Official NFL 2007 Thread

ACCBiggz

You do realize that it'll be the 3rd season since that happened right? I mean, it'd be different if it was the first year after Katrina but it isn't and if that were the case, I would be pissed.

That being said, you have to understand that they're trying to introduce the sport over there and history really doesn't matter since they don't know the history (all that well at least). What they need, to introduce the sport and to captivate them so that they stay fans and don't get bored with the product, is send two teams who can put points on the board. It's good business and that's what Goodell's paid to do.

You do realize that it'll be the 3rd season since that happened right?

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...RLY? :rolleyes: i th0t it juts hpnd last wek. Der.

But then I found a news article that explained the whole situation. :shifty:

What they need, to introduce the sport and to captivate them so that they stay fans and don't get bored with the product, is send two teams who can put points on the board.

Yes, because the Dolphins were so overloaded with offensive talent. Being obsessed with scoring power is simply a backlash against the waste of three hours that was last season's game. And when the rain makes next year's game a 6-3 snoozer, I'll be the first to laugh his ass off.

Sure, playing in London is great business. I don't object to the games at all, it's just this one team in this one unique situation that, news flash, isn't totally fixed yet. The NO economy's not back to full speed yet, and every game helps them immensely. Why not even send the Packers if we're so obsessed with offenses? Who would you say is more well-known in England: Brett Favre or Drew Brees?

You do realize that it'll be the 3rd season since that happened right? I mean, it'd be different if it was the first year after Katrina but it isn't and if that were the case, I would be pissed.

That being said, you have to understand that they're trying to introduce the sport over there and history really doesn't matter since they don't know the history (all that well at least). What they need, to introduce the sport and to captivate them so that they stay fans and don't get bored with the product, is send two teams who can put points on the board. It's good business and that's what Goodell's paid to do.

I just think its unfair that New Orleans loses yet another home game, after missing an entire season in New Orleans, and that bullshit "home game" at Giants Stadium, I really think they should be able to hold onto all of their home games. Especially when the Giants got an extra home game out of that season, then didn't have to give one up when going to London.

Hey, we're not retards over here! The majoriy of fans here got into the sport in the late eighties, when teams like the Niners, Giants, Redskins, Bears, Broncos and Dolphins (they may not have won owt, but Marino's a fackin' ledge) were on top, hence them being the most fervently supported over here (along with the Bucs, because we Brits apparently love the losers - TB has one of, if not the biggest UK-based NFL supporter's clubs). Yeah, they're trying to grow the sport over here, so they need teams who are moderately successful at least, but that's not to say it'd be wise to completley ignore the older fans. Who's going to recommend it/talk about it/teach it to the newbies otherwise?

Oh, and not everyone loves a shootout, I'm equally (if not more so) appreciative of a solid defensive effort.

And don't anyone dare suggest sending Brett Favre over here :angry:

So long as NO's owner doesn't do what Huizenga did (raise the prices again, and charge full price for the 10 home games -- 8 season, 2 preseason -- even though the preseason games you hardly get to see a game, and because of London it turned out to be 7 regular season games).

And in a truly classy move, it was announced that if the fan had season tickets, and somehow was able to make it to London, they would still not be guaranteed a ticket (despite the fact that they had paid for 8 regular season games).

I just think its unfair that New Orleans loses yet another home game, after missing an entire season in New Orleans, and that bullshit "home game" at Giants Stadium, I really think they should be able to hold onto all of their home games. Especially when the Giants got an extra home game out of that season, then didn't have to give one up when going to London.

You guys are reacting like the Saints don't have a choice in the matter. The team has to agree to give up one of their home games, it's not like they've been forced into it.

You guys are reacting like the Saints don't have a choice in the matter. The team has to agree to give up one of their home games, it's not like they've been forced into it.

Yeah, they did, and it actually sounded like they ("they" meaning the spokesman who's paid to sound happy) were happy about getting named to the game. So, it's neither here nor there, but I still think there were much better teams to send over.

First something for the British, now something for the Canucks:

Bills to play annual regular-season game in Toronto starting next season

Associated Press

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The NFL map will include Canada now that the Buffalo Bills will play an annual regular-season game in Toronto starting this year.

Citing the "tremendous amount of interest" the Bills generate across neighboring southern Ontario, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced Friday that the team will play a regular-season game in Toronto in each of the next five seasons.

The plan also includes three Bills preseason games -- one every other year starting this season -- in Toronto during that stretch.

The NFL has played games outside the United States, most recently when Miami faced the New York Giants in London in October. But the Bills will be the league's first team to do it annually.

In his pre-Super Bowl address to reporters, Goodell said the Bills' plan, first presented to league owners in October, "was done thoughtfully to help regionalize the team even more broadly.

Goodell sidestepped questions regarding the NFL's interest in basing a team in Toronto.

"That's not our focus right now," Goodell said in Phoenix.

But he didn't rule out the possibility of playing more games in Toronto.

