OH DEAR GOD YES. Eargasms.

Guest Angry Baboon

Guest Angry Baboon

Details Emerge on Björk's Medulla

Beatboxing members of Spoon, Flaming Lips still waiting for that invite

Miles Barger reports:

If you've been following Pitchfork's recent news coverage of Björk, you already know that the diminutive diva's follow-up to 2001's icy Vespertine sports the title Medulla, and that it will feature, in typical Björkian fashion, contributions from her innumerable artist freak pals. If you were reading closely, you also know that one of these contributors is a Japanese beatbox artist named Dokaka. What you didn't know is that Björk apparently has plans to base much of the album-- if not its entirety-- on rhythmic structures created by mouth alone.

In a recent Rolling Stone article, Björk proclaimed that "instruments are so over." So, uh, what does that mean? Well, it means that, according to Billboard, Medulla will rely primarily on vocals, with Björk barking her charmingly broken English lyrics over beatbox rhythms. To this end, she's employed not just Dokaka, but also Shlomo (reportedly "the next step for the UK beatbox") and beatboxing legend Rahzel-- best known as a current member of The Roots, but formerly a collaborator with Grandmaster Flash and LL Cool J-- who will provide the equivalent of basslines for many of Medulla's 14 tracks.

The mouthbeats will, of course, be accompanied by more melodic vocal sounds, ranging from the trained classicism of Gregory Purnhagen and the Icelandic and London choirs, to the wildly original sounds provided by Inuit throat-singer Tanya Tagaq, and Mike Patton, the shrieking madman behind Mr. Bungle and Faith No More. Additionally, Matmos, Múm's Valgeir Sigurdsson, Olivier Alary (of Rephlex recording artists Ensemble), and Jake Davies (who has mixed previous releases by Björk, Madonna, William Orbit, and others) will contribute their programming skills.

It seems that all this reliance on the larynx stems from Björk's desire to mind-meld with Mother Nature. In an interview appearing in this month's W Magazine, Björk revealed that she was inspired by "paganism, and the rather esoteric idea of returning to a universe that is entirely human-- without tools or religion or nationalities."

Medulla is set to be released on August 31st via Elektra Records, and will appear in both CD and SACD formats. Also, Björk djörks should take note that a limited edition of the LP will feature expanded artwork and a 16-panel poster. The first single is expected to be "Oceania", which Björk is scheduled to perform live at the Olympic Games in Athens. Tracklist:

01 Pleasure Is All Mine

02 Show Me forgiveness

03 Where Is the Line?

04 Vokuro

05 Öll Birtan

06 Who Is It (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)

07 Submarine

08 Desired Constellation

09 Oceania

10 Sonnets/Unrealities XI

11 Piano II

12 Mouths Cradle

13 Wednesday (Midvikudags)

14 Triumph of a Heart

Mike Patton rocks at stuff like this. He did some vocal songs with John Zorn if I remember correctly, so I look forward to his input. I was listening to Squeeze me Macaroni when I read this, too. God bless you. Two of the best on the same album.

Vespertine was a bit rubbish, but this sounds quirky and awesome, just like her old stuff.

PLEASE GET LEAKED PLEASE GET LEAKED PLEASE GET LEAKED OH GOD PLEASE

Guest Ringmaster

I didn't really like Vespertine, but this sounds.... interesting, to say the least. I'll definitaly check it out. And hey, if Squancho says its good, then I guess it should be.

This could very well be one of my favorite Bjork records. Which isn't saying much, since I have never ever been a fan of hers. But Rahzel and Mike Patton?!? Holy shit, this could very well be awesome.

I didn't really like Vespertine, but this sounds.... interesting, to say the least. I'll definitaly check it out. And hey, if Squancho says its good, then I guess it should be.

Correction.

If Squancho says its good, he's probably overrating it ;) >_>

Guest Ringmaster

Correction.

If Squancho says its good, he's probably overrating it  ;) >_>

Na, Squancho has, pretty much, the best musical taste on the board. And by best, I mean the one most similar to mine :shifty:.

Guest MuRd0K

Bah, this is one of the only Squancho's music I don't like.

Bjork is amazingly annoying to me, she has never got into me and consider her a weird-looking slut.

However, besides him liking Bjork, he's my musical guru, as he gives me pixies, Dinosaur Jr, and he introuced me to Alice In Chains