On The Lot

Anyone else watching? Some of these pitches suck, but I guess you can't expect much better from a bunch of amateur, aspiring filmmakers. They got some terrible loglines, too.

Well it's Veronica Mars finale night so I'm definitely not watching it now, but I'll tape the west coast airing as it might be decent. Nothing will top the Affleckness that was Project Greenlight though.

For anyone who might have been turned off by the show's original documentary style presentation, they've officially transitioned to the more traditional talent show style, which suits the show's purpose way better. Brett Ratner has been jettisoned in favour of weekly guest judges (this week's was Disturbia director DJ Caruso), and with less focus on the "human drama" we actually get to see the filmmakers' products, which are for the most part quite good. There were three or four absolutely fantastic efforts, and probably about the same bad. Everything else was tolerable to good, and more than worthy during the summer season.

Of tonight's efforts, I'd say "Danger Zone", "Soft" and "Dance Man" stood out as the most unique and interesting. Of the bottom of the heap; "Wack Alley Cab", "Bus #1" and, unfortunately (seriously, who'd thought Italy of all places would produce one of the weaker finalists?), "Blind Date". They piled on "Two Screw In A Lightbulb", but I actually laughed at her basic message, "Q: How many men does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: None, because a woman figured it out first." No idea how they're gonna fill an hour tomorrow, though.