De La Hoya vs. Mayweather

Whisper

Yeah so, anyone watching this? Undercard was ok actually, I enjoyed the Bautista fight at least and Juarez looked impressive at times.

Really really looking forward to this. I fancy Mayweather for the KO late on, but i'd love to see De La Hoya beat him, i hate Mayweather with a passion. Either way, should be an awesome fight.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

I was happy catching up on Ultimate Fighter leading to this fight. I have De La Hoya winning this too, although, I wouldn't mind seeing Mayweather back up his smack.

Bah! Fuck off Mayweather. De La Hoya did far more to win that fight in my opinion. Mayweather backed off and backed off, "pot shotting" as the commentators described it well. I don't see how one judge can have Mayweather winning by 4 rounds there... I might be biased but De La Hoya tried to win the fight, Mayweather tried to avoid De La Hoya and by no stretch of anyone's imagination did he "outbox" him as he's now trying to claim.

"What did you do specifically to avoid his left hook to the body?"

You ran away Floyd, that's what you did.

EDIT - And De La Hoya is absolutely right, if he hadn't pressed the fight there wouldn't have been one.

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Wow, did they just say that the skill that goes into MMA matches doesn't compare within light years of the skill in this fight?

BS.

Edited by Sire LL

I'm not saying that Mayweather shouldn't necessairly have won, it was a damn good fight and a damn close one at that, but anyone can see that fight was never 116-112. And say what you like about that statement, watch the fight... De La Hoya's defense was far too solid for Mayweather to get any momentum going. The only time he really left himself open was when he pressed. Had De La Hoya not pressed, Mayweather wouldn't have and it would've been a far more cagey fight with a lot more single shots thrown.

Like Biggz said, all De La Hoya pressing the fight did was change the gameplan. Mayweather did a fantastic job of adjusting to that, but if DLH had continued to press in the final rounds, he probably could have pulled it out. Surprisingly, one of the judges gave one of the final rounds to De La Hoya, not sure how.

Mayweather landed more power punches and landed a higher percentage of his punches, Oscar just threw more. Majority of those were glancing blows that didn't have a whole lot of effect.

LAS VEGAS – UFC president Dana White said Saturday he plans to make Floyd Mayweather Jr. a multi-million dollar offer to fight his lightweight champion after Mayweather's numerous putdowns of mixed martial arts fighters.

About 90 minutes after Mayweather's victory over Oscar De La Hoya, a bout in which he earned $10 million plus a cut of the pay-per-view revenues that could double that figure, White said he was prepared to match Mayweather with UFC lightweight champion Sean Sherk.

White wouldn't be pinned down on a specific number, though he said, "I promise you, I will make it worth his while. I will make it very worth his while."

White was undaunted even after hearing of Mayweather's large payday.

"I told you, we can make him a very, very competitive offer if he still feels he can beat one of our guys," White said.

White was so angry at repeated comments made by Mayweather disparaging the UFC and mixed martial artists during the buildup to his fight with De La Hoya that he brought UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta and Sherk to the MGM Grand Garden to make a case for a fight with Mayweather.

Mayweather sent a peace offering to White via UFC vice president Marc Ratner before Saturday's bout. Mayweather told Ratner to tell White he was only kidding when he was ripping the UFC and its fighters.

"Floyd talked to Marc Ratner and he told Marc, 'Tell Dana I love him and all this talk about the UFC was just hype,' " White said. "Floyd and I used to be really close and I was kind of disappointed and (ticked) off with the way he was talking."

As for Sherk, White said, "He loved being here and seeing the atmosphere, and I think he left here believing he'd beat the living (expletive) out of the guy if he ever got the chance."

We had a poll about the outcome of a Sherk/Mayweather fight before, didn't we? Regardless, Sherk would probably beat the pretty off him, he'd just be called "Boy" from then on.

We had a poll about the outcome of a Sherk/Mayweather fight before, didn't we? Regardless, Sherk would probably beat the pretty off him, he'd just be called "Boy" from then on.

Yes, we did, and I was about the only one who thought Mayweather would win.

I didn't see the fight, just the numbers and the first couple of rounds. Sounds like De La Hoya threw a lot more punches but Mayweather did just "outbox" him.