2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Darren Dreger is reporting that Cliff Fletcher asked Mats what teams he'd be okay being traded to.

On a related note, I'm planning on waking up at 8 AM Tuesday just to see what TSN does if deadline day turns out to be another bust.

And I pity the fool who watches trade deadline coverage on any other network! (Really, even you foreigners will be able to see the TSN coverage on the NHL Network)

Edited by Mr. T

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think our Leafs fans are just waiting for something to happen.

TSN comes in fuzzy as shit on my tv, so I might end up watching Deadline coverage on the Score. I haven't decided yet... but when was the last trade deadline bust? Last year we had 25 deals on deadline day. That's more than usual.

Edited by Comrade Greeting Card

Last I checked Buffalo beat Toronto last night. To think about a month ago both teams were tied and near the bottom of the east. Buffalo is now tied for 6th and Toronto is still in 14th. Ive noticed that all the Leaf fans on this board have not posted much lately. Did anyone else see the empty seats at the acc last night. I have never seen that many on a game night.

I read on TSN the other day that Kaberle is refusing to waive the no-trade clause. So the Leafs will have him until Kaberle becomes unhappy, or his contract expires. As far as the deadline goes, I'll be at work all day, so I will keep up the TSN page up all day. Or I could go upstairs, yay for working in a sports radio station.

Last I checked Buffalo beat Toronto last night. To think about a month ago both teams were tied and near the bottom of the east. Buffalo is now tied for 6th and Toronto is still in 14th. Ive noticed that all the Leaf fans on this board have not posted much lately. Did anyone else see the empty seats at the acc last night. I have never seen that many on a game night.

As of right now, no Southeast Division team would be in the playoffs if the Division winner didn't get an automatic spot in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd seed.

That's absolutely fucking retarded and needs to be addressed.

You could argue that it's because it's too competitive, but it isn't. None of the Southeast Division teams deserve that spot more than the New York Islanders, who by the way, would be in 8th place in the East if Carolina didn't squeak in because they lead a shitty division.

As of right now, no Southeast Division team would be in the playoffs if the Division winner didn't get an automatic spot in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd seed.

That's absolutely fucking retarded and needs to be addressed.

You could argue that it's because it's too competitive, but it isn't. None of the Southeast Division teams deserve that spot more than the New York Islanders, who by the way, would be in 8th place in the East if Carolina didn't squeak in because they lead a shitty division.

NHL Network not available in UK. Also, I heard Fletcher agreed with the Flyers to trade Kaberle for Jeff Center and an undisclosed pick, but forgot to ask Kabs about waiving his no-trade clause. Kaberle refused, trade broke down.

I pity the fool who thinks Patrick Roy should have his number retired as a Hab! Y'all hated the man for demanding a trade, ending up with the former Nordiques, and leading them to a Cup and one of the best hockey dynasties of all time!

We hated the coaching and management staff for it, and we were angry at him for a time yes. But When the winningest goalie of all-time played half his career and forged his name into legendary status in your city, and is probably the modern day folk hero for les quebecoise(or at least was, when he played here), shit, I go to the rinks around here, watch any game at any level and one of the two goalies will be wearing the #33. Roy absolutely deserves to have his #33 retired in Montreal, it only makes sense and I pity the gimmick poster who clearly is basing his opinion on stupidity.

Shit, Richard and the Canadiens organization had a huge falling out after his retirement, should we take down his #9 because he went and coached the Nordiques?

So instead of helping out the team that's done so much for him by facilitating a trade that would benefit their team for years to come... Mats Sundin has decided that he might retire next year, and thus, wants to retire a Maple Leaf. Meaning, either he signs on to play next year and they look at what could have been had they traded him and then signed him in the off season... or he retires and an already weak team loses their best player for absolutely nothing.

I understand that he wants to be loyal to the team and himself... but he could have really helped them out by facilitating a trade.

Now watch them play the rest of the season like they played the other night on CBC and sneak into the playoffs... :shifty:

Seriously though... floodgates should be open now. Should be a big deal Monday, and at least half a dozen before the clock strikes Midnight to signal Tuesday morning.

I've seen people bitching at someone who held that exact same opinion by claiming that Sundin's dedicated to making this team a winner, but by refusing to leave he's just hurt any potential we might have had. Hooray, he stayed on, whoop-de-doo. Now he either retires or he doesn't re-sign and we get fuck all. Thanks Mats. And thanks Kabs as well. Neither one of you could take a hit for the team and go somewhere you actually had a chance of succeeding.

I hope this doesn't mean he is going to retire.

Despite this move, I still see Sundin as my favourite player of all time. I am kind of pleased actually that he is going to stay. And Fletcher still has other deals to make. Rumours are floating that McCabe is willing to waive his clause to go to New York (either) and their is some interest from the Rangers and Islanders. Tucker and Kaberle are both not waiving their clauses though.

Any Leafs "fan" that is mad at Sundin for not waiving his no trade clause can go shove something large up their ass and kill themselves because they make me sick. He owes us nothing. We owe him everything. Fuck the 14 year-olds that are whining about not getting draft picks for him.

I wouldn't mind getting picks and seeing him win the Cup, but let Mats do what Mats wants to do.

I pity the fool who don't understand that if Sundin wants to do what's best for the Leafs, he'll waive his clause - but if the Leafs want to do what's best for the Leafs, they won't give out so many no-trade clauses in the first place!

Fact is, Sundin would rather finish his career in Toronto than win a Cup, and he has the means to do so, so what's stopping him?

Although here's the real question - hypothetically, Mats gets traded, wins the Cup, and decides to bring it to Toronto for his 24 hours and put it on public display somewhere. Is he a hero or a sellout?

Edited by Mr. T

If he left, won the cup, and brought it back, the Leafs fans would have nothing but praise for him... because not only would he have done something for himself that the Leafs won't be able to do before he retires, but he'll have helped the team out exponentially by facilitating a trade that was likely to bring over one or two young roster players and a couple of draft picks.

I respect his decision to stay, but like I said, if he's going to retire, he's leaving a team that needs him now more than ever, simply because he decided not to leave. If he leaves the Leafs by retiring at the end of the season, next year's team is going to be severely worse than this year's.

Mats Sundin is doing what he thinks is right for Mats Sundin, and that's great. I respect that. I just don't think he should be using loyalty as an excuse, because a loyal soldier would have bit the bullet for the long term health of his squad.