"We'll never take out the idea it could lead to more, but that's not our plan," Goodell said. "This is a deal for five years. We're going to focus on the next five years."

The games will be played at the downtown Rogers Centre, a domed stadium with a retractable roof that's home to baseball's Toronto Blue Jays and the CFL Argonauts.

The Bills' bid is their most ambitious attempt to secure the small-market franchise's long-term future in Buffalo by tapping into Toronto's vast corporate base. Toronto is Canada's financial capital and largest city, with a population of about 4.6 million and located a 90-minute drive from Buffalo.

Bills owner Ralph Wilson said the team's proposal received unanimous approval from NFL owners. He also credited the cooperation of Blue Jays owner Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors.

"The population growth in Toronto, the passion the Canadian fans have shown for the Buffalo Bills and the vision of Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum have made this possible," Wilson said.

Rogers, who also owns the Rogers Centre and is president and CEO of Rogers Communications, has previously teamed with Tanenbaum to lead a group seeking to bring NFL football to Canada.

The date of the game and the Bills' opponent is expected to be announced once the NFL schedule is released in April. The game is expected to be played in December to avoid conflict with the CFL season, which concludes with the Grey Cup championship in late November.

A press conference has been tentatively scheduled for next week in Toronto.

Toronto's FAN 590 radio station has reported that Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats season-ticket holders will have the first opportunity to buy tickets, followed by Bills season-ticket holders. The station also reported that the average ticket price for games will be $250, and buyers would have to buy tickets for all eight games to be played in Toronto through 2012.

That's a significant increase over ticket prices at Ralph Wilson Stadium, which average about $46 each.

"This is like a dream come true," said Phil Lind, vice chairman of Rogers Communications. "Canadians love NFL football, and this series will let Canadians see the games live in Toronto."

The Bills, who count Toronto as part of their territory, attract an average of 15,000 Canadian fans to their home games, but have had little success establishing marketing deals and selling luxury suites to companies north of the border.

The Bills have maintained this is an extension of their bid to regionalize their base.

But fears have been raised that these games mark the first step toward permanent relocation, especially once Wilson dies.

The 89-year-old Wilson doesn't intend to sell or relocate the Bills while he's alive, but does plan to have the team sold to the highest bidder after his death.

In November, Rogers questioned Buffalo's long-term ability to support an NFL franchise, while backing the Bills' bid to play limited games in Toronto.

I can fully understand why some people are concerned about the team moving to Toronto permanently, but they're still drawing 70,000 fans to Ralph Wilson Stadium. Once Wilson dies, I imagine Ted Rogers is going to be all but setting himself on fire to draw as much attention as he can.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Rogers and Tannenbaum will stop at nothing to bring a team to Toronto - and they have more access to money than perhaps any two people in Canada.

I'm really not sure where all this talk of the Bills having a "strong following" around here comes from...it seems like the casual fan will support just about any team. But there are figures showing Canadians making up a substantial amount of Bills' attendance, so I guess that has to be some support there.

And the worst part of this news is that it signifies the beginning of the end for the CFL. With Rogers and BCE putting heavy advertising into the eventual Toronto NFL team, the CFL would look second-rate by comparison, and for that reason will be held off any of their TV properties...

If you were looking for Grade A competition in NFL Europe, then you're a moron to begin with. The game was doing exactly what it was supposed to be. It was spreading the American brand of football. It involved "foreign" players and provided opportunity within the game for fans, players, and others looking for jobs. How is that a joke ? So it became NFL Germany .... who cares ? The point is, their was a rather well known league of American football in Europe, and it was a GREAT grounds for developing players. Again, how was that a joke ?

The league was drawing 35K plus for the world bowl and anywhere from 15 - 40K for regular season games .... again, how was it a joke ?

It was started for the sole purpose of being an outreach of American football that also gave the NFL a haven to develop players. That's exactly what it was, and oh by the way drew plenty of fans in Europe.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Not in Canada, no. Grey Cup and Super Bowl draw comparable audiences, and the CFL's regular-season average is either equal to or slightly above the NFL's, can't remember.

So it became NFL Germany .... who cares ?

The game was doing exactly what it was supposed to be. It was spreading the American brand of football.

How does the league folding teams from other countries so that the majority are in Germany and only one other non-German team spread the American brand of football? It reduces it.

If you were looking for Grade A competition in NFL Europe, then you're a moron to begin with. The game was doing exactly what it was supposed to be. It was spreading the American brand of football. It involved "foreign" players and provided opportunity within the game for fans, players, and others looking for jobs. How is that a joke ? So it became NFL Germany .... who cares ? The point is, their was a rather well known league of American football in Europe, and it was a GREAT grounds for developing players. Again, how was that a joke ?

The league was drawing 35K plus for the world bowl and anywhere from 15 - 40K for regular season games .... again, how was it a joke ?

It was started for the sole purpose of being an outreach of American football that also gave the NFL a haven to develop players. That's exactly what it was, and oh by the way drew plenty of fans in Europe.