Official 2007 NCAA Football Season

ACCBiggz

The longest tournament in sports begins. It takes around 4 months to complete and if you lose you are pretty much out of the race most of the time. It's the NCAA D-1 Football season and it begins tonight.

Coaches Poll (Counts in BCS)

1. USC (45)

2. LSU (4)

3. Florida (9)

4. Texas

5. Michigan (2)

6. West Virginia

7. Wisconsin

8. Oklahoma

9. Virginia Tech

10. Ohio State

11. Louisville

12. California

13. Georgia

14. Auburn

15. Tennessee

16. Rutgers

17. UCLA

18. Penn State

19. Nebraska

20. Arkansas

21. Florida State

22. TCU

23. Boise State

24. Hawaii

25. Texas A&M

I've made it known for my displeasure with pre-season polls as they accomplish nothing as you haven't seen the teams perform yet. With that said let's go to conference predictions.

Atlantic Coast Conference

Boston College

Clemson University

Duke

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Maryland

Miami

North Carolina

North Carolina State

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

The ACC is wide open again this year with the front runner being Virginia Tech. There were a lot of coaching changes that make this a very well coached conference and could be a powerhouse conference in a few seasons. Outside of Virginia Tech I think the best chance for winning the conference goes to Clemson and Florida State. Both have issues at quarterback and I think whoever gets more consistent play at that position will be in a position to win the conference. Florida State is my sleeper team for the entire NCAA this season, they play a brutal schedule, but there isn't a game on the schedule where there is a for sure loss. If Jimbo Fisher can get consistent play from the QB position and new OL coach Rick Trickett and get the line to hold their blocks the Noles could make some noise.

ACC Champion: Virginia Tech

Big East Conference

Cincinnati

Connecticut

Louisville

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

South Florida

Syracuse

West Virginia

Many believe this is a three team race between Louisville, Rutgers, and West Virginia. But I'll be the first to tell you that you do not want to sleep on South Florida. They have been stealing recruits from the big three Florida schools and put a lot of speed on the field and have their QB with a year of experience under his belt. However I think this will really boil down to Louisville vs. West Virginia. I don't think Rutgers will be able to put on a run like they did last year while Louisville and WVU have national championship aspirations. If both teams can survive against Rutgers and South Florida I think the winner of this game will be undefeated and ready for a chance at the national championship.

Big East Champion: West Virginia

Big Ten Conference

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Northwestern

Ohio State

Pennsylvania State

Purdue

Wisconsin

The Big Ten always provides some of the best in conference games. Michigan returns the core of their offense, but will need to replace playmakers on defense. Wisconsin is the hot pick by many of the experts as they return the majority of their team as well. However, don't sleep on the Buckeyes. They open the season against some lesser schools that will give their offense time to gel and get ready for the season. Mcihigan State should also be a surprise in the conference as a potential upset school that could ruin the season of some of the upper tier schools. I think it comes down to the meeting of Michigan and Wisconsin. The winner of that game will probably walk away winner of the conference.

Big Ten Champion: Michigan

Big Twelve Conference

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

The Big 12 boils down to Texas and Oklahoma. It's really that simple. The winner of that probably goes on to meet Nebraska or Missouri in the championship game. Texas has the edge because of Colt McCoy while Oklahoma battles with a new QB. I don't think any team in the conference gets out of here without a loss on their record. Like the years previous it comes down to Texas and Oklahoma.

Big Twelve Champion: Texas

Pacific Ten Conference

Arizona

Arizona State

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

Southern California

Washington

Washington State

USC is the easy choice here. USC is loaded with talent and the number one team in the country right now. They get UCLA at home, as well as Oregon State. I don't see USC losing those two games, or any game in conference. But let me be the first to say it right here... USC will lose to Nebraska!

Pacific Ten Champion: Southern California

Southeastern Conference

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbilt

Alabama

Arkansas

Auburn University

Louisiana State

Mississippi

Mississippi State

The SEC is the best conference in college football. The defending national champions replace the starting QB and have to replace the core of the defense. However they still have a lot of playmakers. The other hot choice from experts is LSU. Sure they have a lot of talent and an outstanding defense, but they replace the QB too. Alabama may shock a lot of people as Shula left the cubbard full for Saban. However, I don't think anyone makes it out unscathed. I think you'll probably see the likely suspects in the title game again.

