2007/2008 Hockey Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm not particularly invested in either team, but that 3rd overtime period was fun to watch. I picked San Jose to win the series, but I think Dallas against Detroit would be much more interesting, so I'm pulling for the Stars to put an end to this.

Besides... Turco deserves it. It's ridiculous how much he's done for that team in the post-season without much help up front.

Also, Brad Richards is a fucking monster. If he's not involved in the winning goal, then it'll probably come from the stick of a Shark.

TSN is reporting that Paul Maurice has been fired as head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I really liked Paul. I think he got a lot out of a team last season that suffered a lot of injuries and at least had them playing exciting hockey. I hope he can get another coaching job soon.

Paul Maurice was good as gone anyways. I think it's better they got the firing out of the way now, which I wouldn't be surprised if it was Maurice himself that went and said "let me out now so I can attempt to have a job by summers end". In terms of personal integrity as well, Paul Maurice is bright and intelligent person, I'm sure he'd much rather get this done, than be strung along until there is a new GM, then have that GM fire him and make him look like a puzzle piece that doesn't fit anywhere and is destined to be thrown out.

If you listen to word on the street, they are still waiting for somebody from Detroit to wrap up the post season before they start interviewing, whether it's Holland or Jim Nill, but chances are it's Holland they are hoping to talk to. Nill is just as qualified as JFJ was and Ken Holland is a pipe dream. He's got the best GM job in the league, surrounded by such a well oiled machine, inside and out, with scouts in Europe that can find talent that is apparent hidden in a cave from the rest of the league, and he's going to come to this mess in Toronto?

BTW, the Cliff Fletcher conference is at 3pm, so in half an hour.... Wonder what it'll be about... Fabian Brunstrom? Maybe more condos for MLSE, who knows.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Another rumour is that the Tampa Bay sale is done, and that the new owner is going to dump Feaster and Tortorella. The Leafs would then pick them both up as GM and Head Coach because they have the Stanley Cup experience between them. Not my favourite option, but it wouldn't be awful either.