2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You still don't get it, do you Toey? Unless the Leafs have the greatest offseason ever, they likely won't make the playoffs next year - and if they do, they'll be another first-round exit.

They just don't have the talent of a true top-flight team. Look at the Avalanche during their glory days. Their second Cup team had Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, Deadmarsh, Foote, Bourque, Blake, and Roy - and during the previous few years, they'd had names like Owen Nolan, Theo Fleury, Claude Lemieux, Sandis Ozolinsh...then through the whole dynasty stretch, they had dozens of guys like Stephane Yelle, Jon Klemm, Mike Keane...guys who could be second-liners on almost any other team. And even their fourth-liners and reserves were bona fide NHL-level players.

Despite what the Toronto media says any time we get a Raycroft, a Blake, a Kubina...they don't have anywhere near that level of talent, and they haven't at any point in our lifetimes.

I am not saying we will get the Stanley Cup next season or anything to that level. I am saying that with smart buys we can make the playoffs. Look at Raycroft's stats this year - he was atrocious. If we had a back-up that could improve on Raycroft's record by just two wins, we would be in a better position right now and still competing for a playoff spot. And at this point, just getting into the playoffs would make me happy.

The teams in the Eastern Conference are so close. You don't need to have a stacked team like the Avalanche did (when there was no salary cap) to create a playoff team. The Leafs will have a good spot in the draft this year and with JFJ gone, they will be keeping that pick. They can get some quality players to start the ball rolling while picking up some decent free agents who will bring some speed to the club and help them at least be competitive with most of the teams in the East. Only one or two teams really stand out in the Conference as superior anyways.

And what if the Maple Leafs managed to pull a move similar to the Flyers, making a move for some young RFAs? Not only would they be improving, but they would also be getting younger.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are not totally fucked up the ass right now. They aren't a good team, but with the salary cap now in place teams cannot hold onto assets. That means that there will be good players available and that the Maple Leafs will be able to at least put together a competitive team while they start to develop the core of the team in the AHL.

Jiri Tlusty has shown brief flashes of what he may be offering to this team

:lmao:

I swear I didn't do that on purpose.

Edited by Toe

As much as I love Mats Sundin, I really think it's his time to move on.

Mats is the leader on that team, but man, too much of the load gets put on his shoulders. It seems like the team expects Mats to be "that guy" way too often. They aren't a high caliber team in the first place, but with Mats out of the line up, you notice the rest of the team plays better. They work harder to pick up the slack, they work as a team, there is no one guy expected to carry the heavy load. Mats is the star, but without him is when the team really becomes the cohessive unit. I mean, just cutting out Mats isn't the answer. Obviously no matter how hard they work they aren't going to set fires as is, but it's a great way to start rebuilding this team. As long as Mats is a Leaf, there is going to be that stigma that he is THE guy, he is THE team, the Leafs need Mats to succeed. Get rid of that. This should be the start of new foundation, find new leaders, new stars, new production players. As much I hate to say it, for the better of the team's future, let's close the book on the Mats Sundin era.

Like MPH said, you shouldn't be expecting this team to make the playoffs next year anyways, with or without Mats. The message has been clear, this team is going to get overhauled, any fan who is going into next season expecting a quick fix needs to get their ass in check. The era of quick offseason fixes is over (I hope). The Leafs need a reason, a spark, something to get people realize things are going to change. They need to cut the safety net and work their way back up with something new.

That's #1 on a long list of offseason chores, IMO.

EDIT: I spent a longer time editing that over and over again then I did to write it.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Personally, I'd rather cheer for a team that "realistically could win the Cup" then one where "should make the playoffs" is deemed a success.

I believe it's possible to play for the playoffs while building the team to reach the point where you are contending for the Stanley Cup. Getting the first pick in the draft isn't a surefire way to rebuild. What works is scouting properly and drafting wisely, then developing the talent. The Leafs can do that with Justin Pogge, Nikolai Kulemin and Jiri Tlusty and whomever they draft in the next few years.

It is also possible to use free agency (unrestricted and restricted) to pick up players who are still young but are also legitimate NHL players. You don't have to suck ass and die in last place to rebuild a team.

You can do all this and have a team that places in sixth place while also allowing your draft picks to develop in the minors. Then when they are ready, they can give your team the boost they need to compete for the division lead.

One recent example - Montreal. They have competed for the final playoff spot in the previous two seasons, and this season have finally seen some young players develop and join the NHL club. This has pushed them from a team competing for 6th to 8th spot to a team that could finish first in the East which would make them a contender for the Stanley Cup.

Edited by Toe

So it's Buffalo friday, Toronto saturday, Ottawa tues, then Buffalo and Toronto again.

We need to beat Ottawa again. and we'll probably take 3 of 4 aganst Toronto and split with Buffalo. If we could beat Ottawa again that would give us 7 more points out of a possible 10 that remain. Not unrealistic with the way Montreal's played lately. We'd have a nice round total of 103 points to end the season.

I'm drunk and I just spanked my friend 10-1 in NHL who thought it would be funny to be Boston when I picked Toronto...and I still feel like shit.

EDIT: and Basha cheap shots me and signs offline. Fuddle Duddle.

Edited by Clawson

Delusional??

For the record, even as one-eyed Avalanche as I am, I'm banking on no higher than 6th. And I could see us missing the playoffs again.

Sounds accurate to me.

Dragsy had us barely in the playoffs as well. In addition to:

there's a glut of goaltending at Montreal and LA to trade for. Huet maybe?

calling the Huet trade at the beginning of the season.

We're the least delusional fans you can find!

As opposed to a certain leafs fan picturing in his mind how the leafs would play this season, and thirty pages into the thread...them finally achieving it :P

I've no delusions of us making any kind of a cup run. Still, I'd like to think we could avoid a sweep, particularly against the Red Wings, maybe rekindle the feud a bit.

And I did agree with Allan Muir at the beginning of the season on the posibility of an Avs/Rangers final, but I had the sense to give up on that about three weeks into the season :P

People are already talking about what the future holds for Mats Sundin. Will he retire? Will he return to the Leafs? Will he return to a different team?

I hope Mats returns. He is my favourite player and is still an elite level hockey player. The Leafs do need him - unless some sort of miracle happens, he will still be arguably the best player they have. I would rather see him retire then join another NHL club though. After hearing how much he loves the team and the city for so long, seeing him join another NHL franchise would probably turn me off of hockey. It would feel like a stab in the back. I know that is selfish, but that is how I feel.

I hope Washington or Buffalo can catch Boston and get into the playoffs. Either team would be better then the boring Bruins. Just like the last two seasons, even though my team is out I will still try to watch as many games as possible in the playoffs. If Edmonton can squeeze into the Western playoff picture, I will root for them. In the East, every team pisses me off but I'll cheer for whatever team faces the Senators in the first round.

Edited by Toe