Jay-Z may be leaving Def Jam

Driver The Naniwa

Rapper Jay-Z is in negotiations to vacate his President position at Def Jam, in order to join Def Jam co-founder Rick Rubin at Columbia.

Rubin left Warner Music Group in May for an executive position working alongside Chairman Steve Barnett.

Rubin, who founded Def Jam in 1982 and later partnered with Hip-Hop mogul Russell Simmons in a New York University dorm room to launch one of the most influential record labels in history, is forming a super group of A&R's and executives.

According to The New York Daily News, Jay-Z may leave Def Jam to join the team.

One of the reasons for the defection is reportedly the February creation of Island Records Urban Music Group, which is run by Atlanta mogul Jermaine Dupri.

Jay-Z's girlfriend Beyonce is also an artist on the Columbia imprint, while Jay-Z and Rubin have collaborated successfully in the past, as Rubin produced Jay-Z's hit single "99 Problems" from his 2003 release The Black Album.

According to The New York Daily News, Jay-Z will also be leaving Island Def Jam owning his entire catalog.

Other reports have surfaced that Jay-Z and Beyonce are in negotiations with Apple's iTunes to create a digital record label.

Currently, Jay-Z is experiencing unprecedented success with 19-year-old Rhianna, an artist he signed to Def Jam and has championed since 2004.

Rhianna's single "Umbrella" featuring Jay-Z is the longest running UK number one single in a decade, since Wet Wet Wet topped the charts with their 1994 hit "Love Is All Around."

Wow, doesn't the record industry know that failure and Jermaine Dupri go together like Jay-Z and Beyonce? In fact, after how bad 20 Y.O. did for Janet Jackson and his protege J-Kwon turning into the silliest one-hit wonder in recent memory, Dupri and failure are practically one and the same.

EDIT: And if Jigga takes anything with him, expect him to try to run with Rihanna and maybe The Roots, because Jay-Z will bankroll a new Roots album regardless of blech sales.

Edited by ROC

When exactly did JD become associated with failure? Going back to the Kris Kross days, dude's done nothing but made money. Da Brat, Bow Wow, Jagged Edge. He worked on Usher's Confessions album, the top album of 2004. He worked on Mariah Carey's Emancipation album, the top album of 2005. Even Janet's 20 Y.O. album at least went gold, which was disappointing because it's Janet, but still quite respectable in the industry. You can laugh at the ultimate success of J-Kwon and Dem Franchise Boyz, but both had chart topping singles that made good money. Even this year, he put in work on the new Bone Thugs album, including the Lil L.O.V.E. track that peaked at #17 on the billboard charts. There's a reason why his name is one of the three being discussed to replace Jay-Z if Jigga does leave.

A digital iTunes record label too? Really?

How dumb is that. I mean it only appeals to teens, that actually have iTunes and credit cards. Yeah, adults can get it easy on iTunes, but the majority of people who listen to Jigga are, what I'm estimating 16-24. Somebody can't go out and get a copy of a new CD, they would have to sign on and download it, so it's on their computer, but not on a hard CD copy?

And yeah, JD makes bank. He doesn't really fail, he just takes chances. Yeah, J-Kwon didn't do all that well, and DFB isn't all that good. And Janet's CD didn't go platinum. So what? He's going to keep trying new things. And supposedly J-Kwon's coming out with a sophomore album Louisville Slugger. I'll give it a listen to. Why not?

A digital iTunes record label too? Really?

How dumb is that. I mean it only appeals to teens, that actually have iTunes and credit cards. Yeah, adults can get it easy on iTunes, but the majority of people who listen to Jigga are, what I'm estimating 16-24. Somebody can't go out and get a copy of a new CD, they would have to sign on and download it, so it's on their computer, but not on a hard CD copy?

And yeah, JD makes bank. He doesn't really fail, he just takes chances. Yeah, J-Kwon didn't do all that well, and DFB isn't all that good. And Janet's CD didn't go platinum. So what? He's going to keep trying new things. And supposedly J-Kwon's coming out with a sophomore album Louisville Slugger. I'll give it a listen to. Why not?

...Yeah, allegedly according to Wiki, one of the leaked tracks features Joel of Good Charlotte and another features Andy Milonakis...I hope for his sake, that's not true because...what a horrid new album that would be. (That is if it gets released any time soon. The album's been pushed back for a while now.)

And Jermaine's not a total failure sales-wise, but I certainly can't think of anything from him that's really pushed the genre of rap the same way Jigga has. Now, I can't say Jay-Z's done anything vastly better in his tenure as Def Jam's leader, but I honestly think Rihanna, Lady Sovereign, The Roots, and Nas is a tad bit better to run with then Dem Franchize Boyz, Bow Wow, Usher, and J-Kwon.

...Yeah, allegedly according to Wiki, one of the leaked tracks features Joel of Good Charlotte and another features Andy Milonakis...I hope for his sake, that's not true because...what a horrid new album that would be. (That is if it gets released any time soon. The album's been pushed back for a while now.)

And Jermaine's not a total failure sales-wise, but I certainly can't think of anything from him that's really pushed the genre of rap the same way Jigga has. Now, I can't say Jay-Z's done anything vastly better in his tenure as Def Jam's leader, but I honestly think Rihanna, Lady Sovereign, The Roots, and Nas is a tad bit better to run with then Dem Franchize Boyz, Bow Wow, Usher, and J-Kwon.

Nas alone is better than Dem Franchize Boyz, Bow Wow, Usher, and J-Kwon combined IMO. I mean yeah JD doesn't push rap music like Jigga has and still does. But still, you have to give credit, for doing his part.

Rick Ross alone is better than DFB, Bow Wow, Usher, and J-Kwon combined IMO. And I don't really like Ross anyway. I bet he sells better too.

Update:

Jay-Z disappointed millions, when a scheduled interview with Hot 97's Angie Martinez was cancelled for personal reasons yesterday (July 27).

The interview was to address a number of matters surrounding the mogul, including recent rumors of his departure from Def Jam.

The rapper and Martinez did get on the phone for a few moments to reschedule and answer a few questions.

After Martinez queried him, Jay-Z said that he'd be at his Def Jam post next week, sidestepping the notion that he was exiting his presidential position at the label.

"If they don't kick me out the building [i will be there next week]," Jay-Z said to Angie Martinez.

She also asked him if he was planning the rumored move to Columbia.

"I'm always looking at the next move," he said and stated that he liked his job at the label.

Additionally, Jay-Z shunned the gossip that he was close to leaving Def Jam.

"I'm nowhere near that. That's the papers, they are ahead of me," he quipped about rumors of his departure.

The interview was rescheduled for Friday August 3 on Hot 97.