Assassin's Creed Thread

I have a feeling this is going to be Lair all over again, tons of hype and a huge letdown. It would be a complete shame if that's the case, it's always saddening to see new IPs flop. But yeah, the gameplay sounds dreadful... hope I'm wrong though.

I don't get all the ragging on short games though. Maybe it's just me, but I don't have time for the 80 hour level-up fests of the RPG days.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to a two hour movie costs $10. Owning an eight hour video game (that you can play as many times as you want) costs $60.

It's not a matter of technology should make games longer - although it has, Super Mario Bros. can be beaten in less than ten minutes. The only reason those games feel longer is because they are so frustratingly difficult with cheap deaths, pitfalls, two continues, etc.

Give me an eight hour fun game instead of a twenty hour game with ten hours of boring filler stages. Replay value does not equal length and they've tried to fix that with achievements, hidden unlockables, bonus characters, items to collect, etc. I'm not saying that all games should be Heavenly Sword's length, but I don't think that should be a damning critique of the game. If you don't wanna pay $60 for a shorter game that's why there's Gamefly and Blockbuster.

I agree. I love mixing longer games with short sharp fun - Heavenly Sword I loved massively. Also MGS 1,2 and 3 I adore and they're hardly mammoth in length. It doesn't take anything away from them though in my opinion.

Having said that, there's something about a ridiculously long game (like Oblivion) that is beautifully crafted that brings a smile to my lips.

A long and boring or pointless game though.....Ugh.

EDIT: Still, a worrying number of next gen games HAVE been a bit short - Stranglehold, Bioshock, Halo 3, Heavenly Sword, Medal of Honour: Airborne etc.....

Not taking away from the QUALITY but it would be nice to have some well crafted 20 hour+ games. I DO think Assassin's Creed has some life, especially if it's true that one of the design team has completed the basic game in 8 hours and they'll have played it A LOT and know the score with it. On top of that you've got the Templars, the roof stuff, the flags to collect etc etc. I think it'll happily fill 20 hours, especially for me as I tend to take my time on such games- I HATE rushing through games. Also, as with Hitman, I'll imagine afterwards I'll go back to try to be slicker and smarter with how I do things.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

The thing with Assassin's Creed is that is has an open, beatiful world. I don't know about you guys, but whenever I play games like this, I like to explore and look at the sights. There are always cool things to find, so that should make it a bit longer. I'm sure you could probably fly through the game in 10 hours or so if you really wanted to, but (as with all games) if you do everything it'll take considerably longer.

The first major AC review is out. Game Informer just gave it a 9.5! That’s just .25 less then what Galaxy, Halo 3, ME, and Orange Box got.

Assassin’s Creed is the type of game that comes along only rarely – a title that innovates in so many areas it helps to set a new bar in various aspects of gameplay, storytelling, visuals, and controls. Simultaneously, it’s an imperfect game in which the small flaws that mar its sheen are all the more noticeable because so much of the rest of the game shines so brightly. Deep, engaging, and surprising from beginning to end, Assassin’s Creed’s merits will be debated for a long time. However, as a brave attempt at delivering something unique and audacious, it excels.
Edited by abundant

Playing through MGS1 in a tuxedo was brilliant (Y)

Last time I was playing through MGS3 I was going after every Keratin frog. It's taken me into buildings and situations that I completely avoided on more "serious" routes through.

That and the Keratin frog camo makes a noice when you're near a frog which alerts guards meaning you have to improve your sneaking!

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

I just read some interesting comments from people who are reviewing/know someone who’s reviewing. Basically, AC is going to turn out to be a polarizing game like Crackdown. If you love to explore a lot and plan out your assassins/escape, you’ll love it, otherwise, just like Crackdown, you can do the bare minimum, run in, get the kills, then escape, which would be boring to some.

I just read some interesting comments from people who are reviewing/know someone who’s reviewing. Basically, AC is going to turn out to be a polarizing game like Crackdown. If you love to explore a lot and plan out your assassins/escape, you’ll love it, otherwise, just like Crackdown, you can do the bare minimum, run in, get the kills, then escape, which would be boring to some.

As I've always been the former then that's good news (Y)

Hell, Hitman always pushes me too quickly as I'd rather stake out and plan for a good hour beforehand.

I've always wanted there to be a good SAS game where you have to creep into the forest, crawl towards a target, scope it out for a good long time to see what the guards are doing, before going back to your squad and leading a quick, brutal attack.

Beautiful.

The 13th is the shipdate. Unless it’s Street Dated, the majority of stores (especially on the west coast) won’t receive the game until the following day. It’s been like this for a long time.

They sure are marketing this hard. The debut commercial aired during the biggest NFL game of the week, they get a special showing on FX on Monday, now they had three long trailers air during South Park. This game is going to be huge.

Edited by abundant

Again, the 13th is the shipdate, where the game goes from the warehouse to the airport, then it is flown to cities around the country. Usually most stores won’t receive it than, instead, on the following day, UPS or Fed Ex picks up the shipment at the airport, than they deliver it to the stores. Remember, this doesn’t apply to every store, just the majority.

Now, if the game has a Street Date, like Halo or Madden, the shipments go out weeks prior to the Street Date.