Southeastern Conference Champion: Louisiana State

So what does that leave for the national championship prediction? Well, you saw I predicted an early loss for USC against Nebraska, and that I had WVU undefeated. The other undefeated I have is Michigan. This comes down to the voters having an USC/Notre Dame complex where they'll overrank them or do something stupid, but with WVU and Michigan the only two undefeateds I find it hard to have them outside of the national title game.

BCS National Championship: Michigan d. West Virginia

Rose Bowl: USC d. Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: LSU d. Virginia Tech

Fiesta Bowl: Texas d. Hawaii

Orange Bowl: Florida d. Louisville

Note: I guessed at bowl placements and a couple of the at-large teams. But with the new mid-major BCS rule I think Hawaii will make it as they have an excellent shot of going undefeated or at least being ranked somewhat high at the end of the season giving them a chance to make it and putting potential Heisman winner Colt Brennen in the national spotlight. Louisville will probably make it as an at-large with one loss, and the only other one I had a hard time thinking of was Florida. Florida may not be there as there could be another at-large team there like an Oklahoma, it was a pure guess. But there you have my bold prediction for the national championship, of course all this hinges on USC being upset by Nebraska... :shifty:

Yea, I stole Biggz format.

Atlantic Coast Conference

Boston College

Clemson University

Duke

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Maryland

Miami

North Carolina

North Carolina State

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

Virginia Tech's the powerhouse here and the usual candidates will be there: Miami, Florida State, Clemson. But the sleeper pick of them all is going to be Georgia Tech, who should finally have a quarterback with some accuracy and they should be able to move the ball well, even after losing Calvin Johnson. That said, I think they end up being the runner up.

ACC Champion: Virginia Tech

Big East Conference

Cincinnati

Connecticut

Louisville

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

South Florida

Syracuse

West Virginia

It's funny that Biggz mentioned South Florida because they're the team I like the most in this conference. They've been building that program steadily and they're almost there. The match up I'm most anticipating is West Virginia playing AT South Florida, a game I think USF will win. Rutgers has a steady ground attack with Ray Rice and they're out to prove they're legit. Louisville's got perhaps the best pro qb prospect in Brohm, but it's just not enough.

Big East Champion: Rutgers

Big Ten Conference

Illinois

Indiana

Iowa

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Northwestern

Ohio State

Pennsylvania State

Purdue

Wisconsin

Ohio State and Iowa (who doesn't play Michigan or Ohio State) are both scary teams and Purdue's going to get a big upset this year, probably at home against Notre Dame, but the two front runners for me are Wisconsin and Michigan. I just think Michigan has too much fire power on offense and too good of a defensive coordinator in Ron English to not get it done.

Big Ten Champion: Michigan

Big Twelve Conference

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

Nebraska

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Not a lot to talk about here. Like Biggz said, Texas/Oklahoma plays Nebraska. I think Nebraska goes all the way here though.

Big Twelve Champion: Nebraska

Pacific Ten Conference

Arizona

Arizona State

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

Southern California

Washington

Washington State

USC is the easy choice here, only because nobody else is really stepping it up in the conference right now and Oregon has a tough schedule, going to hte Big House. That said, Oregon also gets to host USC and they will win that game. It won't be enough to stop the Trojans, but it will at least provide a nice shake-up.

Pacific Ten Champion: Southern California

Southeastern Conference

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vanderbilt

Alabama

Arkansas

Auburn University

Louisiana State

Mississippi

Mississippi State

You can make a legit case for probably eight of these teams to win the SEC. I don't Tebow's going to be consistent enough for Florida, I don't think Georgia has the offensive weapons, and Tennessee's still got quarterback issues. Alabama has Saban, but that's going to take more than this year. I think it really comes down to who has the best player, that one player who can elevate a team to another level when need be. That man is Darren McFadden.

Southeastern Conference Champion: Arkansas

I'm not going to bother with the bowl predictions, but I will predict the national title game in somewhat of a surprise. For me, Michigan's the sure thing. Biggzay may have been first, but I'll jump on the bandwagon. Nebraska beats USC in week two and rides that momentum all the way to an undefeated Big 12 season, which is good enough to get them to the big game. But loyalty forces me to pick against them and go with Michigan as the national champs.

BCS National Championship: Michigan d. Nebraska

Heisman Trophy Winner: Darren McFadden over Colt Brennan, Mario Manningham, Ray Rice, and Marlon Lucky

i'm not that good at predicting conference winners...anyways, I believe that Brian Brohm of Louisville has a great chance at taking the Heismen this year...he has got to be the best quarterback, no, make that player, in the NCAA this year...I hate to say this (because I hate this team with a passion), but I believe that USC will win the whole thing this year, because other than Notre Dame & UCLA, they don't even play anyone...so, USC over LSU in the BCS National Championship Game

ACC Champ: Virginia Tech

Big 12 Champ: Nebraska

Big 10 Champ: Wisconsin

Big East Champ: West Virginia

C-USA Champ: Houston

MAC Champ: Western Michigan

Mountain West Champ: TCU

Pac-10 Champ: USC

SEC Champ: Arkansas

WAC Champ: Hawaii

idk how to determain who goes to the bowls

i'm not that good at predicting conference winners...anyways, I believe that Brian Brohm of Louisville has a great chance at taking the Heismen this year...he has got to be the best quarterback, no, make that player, in the NCAA this year...I hate to say this (because I hate this team with a passion), but I believe that USC will win the whole thing this year, because other than Notre Dame & UCLA, they don't even play anyone...so, USC over LSU in the BCS National Championship Game

ACC Champ: Boston College

Big 12 Champ: Texas

Big 10 Champ: Wisconsin

Big East Champ: South Florida

C-USA Champ: Houston

MAC Champ: Western Michigan

Mountain West Champ: TCU

Pac-10 Champ: UCLA

SEC Champ: LSU

WAC Champ: Boise State

I like OkSt to beat Georgia between the hedges early on.

There is a reason they are a sexy pick. Wisconsin has always been a solid team, and the coaching changes weren't major as he was under the Wisconsin master for awhile before taking over. What makes them a solid choice this year is that they have their QB back, their HB back (who has slimmed down and gotten faster btw), and a very solid defense. They didn't lose much outside of Joe Thomas but they breed OL at that university. They'll finish in the top three as it'll be Michigan/Wisconsin/Ohio St. all battling for it there. The question with OSU comes down to the offense. They lost one of the best college QB's and their two main recievers. The reason why I have put them as a contender this year is because they don't have a strong schedule outside of their normal Big 10 work which gives their offense time to gel while their defense holds people. But overall, I think Wisconsin and Michigan have better teams for this year and I think Wisconsin has a chance to finish undefeated or with one loss this year. I think the Big 10 boils down to the Wisconsin/Michigan match-up with Ohio State playing a potential spoiler in Ann Arbor.

upon further review, I shall divulge all that I can on my thoughts for the new season.

ACC

Boston College is my pick to win the Title (they'll beat GT in the title game). 10 wins is very possible, and likely. They won't lose to NCst or Miami again this year, and outside of an ambush at VT, BC could potentially run the table. 18 starters and 44 total lettermen back make what was a formidable squad last yeart look damn good. Two all-americans on D (Toal/Tribble) and the returning Ryan/Whitworth combo on O .... yeah, the Eagles are going to be good.

The rest of the conference is a clusterfuck of "could be really good" teams. Clemson/FSU/VT/WF/GT all could be in the Title game, and all have the ability to win 8-10 games. Of the group, I really like GT. Then again, you've got a Maryland team that won 9 last year and somehow isn't even getting press time on the back page of the sports section. Yeah, the ACC has some damn good teams this year and the champion just might have two conference losses.

My ACC Upset - October 27th Clemson goes to Maryland and forgets to fear the Turtle.

Big East

South Florida will emerge from what just might be the most closely knit BCS conference. Rut/WV/Lou are the 'three headed monster' and will likely beat each other up. This kind of scenario leaves a two loss team as a possible champion. South Florida has the formula to do just that, and if the losses fall right, they could sneak by the 'big three.' It's no secret that SF has been pulling recruits out from under the nose of FSU/FU/Miami for just about 5 years now, so why is it such a secret that they're good ? Oh, yeah, people were blinded by the storybook Big East last year. Not so this year. The bulls return 20 starters and 53 letterman. Not only that, but JC transfer Mike Ford could make Ray Rice look like a chump.

You've then got the afore mentioned big three. WV has shown it has what it takes, and has also fallen flat on its face when it mattered. Until they hold the crown AND win the bowl game .... I can't pick em. Louisville will probably win it, but I like the make up of the bulls, and Rutgers will be really good but I see it hard for them to match last year.

My Big East upset - September 8th USF visits Auburn and wakes up the world.

Big Ten

Wisconsin is loaded. 18 starters and 49 lettermen return to the Badger squad that won 12 last year. Sure, they catch OSU/Mich this year, but OSU is vunerable, and Mich is vulnerable and is at home. In the land of big tough football, no one is bigger or tougher than the Badgers. PJ Hill destroys people, and he carries the ball. The D is disgustingly good, and the O only needs Donovan to be OK in order to be good enough to win.

The rest of the bunch stacks up in typical fashion. Mich/PSU/OSU all might be a little light on returning starters, but are all too good to fall more than a spot or two from their finishes last year. Of the three, I like PSU to finish behind Wisc with the winner of the Mich/OSU game to decide the 3/4 slot. However, Purdue has a chance to do some damage. They return 20 starters and 54 lettermen - the most of any in the conference. If anyone does something the shouldn't in the Big Ten, it'll be the Boilermakers.

My Big Ten upset - November 10th Illinois goes to the Horshoe, and the Juice gets loose.

Big 12

Texas barely gets the nod (they'll beat Nebraska in the title game). If OU returned their starting QB, they'd get the spot. They don't, and the Horns do so here we are. I see no reason for the Horns not to continue their 10 win string this season. The offense returns the three major cogs, and the defense can only be better than it was against the pass last year.

Like the ACC, the Big 12 appears to be riddled with teams that "could be really good." Mizzou/Neb/OkSt/A&M all have reasonable arguments for a spot in the title game. Then you've got a Kst team that remembered it doesn't belong at the bottom, and a Tech team that always manages to beat a team better than them. Hell, even Kansas went bowling and Baylor has finally decided to at least show up.

My Big 12 upset - September 1st Oklahoma State wins between the hedges at Georgia

Conference USA

Houston edges out Southern Miss here. 17 starters and 52 lettermen will do that. Kolb is gone, but won't be missed as much as people think. The core of the team returns and is very good. 10 wins can be duplicated.

Outside of Southern Miss, the only other team in Conference USA that I think could break out is UCF. A new stadium (with Texas as the first opponent) and 19 starters back is a good thing to build on. That, and Kevin Smith is damn good. Besides, the bad luck has to turn around for them. Look for the turnovers to finally go away.

My Conference USA upset - Houston gets two shots Sept 1st @ Oregon and October 6th @ Bama ... they WILL win one of those games.

Pac 10

UCLA gets my nod because of the Pac 10 suffering from Big East syndrome. UCLA will simply have things fall right. They'll beat either Cal or USC (perhaps both), and this year won't lose to a team that they shouldn't. Olson is healthy and has 20 other returning starters along with 49 lettermen to play with this year. Cal is at home, and the always dangerous at home Oregon has to come south.

Of course, you've got Cal/USC and nothing else really needs to be said. UCLA will beat at least one of them, and both of these schools will pull a boner a la USC at OrgSt last year. Speaking of the Beavers, they very well could sneak into the thick of things. They did win 9 other games to go with that banner USC day.

My Pac 10 upset - Sept 22nd Arizona ruins Cal's year, again

SEC

LSU heads a decent group of teams in the West (they'll beat South Carolina). The offense might lag at times, but LSU doesn't need points to win. As always, the D can and will win games for them this year. Especially good for the Bayou Bengals this year is the fact that Arkansas/Auburn/Florida all come to town. They don't play UT or UGA. The schedule is primed for LSU to have a nationally spotlighted year.

The rest of the bunch is a toss up. I like South Carolina to edge out the rest of the bunch. They were dangerous last year and will be good this year. Florida will be good, but lost too many people not to drop off some. Tenn deosn't have depth, and UGA has been slowly but surely making its way backward. Of course, the Dogs only have 4 road games all freakin year. Arkansas will be very good again, but might be a one trick pony. Of course, they too only have 4 road games all year ... but they go to LSU and Tenn. Watch out for Kentucky though. Woodson is really damned good and they get FU/Tenn/LSU at home.

My SEC upset - September 15th UK ambushes Louisville in a sea of blue

WAC

Boise State will make it two in a row. The Broncs have had no problem replacing people and won't this year. Enough of the team from last year returns, and their only conference test (Hawaii) is at the end of the year. What people forgot in all the trickeration last year, is that the Broncs were actually good on the field.

