D&D MSN...

Ruki

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's interest for a forum one, we could run a mini-game in Forum Games or something. I've got school coming up next week and I won't be online regularly enough to play MSN-style, but I know I can be on enough to make a few posts to get in a game.

It would take forever through forum, but it is better than nothing, right?

Obviously we couldn't have everyone in here participate in it, since that would just be one huge cluster fuck.

We'd need a DM and 4-5 people.

• 4 weeks later...

Any development on this? I'm still keen on running a forum game if anybody is interested. They are slow, but it's perhaps possible to organise an MSN chat session once a week or so to pick up the pace if need be.

Idk if I'm late, but I'd be really interested in this, I've been playing D&D for a couple of years, and I'm really into the game, the only problems is that now I rarely have time to gather with my friends and play. So if this idea goes on, i'm definetly in! I also think that a forum kind of thing would be easier that on msn... but I could try both. My msn is fito_ax@hotmail.com ...

Well people, I'm bored, and after seeing Resident Evil Extinction I have been tempted to make a D&D system revolving around zombies. Another thing that added to this was my buddy who taught me to play DnD made his own system....Final Fantasy D&D, really cool.

So right now, I'm trying to think of elements to add, how to add them, skills, weapons, and anything else really that would make the game fun.

First off, the attributes....Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Int, and Cha......I'm thinking of instead of rolling stats that I'd give people 61 points to put in there, so they can have one above average stat if they put 10's for everything, just so it is more realistic. But also...I don't really want a charisma attribute, not fully sure how that'd work out. So I was maybe thinking of switching it out with a sanity/confidence attribute or something of the like.

So yes, if anyone has any idea for skills, weapons, items, monsters or anything really...please, help me out here.

Sanity seems so badass, but way too many people are going to put nothing in it, use those 10 points to make themselves more "badass" and just accept the ramifications of being loons.

How about....like, the immune system, which basically just says how susceptible they are to the zombie infection (among any other biological weaponry floating about) and how fast it sets in? It could turn some loser with no stats whatsoever into a team leader solely because he can spend more time out there without becoming a zombie (and hell, if he does become one he's a pushover, no big loss). You could put in a confidence stat, of course, and have it tie in to circumstances (obviously success would raise it but fucking up your assignment and watching 4 teammates get devoured would ruin it) with it being a boon/bane "bonus" roll (where you get it added to your roll, so if you're confident you can get like +3, but if you aren't you could get a -3 or something like that)

I say make us roll! It adds randomness and it'll make it a bit more interesting from a character creation standpoint rather than just being able to streamline ourselves into exactly what we want to (eventually) be able to do.

Boring: "Oh there's zombies, and look a full group of ready-trained combat people who have planned every single ability they have! What luck!"

Exciting: "Holy dog shit, zombies! What have we got, a mother of four, a former world chess champion, a raging homophobic pastor....and for supplies, we've got two bottles of glue, a tube of toothpaste and an ice cream bar! Spiffy!"

As for monsters or anything, there's a stockpile of nearly 18,000 character names available /forum/index.php?act=Members">here

And did we ever get that forum made :shifty:

You are my hero, did you know that?

I was thinking that every time a character is bit by a zombie that maybe they could roll a percentile, and should it reach 100% they are fully infected. And after a short time, dead.

But maybe a immunity stat could be used to reduce it somewhat....hmm.....but yay for ideas already.

Zombies should work outside of the traditional D&D hit point system. Have them have hit points, but so that they only die completely if they receive enough damage from a single attack (say, 8-10 points worth) which would constitute a "head shot" and destroy the thing's brain. Otherwise you could hack away at the zombie for as long as you want to and you'd only succeed in dismembering and slashing it to bits without actually killing it. Of course, a zombie split in half and without its arms is pretty useless, but they still present a threat on some level.

Zombies should work outside of the traditional D&D hit point system. Have them have hit points, but so that they only die completely if they receive enough damage from a single attack (say, 8-10 points worth) which would constitute a "head shot" and destroy the thing's brain. Otherwise you could hack away at the zombie for as long as you want to and you'd only succeed in dismembering and slashing it to bits without actually killing it. Of course, a zombie split in half and without its arms is pretty useless, but they still present a threat on some level.

Yeah, if you trip over them.

I didn't even think of this, thanks! I love that idea.

I came up with some weapons....mostly just 1d4, 1d6, ect....I couldn't really think of any weapons that'd use 2d6, or multipul dice.

As for the skills, I'm not sure how many points should be "Average person" and how many points to start off with. Or how much they'd affect the attacks and such. But yes, here are the skills I've come up with thus far....

-Melee

-Ranged

-Explosives

-Lock pick

-Driving

-Hide

-Search

-Balance

-Hearing

-Sight

-Trap Find

-Trap disarm

-Throw

-Haggle

-Repair

-Healing

-Cooking

-Stealth

-Jump

-Communicate

-Fall

-Craft

-Climb

-Run

-Engeneering

-Tech.

-Close Quarters Combat

-Swim

-Carry

-??? (would affect special abilities, if there would be any mutation when infected)

I had the amusing idea for a caveman D&D game. I'm not making up rules for it, but it's something I'll store away for the future.

And you could combine a lot of those skills together:

Melee and CQC, for one.

Stealth, search, hide, hearing and sight could all be combined into one that works for all of them...I mean, if you're good at hiding you'd naturally be good at finding hiding places, which would combine sight, search & hide; stealth would be you recognizing that shadows > light and hearing just fits in nicely enough with the "Can you sense stuff around you?" mantra of the grouping.

Trap find & trap disarm could probably combine with a "Trap set" skill and become just plain old traps.

Repair, craft, engineering and tech could probably combine together. Possibly throw in explosives as well.

Jump, fall and climb should combine together. With them separate it would be theoretically possible to jump 3 feet in the air but take damage from anything over a 1.4 foot drop...

Run, balance and swim could combine into an Athletics (and you could put the jump/climb/fall hybrid in as well)

With those combinations you'd be left with:

-Melee/CQC

-Ranged

-Lock pick

-Driving

-Hide/Search/Hearing/Sight/Stealth (Awareness?)

-Traps

-Haggle

-Healing

-Cooking

-Communicate

-Repair/Craft/Engineering/Tech/Explosives (Intelligence? Machine awareness?)

-Throw/Balance/Run/Swim/Jump/Climb/Fall (Athletics)

-Carry

-??? (would affect special abilities, if there would be any mutation when infected)

More or less combinations are possible, but it depends on the setting, which would dictate the possible supplies available (obviously cavemen v. zombies wouldn't need any lock picks or driving or explosives, and even range attacks would be severely weakened; superfuturistic society v. zombies would need like teleporters and flying cars and whatnot, etc.)

What is the setting, anyway?