A God of War or a PS2 problem?

Reddaye

POSSIBLE SPOILERS - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Well Saturday I finally decided to purchase and play God of War for the first time (Lord help me for taking so long). Well I dusted my PS2 off and started playing without problems. Yesterday I accidentally dropped the disc and now it has two scuffs, but I had no problems until today.

I got home from work, popped GoW in began playing through the 'Cliffs of Madness' or whatever it's called (the area just after making the statue rise out of Kronus' back). I got to the part where you have to plug the necklaces into the statues to make the four platforms that move back and forth across a large gap pop out.

I make it across the gap and take about two steps and my screen goes black. I can still hear the platforms moving, when I hit start of select the menu screens come up but the actual gameplay screen is black. I hit the attack buttons and get no sounds of Kratos attacking.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Is my game fucked? Is my PS2 finally on it's last legs after so many years?

Edited by Drifter_2000

He's talking about God Of War 1 if I'm not mistaken. It sounds like dropping the disk caused the problem. If you wear glasses, use some water and your glasses cleaning cloth to wipe down the disk as best you can. Even if it's scratched that can sometimes clean it up enough to work. If not, go to a game shop and get it resurfaced, which can sometimes help. Otherwise, you're fucked.

I never had problems with the game screwing up except when I left it running for days at a time, which is just a stupid idea with a playstation anyway.

Guest Grapehead

I guarantee somewhere in NS does it, since we've got a ton of places to do it in PEI haha

It may be a PS2 problem at the same time, as my PS2 has become more finicky with smaller scuffs and scratches lately. So a combination of both could be the problem, but I'd try cleaning the disc first and then try resurfacing it if that doesn't help

Edited by Grapehead

Well I don't know of any places locally that resurface discs, although I'll likely ask around if cleaning doesn't work. I've got some cloth of cleaning glasses I use to keep my DS as clean as possible. Worst comes to worst it'll just fuck the disc up worse lol.

I also realised the part that's fucking up is a section leading to a cutscene, that may be related.

If you bought it from a place that removes the games from the cases (is there any that don't) you might be able to get them to swap it over for a new copy. Just say that you only got around to playing it and the game froze, when you pulled it out there were two scuff marks, since you are ultra-careful had only removed it the once you think it may have happened in the shop. Most places are more than happy to swap for the same game (I had to do it once because my copy of F-Zero for GC froze whenever you finished the final race of a GP).

Most EB Games will resurface disks if you're willing to pay. Some will even do it for free if you got the game there and they recognize you, or if you have a receipt.