2007/2008 Hockey Thread

Now that Ovie's gone it's going to be one massive Crosby boner for the rest of the playoffs. God I hope the pens get swept so I don't have to hear about him.

Not from me. It seems like Sid the Kid has been a superstar in Canada for like a decade already, I was sick of the guy before he was even drafted.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philly's young studs more than Pittsburgh's. Mike Richards is Jesus.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Montreal vs. Philadelphia

I see the Canadiens winning this series, although it won't be easy. The Flyers are coming off an emotional series and I think will carry the momentum from the overtime win into the series. The Canadiens are the better team, but the Flyers will probably take the series to six or seven games.

Pittsburgh vs. New York

I like the Rangers a lot more then I do the Penguins. I think the Rangers have better depth up front and better goaltending with King Henrik in goal. If the young Penguins can continue to roll, they have a chance, but I like the team the Rangers are bringing more. I am picking the Rangers to move on.

Detroit vs. Colorado

This is my pick for the best series in round two. Colorado may have placed lower then Detroit in the regular season, but they missed a lot of people due to injury and played in a more competitive division. Both teams have have great depth up front and solid defence. Lidstrom is a stud, but Adam Foote is a top level shut down defender come playoff time. I think Osgood and Theodore are equal in terms of goaltending. Hopefully the rivalry comes back with this series - I am picking Colorado in 7 games with Darren McCarty punching out at least one Colorado player.

San Jose vs. Dallas

I don't think Dallas will be as banged up as San Jose and I think Dallas is just better at everything except scoring goals. I believe that Marty Turco is just as good as Nabokov and I am taking the Dallas Stars to move on.

Don't hold me to this, but I am going to go out and call a New York Rangers - Colorado Avalanche final. By saying this, I have probably doomed both teams to being swept.

Edited by Toe

Time to update predictions I think.

Montreal vs. Philadelphia

Pittsburgh vs. New York

Detroit vs. Colorado

San Jose vs. Dallas

----------------------------------

Montreal vs. New York

San Jose vs. Colorado

----------------------------------

San Jose vs. New York

My predictions:

Colorado d. Detroit in 6 games.

San Jose d. Dallas in 5 games.

Montreal d. Philadelphia in 6 games.

Pittsburgh d. New York in 7 games.

Also... Canada blows out Russia 8-0 to win the World Under-18 Championships. We fucking rule!

At the beginning of the season I had a feeling about Avs/Rangers in the final. Then it all went to shit for Colorado, but we've pulled it back a bit, and I think we have a better chance of beating Detroit due to pretty much exactly what Toe said. Not sure I can see the Rangers beating the Penguins, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
Now that Ovie's gone it's going to be one massive Crosby boner for the rest of the playoffs. God I hope the pens get swept so I don't have to hear about him.

Not from me. It seems like Sid the Kid has been a superstar in Canada for like a decade already, I was sick of the guy before he was even drafted.

I'm looking forward to seeing Philly's young studs more than Pittsburgh's. Mike Richards is Jesus.

He was the captain and top star on our last Memorial Cup team. Coincidentally, this is the first year since then we've been favourites in that arena, but Justin Azevedo/Mike Duco/Nick Spaling don't seem as awe-inspiring as Richards & Co. did.

Philly needs to make the series uncomfortable as possible for the Habs right off the drop off the puck. Just take the ice right away from them up, rough them up. I don't know if Montreal has the character or durability to survive a physical seven game grinder of a second round series and beyond. This series is really up in the air for me, I think every game is going to be decided by which team is going to set the pace to play their type of game the quickest. If Philly can keep it tight, rough, and keep it man to man, they've got the talent to find the net and finish it off. But if Montreal comes out running and gunning, getting odd man rushes, take advantage of the PP, they have too much speed and killer instinct to not continually put the puck past Biron.

I like New York against the Pens. They are playing with such confidence coming out of the last round, just plain out classing a tough New Jersey team and owning Martin Brodeur's property. I think the best is really yet to come too, now that they have this young, hot Pens team in front of them, I think you are going to see the skilled playoff vets go that much harder. It doesn't hurt that you have arguably the best goalie in the league backing you up either.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Random playoff memory, did anybody else think it was awesome when Georges Laraque used to take the ice in Edmonton, they used play "Stop the Rock", and the crowd used to chant "Stop, Laraque, Can't Stop Laraque"? They should really be doing that in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure they did that during the regular season, but my Oilers' experiences are almost all playoff ones.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

So no Burkie for now. Do they go out and get a guy like Doug Armstrong, who is easily the next hottest GM commodity now that Burke is staying put for next year? Or do you think it's worth enough for the Leafs to wait until next season and continue with the interim GM bonanza?

I'm on the fence really. I hate the idea of waiting a whole other season before a GM with a plan in place can come in and take over, but at the same time, what is there to do right now besides take out the trash and tank to the bottom? People probably want their man of action in now, and if that's the case, Doug Armstrong did a hell of a job in Dallas. Simply looking past him and setting sights on Burke is unfair, because Armstrong would be a tremendous choice. Besides, it already sounds like fans believe Brian Burke is the surefire piece of the puzzle that is going to turn things around. Don't worry, we got Brian Burke coming in to clean up the mess. He's got the hands of hockey Gods! He might even solve the homeless and weapon violence problems in the city too!

EDIT: This is assuming Armstrong even wants to go to the Leafs. Most GM's have wet dreams about being the guy that turns the ship around in Toronto and wins a cup, but who has the balls and tolerance to deal with this team, it's ownership, and the city is another thing. I'm sure the money would help.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy