Skate

Fanku Kaibutsu

For those that don't know, Skate is a skateboarding game, much like the Tony Hawk series. Unlike the Tony Hawk games, it's somewhat vaguely grounded in reality. I've been playing the demo over the past couple days, and it's been great fun(except for re-doing the tutorial every time I play). Tricks are done by moving the right stick, spins done with the left stick, grabs are done with the shoulder buttons and right stick. There's no 'jump' button, no 'grind' button, and no stats. You jump by jumping by flicking the right stick, you grind by landing on rails or edges, or whatever, and you're only limited by your ability at the game.

While you may not be able to grind on top of power lines, or break through glass windows, or do a 900 grabtrick followed by a triple fliptrick on one jump, what you can accomplish in Skate looks better than the THPS games, due to the animations being much more fluid and realistic than in the Tony Hawk series. The game also records the past 30 seconds of gameplay, and allows you to edit and upload the footage to EA's website.For example. 'Nother example. Neither example was made by me.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from word of mouth, I was really pumped about this game. But then I played the demo. Ugh. The camera angle is downright terrible and the controls seem too jammed together for my tastes. Using two* buttons just for pushing seems kind of pointless, to me at least.

Different strokes for different folks though, I guess. But I know I'll be picking up THPG instead.

*EDIT

Edited by Jack Krauser III

The reason this game is getting all the hype is because instead of punching in a button combo to do a grind, for example, you have to actually be aware of your approach, the position of your board, and your speed to pull it off. In Tony Hawk, doing a flip trick into a grind into a manual doesn’t feel rewarding because it’s too easy, whereas in skate, doing that same combo feels rewarding because you actually did the combo instead of hitting the right button combinations.

I DLed the Proving Grounds demo, and I'm a big fan of the Tony Hawk games, I've played all of them and have owned half of them, but I just can't see my self going back the the TH engine after playing Skate. I'm intrigued by the branching storyline aspect, and I think the ability to build things in the level on the fly is brilliant, but the game just doesn't seem as engaging or challenging or satisfying as Skate.

I've made a valuable discovery: It's possible to escape the skate park in the demo!

Next to the ditch/pool-thing are two rails in a line, you can follow this line up and down some hills to a chainlink fence. This fence is important. Start skating at the opposite end of the park from this fence. You should be able to see the space beyond this fence from where you start skating, at best, it should be empty white/blueish space. Get up as much speed as you can and ollie at the fence, and pause the game right before you hit the fence. Go into the replay menu, and rewind it back to the opposite side of the park. The game should unload the area around the fence, including the fence itself, so when you unpause it, you should be surrounded by an empty void. Quickly re-pause the game to allow it to load the area. When you un-pause, you should be outside of the fence.

There's a pretty sizeable area around the park you can play with, but the game'll crash if you go too far, or get hit by a car.