Hawaii is the team that can take the crown, and also has a good shot at crashing the BCS party if it can run the table. Fresno St should be back to being dangerous. Watch out for NMSU's Texas Tech like passing attack to notch them a couple of more wins. Even SJSU could sneak out another good season (they won 9 last year).

My WAC upset - September 1st/8th SJSU goes to Arizona State and Kansas State respectively. Don't be surprised if they get one of those.

MWC

TCU will regain the throne. The defense is amazing as always, and the offense might be better than it has the last few years. They are a complete team and don't really make mistakes for others to take advantage of. Good coaching will help the transition to a new QB, as will a line that returns 3 from a unit that only allowed 15 sacks.

BYU lost quite a bit of offense, but it was only in the stat department. Plenty return to keep them towards the top. Then you have Utah, who has the people coming back, but on defense that isn't necessarily good. Wyoming played well last year and will likely do the same. The team that has the chance to make the most noise however, is CSU. 20 starters back is a good thing, but the schedule is killer.

My MWC upset - September 8th TCU beats the Horns in Austin

MAC

Western Michigan should emerge from the pack (they'll beat Ohio). D is the key. All four down linemen return, as does the secondary that led D-1 ball with 24 picks last year (4 went for TD's). They get CMU at home and that is the other key.

CMU and Ohio should do just about what they did last year. CMU could once again roll up the points and yards while Solich's boys should again grind out wins. Other than that, Only NIU has anything that might turn into something noteworthy in the conference. For all it's accomplishments since 2000, this year looks to be a return to the MIDDLE of the athletic conferences.

My MAC upset - Temple will win 3 conference games

Sun Belt

Arkansas State is going to ruin the parade for Troy. 20 starters and 53 lettermen return to a team that lost to Troy by a TD. Arnold was a Freshman All American and gives the Indians a very dangerous threat at RB.

Troy will be good, as will MTSU. Outside of a possible return to prominance from North Texas, there isn't much else to talk about in the Sun Belt. The Mean Green do return 10 on D, but it will be how quickly they adapt to Dodge's offense that tells the tale.

My Sun Belt upset - September 15th FAU flushes out the Gophers in Miami

Upset alert

Other than the ones I've named above, other games on the schedule look to be very dangerous. Others just seem like good fun.

Appalachian State @ Michigan (The two time defending 1-AA champs get their shot at a 1-A powerhouse. What game it would be if things fell into place.)

East Carolina @ West Virginia (This was a tough, hard hitting game last year. Can the Irate Pirates pull a fast one ?)

K State @ Auburn (The Cats beat Texas last year, and Auburn might be vulnerable enough to slip.)

New Hampshire @ Marshall (Didn't the Hamp beat Northwestern last year ? Marshall could get reaped by the successfull transition they've sown.)

Nebraska @ USC (More than likely it will be a decent game with USC pulling away. It has a chance to be on ESPN Classic later that night.)

Portland State @ SDSU (The Aztecs have been bad lately, and the Glanville led Vikings might be up to the task.)

Maryland @ Rutgers (This one just seems like it good be good 'ol fun.)

Southern Miss @ Tenn (Maybe, just maybe.)

Fresno State @ A&M (They got on the map by beating Giants at their place ... could they get back there by knocking down Kyle Field ?)

upon further review, I shall divulge all that I can on my thoughts for the new season.

ACC

Boston College is my pick to win the Title (they'll beat GT in the title game). 10 wins is very possible, and likely. They won't lose to NCst or Miami again this year, and outside of an ambush at VT, BC could potentially run the table. 18 starters and 44 total lettermen back make what was a formidable squad last yeart look damn good. Two all-americans on D (Toal/Tribble) and the returning Ryan/Whitworth combo on O .... yeah, the Eagles are going to be good.

The rest of the conference is a clusterfuck of "could be really good" teams. Clemson/FSU/VT/WF/GT all could be in the Title game, and all have the ability to win 8-10 games. Of the group, I really like GT. Then again, you've got a Maryland team that won 9 last year and somehow isn't even getting press time on the back page of the sports section. Yeah, the ACC has some damn good teams this year and the champion just might have two conference losses.

My ACC Upset - October 27th Clemson goes to Maryland and forgets to fear the Turtle.

I know it's still the first half, but Michigan looks like they're playing TERRIBLY!

Appalachian State just scored again, and now lead 28-14. I'd be VERY worried if you're a Michigan fan unless they come out in the 2nd half and blow the doors off.