss Hancock from the attack along with Helms and Moore, this distraction allowed XS to get the pin and the shock win.

Winner and NEW WCW Tag Team champions: XS via pin fall when Lane pinned Ron

The Revolution versus Filthy Animals

Malenko and Saturn versus Kidman and Guerrero, on paper it’s one hell of a match and the action wasn’t far from the truth, while a few slightly unexpected moments hit the match, none more so than Eddie ‘accidentally’ knocking Kidman as he went for a Shooting Star Press on Malenko. Kidman and Guerrero however did manage to beat down Saturn enough to pick up the win and give Kidman the title shot. Post-match, Guerrero and Kidman were seen to be arguing.

Winner: Filthy Animals via Kidman pinning Saturn

Chris Benoit, Terry Funk and Sid versus The New World Order

Benoit, Funk and Sid went to the ring first, Steiner and Jarrett followed to separate music, they awaited on the outside as the commentators kept screaming for Bret Hart to come out, only for the Outsiders theme to hit and Scott Hall make his first appearance for a number of weeks, returning to keep with the New World Order. Jarrett and Steiner seemed in shock too as if they were expecting someone else.

The match was a tremendous tag team match, each team using their own specific moves and combining them with team mates, for example the as Benoit went for the Sharpshooter Sid locked in a clutch on the neck of Hall, however Jarrett and his equalizer came into play as he smashed the referee round the head and Steiner knocked around everyone with a Baseball bat. For the match end Steiner caused Funk to submit to his Steiner Recliner, he then locked it onto Benoit and held him facing the TurnerTron as the match finished.

Winner: New World Order via Terry Funk submitting to Scott Steiner

Compromise…

Backstage Kevin Nash is standing with a bloodied Bret Hart as Benoit watches the TurnerTron through Steiner’s Steiner Recliner.

“Hey Benoit,” Nash smiles sadistically, “I know you paid this weasel to cost me the title. I know you and he plotted to destroy the New World Order from the inside by planting him their… I know you Benoit… this guy helped train you… this is a man who deserves everything he gets…”

Nash growls, he opens a door behind them and walks through it dragging Hart with him.

“Now due to a contractual stipulation,” Nash smiles, “I can’t legally use my power to give myself another shot at your title without permission… so I thought maybe a bit of compromise might help… how about we trade… you give me a title shot and I don’t throw this punk off…”

The camera pans out to reveal Nash and Hart are on a massive stairwell outside the building.

“What do you ‘crippler’?” Nash laughs.

Hall shoves the mic in Benoit’s face as Steiner lets go.

“Urgh,” Benoit stumbles, “you have your match Nash… under my stipulations…”

Nash smiles and gives a ‘Thumbs Up’, Jarrett smashes a second guitar on Benoit’s back, the bloodied and batter unholy alliance in the ring is the last shot as Nitro goes off the air.

• Like 1

PWNewsLine.net | Nitro Notes

Villano IV and Villano V were informed of their releases before Nitro, as was The Barbarian and Kevin Sullivan. The Villano’s were given their release as the booking team felt they had no future use to the company as their characters were too restricted to give them any real future, instead of wasting both parties time they were given severance pay, neither side harboured bad feelings about the release. The Barbarian was given a similar reason for his release, although his was due to the fact the ‘Savage’ gimmick was already taken by Meng. Kevin Sullivan’s reason for release is undisclosed although it is apparently down to some form of dispute over the booking committee and a personal issue with another WCW wrestler.

Sid versus Jeff Jarrett for the WCW United States title, Booker T versus Stevie Ray and Billy Kidman versus Chavo Guerrero Jr. for the WCW World Cruiserweight title have all been confirmed for SuperBrawl so far.

Matches still rumoured that may or may not make the card include the three men only known as “The Judgement” taking on three also un-named opponents. Sid, Benoit and Funk taking on the New World Order match is in question due to the title situations. DDP versus Buff is almost a guarantee to take place, although stipulations may be announced. Vampiro and the Maestro may also be facing off over the Symphony situation.

Many backstage have been calling for some major name signings, however the current Head Booker says he is having trouble finding roles for the current roster and would have to make more cuts, which he does not want to do so early in his role, in order to create places for newer talent.

In the new month Jamie Dundee and Lash Leroux have signed new contracts, Dundee and Leroux are expected to help rebuild the tag division soon, Dundee in his regular team PG-13 and Leroux with a yet decided partner.

• Like 1